Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Planted Aquarium V14

views

Clueless07
post May 9 2023, 10:37 AM

Regular
1,184 posts

QUOTE(shinchan99 @ May 6 2023, 09:03 AM)
Hey bro
Thanks for your advise.

1. Should I get those with uv or without uv sterilizer?
2. No Co2
3. Will try to put some chlorine next time. Is it still recommended to use ro water or just normal tap water will do since we are going to chlorine anyway?

Any idea what are those brown deposits on top of my leaves?

user posted image
user posted image
1- without UV,m as it will kill all beneficial bacteria.
Take note the bacteria is your most important friend to keep water clear.
those brown deposit is probably decomposing organics, and the bacteria will help breakdown down.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/nitrogen-cycle

how to get the bacteria?
the filter itself is actually house for bacteria. we put filter media in for it to have a place to house/grow.
if you put in tap water, with anti clorine ( NOT clorine) , and let it cycle, the bacteria will grow - taking like a week or so.
you may put some filter cloths to filter out some debris, large particles but there are many small one which can see and they are broken down by these bacs.

important note-
do not rinse, clean the filter media with tap water- rinse it water from your aquariaum. Tap water will kill them and destabilize the tank
you may rinse the filter cloth, but not the media.

also do not add tap water into your tank then add anti-chlorine.
instead, put tap water into a bucket, add anti cholirine then only add the water into the tank.

shinchan99
post May 29 2023, 08:45 PM

On my way
618 posts

Some updates on my recent tank
1. Did water change a month ago by using water tap this time instead of Coway water.
2. Dechlorine the water on separate pale instead of adding direct into the aquarium
3. Used bacteria starter for the water change
4. Added otto, SAE, amano, horn snail as tank cleaner
5. Use all in one fertilizer

Results:
1. No more brown deposits found on leaves and wood thanks to the tank cleaner
2. Clean water compared to previous murky water
3. Signs of greener plants
4. Fish rarely goes to heaven now

I'm happy at this moment I manage to somehow revived my half dead tank... But still unable to achieve the clearest water when I first got my tank. I also haven't got myself a canister filter yet at this moment, probably for my next upgrade..

Current plan wanted to try to do carpet plant under low tech setup.. Is it possible?

My current tank
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Clueless07
post May 31 2023, 08:45 AM

Regular
1,184 posts

Look much better now-

A few trick to make the tank clearer.
> water change 40% weekly
> cut away mature leave or decomposing leaves. The reach its peak form and slowly degrades over time and release organics into water
>brush the glass and also the drift wood with tooth brush.
> and of course, the Hang on filter got limited capacity, ensure you fill it with media ( and not only filter cloth)

Carpet plant- wont do well at low tech.
also you stemp plants- looks too long, cut the top half and plant it into the soil ba.
btw- can also consider putting seachem excel to boost the plant growth, beside macro and micro fertz.. have you started this topic as yet? lol
mroys@lyn
post Aug 16 2023, 01:44 PM

Regular
1,007 posts

thanks for the tips thumbup.gif
i'm starting my 20litre xiaomi tank soon, without co2.
will do rock-scape and white sand with anubias, no carpet plant.

QUOTE(Clueless07 @ May 31 2023, 08:45 AM)
Look much better now-

A few trick to make the tank clearer.
> water change 40% weekly
> cut away mature leave or decomposing leaves. The reach its peak form and slowly degrades over time and release organics into water
>brush the glass and also the drift wood with tooth brush.
> and of course, the Hang on filter got limited capacity, ensure you fill it with media ( and not only filter cloth)

Carpet plant- wont do well at low tech.
also you stemp plants- looks too long, cut the top half and plant it into the soil ba.
btw- can also consider putting seachem excel to boost the plant growth, beside macro and micro fertz.. have you started this topic as yet? lol
waveweaver
post Nov 6 2023, 01:21 PM

★★Android & Apple★★
All Stars
13,145 posts

QUOTE(shinchan99 @ Apr 26 2023, 10:02 AM)
Blinklime

Hi.. so sorry I missed out your precious advise.. by the time I read this it is too late sad.gif just to update my aquaplants most of them didn't survive, many of my fishes slowly gone up to heaven sad.gif

last 2 months what I've done to my tank:
1. Did a full 100% clean up on my tank, removed some of my dead plants, removed quite a number of soil and sand for washing those fish waste but it never gets cleaned up to clear water level.. gave up washing those and put back into the aquarium

2. After putting in my new water, I notice my water is very murky. Probably I didn't put on my HOB filter as I was using it on my pale for my fishes when I perform the water change. After I install back the HOB filter, water slowly clear but still murky compared previously when no water change. I've added seachem stability also into the water but still can't get clear water as previously.

