Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Planted Aquarium V14

EternalC
post Jul 17 2017, 08:39 AM
Take what you can, give nothing back
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(potionmaster1987 @ Jul 16 2017, 10:37 PM)
dear sifu,

I am intending to set up an aquascape aquarium.

1) I am planning to set up a 5 feet (5X2X2) aquarium but is advised by several people that 5ft is not economical as the set up price is double than the cost of 4feet. may i know your advise on the statement

2) I also planning to use 12mm tempered glass but found out that everybody prefer use normal glass compare to tempered glass. anybody have experience using tempered glass.

3) what is the best glue to use when constructing aquarium besides silicone?

thank you
1. no idea.

2. do not use tempered glass. tho its name is tempered, but lets say if a kid throw a rock towards your tank (not that anybody throws a rock inside your house) it will shatter and everything will come gushing out. normal glass would probably still have a crack and lines.

3. still silicone
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
potionmaster1987
post Jul 17 2017, 10:56 AM
Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(EternalC @ Jul 17 2017, 08:39 AM)
1. no idea.

2. do not use tempered glass. tho its name is tempered, but lets say if a kid throw a rock towards your tank (not that anybody throws a rock inside your house) it will shatter and everything will come gushing out. normal glass would probably still have a crack and lines.

3. still silicone
Tqvm on the reply. Well noted on the tempered glass safety issue . however, the tempered glass is much more stronger than normal glass rite?how about clarity issue? Any problem using tempered glass?
+Quote Post
EternalC
post Jul 17 2017, 11:13 AM

QUOTE(potionmaster1987 @ Jul 17 2017, 10:56 AM)
Tqvm on the reply. Well noted on the tempered glass safety issue . however, the tempered glass is much more stronger than normal glass rite?how about clarity issue? Any problem using tempered glass?
normal glass vs tempered glass clarity wise i think not much difference. i think tempered glass more resistance to scratch.

but however i still advise against using tempered glass. perhaps you should do some internet studies or research about tempered glass as aquarium tank before going further smile.gif
+Quote Post
potionmaster1987
post Jul 17 2017, 02:52 PM
Casual

QUOTE(EternalC @ Jul 17 2017, 11:13 AM)
normal glass vs tempered glass clarity wise i think not much difference. i think tempered glass more resistance to scratch.

but however i still advise against using tempered glass. perhaps you should do some internet studies or research about tempered glass as aquarium tank before going further smile.gif
I have google on the use of the tempered glass. I agree 100% on the shatter issue of tempered glass. Actually i receiced a quotation for 5X2X2 feet around rm1200 for tempered clear glass that i think very cheap.

However, non of my google finding mention about the disadvatages of using tempered glasa besides than shattering issue. I scared something goes wrong if i use the tempered glass such as silicone bonding does not goes well, or glass bulging etc
+Quote Post
EternalC
post Jul 17 2017, 03:01 PM

QUOTE(potionmaster1987 @ Jul 17 2017, 02:52 PM)
I have google on the use of the tempered glass. I agree 100% on the shatter issue of tempered glass. Actually i receiced a quotation for 5X2X2 feet around rm1200 for tempered clear glass that i think very cheap.

However, non of my google finding mention about the disadvatages of using tempered glasa besides than shattering issue. I scared something goes wrong if i use  the tempered glass such as silicone bonding does not goes well, or glass bulging etc
i see... i got not much info about the silicone and glass bulging. but i think silicone would do just fine.

would love to see your 5x2x2 once it is up weh drool.gif
+Quote Post
potionmaster1987
post Jul 17 2017, 04:24 PM
Casual

QUOTE(EternalC @ Jul 17 2017, 03:01 PM)
i see... i got not much info about the silicone and glass bulging. but i think silicone would do just fine.

would love to see your 5x2x2 once it is up weh  drool.gif
Hehe. Thank you very much bro... how about the proce, is it okay for rm1200 for 5ft
+Quote Post
EternalC
post Jul 17 2017, 04:42 PM

QUOTE(potionmaster1987 @ Jul 17 2017, 04:24 PM)
Hehe. Thank you very much bro... how about the proce, is it okay for rm1200 for 5ft
i think ok la for that price. long time not active in getting this price news. few years ago 5x2x2 is around rm1100 normal glass. not sure about now. janji u sendiri rasa puas then ok laugh.gif

but i warn u, the cost for set up will be more than the price of the tank laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Newgen
post Jul 17 2017, 05:26 PM
Getting Started

yeah you got to take into consideration for good filter system to get up to the good flow rates and filter cycling rates, and you got to need a lot of hard scapes to cover the whole tank, bags and bags of aquasoil, and another portion for the plants, loads of plants to start with!

Anyhow, good luck bro!

