Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> IMP Comfort Absorber, Reliable?

views

kadajawi
post Aug 6 2016, 03:26 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(PedangGila @ Jun 18 2016, 10:58 PM)
First of all, myvi isn't build for comfort. Hardly any budget stricken car is comfortable as far as I can remember or experienced. Say if you fit a soft suspension and a soft tyre wall, your straight line stability will be shot immediately. Not to mention body roll during corners. I cant recommend anything to really improve the car's comfortability other than the stock shock and soft tyres. Soft spring? Meh. Nice comfy seat? Sure if you can afford recaro but that's way off too far.

One bloody car that is comfortable really really one to sit behind or in front is the ghost. Rolls fucking royce.
Mh. My Citroen Xsara is pretty damn comfortable, and straight line stability? At full speed (170 km/h) I can let go of the steering wheel for 10, 20 seconds (usually there's a corner at some point...). Not to mention that the car wasn't affected by bumps in the road, it will go straight no matter what (unless I turn the steering wheel of course). My Golf would only get this comfortable at 180-200... the good thing is it turns the wheel itself when cornering. Otherwise the ride is significantly harsher... still acceptable, but nowhere near as good as the Citroen. For a normal car the Xsara is pretty impressive. Yes, there is body roll in corners, but it will still go around corners unless you really overdo it. The Golf will probably take the corner at even higher speeds, but just go a bit slower in corners then. I doubt many take corners at those speeds anyway.

IMHO what matters more in terms of straight line stability is the steering system, especially the power steering. On the Citroen, the self centering is strong, and the assistance goes down with increasing speeds (despite using a hydraulic system... it's easier to implement on electric power steering). Combine that with a good suspension setup and you've got a wonderful high speed cruiser (if the engine had more power).

Oh yeah, and if you want superb comfort you don't need a Rolls Royce. You need a car from the brand that licensed their suspension to Rolls Royce and sold them the components. Citroen. Big Citroens like the DS, SM, CX, XM, Xantia, C6 and (some) C5 ride like a dream. In the case of the Xantia Active that is combined with cornering capabilities that beat Lotus.
PedangGila
post Aug 7 2016, 05:28 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(kadajawi @ Aug 6 2016, 03:26 PM)
Mh. My Citroen Xsara is pretty damn comfortable, and straight line stability? At full speed (170 km/h) I can let go of the steering wheel for 10, 20 seconds (usually there's a corner at some point...). Not to mention that the car wasn't affected by bumps in the road, it will go straight no matter what (unless I turn the steering wheel of course). My Golf would only get this comfortable at 180-200... the good thing is it turns the wheel itself when cornering. Otherwise the ride is significantly harsher... still acceptable, but nowhere near as good as the Citroen. For a normal car the Xsara is pretty impressive. Yes, there is body roll in corners, but it will still go around corners unless you really overdo it. The Golf will probably take the corner at even higher speeds, but just go a bit slower in corners then. I doubt many take corners at those speeds anyway.

IMHO what matters more in terms of straight line stability is the steering system, especially the power steering. On the Citroen, the self centering is strong, and the assistance goes down with increasing speeds (despite using a hydraulic system... it's easier to implement on electric power steering). Combine that with a good suspension setup and you've got a wonderful high speed cruiser (if the engine had more power).

Oh yeah, and if you want superb comfort you don't need a Rolls Royce. You need a car from the brand that licensed their suspension to Rolls Royce and sold them the components. Citroen. Big Citroens like the DS, SM, CX, XM, Xantia, C6 and (some) C5 ride like a dream. In the case of the Xantia Active that is combined with cornering capabilities that beat Lotus.
It's horrible feeling at least in a myvi with the soft combo, tyres and suspension. Recently I've driven a rented one stock and on straight it wasn't a good feeling. Yes I agree with the steering system of a myvi is not something you want to let go because of its simplicity. Hardly I ever took a hand of the wheel even in any car (altis, honda city, Latio) Ive driven at speed higher than 100kmh. Nope I havent had the chance to drive any european car to know their characteristic.