3. Bought some new plants and new fishes. Noticing my fishes slowly going to heaven one by one. Plants somehow some survived some are showing sign of rotting.

4. Suspecting it could be my water issue, so I bought a ph meter tester to test. My ph is recording 8.3, took a reading on my Coway water (as I use this water to do the water change) the reading is 8.1.. took another water test direct from my tap also showing a reading of 8.1 .. meter problem?

5. Did another round of water change last week, this time 20% water left inside tank without moving any sand or soil, result is still the same murky water compared to the first time. What could have went wrong? Is it because of the way I poured my water into the aquarium causing the fish waste to float more on the clear water?

I don't know where else can I find help but to get advise from experienced member here.
1. Adding another HOB filter so that it can help me to clean up my water?
2. Should I reset and redo my whole tank to make it alive again?
3. Should I start fresh just by putting soil and sand, just a bit of rocks and remove the wood as a start? As the aquashop owner previously explained to me before the wood can make the water turn yellow and raise the ph level..
4. I believe I have done many newbie mistakes.. What can I do again to enjoy back this passion given the chance to reset and learn? I think I was too naive back then venturing this hobby with the thought that I can have a ecosystem that can take care of itself with minimum water change..
Your pH 8.1 - 8.3 is high hovering to saltwater teritory already. Freshwater aquarium pH should be around 6.8 - 7.8... LOL laugh.gif

Skip RO water. It meant for saltwater aquarium which need 0 tDs when mixing salt.

Use tap water then dosed with anti chlorine such as Seachem Prime that can removes chlorine and chloramine. It can even detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Always have a test kit in hand. You will need to check your water parameters such as pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Once you tank had its cycle done you will need to check nitrates mostly. If the reading high then do water changes.

For low tech tank your plants need good light and nitrates. So you need to balance your nitrates not too high and not too low. Putting a root tab will help your plants if you keep on changing your waters as you keep on removing nitrates from your tank during water changes.

Change water not more than 50% unless you have nitrates spike. Your water is too clean for your plants to get its nitrates if you keep on doing big water changes.

https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wiki_a...uarium%20plants.

This post has been edited by waveweaver: Nov 6 2023, 09:09 PM
waveweaver
post Nov 6 2023, 01:47 PM

★★Android & Apple★★
All Stars
13,145 posts

QUOTE(azomic @ Nov 9 2022, 09:37 AM)
ooooo thank you for the feedback. will have a look at your suggestion. ember tetra. hnghh.

yea about the RO. a hassle to always stock up. may op to normal tap water but need to buy something to remove chlorine (if any).

the lily pipe looks nice when new. super ugly when build up algae. hahaha. see how it goes.
Forget RO water. Use tap water then dosed with Brightwell Aquatics Erase - Cl or Seachem Prime.
Both removes chlorine and chloramine while detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Your plants do need some of the micro minerals such as calcium, magnesium and potassium that come with the tap water.
Carlos_Santan
post Jan 5 2024, 10:32 PM

Getting Started
96 posts

just wondering if the DIY CO2 tank can be converted to a pressurised CO2 tank? my DIY CO2 using citric/soda turns out not viable for the long run as it depletes so quickly, the most I could get is almost a week for the 2littre tank. really troublesome to keep mixing every week.

if cannot, anyone knows any shop that sells or do CO2 refill in Ampang area?

thanks in advance.

