Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is it worth doing a Pharmacy degree?, with the current job prospects in M'sia

views

TSblackangelxx
post Jan 30 2015, 02:25 PM, updated 10y ago

10 posts

hi everyone.
I'm just applied for B.pharm in XX university.but I'm starting to regret after applying as i came through some of the acticles and the discussion in some forum that there is no prospect for pharmacist.
somemore, the number of future pharmacist( future graduates) are really too many with less job available and i just want to start into the course.is that a bit too late? cry.gif

Here I get a part of an acticle about the ratio of pharmacist to malaysian.

"To ensure an equitable distribution of pharmacies in the country, the ministry and the Malaysian Pharmacy Association had developed the Malaysian Healthcare Providers Mapping Service.

Currently, the ratio of pharmacists to the population in Malaysia is 1:2,947 people and by 2016 it is expected to reach the optimum ratio of 1:2,000 people set by the World Health Organisation. - Bernama"

I hope to get some advises from you all about the prospect and job demand .is pharmacy worth to study?
do not forgt to mention that i love bio and the other course i'm thiking is Bachelor of dental surgery(BDS).

This post has been edited by blackangelxx: Jan 30 2015, 03:21 PM
TSblackangelxx
post Jan 31 2015, 02:01 PM

10 posts

Any experiences to share ?
chiahau
post Jan 31 2015, 03:17 PM

Fatthau StalKer
All Stars
14,074 posts

QUOTE(Manada @ Jan 31 2015, 02:29 PM)
No worries. Albeit the ratio is a little bit depressing, they do not highlight the amount of brilliant pharmacy graduates.

And what separates you from the rest of your counterparts, is your grade. Some might graduate with 3rd class and 2nd class, but a few graduates with a 1st class honors.

So strive for the best, so that you get the advantage. And also, know more people who work in your field, so you will be able to easily seek help once you graduate.

Networking + Excellent score = You're on your way to superstardom.
The ratio mostly reflect upon the condition in Klang Valley.

In outskirts areas, the need for Pharmacist is still great.

And tbh, if you're going for a "professional" job like doctors or pharmacist, networking ain't something they should strive in during their years of education lol
chiahau
post Jan 31 2015, 05:18 PM

Fatthau StalKer
All Stars
14,074 posts

QUOTE(Manada @ Jan 31 2015, 04:21 PM)
But then as a pharmacist they can work in private firms right besides hospitals? If they know people from private pharmaceutical firms, then isn't it better?
You'll need to get the license 1st unless you plan to go industry route for research immediately.

Being a pharmacist is nothing special, I know a friend who quit his job as a pharmacist to open his own gym laugh.gif
TSblackangelxx
post Feb 1 2015, 12:17 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(Manada @ Jan 31 2015, 02:29 PM)
No worries. Albeit the ratio is a little bit depressing, they do not highlight the amount of brilliant pharmacy graduates.

And what separates you from the rest of your counterparts, is your grade. Some might graduate with 3rd class and 2nd class, but a few graduates with a 1st class honors.

So strive for the best, so that you get the advantage. And also, know more people who work in your field, so you will be able to easily seek help once you graduate.

Networking + Excellent score = You're on your way to superstardom.
Thanks for your replying. It's really comfort me☺️ As I'm really worrying about the future and when I graduate it's ady year 2019. Everything has changed.
Do you know whether can a Pharmacy degree holder to work as phamaceutical chemist?
What I wish to work in future is actually phamaceutical chemist but I do research and I found that it's better to hold a pharmacy degree as there is more option of career included pharmaceutical industry.
TSblackangelxx
post Feb 1 2015, 12:21 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(chiahau @ Jan 31 2015, 05:18 PM)
You'll need to get the license 1st unless you plan to go industry route for research immediately.

