Headphones STAX Electrostatic Earspeaker, Founder of Electrostatic Headphone

views

TSClem1982
post Jan 12 2015, 02:22 PM, updated 10y ago

Just Helping Out ^^
8,746 posts

user posted image

STAX Eectrostatic Earspeakers

Widely used throughout the world by discerning audiophiles, professional musicians, and recording companies to enjoy and monitor sound.

This is because of the superb sonic quality of STAX electrostatic earspeakers. In general, better sound quality is available with earspeakers than with loudspeaker systems due to several factors.

For instance:
1. Earspeakers are not affected by the acoustic characteristics of the listening room. Thus sonic coloration can not be injected into the music from standing waves or unwanted sound reflections.
2. Since there is little air loading in earspeakers, the transducing diaphragm can be made light to improve transient response.
3. In contrast to ordinary loudspeaker systems, there is never acoustic feedback through a turntable when using earspeakers.
4. Earspeakers place the transducing diaphragm next to the ear so every detail of the music can be heard. This is extremely important when using the earspeakers as an evaluative tool in setting up a recording or aligning a cartridge into a tonearm.

To these conventional features. STAX has added the following to their Earspeaker technology:
1. All STAX earspeakers are operated electrostatically. An electrostatic transducer is a push/pull device that can transduce twice the information in a given time span than a dynamic type transducer.
2. The electrostatic element employs a high polymer film of several microns thick as the diaphragm for far less mass than paper or mylar cones or metal type diaphragms.
3. Since electrostatic elements use no magnets, they are free from magnetic hysteresis distortion that is prominent in dynamic type headphones.

Please audition STAX electrostatic earspeakers. We are confident that they represent the ultimate in musical clarity and sonic transparency.

user posted image

STAX Official Website

http://www.stax.co.jp/

What is Electrostatic Earspeakers?

Electrostatic drivers consist of a thin, electrically charged diaphragm, typically a coated PET film membrane, suspended between two perforated metal plates (electrodes). The electrical sound signal is applied to the electrodes creating an electrical field; depending on the polarity of this field, the diaphragm is drawn towards one of the plates. Air is forced through the perforations; combined with a continuously changing electrical signal driving the membrane, a sound wave is generated. Electrostatic headphones are usually more expensive than moving-coil ones, and are comparatively uncommon. In addition, a special amplifier is required to amplify the signal to deflect the membrane, which often requires electrical potentials in the range of 100 to 1000 volts.

user posted image

Due to the extremely thin and light diaphragm membrane, often only a few micrometers thick, and the complete absence of moving metalwork, the frequency response of electrostatic headphones usually extends well above the audible limit of approximately 20 kHz. The high frequency response means that the low midband distortion level is maintained to the top of the audible frequency band, which is generally not the case with moving coil drivers. Also, the frequency response peakiness regularly seen in the high frequency region with moving coil drivers is absent. Well-designed electrostatic headphones can produce significantly better sound quality than other types.

Electrostatic headphones require a voltage source generating 100 V to over 1 kV, and are on the user's head. They do not need to deliver significant electric current, which limits the electrical hazard to the wearer in case of fault.

-Taken from Wikipedia-

This post has been edited by Clem1982: Jan 23 2015, 11:18 AM
TSClem1982
post Jan 12 2015, 02:23 PM

Just Helping Out ^^
8,746 posts

Products

SR-307
user posted image

The first SR-Λ (lambda) series was introduced 30 years ago, and now the SR-307 (and SR-407) have adopted the same sounding body (sound element) as that of the top model SR-507.

The conventional sound element has employed simplest structure so that as wide film diaphragm area as possible can be effectively used in comparison with its external size. Taking advantage of the conventional feature, the new sound element has been packaged in a tough resin case. Thus the new sound element has realized cleaner sound and better reliability. Also a new thin-film material (super engineering plastics) almost free from stretch through temperature or humidity has been adopted, enabling both the rich, deep low frequency and the delicate high-frequency sound.

