Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Cat Lovers V7 ^_^, Fabulous Cats & People

views

pillage2001
post Aug 12 2020, 04:25 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

Just a question for those who have cats.....say if I have a indoor cat and I would need to go off for 2-3 days, is it okie to keep it in a cage with ample space?
pillage2001
post Aug 12 2020, 11:54 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(jess7 @ Aug 12 2020, 08:05 PM)
hey, i recommend putting your furkids into boarding, a clean reputable place.
cos you will never know what might happen to your kitty.
or have someone you trust pop over every day to check on the cat, making sure there's food, water and clean litter.
Will definitely restock necessities before going off for the weekend. Just wondering if they will be okie caged up for 2-3 days. Will have a CCTV camera looking at it and of course a friend nearby if there's a need to come over.
pillage2001
post Aug 17 2020, 02:24 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Aug 15 2020, 01:19 PM)
one cat?  cage big? how many litter box? food in dispenser?

nowadays, good cat boarding is hard to find, even the best, there are risk, like infection, getting lost, expensive etc..
Only planning for one cat. Kitten for now as I would want the cat to be acquainted with me from young. Am thinking one litter box in the cage and one prolly I put in my toilet so when I am home, I can let it out. Food can be in dispenser ( whichever works best )

I thought of boarding but as you mentioned, there are risks. Last resort, I have a friend who's willing to cat sit whenever I go back to KL for the weekend. lol.

Also, I was told not to let it loose in the balcony?
pillage2001
post Aug 17 2020, 11:57 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(victorsoo @ Aug 17 2020, 10:31 PM)
Since you have a CCTV, why don't you do a test run with your cat in the cage? Like when you go to work or if you're out for a few hours. Then you can observe how your cat reacts.

I think generally they'll be fine. I have friends who put their cats in a cage while they go to work.

Personally, I have left my cat home alone for 2 days 1 night before. No cage so she's free to roam the house. Just left her ample dry food and water and she was fine.
I don't have the cat yet. Hence all the planning and also what I need to look forward to. ahah.......

I will be abit paranoid to leaving it to roam around the house given the amount of glassware I have and I am worried of it scratching the speakers ( $$$ ) that I have. But point taken.....things to do....

pillage2001
post Aug 18 2020, 01:22 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(hirano @ Aug 18 2020, 11:18 AM)
Yes don't let cats out on the balcony, if you're living in a high rise. Some tend to jump and either hurt their legs or RIP
Noted....Thanks for the advice. biggrin.gif
pillage2001
post Oct 6 2020, 04:42 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

So....finally am pulling the trigger and getting a cat since there's a stray hybrid munchkin that was found.......lol...

Some quick Q,
1) Which litter sand type is good? I read that there's tofu and all so what do you guys use? I stay in a condo and would like to have as minimal smell as possible.
2) I am planning to go with dry food ( kibbles ) as much as I can. In terms of general health, any supplements that I should add in? I also read that it's good for them to consume raw food. Am thinking that I can get some raw salmon for cheaps so if it's good for the cat, why not?
3) How often do they really scratch? I have things on the ground that I really don't want it to be scratched as it's expensive so am trying to figure out how to avoid it.........
4) Vaccine, what is compulsory? How often to deflea/deworm?

This post has been edited by pillage2001: Oct 6 2020, 05:13 PM
pillage2001
post Oct 7 2020, 06:07 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(spunkberry @ Oct 7 2020, 01:16 AM)
Having a pet is a major responsibility, and if you are not willing to fork out the money necessary nor spend the time needed to keep them healthy and happy, don't get a pet.
Thanks for the reply. Money is not a problem...more on giving it the best. lol.

I was reading about tofu litter which is the most exp but also the best as it is easy to dispose and absorbs best. I suppose you're not in msia and you can't recommend a good brand you use?

