Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> STAX Electrostatic Earspeaker, Founder of Electrostatic Headphone (Headphones)

views

widget
post Mar 11 2015, 09:35 PM

Regular
1,006 posts

QUOTE(E1 - AKG @ Mar 8 2015, 09:48 PM)
Which setup did you listen to  hmm.gif  Was it driven from the Stax SR-727ii or the Audio Valve Luminare  hmm.gif
I tried the Luminare today, driving the 009.
I told Albert that the Luminare needs more gain to really drive the 009.
I had to turn the volume all the way to no. 9 to listen at my normal listening level.

Edifier
post Nov 29 2015, 08:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
6,859 posts

Planning to bring in the SR-L500 + SRM-353x and SR-L700 + SRM-007t asap.
Edifier
post Jul 22 2016, 04:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
6,859 posts

Finally, the legendary Stax reach our office.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Kaerna
post Jul 22 2016, 04:36 PM

Casual
325 posts

QUOTE(Edifier @ Jul 22 2016, 04:32 PM)
Legendary!! rclxm9.gif
Can we see this for KLAV!?
echineko
post Jul 22 2016, 07:25 PM

Enthusiast
762 posts

QUOTE(Edifier @ Jul 22 2016, 04:32 PM)
Too late for me, but good to see it here finally

This post has been edited by echineko: Jul 22 2016, 07:30 PM
E1 - AKG
post Aug 16 2016, 12:46 PM

Your personal audio store!
6,347 posts

Here you go! Presenting the complete new L series!

Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1641673596071248/

penmarker
post Aug 16 2016, 03:17 PM

Regular
1,861 posts

But why is the video like that for the whole duration...
Edifier
post Aug 17 2016, 12:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
6,859 posts

For the first time in Malaysia, our partner E1 Personal Audio Malaysia will organize an event where you can test the Stax headphones from Japan ! Do join them this weekend and next:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1641673596071248/

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Quazacolt
post Aug 18 2016, 11:39 PM

Riding couple
3,165 posts

older review which was replaced by the 3100 but hey lol

intriguing
Quazacolt
post Aug 26 2016, 08:35 AM

Riding couple
3,165 posts

QUOTE(E1 - AKG @ Aug 16 2016, 12:46 PM)
Huge thanks to E1 - AKG and of course partner Edifier for making the Stax available in KL - Malaysia and the opportunity to audition them notworthy.gif

3 sets of setup available at E1 personal audio shop at 3rd floor yellow zone T090 lot Sungai Wang Plaza :
Entry Level
SRS-3100 Earspeaker System

Mid Range
SRS-5100 Earspeaker System

Mid/High Range
Note: I wouldn't say high end because there's the 007/009 around; However I've been told that those are very different category of the electrostatics setup, so you can treat it as high-end as well. after all, the pricing is definitely in the high end ish category heh.
SR-L700 Earspeaker/Headphone + SRM-727 II Setup
( http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/SRM727II.html )

Yes, you may wonder why Stax kept calling them "Earspeakers" instead of headphones, and you're probably just as curious as i was - i took off the Earspeakers/headphones (to avoid tedious typing and confusion i'll call these earspeakers just as Stax do from now on) while they are playing and man they are LOUD.
Near speaker levels of loud/sound leak, however surprisingly it isn't ear deafening loud when i had them fitted on my head/over the ears, which is very intriguing.
Suffice to say the staff(s) there were able to hear my music playing fairly clearly so i was VERY lucky to be the only person in the shop during my entire audition process which does give me a lot of advantage in experiencing all of what Stax is able to offer.

In fact, while chatting with bro E1, during the weekend there was 2 person at the same time that auditioned the Stax system, and they were interfering against each other and in the end they had to be placed/sitting further apart to actually be able to audition the Stax properly laugh.gif

Foreword:
I didn't know that E1 didn't have a spare laptop lying around for me to use my USB thumb drive (that contains all my latest music/songs) and that i can plug in my Centrance DACPort LX which is a clean pure DAC to rule out potential source variables/problem.
So i just make do with my Sony Xperia Z1 phone which contains some dated tracks (i don't really listen to music portable) and of course a phone player of all MP3 (may have some FLAC, not entirely sure but best to just assume all of them being 320kbit mp3) tend to get scorn at by audiophiles tongue.gif
To be fair, i did turn off all sorts of enhancements that Sony software/player offers lol.