Specifications

Type: Push-pull electrostatic oval sound element, open-air type enclosure
Frequency response: 7 - 41,000Hz
Electrostatic capacitance: 120pF (including cable)
Impedance: 132kΩ (including cable, at 10kHz)
Sound pressure sensitivity: 101dB / 100Vr.m.s.
Bias voltage: 580V DC
Right/left channel indication: 'L' and 'R' indicated on the arc assembly, solid line (left) and dotted line (right) on cable
Ear pad: High-quality artificial leather (replacement part: EP-234GR)
Cable: PC-OCC parallel 6-strand, low capacity cable, 2.5m full length
Operating temperature/ humidity: 0 to 35 degrees C/ less than 90% (non-condensing)
Weight: 490g (including cable), 340g (without cable)
Body color: Gray

SR-507

user posted image

The SR-507 is the first to employ the new sounding body (sound element) since the original Lambda series. The conventional sound element has employed simplest structure so that as wide film diaphragm area as possible can be effectively used in comparison with its external size. Taking advantage of the conventional feature, the new sound element has been packaged in a tough resin case. Thus the new sound element has realized cleaner sound and more accurate sound image.
Also new thin-film material almost free from stretch through temperature or humidity has been adopted, enabling both the rich, deep low-frequency and the delicate high-frequency sound.

Specifications

Type: push-pull electrostatic, oval sound element, open-air back type enclosure (case)
Frequency response: 7 - 41,000 Hz
Electrostatic capacitance: 110pF (including attached code)
Impedance: 145kΩ (including attached cable, at 10kHz)
Sound pressure sensitivity: 100dB / input 100Vr.m.s. / 1kHz
Maximum sound pressure level: 118dB / 400Hz
Bias voltage: 580V DC (standard)
Right/left channel indication: 'L' and 'R' indicated on the arc assembly (inside head spring), solid line (left) and dotted line (right) on cable
Ear pad: genuine leather (skin-touching portion), high-class artificial leather (circumference portion:)
Code: parallel 6-strand, 2.5m full length, low-capacity special wide cable, 6N(99.9999%) OFC with silver plating
Weight : 533g (including attached code), 388g (without cable)

SR-007MK2

user posted image

SR-007 MK2 is our flagship model that aims to achieve the peak among STAX electrostatic speakers. Possessing strong drive power in respect to the diaphragm due to the provision of an area in which there are no holes whatsoever on the outer ring of the electrodes (fixed poles). This was completed after an extended process of design and productions of prototypes. After attaching to a thick insulated resin case, they are placed in a strong aluminum machined enclosure to shut out unwanted vibrations. The cable is designed with the most appropriate structure for transmitting signals to the electrostatic transducer. STAX original cables employs high-purity PC-OCC conductors that achieve outstanding sound quality due to their extreme thickness and low capacity. The SR-007 MK2 features improvements to the connection between the unit and the cable, achieving further improvements in transmission capacity and reliability. The mechanism is unique to the SR-007 series whereby the enclosure and the ear pads rotate independently making it possible to achieve a good fit to each individual listener.

Specifications

Type: Push-pull electrostatic open-air type headphone
Frequency response : 6 to 41,000 Hz
Impedance : 170 KΩ (at f = 10 KHz)
Capacitance : 94pF (including cable)
Sensitivity : 100 dB / 100 V r.m.s. at f = 1 KHz
Bias voltage : 580 V / DC
Left & Right Channel identifications :
Left (L) and Right ® indicators are provided at the cable en trance points on the Earspeakers.
The left channel cable is marked with a solid Line.
The right channel is marked with a dotted Line.
Ear pads : Real leather (Lamb) used on a part coming into contact with the skin.
High-quality leather used for the surrounding part.
Cable : 2.5m, PC-OCC, wide, low capacitance cable
Weight : 365 g (Body) , 512g (Including cable)
Operating temperature range: 0 to 35
Humidity range for use: Less than 90% (without condensation)

SR-009

user posted image

The SR-009 is the product of the repeated research of technology and material without deviating from our stance to return to live sound and music with refined sensitivity.