Being a pharmacist is nothing special, I know a friend who quit his job as a pharmacist to open his own gym laugh.gif
Hi hi thanks for your reply 😉 do you mind to share the experience of your friend ? Why is he/she gives up to be pharmacist?
i also more interested in doing research or manucfaturing drug instead of just selling or dispensing drugs. It's like more challenging. The license you mean is license to be a registered pharmacist ?
TSblackangelxx
post Feb 1 2015, 12:29 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(Manada @ Feb 1 2015, 12:21 AM)
It's my pleasure to instill motivation and faith into young ambitious men and women like you. Regarding your question about phamaceutical chemist, I have no idea. You might need a license to practice in pharmaceutical companies.
Are you a pharmacist?
Hahah. Actually I just want to relief myself by confirm that a BPHARM graduates can go for phamaceutical industry. Quite scare to go for the wrong pathway
chiahau
post Feb 1 2015, 12:29 AM

Fatthau StalKer
All Stars
14,074 posts

QUOTE(blackangelxx @ Feb 1 2015, 12:21 AM)
Hi hi thanks for your reply 😉 do you mind to share the experience of your friend ? Why is he/she gives up to be pharmacist?
i also more interested in doing research or manucfaturing drug instead of just selling or dispensing drugs. It's like more challenging. The license you mean is license to be a registered pharmacist ?
Yes. If you don't get a license to be a registered pharmacist, it's kinda a waste.

Industry pays well, yes. But they also have higher chance to be laid off if bad economy and etc as well.

Depends on how you look at it.

And he decided that the time spend on the job is not worth the money he's getting tongue.gif

Now he's a boss of a gym and raking in some good money laugh.gif
kumiko_91
post Feb 2 2015, 01:30 AM

这个世界有咁大,你又点玩嗮~
1,053 posts

QUOTE(blackangelxx @ Jan 30 2015, 02:25 PM)
hi everyone.
I'm just applied for B.pharm in XX university.but I'm starting to regret after applying as i came through some of the acticles and the discussion in some forum that there is no prospect for pharmacist.
somemore, the number of future pharmacist( future graduates) are really too many with less job available and i just want to start into the course.is that a bit too late? cry.gif

Here I get a part of an acticle about the ratio of pharmacist to malaysian.

"To ensure an equitable distribution of pharmacies in the country, the ministry and the Malaysian Pharmacy Association had developed the Malaysian Healthcare Providers Mapping Service.

Currently, the ratio of pharmacists to the population in Malaysia is 1:2,947 people and by 2016 it is expected to reach the optimum ratio of 1:2,000 people set by the World Health Organisation. - Bernama"
I hope to get some advises from you all about the prospect and job demand .is pharmacy worth to study?
do not forgt to mention that i love bio and the other course i'm thiking is Bachelor of dental surgery(BDS).
I had a friend, graduate last year in pharmacy, didn't found any suitable job. End up being a sales in Guardian. At least you can still tell people that you work in a pharmacy. Lol.

This post has been edited by kumiko_91: Feb 2 2015, 01:31 AM
limeuu
post Feb 2 2015, 12:22 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

at the rate pharmacists are mass produced in msia, similar to doctors, there will be a surplus by the time you graduate....

the best and well trains pharmacists (and doctors) will always be in demand....but in a scenario of surplus, there will be competition and some people will not find jobs....so ask yourself, are you a straight a student and the best?...the problem with msia is that many mediocre students get into such professional courses, and these are the people who will face problems in fighting for jobs....

and @manada, you obviously don't know much about pharmacy, and should not be giving advises....and normally in professional courses, there are no such thing as 1st, 2nd class honours etc...

This post has been edited by limeuu: Feb 2 2015, 12:24 PM
TSblackangelxx
post Feb 3 2015, 01:30 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Feb 2 2015, 12:22 PM)
at the rate pharmacists are mass produced in msia, similar to doctors, there will be a surplus by the time you graduate....

the best and well trains pharmacists (and doctors) will always be in demand....but in a scenario of surplus, there will be competition and some people will not find jobs....so ask yourself, are you a straight a student and the best?...the problem with msia is that many mediocre students get into such professional courses, and these are the people who will face problems in fighting for jobs....