+Quote Post
Malformed
post Jul 17 2017, 05:48 PM
Getting Started

Those semi-transparent flat piece of acrylic that protects the fluorescent light from being hit with water. Mine got blurred through time. Similar effect from the stains from the water surface. This stain on the acrylic is causing the light intensity to reduce. Wanna know how you guys solve this problem.
+Quote Post
usmanjailani
post Jul 17 2017, 08:44 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(Malformed @ Jul 17 2017, 05:48 PM)
Those semi-transparent flat piece of acrylic that protects the fluorescent light from being hit with water. Mine got blurred through time. Similar effect from the stains from the water surface. This stain on the acrylic is causing the light intensity to reduce. Wanna know how you guys solve this problem.
i saw some video on cleaning acrylic panel..they use something like polishing agent..

i dont have time to do that..so i just strip it off..
+Quote Post
junsheng
post Jul 18 2017, 01:26 AM
---> pokemon ftw <---

QUOTE(potionmaster1987 @ Jul 17 2017, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE(EternalC @ Jul 17 2017, 11:13 AM)

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

normal glass or cured glass will do, strengthen glass is too expensive 2 consider normally custom made or super big size aquarium use those
last time my house uses tempered glass custom made aquarium 4 arowana, it cauz a lot of problems

This post has been edited by junsheng: Jul 18 2017, 01:30 AM
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
junsheng
post Jul 18 2017, 01:47 AM
---> pokemon ftw <---

QUOTE(Newgen @ Jun 28 2017, 12:41 PM)
Guys, need advise on a new lighting system for my 3ft aquarium. keen to explore LED or any light with hanger or "gooseneck" to hang the lights (was going to DIY for a light rack/hanger)
Budget below RM400 (would prefer to keep it lower so i can get a new bag of soil with the balance fund tongue.gif )
Appreciate your input!

Some little info for my setup: I have a 36"x18"x18" tank and I used to do aquascaping on medium to low light setup. I had 4x21 watt lights (2 housing unit with side leg bracket) with CO2 system with timer to do the work. I actually abandoned my tank for almost 4 years now since my first kid was born, and only that I know the lights stopped working entirely (after electricity tripped).
In the end I found out that my both the light housing unit is faulty and probably had a burnt ballast.

So recently my kid showed interest in fishes so I thought I would want to "restart" the project (still have some plants, corys and cherry shrimps in it, with a couple of yamato roaming and fighting for food inside biggrin.gif )
tis 1 best bang 4 buck if high light
https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Ray2-Aquarium...B008K3DO9I?th=1

u can get its finnex fuge ray if u r looking 4 medium / low light
+Quote Post
EternalC
post Jul 18 2017, 08:06 AM

QUOTE(junsheng @ Jul 18 2017, 01:26 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

normal glass or cured glass will do, strengthen glass is too expensive 2 consider normally custom made or super big size aquarium use those
last time my house uses tempered glass custom made aquarium 4 arowana, it cauz a lot of problems
ADA super kns expensive vmad.gif ranting.gif
+Quote Post
Newgen
post Jul 18 2017, 09:43 AM
Getting Started

QUOTE(junsheng @ Jul 18 2017, 01:47 AM)
tis 1 best bang 4 buck if high light
https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Ray2-Aquarium...B008K3DO9I?th=1

u can get its finnex fuge ray if u r looking 4 medium / low light
Bro I ended up getting 2x cheapo 30W LED flood light, and some DIY PVC pipe light hanger. Total damage was approx RM200 or so only.
Plants are doing well~ so glad!
+Quote Post
junsheng
post Jul 18 2017, 02:10 PM
---> pokemon ftw <---

QUOTE(EternalC @ Jul 18 2017, 08:06 AM)
ADA super kns expensive  vmad.gif  ranting.gif
yup, nowadays i just buy those china made 1, after scratched throw away lol
+Quote Post
kurangak
post Jul 18 2017, 03:28 PM
certified /k addict

any idea whether u can use laminated glass for aquarium? in theory it should be stronger than regular glass, no?
+Quote Post
Malformed
post Jul 20 2017, 01:06 AM
Getting Started

QUOTE(usmanjailani @ Jul 17 2017, 08:44 PM)
i saw some video on cleaning acrylic panel..they use something like polishing agent..

i dont have time to do that..so i just strip it off..
No concern in tripping the electricity? Strip it off means water can easily bounce into the casing.
+Quote Post
usmanjailani
post Jul 20 2017, 09:28 AM
Getting Started

QUOTE(Malformed @ Jul 20 2017, 01:06 AM)
No concern in tripping the electricity? Strip it off means water can easily bounce into the casing.
yes..but my tank dont have splashing issues..at least not until my cat jump in it..
+Quote Post
Biz@Ease
post Jul 20 2017, 11:23 AM
Group: New Member

All sifus,

Where I can buy fish in Klang valley? Nowadays very limited number of fishes in the market. Please help. Thanks
+Quote Post
Newgen
post Jul 20 2017, 11:32 AM
Getting Started

QUOTE(Biz@Ease @ Jul 20 2017, 11:23 AM)
All sifus,

Where I can buy fish in Klang valley? Nowadays very limited number of fishes in the market. Please help. Thanks
Mind to share what kind of fish you're looking for? I've been LFS fish hunting recently too.
Will share with you if I come by any fish that you're looking for.

+Quote Post

123 Pages « < 120 121 122 123 >Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0908sec    5.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 04:47 PM