It will be as a result of "work" each predecessor gathered up with "pride". Clearly, the way of life we live now is to inherit it and to bear "enhancement" and "evolution." This is proven by the fact that state-of-the-art technologies in the world exist intensively in present-day Japan. Making new things by skillfully taking advantage of these technologies has given birth to a "millennium" earspeaker (electrostatic headphone).

The newly developed sound element adopted in the SR-009 features a new high polymer ultra-thin film material called super engineering plastics for the diaphragm. Materials superior especially in tone quality have been selected to attain the extremely excellent frequency characteristic from low to super-high as well as the vast dynamic range.

New electrodes named MLER (Multi Layer ElectRodes) have also been developed to realize the plane drive of the whole film diaphragm surface. While thinness and flatness are required for the fixed electrodes, they simultaneously need to have other characteristics such as low resonance, high sound wave transmission and so on. These new electrodes have been completed through the unification of metal plates processed with ultra-precision photograph etching that utilizes high-tech heat diffusion combination on the atomic level.

Aluminum is a metal good for sound and suitable material for audio equipment. It is abundantly used, e.g. at the frame supporting the appearance and sound element, to achieve high-quality sound, rigidity and lightweight. Almost every part of the SR-009 is manufactured through precise machine processing.

High-purity copper developed from the necessity of wiring large-scale integration circuits is also known as high-quality audio cables. High-purity copper wire of 99.9999% (6Nines) purity adopted for the cable is further silver-coated and finished with the most suitable structure to drive the earspeaker.

Earpad of a new design enables hours of comfortable listening and is carefully made by a craftsman's hand and features both the real leather with good humidity environment and the cushion material with moderate elasticity.

The arc is equipped with a position adjustment mechanism of 10-step slider and corresponds to the wide range of cranial form with individual difference.

Specifications

Type: push-pull electrostatic circular sound element, open-air type enclosure
Frequency response: 5 - 42,000Hz
Electrostatic capacitance: 110pF (including cable)
Impedance: 145kΩ (including cable, at 10kHz)
Sound pressure sensitivity: 101dB / input 100Vr.m.s. / 1kHz
Maximum sound pressure level: 118dB / 400Hz
Bias voltage: 580V DC
Right/left channel indication: 'L' and 'R' indicated on the arc assembly (inside head spring), solid line (left) and dotted line (right) on the cable
Earpad: real leather (skin touching portion), high-quality artificial leather (surrounding portion)
Cable: silver-coated 6N (99.9999%) OFC parallel 6-strand, low-capacity special wide cable, 2.5m full length
Weight: 596g (including cable), 454g (without cable)

SRM-007T2

user posted image

This post has been edited by Clem1982: Jan 23 2015, 03:11 PM
TSClem1982
post Jan 12 2015, 02:23 PM

Just Helping Out ^^
8,746 posts

Reserved
TSClem1982
post Jan 12 2015, 02:24 PM

Just Helping Out ^^
8,746 posts

Reserved
TSClem1982
post Jan 12 2015, 02:25 PM

Just Helping Out ^^
8,746 posts

Reserved
penmarker
post Jan 12 2015, 03:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,002 posts

Why would you need 5 posts and reserve 4 of them.
rotijon25
post Jan 12 2015, 09:26 PM

Getting Started
170 posts

Here's to hoping you are a stax dealer, and that the price wont be double japan's T_T
TSClem1982
post Jan 13 2015, 09:22 AM

Just Helping Out ^^
8,746 posts

QUOTE(penmarker @ Jan 12 2015, 03:38 PM)
Why would you need 5 posts and reserve 4 of them.
For photos and updates and just in case wink.gif

QUOTE(rotijon25 @ Jan 12 2015, 09:26 PM)
Here's to hoping you are a stax dealer, and that the price wont be double japan's T_T
Actually more of a fan, the distro is Inter-Asia Technology icon_rolleyes.gif price haven't come out yet as they told me that the stock is not in yet. Once they do, I hope to get the details and post it here wink.gif
Ask_Yip
post Jan 13 2015, 09:54 AM

