Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Rolex / Tudor Watches Club V1, Is time to have this now?

views

friedricetheman
post Nov 27 2016, 10:11 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(Apple_DarreN @ Nov 27 2016, 01:13 AM)
Went to an AD today to have a closer look at the Sub & batman but however all of them are not in stock except for the LN GMT Master2. Took that on the wrist for a quick size test and wow did it fit me perfectly.

I have trouble wearing watches as of my tiny wrist but Rolex's sport model's case size and its proportion is just amazing.

I guess I know what to aim for now.

#justSharing
Apple_DarreN
The Submariner is also the same size as the GMT at 40mm. But the Sub C's bezel is cleaner and less cluttered than GMT's.

I have the Sub C and bought it because it looks less cluttered than the GMT.

[attachmentid=8147030]

This post has been edited by friedricetheman: Nov 27 2016, 10:24 PM
friedricetheman
post Nov 28 2016, 09:48 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

I am a huge fan of Rolex watches. Their quality control is second to none. They may not be the most expensive watch brand but they sure are one of the best in terms of robustness, ease of serviceability and evergreen designs.

I own a Datejust, Submariner and Daytona.

Am planning to add a Day-Date 40 in the future once the issues with the new movements have been ironed out.
friedricetheman
post Nov 29 2016, 10:07 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(teongpeng @ Nov 29 2016, 09:57 PM)
Do u feel bothered to purchase that daydate urgently now that our currency have dropped significantly yet they are still selling at 'old' price in malaysia? Hehe
No. I have other priorities now. The DD40 is end game stuff..
friedricetheman
post Nov 30 2016, 11:03 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

8% very good deal. I paid retail price in Cortina for my Daytona 116503 with the 2016 bezel.
friedricetheman
post Nov 30 2016, 11:24 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(yclam5729 @ Nov 30 2016, 11:15 AM)
Good for you, I was told 116500 Daytona is currently 30K mark up selling at RM75k now.
Lol. That is crazy. Even if you try to resell down the road, you would never be able to sell that high.

It's a steel model peeps, not two tone. Shouldn't have that sort of markup.
friedricetheman
post Nov 30 2016, 11:43 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ Nov 30 2016, 11:27 AM)
from what i understand about rolex tho...steel models are more desirable and hold value much better than anything with gold in it.
maybe perhaps in 100yrs time...the steel model may be worthless and the gold model is just worth its weight in gold...then again gold may be worthless then too tongue.gif
But do you have any idea that with a markup of almost double the MSRP, how long will it take before retail and preowned prices catch up with it? A long, long time.

Even when the new ceramic Sea Dweller was launched a few years ago, it was going for double its retail price. Those people whom bought it at that price are still not able to break even on it. Worse still, currently you can buy brand new DSSD for retail or less.

Edit - there is definately a trend towards two tone and precious metal Rolex in western countries at the moment. Ownership of DJ41 and DD40 which is only available in two tone and precious metal at the moment is quite high among 20-30 year old Rolex collectors in other countries.

This post has been edited by friedricetheman: Nov 30 2016, 11:48 AM
friedricetheman
post Nov 30 2016, 05:27 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(Kookie10 @ Nov 30 2016, 04:38 PM)
Hi Sifus, wanna ask anyone has any idea how much is Tudor Pelagos blue selling for right now?
Cheap lah. Bring around RM20k will be more than enough. Then flash them the cash and negotiate for a discount.
friedricetheman
post Dec 3 2016, 01:06 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(teongpeng @ Nov 30 2016, 09:55 PM)
Good to hear that! Ive a 2 tone TOG that i seldom wear, feels like a showoff wannabe whenever i put it on.
teongpeng
You should wear it out more. Turn O Graph is sexy as F. A classic piece.
friedricetheman
post Dec 3 2016, 07:03 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(avantasia @ Dec 3 2016, 08:45 AM)
RM16500 RP
Tudor boutique no discount
AD max discount 10% ----》RM14,850
Wah! That is real value for money! So cheap!

And with in-house movement some more. No need discount also can buy leh..
friedricetheman
post Dec 3 2016, 07:47 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

Am currently bored and a little tipsy on a slow Saturday night. One too many glasses of wine. Lol.

So, am doing a little Rolex vs Omega comparison.

Rolex Datejust vs Omega Aqua Terra 8500
[attachmentid=8196939]

Rolex Submariner vs Omega Seamaster GMT
[attachmentid=8196941]

Rolex Daytona vs Omega Speedmaster Professional
[attachmentid=8196942]

My thoughts. Rolex is more refined. The dial looks better and the finishing looks more jewelry like. Omega is more tool like and the finishing on the case and bracelet are a bit more muted.

Rolex is a piece of jewelry and the 904l steel does look more grayish and looks almost like Grade 5 titanium in color when compared to the steel that Omega and other manufacturers are using. Omega steel looks brighter and more steel like.

Thank you for reading through my long winded post. Pictures are old pictures on my phone as I am too tipsy to take any new pictures.
friedricetheman
post Dec 10 2016, 09:39 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(shankar_dass93 @ Dec 10 2016, 08:17 AM)
Fuyoo, you sound like a big shot lol!
What is 20k in the watch collecting world?

RM20k is less than USD$5,000.

Tudor is one of a few watches than you can buy which has in-house movement for less than $5,000.
friedricetheman
post Dec 10 2016, 11:08 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(teongpeng @ Dec 10 2016, 10:55 AM)
Are they your watches?

I actually have one watch from each of of those pics. Hehe.

Im more attracted to omega lately because of its newer movement and also because its half the price of the rolex.
Yup. They are my watches. They are a part of my 8 watch collection.

Omega is ok but I think I am satisfied with the Omega's I have now.