And thank you for the input.

wkc5657
post Aug 7 2016, 06:35 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(PedangGila @ Aug 7 2016, 05:28 PM)
It's horrible feeling at least in a myvi with the soft combo, tyres and suspension. Recently I've driven a rented one stock and on straight it wasn't a good feeling. Yes I agree with the steering system of a myvi is not something you want to let go because of its simplicity. Hardly I ever took a hand of the wheel even in any car (altis, honda city, Latio) Ive driven at speed higher than 100kmh. Nope I havent had the chance to drive any european car to know their characteristic.

It is only applicable for the older Citroen models with hydraulic suspensions, current models have ditched it for normal setup which just messed up their ride and handling, totally lost their DNA where the hydraulic setup is better than air suspension. So citroen went back to the drawing board to come out with something unique to their own.

Read a bit here : http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/citroen/c4/95...spension-system
kadajawi
post Aug 8 2016, 01:44 AM

On my way

QUOTE(PedangGila @ Aug 7 2016, 05:28 PM)

The difference is the self centering power. I've driven a Rusa which is terrifying at speeds above 80. It wouldn't need power steering at those speeds, but it still gives full assistance, so that the tiniest bit of input will turn the wheel... input from the driver and from the road. Of course you shouldn't let go of the wheel at any speed, but a car that requires constant input is much more exhausting to drive and can be outright dangerous (like that Rusa).

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Aug 7 2016, 06:35 PM)
It is only applicable for the older Citroen models with hydraulic suspensions, current models have ditched it for normal setup which just messed up their ride and handling, totally lost their DNA where the hydraulic setup is better than air suspension. So citroen went back to the drawing board to come out with something unique to their own.

Read a bit here : http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/citroen/c4/95...spension-system
The Xsara is using a conventional suspension setup, but Citroen did a good job with it, and focused on comfort rather than Nürburgring lap times. They managed to achieve a good balance, so that it is still good enough around corners.

I haven't heard about the new Citroen suspension yet... sounds interesting. I doubt they can achieve hydropneumatic levels of comfort... those cars were able to make gravel roads feel like a highway. But we'll see...
ayamxxx
post Aug 8 2016, 07:12 AM

Getting Started

My last waja only upgrade to pro-ride sport absorber and sport spring (red color)

Only cost me rm650 for all without installation
mofisa
post Aug 8 2016, 09:41 AM

Group: Newbie

i also in searching for this brand but hard to find for honda city gm6..haihh
PedangGila
post Aug 8 2016, 12:38 PM

Enthusiast

Well, there're so many brand out on the shelf but if I don't wanna think about trying a new abs, I'll definitely stick with this IMP comfort. If it can last more than two years with me then it's fine. I've ran stock abs and changed to new one like after 2 years of use.
chinteck79
post Aug 9 2016, 10:17 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Aug 8 2016, 07:12 AM)
My last waja only upgrade to pro-ride sport absorber and sport spring (red color)

Only cost me rm650 for all without installation
I am planning for this economy set up also. How was the ride? Is the absorber long lasting?
ayamxxx
post Aug 9 2016, 05:59 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(chinteck79 @ Aug 9 2016, 10:17 AM)
I am planning for this economy set up also. How was the ride? Is the absorber long lasting?
Reason i choose this is due to waja oem absorber do emit kong3, or tok3_-- sound at uneven road after 6-8 months.

After change this, no more that sound.

Vs oem sure good. But not very hard like adjustable sport absorber. Still have comfort especially test at plus highway near Air keroh if not mistaken (got area bumpy)
justin_chia
post Oct 24 2016, 11:04 AM

Well, after i changed to this absorber it tend to have tok tok tok sound while driving on uneven road. Is it normal to have this sound after I just had it installed for 3 months?
ayamxxx
post Oct 24 2016, 06:06 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(justin_chia @ Oct 24 2016, 11:04 AM)
Well, after i changed to this absorber it tend to have tok tok tok sound while driving on uneven road. Is it normal to have this sound after I just had it installed for 3 months?
Afraid if it have some defects. Better check n claim warranty. Worst is the installation under our own cost
justin_chia
post Oct 25 2016, 10:01 AM

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Oct 24 2016, 06:06 PM)
Afraid if it have some defects. Better check n claim warranty. Worst is the installation under our own cost
Sure bro, I'll make an appointment with the dealer. Luckily it came with one year warranty. rclxms.gif
justin_chia
post Dec 4 2017, 02:29 PM

First of all, I'm quite grateful for speedmod who assisted me to claim full set of IMP dampener after 1 year due to 4 of those already got sound from shaft.