Songs/Tracks that i've used mainly for all 3 setups with what i look for within those tracks written below each (or few linked togeter) track:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

now to begin, I've started in order of the "categories" - from entry to high range.
So We'll start with the SRS-3100 which is a mix of the SR-L300 Earspeaker + SRM-252S
If possible, do watch my previous post's youtube video as I'll be referencing and even comparing (points, or even my current gear/setup which the reviewer shares the same AD2000x as well) with it as it also played a huge role into motivating me to get the audition done asap (aside wanting to catch up/chat with bro David as well of course tongue.gif)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l0EtAF_lEk

Sound Quality
Bass/Low frequency
Compared to the video 2170/his modded ear pads, low end wasn't as impressive as i anticipated. It generally lacks decay/impact, if i were to put it very layman - "bass quantity".
That said, the bass is still better than my AD2000x without bass boost (with boost the AD2000X win out instead) essentially putting this in between the video's review and my AD2000X without bass boost.

It's not to say it isn't there, just that to me it just wasn't satisfying, even comparatively to the Audio Technica AD series that's generally low on bass and to me it seems to say much.
And the sadder thing is that, among the 3 sets i've tested, this unit have the most bass sweat.gif

Midrange
Vocals are really amazing in the 3100! Previously i mentioned that the "decay" is very lackluster in the low frequencies, for some odd reason it isn't the case for mid (and highs). That, and it may be a Japanese thing, however I tend to (probably bias) have a huge preference on Japanese made Headphones such as these Stax and Audio Technica when it comes to vocals (especially female vocals) reproduction.

However yes, there are always exceptions like for example, i do not get these "Sweetness" in say, final audio hah!

PRAT is insane in the Stax - the response, notes hitting when/where they should be. it makes fast paced music/tracks a complete joy to listen to.
this is a huge contrast to something like the sennheiser as they typically tend to be a bit more laid back and that usually take a toll on the PRAT department.

Trebles/High Frequency
As i have mentioned on how the decay is lacking on the low however persists on the mid, the same happens on the highs except slightly more pronounced.
Sparkles like bells, chimes, or peaks of violins/guitar rifts etc have that good decay prolong however not too much that it starts to be ear piercing like how some treble/high freq. focused headphones (i'm looking at you silver stuffs grumble.gif ) can be.

Some examples can be found from the guitar solo from core pride, or Yanagi Nagi's tracks.

Sound stage and instrument separation
Being accustomed to the ATH AD series soundstage and its flagship AD2000X, this is definitely a disappointment on the Stax 3100 system. It is VERY narrow comparatively however that isn't a complete let down as the imagine/separation is still very accurate. (albeit again, being narrow)

Individual instruments like the tracks from Kalafina, or orchestra based songs can heard among each instruments and it was a complete during the auditioning session.

If you're typically favored to closed cans headphones unlike myself having preference towards open cans (which typically have wider soundstage), this may be just right for you as the imaging and separation more than makes up for the narrow sound stage and not to mention, some closed cans may have even narrower sound stage! wink.gif

Design
Looks can be very a very subjective thing and to me, they just aren't ticking any boxes in my book.
Looks retro, old, colors and surface design are well... old. lol.

Generally nothing to shout out of the plastic-ky overall build/design of the headphone.

There's definitely something that can be done towards the large sized drivers (they literally cover your entire ear/side of your face); Or rather something should be done particularly on shaving some weight if possible as you're literally slapping speakers on your face and there's nothing but a very thin seemingly only a piece of cloth to hold them both on your head.

It looks odd, nuff said lol.

Comfort
Compared to the video mentioning the ear pad seal, this is already fixed in the 3100 and i faced no issue whatsoever during the whole session of auditioning.
And now that we mentioning those ear pads, synthetic/pleather. nuff said. They get sweaty even in the air conditioned E1 shop - however yes, i do perspire easier compared to other folks so that could be just me on my part. Not to mention my back still hurts like hell and that could have contributed in the extra sweating sweat.gif

The weight is almost twice as heavy as my AD2000X and needless to say, it is flattening out my hair a bit and i can definitely feel the weight after prolonged period of listening to them.

The thin ear pads being rather thin also doesn't quite help elevating the weight/comfort short comings of these ear speakers.

Overall/Conclusion
Definitely not a winner for me however that is because i am having the AD2000x as my end game with a slightly different approach/setup as compared to Z reviews. Ironically the total setup does actually cost more than the 3100 so IF i never stepped into headphones and had my AD2000X, the 3100 instead would be a damn good startup (and possibly end game, at least it seems to be for Z reviews when it comes to ear speakers) for most people.