I am now more into Rolex as they are still underpriced compared to the other high end stuff. Rolex is one of the few true in-house manufacturers whom even smelt their own gold and platinum that are still affordable.

I hedge and bought up Omega in the late 00's to early 10's before they increase their prices drastically. Now I think it's time to hop over to the Rolex wagon as they are still somewhat undervalued.

Just my two cents.
friedricetheman
post Dec 10 2016, 11:31 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(teongpeng @ Dec 10 2016, 11:18 AM)
How do u categorize your collection and how do u decide on what to add to it?

Which rolex are u looking at next?

Kinda unsure where my own collection is heading lol.
I was going for a Rolex vs Omega theme. Now that it is completed, I am selling one of my other piece and bringing in an AP ROO that my friend is selling due to it not getting any wrist time.

Then, I would probably get rid of the final piece that is not Rolex or Omega and get a Day Date as the final watch to complete my 8 watch collection.

friedricetheman
post Dec 10 2016, 11:41 AM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(teongpeng @ Dec 10 2016, 11:34 AM)
Cerita a bit la...why 8? Is there a theme u r going for? What motivates u in that decision
I chose 8 is because I want quality over quantity. Also, i feel that if I have more than 8 watches, some may be neglected over others.

As I said, the theme is Rolex vs Omega for the first 6 slot (dress, Diver and Chronograph), the last two slots will in the end be the AP ROO and Rolex DD (big three and PM watch respectively).

I am almost at the finish line but to cross it involves a lot of money. May take quite awhile before my collection is up to my liking.
friedricetheman
post Dec 10 2016, 12:10 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

I have gotten the chance to compare the 3135 and 8500 and I feel that the 3135 is still king. The 8500 takes a while to do the date change while the 3135 date change happens at midnight at the blink of an eye.

Power reserve of the 8500 is longer at 2 1/2 days but the 3135 have enough PR to last two full days which is good enough for most people.

Another pet peeve of the 8500 and 2628 is that the quick set hour wheel does tend to kaput quite frequently. And Swatch Group will not replace the hour wheel without doing a full service.

I am wearing my Rolexes more now because I am an attention seeker and loves the strong brand DNA that makes Rolex recognizable from even 10 feet away.
friedricetheman
post Dec 10 2016, 05:31 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(teongpeng @ Dec 10 2016, 04:02 PM)
Maybe ill post my own rolex vs omega pics later. Hehe
Do it lah. As long as you are not some preowned watch Dealer trying to berlagak with pictures of shoik sendiri wearing their own stock, I am happy to see more pictures of Rolex and Omega.

I have caught quite a few preowned watch dealers who brazenly take wristshots of expensive watches and post them on the watch forums.

Kinda like a used car salesman taking pictures of himself inside luxury cars that he is selling.

A few years ago, I saw my neighbor's daughter dating a man who drives a different luxury car every time I see him in our neighborhood. So one day, during a casual conversation with my neighbor, I asked the mom about her daughter's boyfriend.

Apparently, he is a used car salesman who drives different car to see her because he wanted to impress her and also because the cars need to have their engines warmed up.

Not long after, the guy stopped coming as I guess the parents didn't approve. But the guy probably already piap piap the girl so he doesn't care.

Moral of the story : looks can be deceiving..

This post has been edited by friedricetheman: Dec 10 2016, 05:48 PM
friedricetheman
post Dec 11 2016, 02:49 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(Apple_DarreN @ Dec 11 2016, 12:36 PM)
I wouldn't blame him if the car really needs to be warmed up but if he has the intention of "impressing" then it ain't good. Rule of thumb is to always be humble.

Same goes to watch, wearing it to wind up the movement a little (without wanting to use a watch winder) is alright, but motive to show off then sama je not good.
The problem is mostly peer pressure. These guys think that by showcasing their stock from their shop, they can get some ego boost.

But once they get caught by eagle eye forumers, their credibility goes out the window.
friedricetheman
post Dec 11 2016, 03:38 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(Apple_DarreN @ Dec 11 2016, 03:13 PM)
Exactly. I see kids doing that all the time on Instagram, flashing up daddy's toy

But hey, who am I to judge, he could've worked hard for it
Lol. I highly doubt the kid worked hard for it. If he did, he won't be buying a sports car or million dollar watch as he will get heart pain to see his own hard earned money being squandered like that.

Anyway, to get back on topic. I wonder what will Rolex announce for next year's Baselworld. Will the Coke GMT make a comeback?
friedricetheman
post Dec 11 2016, 11:14 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(teongpeng @ Dec 11 2016, 11:06 PM)
Er...got anyone caught in lowyat forum?
I am quite new here so I have not seen many wristshots yet.

But I have caught quite a few in other forums and I did confirm it too by popping by their shops and take a second look at their hand + wrists. Each of our wrist and hands are unique with uniquely placed moles, scars tissues, hair or vein patterns or other unique identifiers.

Honed my observations skills while I was studying in the States doing some criminal studies gen ed in University.
friedricetheman
post Dec 13 2016, 03:34 PM

Watch Idiot Savant
949 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ Dec 13 2016, 01:49 PM)
ya guitar. . . make fun of his 5-figure guitars.
Wah you guys damn hardcore guitarist.

I only collect violins.

Are guitars the same as violins where the older and more mature the violin, the more mellow the sound? Violin wood when aged will sound different from a young violin, even if it is from the same violin maker using the exact same type of wood.

The vibrations produced when bowing or plucking the violin opens up the pores on the wood. Over time, the violin will be more rich in sound.

This is only true of handmade violins. China cheap ass violins cannot mature due to the cheap ass type of wood used.

17 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1397sec    0.48    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:40 PM