and @manada, you obviously don't know much about pharmacy, and should not be giving advises....and normally in professional courses, there are no such thing as 1st, 2nd class honours etc...
Hello! Thanks for giving your point😉😉
Yes. You're right. And that's why I'm worried if wouldn't be able to find a job in the future. Furthermore the year when I graduated must be a even more competitive than now. I may not the best but if I choosing it then I must putting in more and more effort and strike for the best.
Hahah it's okay lah. Nvm for telling wrong view. And thanks again for pointing out. I think manada wants to share that the quality graduates will definitely be in demand as you mentioned but just in the wrong way.
TSblackangelxx
post Feb 3 2015, 01:33 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(kumiko_91 @ Feb 2 2015, 01:30 AM)
I had a friend, graduate last year in pharmacy, didn't found any suitable job. End up being a sales in Guardian. At least you can still tell people that you work in a pharmacy. Lol.
Hi hi ! Thanks for sharing your friend's experience☺️
Is she/he enjoy working in guardian ? Or has your friend ever thinking of going oversea and seek for a job ?
TSblackangelxx
post Feb 3 2015, 01:34 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(chiahau @ Feb 1 2015, 12:29 AM)
Yes. If you don't get a license to be a registered pharmacist, it's kinda a waste.

Industry pays well, yes. But they also have higher chance to be laid off if bad economy and etc as well.

Depends on how you look at it.

And he decided that the time spend on the job is not worth the money he's getting tongue.gif

Now he's a boss of a gym and raking in some good money  laugh.gif
Everyone has their choice. And your friend seems like have make a choice that he would be really enjoy on it. Thanks for telling so many biggrin.gif
kumiko_91
post Feb 9 2015, 05:23 PM

这个世界有咁大,你又点玩嗮~
1,053 posts

QUOTE(blackangelxx @ Feb 3 2015, 01:33 AM)
Is she/he enjoy working in guardian ? Or has your friend ever thinking of going oversea and seek for a job ?
She never thought of going overseas. Well, she had to work there then, or else she'll be jobless. At least now she can advise on beauty products and some off-the-counter medicines. But it is a job that doesn't even need a degree, so her degree is kind of wasted.
moonchildjk P
post Dec 14 2019, 04:12 PM

Probation
2 posts

I just want to ask if how are the job prospects of pharmacy now and how long we have to wait to get posting. There are quite a lot of people saying that graduates of pharmacy are going into sale and marketing. And I thought it would be good if I could get your answer as I’m choosing course (Pharmacy is one of my choices) to study now after finishing my pre-u.
MGM
post Dec 15 2019, 09:31 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,387 posts

B4 going overseas, have to see whether your qualification is recognised.
limeuu
post Dec 18 2019, 08:22 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ Dec 15 2019, 09:31 AM)
B4 going overseas, have to see whether your qualification is recognised.
A common misconception by many people....they think you can just walk into any country and start work....

Healthcare sector is the most regulated industry....the most difficult to cross borders to work....
Nothing_12345 P
post Jun 29 2020, 03:45 PM

Probation
25 posts

Hi, I know this is a 5years-ago-thread, but I wanted to ask if there's anyone that's working as a community pharmacist? Are there still vacancies for this position? As far as I know, many of the pharmacist will end up in pharmaceutical industry (not sure any of them end up in sales or marketing but yeah, it seems like community pharmacy are quite saturated?) I'm not that keen in doing research or lab work 24/7 so if I'm going for it I might aim for becoming a community pharmacy, just worried that the 6-years course might be a waste if I'm not doing what I want upon graduation (hope it doesn't sound harsh)
invest2229
post Feb 21 2022, 05:46 PM

On my way
615 posts

Believe medical or pharmacy related field will continue demanding as human getting more threats from virus.. Agreed ?
Haloperidol
post Feb 21 2022, 07:05 PM

Regular
1,211 posts

QUOTE(invest2229 @ Feb 21 2022, 05:46 PM)
Believe medical or pharmacy related field will continue demanding as human getting more threats from virus.. Agreed ?
It depends on what you want
More and more graduated pharmacist around , and now with a higher demand, it just able to fit into the supply-demand balance...
For government posting it is still .. yeah , year-by-year renewal basis contract.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0261sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:53 PM