Now, Z reviews only heard the 2170 (which the 3100 replaced) and the 007, which is an entirely different thing.
I have however auditioned the higher 5100 and L700 + SRM-727, which put me in a different perspective into Stax Mid/high range of offering which i will get to them in the next (most likely last part of my review, since i am feeling a bit lazy) part of my Stax review covering the mid/high range - the 5100/L700 + SRM727 respectively.

for now, sleep it is! (took me about 8 hours to write this in between slacking off enjoying my new ALO/watching youtube videos lol)
will copy over to my long dead/hibernated website/blog as well tongue.gif
Bonchi
post Aug 30 2016, 03:56 PM

KittehPowah
1,265 posts

tried once (SR-009) in yodoyabashi but it was too noisy there... so can't really tell whether it is good or not. Then on day stumbled on an E1 shop in SG and gave the 009 a try again

damn they're of a diff level. All weaknesses you have on a headphone is just not there.. being a proud owner of DT770, DT880, DT990 pros... these cans have their strengths and weakneses but on the STAX, there's none! and still easily triumph all of them even at their strong points... that's how hardcore it is

well... there's no cure for the poison now but to buy a pair laugh.gif

only flaw is... you cant listen to this if youre living with someone else.. it's really loud lol.

This post has been edited by Bonchi: Aug 30 2016, 03:59 PM
Quazacolt
post Sep 1 2016, 03:22 AM

Riding couple
3,165 posts

This may be a bit of a surprise, as i'll go to the mid/high category instead of the mid tier so next up will be the SR-L700 Earspeaker + SRM-727II despite what I've mentioned earlier. As you read on till the end you'll understand why so bear with it a while.

references:
http://www.stax.co.jp/Pdf/Export/Web_News_SR-L700-E.pdf
http://www.stax.co.jp/Pdf/Export/SRM727II-BRO1.pdf

Sound Quality
Bass/Low frequency
The worst among all 3 I've auditioned, and i'll keep this really simple - what bass? 404 bass not found.
Even the bass "volume" itself is severely lacking, needless to say whatever the decays or impact/kick that it can offer - there is seemingly none to me.

Midrange
Female vocals are easily the best among the 3, comparable, if not even better than my AD2000x! Various instruments can be heard easily among each other and there is this "sweatness" that i can't seem to describe that i've never heard of compared to regular dynamic driver or even planar magnetic headphones, in short very unique out of the stax electrostatic.

PRAT definitely have to be among the best i've heard so far - the response of the Electrostatic is just simply amazing. It seems similar to the 3100 i've reviewed before, however it seems like this has a slight edge over it. Not by a lot, however still a slight improvement nonetheless and i wonder if it has got to do with the much higher end/expensive amp/driver unit that is the SRM-727 II. I didn't have the opportunity/time to try out amp/driver so all this is merely "what if"/guesses/assumptions based on my experience that amps being one of the key components when it comes to improving PRAT (eg: slapping high gains/boosts whenever available)

needless to say, having fast paced beats/choruses/instrument solos gave me a ton of joy from the L700/SRM727 unit.

Trebles/High Frequency
Among the best highs/trebles one can have on a headphone, or should i say, ear speaker unit?
It's so bright/clear that, it just sits right at the edge just before being overly bright/sharp or even ear piercing, like just perfect where it should be. Often some of the notes seems to hit too high/bright however maybe partly due to the response of the electrostatic drivers, the decay is kept minimal and as such probably reduced/prevented playback from getting harsh.

in contrast with the AD2000x, while it isn't as clear/sharp as the L700, it has more decays so on certain situations, such as vocals going on really high note, or guitar rifts, the AD2000x seems to have and edge and everything else like hi-hats, strings or violins, piano on their high keys the Stax would have the edge.

Sound stage and instrument separation
Its sound stage while not as wide as Audio technica's AD series, it is still among the widest comparable with the Audeze or Sennheiser open headphones. Instrument separation on the other hand, in my experience is the best with its crisp and detailed reproduction. Every single instruments be it on the back or foreground within the sound stage, orchestras, vocals - everything can be heard apart clearly even if you're not particularly being analytical listening the track.

I'm not too such if it may cause listening fatigue over extended long hours, however between the 1-2 hours i had my ears on them, they were very pleasant and the amount of details that these ear speakers can output is just very impressive.

Design
Despite being a higher unit, it still share the overall design and build - nothing to shout out about unfortunately sad.gif

Comfort
While i dislike the comfort and weight of the entry level unit, get this - the L700 is about 40 grams heavier than the L300, and yet the L700 felt lighter than the L300! Not sure if its the plushier ear pads contributing to this, or the fact that they beginning to use Genuine Sheepskin leather on the ear pads contact portion (the sides/surrounding is still synthetic leather) or just both.