Manatau just right after 2 months, my driver side front dampener still came out with knocking sound which is so irritating for me.

I'm somehow wondering if the QC quality can compare with Original Honda dampener as it can be so disappointed for a driver to spend a thousand bucks and get this kind of build quality for twice. bangwall.gif bangwall.gif bangwall.gif
outpace
post Jun 5 2018, 08:02 AM

Casual

QUOTE(justin_chia @ Dec 4 2017, 02:29 PM)
First of all, I'm quite grateful for speedmod who assisted me to claim full set of IMP dampener after 1 year due to 4 of those already got sound from shaft.

Manatau just right after 2 months, my driver side front dampener still came out with knocking sound which is so irritating for me.

I'm somehow wondering if the QC quality can compare with Original Honda dampener as it can be so disappointed for a driver to spend a thousand bucks and get this kind of build quality for twice.  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif  bangwall.gif
any related part had already worn? absober mounting, suspension link, spring?
justin_chia
post Jun 8 2018, 09:40 AM

QUOTE(outpace @ Jun 5 2018, 08:02 AM)
any related part had already worn? absober mounting, suspension link, spring?
I've replaced it back to original Honda absorber and it's working well since last December.

thumbsup.gif
ayamxxx
post Jun 8 2018, 02:44 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(justin_chia @ Jun 8 2018, 09:40 AM)
I've replaced it back to original Honda absorber and it's working well since last December.

thumbsup.gif
any particular reason to change back to original setup?

justin_chia
post Jun 12 2018, 03:24 PM

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Jun 8 2018, 02:44 PM)
any particular reason to change back to original setup?
The stiffness of IMP comfort is good enough for daily drive in Malaysia, but compromise a lil bit of comfort-ness.

Reason why I replaced it back to Honda original absorber is due to the knocking sound on uneven road even I've claimed another new set from seller.

The first pair, got a lil knocking sound after I first drove back and after few months later, the sound become louder and make me feel uneasy.
The second pair, at the beginning after i've just replaced with the claimed set, it'd worked well for two months.
Just right after the second month, the knocking sound came back and I couldn't tahan anymore.

FYI, the full set including front 2 rear 2 are having this problem.
Thus, I've changed it all. bangwall.gif

lil_flank
post Feb 11 2019, 09:48 AM

Casual

QUOTE(justin_chia @ Jun 12 2018, 03:24 PM)
The stiffness of IMP comfort is good enough for daily drive in Malaysia, but compromise a lil bit of comfort-ness.

Reason why I replaced it back to Honda original absorber is due to the knocking sound on uneven road even I've claimed another new set from seller.

The first pair, got a lil knocking sound after I first drove back and after few months later, the sound become louder and make me feel uneasy.
The second pair, at the beginning after i've just replaced with the claimed set, it'd worked well for two months.
Just right after the second month, the knocking sound came back and I couldn't tahan anymore.
FYI, the full set including front 2 rear 2 are having this problem.
Thus, I've changed it all.  bangwall.gif
May i know how much did u spent on the stock Honda abs (front and back)?
cempedaklife
post Feb 11 2019, 01:54 PM

Master Decoy

QUOTE(lil_flank @ Feb 11 2019, 09:48 AM)
May i know how much did u spent on the stock Honda abs (front and back)?
you might want to try to search in lyn about shokz by apm as well.
just to give you another option.
lil_flank
post Feb 11 2019, 04:18 PM

Casual

QUOTE(cempedaklife @ Feb 11 2019, 01:54 PM)
you might want to try to search in lyn about shokz by apm as well.
just to give you another option.
Thanks for your suggestion! Saw your another thread that u were using this shokz abs. U also planned to change the mounts and bump stops last time. For mounts, are u referring to Engine mounts? Also each absorbers has a bump stops? It doesn't comes with the absorbers? Quite new to this absorber thing.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0859sec    3.55    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th April 2019 - 02:21 PM