user posted image
eddystorm
post Jan 5 2024, 11:34 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(Carlos_Santan @ Jan 5 2024, 10:32 PM)
just wondering if the DIY CO2 tank can be converted to a pressurised CO2 tank? my DIY CO2 using citric/soda turns out not viable for the long run as it depletes so quickly, the most I could get is almost a week for the 2littre tank. really troublesome to keep mixing every week.

thanks in advance.

user posted image
How many bubble per second? I'm using one for my small tank setting 1 bubble per second can last for 1 month plus.
Carlos_Santan
post Jan 5 2024, 11:45 PM

Getting Started
96 posts

QUOTE(eddystorm @ Jan 5 2024, 11:34 PM)
How many bubble per second? I'm using one for my small tank setting 1 bubble per second can last for 1 month plus.
used to be 2bps but recently I cut it to 1 and still doesn't last long. now that you mentioned yours last longer I may have to check my line as I'm worried for leaks. I'm using the inline diffuser for 60p tank. how many gram citric/soda is your mix?
eddystorm
post Jan 6 2024, 12:01 AM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(Carlos_Santan @ Jan 5 2024, 11:45 PM)
used to be 2bps but recently I cut it to 1 and still doesn't last long. now that you mentioned yours last longer I may have to check my line as I'm worried for leaks. I'm using the inline diffuser for 60p tank. how many gram citric/soda is your mix?
200g+200g. I have a timer to only inject CO2 at 7am to 6pm.
Clueless07
post Feb 2 2024, 09:31 AM

Regular
1,184 posts

QUOTE(Carlos_Santan @ Jan 5 2024, 10:32 PM)

thanks in advance.

user posted image
first glance, i say no.
sugar-yeast dont generate high pressure- so most likely the tank/regulator is of low pressure design ( unless u can confirm so)
be safe and get a proper CO2 tank ( those like UP Aqua or something) try look for second hand one. complete set around rm 200 or so....

pressurized gas can be a bomb. even using a legit one... i still beware when open the valve every time i change the cylinder ( normally open it with my hand extended behind cabinet door- so face not direct)

Ps- ys DIY CO2 need very rajin. and also need tune the flow when pressure run low? this cause flutuation on CO2 is a bad bad for your system .

Carlos_Santan
post Feb 3 2024, 10:12 AM

Getting Started
96 posts

QUOTE(Clueless07 @ Feb 2 2024, 09:31 AM)
first glance, i say no.
sugar-yeast dont generate high pressure- so most likely the tank/regulator is of low pressure design ( unless u can confirm so)
be safe and get a proper CO2 tank ( those like UP Aqua or something) try look for second hand one. complete set around rm 200 or so....

pressurized gas can be a bomb. even using a legit one... i still beware when open the valve every time i change the cylinder ( normally open it with my hand extended behind cabinet door- so face not direct)

Ps- ys DIY CO2 need very rajin. and also need tune the flow when pressure run low? this cause flutuation on CO2 is a bad bad for your system .
I've changed to pressurised CO2 and best decision ever. only if I knew that the tank requires tedious work on weekly basis I would have never bought the DIY and the price is similar to getting pressurised CO2. unless you live in a remote area where refill is impossible then maybe DIY if not best go with the normal CO2 system. hopefully any newbies out there thinking of getting DIY CO2 I advice strongly don't.
BlizzardCraft
post Feb 7 2024, 04:51 PM

ChiakChiak
1,562 posts

Hello guys, wanna ask is a 10 litre tank suitable for fish ? Recently gotten 6 mollies… 3 died after a few days and I start researching more on the parameters..

I’m using hang on filter, there’s two fake plant deco and a small wood with tunnel to hide that I gotten from the aquarium store.
Using tensiongon, bactoclean and JBL pH Plus. Feed the fish once every two days.

One of the molly had 16 fries, quarantined them in a self make container with holes suspending above, now left 1 🥲 fed them 3-4 times a day. Will clean the remaining food.

Tried getting ammonia and the other parameters in control, things seem stable for a week or two… then the other 2 molly start swimming less and just staying on the bottom, eventually they passsed on two days ago 🥲

Not sure is it cz of the male molly keep chasing after those 2 or not..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0194sec    0.52    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 5th March 2024 - 11:49 AM