Definitely a huge plus on the L700 feeling much lighter than its actual weight, and of course, the sheepskin leather is a hugely welcomed on the comfort. After almost an hour of listening session and yet I do not feel discomfort/heat surrounding my ears unlike the previous L300/L500.

The fitting and comfort on the L700 is definitely the best among 3 units, while not as comfortable as my AD2000x (or the AD900 with lambskin ear pads replacement) largely thanks to its much lighter weight and magnesium construction, it still hold its ground and certainly impressive despite it being so much heavier.

Overall/Conclusion
Among the 3, this is definitely my pick especially if the bass can be solved by double amping.
The pricing on the other hand though isn't too comfortable being about 7 times as expensive as the entry level SRS3100 system, however that is how it is for audiophile (or any hobby for that matter) which is the diminishing returns as you progress higher in the hobby.

Yes you won't be getting 7 times the improvement, however among the 3 these are the best and certainly is my recommendation especially with the ear pads/details.

Do let me know if anyone is able to overcome the lack of bass by double amping then it would certainly give the rest a better idea if this is the perfect end game for them wink.gif

Lastly to close this review off - I won't be bothered to write up the SRS-5100, as it is (in my impression and opinion) exactly right in the middle in between the 2 units i've reviewed.
literally everything is except the ear pads being still pleather/synthetic leather and if you have the budget for these you're probably going to mod/replace the ear pads anyways.

My take for the SRS-5100 is that, if you cannot decide between the 3, or you want the best of both worlds between the 3100 and L700 + SRM 727 II, this is the choice to go.
Or hey, TRY pairing the L500 with DIFFERENT driver units wink.gif
maybe you can cut cost down while getting the sound signature you want/most performance out of it.

and that is not even treading into a proper DAC territory over my Xperia Z1 phone, and even double amping potentially solving the lack of bass of the L700+SRM 727 II i've auditioned smile.gif
air
post Sep 21 2016, 05:21 PM

On my way
644 posts

Hi there, was interested on Stax products years ago, particularly SRS-002 model

Do inter-asia still selling this model?

Song type: Anime/Soundtrack
User type: Music on the go (currretly owning Sony MDR-1ABT + A15 player, wireless)
Source: FLAC/MP3

THanks.
Edifier
post Sep 22 2016, 01:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
6,859 posts

QUOTE(air @ Sep 21 2016, 05:21 PM)

User type: Music on the go (currretly owning Sony MDR-1ABT + A15 player, wireless)

THanks.
Please contact E1 Personal Audio, they will assist you.
Quazacolt
post Sep 22 2016, 01:48 PM

Riding couple
3,165 posts

QUOTE(air @ Sep 21 2016, 05:21 PM)

THanks.
QUOTE(E1 - AKG @ Aug 16 2016, 12:46 PM)
Lai Lai

I've yet to personally audition the Stax IEM myself though haha
Edifier
post Oct 5 2016, 03:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
6,859 posts

A comparison review of some of the world's best headphones, including the:
- Stax SR-009 and SR-007 electrostatic headphones
- Sennheiser HD 800 ring-radiator dynamic headphone
- HiFiMan He-6 and HE-500 planar magnetic headphones
- Audez'e LCD-2 planar magnetic headphone

Edifier
post Nov 28 2016, 09:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
6,859 posts

[Review] STAX SRS-2170

Edifier
post Dec 5 2016, 09:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
6,859 posts

After one long evening under the spell of the Stax system, we went off to hear a prototype of Sennheiser’s new HE 1, replacement for the Orpheus headphones, thinking they would have quite a job to sound better. The HE 1s were perhaps softer-sounding, while still achieving the same revelations, but really, the HE 1s are likely to retail around $75,000, and the Stax were delivering similar levels of pleasure. Their open leakage makes them useless in a shared room, of course (unless you plug a second pair into the driver). That aside, if you’re after a top-level headphone (or earspeaker, sorry), then you simply can’t NOT audition Stax. We’d recommend taking a nice long playlist with you. Maybe stay the night.

http://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/so...s-review-415834

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Quazacolt
post Dec 5 2016, 11:49 PM

Riding couple
3,165 posts

QUOTE(Edifier @ Dec 5 2016, 09:32 PM)
That aside, if you’re after a top-level headphone (or earspeaker, sorry), then you simply can’t NOT audition Stax. We’d recommend taking a nice long playlist with you.
That's what I did biggrin.gif
wim1983
post Dec 6 2016, 12:53 AM

Whiz
1,521 posts

This system need DAC right? Is the SRS-3170 worth to buy ah? There are many models, so if sound leakage that means cannot be used in office or open environment..Anybody got a price list?

7 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0444sec    2.64    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 12th November 2019 - 06:44 PM