Retired Audiophiles
2,864 posts

tried them during MOOK Singapore 1+ year ago, very gooding, price also very gooding biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ask_Yip: Jan 13 2015, 09:54 AM
power911
post Jan 13 2015, 09:29 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

sometimes I wonder if electrostatic headphones are the reversed version of condenser mics.

nevertheless I miss the sound of stax
VagueConcerns
post Jan 13 2015, 09:42 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

QUOTE(power911 @ Jan 13 2015, 09:29 PM)
sometimes I wonder if electrostatic headphones are the reversed version of condenser mics.

nevertheless I miss the sound of stax
Technically every mic works like a reversed speaker don't they? biggrin.gif
I've read forums where they convert small speakers into mics for kick drums.
power911
post Jan 14 2015, 12:01 AM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(VagueConcerns @ Jan 13 2015, 10:42 PM)
Technically every mic works like a reversed speaker don't they?  biggrin.gif
I've read forums where they convert small speakers into mics for kick drums.
well I've been using my headphones as my mic for my assignments and everyone think it's some pricy condenser mic rolleyes.gif
(just my MS-1i)

I guess that's how things work sweat.gif

lets not go offtopic laugh.gif
VagueConcerns
post Jan 14 2015, 01:37 AM

Enthusiast
884 posts

QUOTE(power911 @ Jan 14 2015, 12:01 AM)
well I've been using my headphones as my mic for my assignments and everyone think it's some pricy condenser mic rolleyes.gif
(just my MS-1i)

I guess that's how things work sweat.gif

lets not go offtopic laugh.gif
Yes let's not. laugh.gif
I've never heard an electrostat before. Seeing that thing, How low is one able to go before needing some sort of bass helper?
E1 - AKG
post Jan 14 2015, 01:55 AM

Your personal audio store!
6,439 posts

QUOTE(VagueConcerns @ Jan 14 2015, 01:37 AM)
Yes let's not.  laugh.gif
I've never heard an electrostat before. Seeing that thing, How low is one able to go before needing some sort of bass helper?
Not sure about Malaysia but E1's Singapore store at Orchard most probably have the largest collection of Stax on demo in the region nod.gif
rotijon25
post Mar 8 2015, 01:36 PM

Getting Started
170 posts

Just heard the SR-009 at E1.

Cant wait for the BHSE now.
E1 - AKG
post Mar 8 2015, 05:58 PM

6,439 posts

QUOTE(rotijon25 @ Mar 8 2015, 01:36 PM)
Just heard the SR-009 at E1.

Cant wait for the BHSE now.
Yesterday in Singapore? hmm.gif
rotijon25
post Mar 8 2015, 07:41 PM

Getting Started
170 posts

Yeah. Couldn't stay long. But the sr009 almost killed me. Ahaha
E1 - AKG
post Mar 8 2015, 09:48 PM

6,439 posts

QUOTE(rotijon25 @ Mar 8 2015, 07:41 PM)
Yeah. Couldn't stay long. But the sr009 almost killed me. Ahaha
Which setup did you listen to hmm.gif Was it driven from the Stax SR-727ii or the Audio Valve Luminare hmm.gif
rotijon25
post Mar 8 2015, 09:54 PM

Getting Started
170 posts

AK240 - SRM727 -SR009 . even from these source and amp, sultans of swing sounded so damn good.

really one of the wonders of head-fi, and i might say hifi as well, ive heard the wilson xlfs, focal grande's and the sr009 can definitely fight toe to toe with these million dollar systems and even win in some aspects.
rotijon25
post Mar 8 2015, 09:54 PM

Getting Started
170 posts

AK240 - SRM727 -SR009 . even from these source and amp, sultans of swing sounded so damn good.

really one of the wonders of head-fi, and i might say hifi as well, ive heard the wilson xlfs, focal grande's and the sr009 can definitely fight toe to toe with these million dollar systems and even win in some aspects.

7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0277sec    0.59    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:21 PM