Thanks for the other replies. biggrin.gif
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 12:49 AM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(KamisF @ Oct 7 2020, 10:06 PM)
if you can afford it try use pottycat tofu litter,
can mix charcoal & original or full charcoal to absorb the smell.

im using nurturpro tofu litter which is a little bit cheaper than pottycat
Thanks for the brand's recommendation. Will definitely look into it. biggrin.gif
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 12:53 AM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(jess7 @ Oct 7 2020, 09:07 PM)
spunkberry is right, keeping pets require time, patience and money.
As of today, my cats have been with me for 50weeks and I've spent 5k on them, not including the upcoming 11/11.
Most of my buys are done in bulk and I am always on the lookout for promos or sales.
Thanks for the detailed answer. One question though, what brand of food is good? I've read about RC and TOTW. There was a page that i bookmarked on FB but I can't seem to find it now that rates the food. Can you recommend some?
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 01:14 AM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(jess7 @ Oct 8 2020, 01:07 AM)
so far, i'm trying all brands
these are the dry food brands that I've fed

earthborn
cindy's recipe
fussie cat
proud
carnilove
totw
Thanks Jess, what about wetfood?
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 01:36 AM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(jess7 @ Oct 8 2020, 01:20 AM)
as for wet food, i prefer those 80g cans as i find the ingredients cleaner but they do enjoy some 400g cans as well.

brands i've tried:
fussie cat
cindy's recipe
nurture pro
monge
kit cat
i usually buy in cartons for wet food and the largest bag available for dry as I do have 2 house cats.

just trial and error, see what your cat like to eat and change the palate so it doesn't become too dependent on one particular food, only one of my cat doesn't favor chicken liver but will unwillingly eat.

thank goodness i don't have fussy eaters.
Thank you...so much to learn... lol...... Will get back to you folks once it arrives on my doorstep. Excited and scary at the same time. lol
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 03:06 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Oct 8 2020, 11:41 AM)
stray hibrid munchkin ....

any plans to neuter/spay??
Prolly after 6months..... Any concerns there?
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 03:17 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(scsoo @ Oct 8 2020, 01:36 PM)
1) Which litter sand type is good? I read that there's tofu and all so what do you guys use? I stay in a condo and would like to have as minimal smell as possible.

Using Clay Litter, Do note that clay litter go by Kg and if condo a 12Kg packet not easy to carry. If buy in Bulk say 5 bags of 12Kg will really be a task to carry. I am using OdourLock and seem to does that, lock the odour. Only release smell when scooping and if the cats don't properly buried it. If money no object can always get those automated Litter box that is enclosed. No scooping needed and just bag up and throw.

Lucky I have a storeroom at the basement so I can store it downstairs first but I agree with you on the weight being a bitch. LOL, how much are the automated litter box?

2) I am planning to go with dry food ( kibbles ) as much as I can. In terms of general health, any supplements that I should add in?  I also read that it's good for them to consume raw food. Am thinking that I can get some raw salmon for cheaps so if it's good for the cat, why not?

Mine free feeding kibble and water in tray and fountain. I let them run free at my Condo. Feeding them those 80gm can. Will mix those 80gm can when buy. So they can have variety. Not buying same flavor only. Mix brand as well for variety. Kibble currently using Leornado. Last time using Blackwood. If money no object.. then Orijen....
Food is always the issue.. 1 of my cat is a fussy eater but luckily I have another that eat everything. So the fussy one if don't eat I just pass to the other.

I was shocked at the price of Orijen but getting 5.4Kg seems to be more worthwhile and assuming the cat eats about 80g a day, it can last for 2 months which is okie I guess.

3) How often do they really scratch? I have things on the ground that I really don't want it to be scratched as it's expensive so am trying to figure out how to avoid it.........

Part and parcel of having cat... they need to scratch. For me I live with it. Have all the scratching post and stuff. Cats can be mischievous so need to scold a bit. I don't mind some stuff being destroyed by them, also get those suppose to be cat proof...

Will prolly get a scratching pad or post. I have floorstanding speakers which I don't know how to scratch proof it. lol. My sofa is about destroyed anyway so they can do what they want with the sofa

4) Vaccine, what is compulsory? How often to deflea/deworm?

Refer to your Vet. Mine all indoor so very little issue with Flea and worms...
Thanks for the reply.
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 03:19 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(Kelly_Sim @ Oct 8 2020, 01:46 AM)
Farmina N&D dry kibbles are trending now.
They only have 10kg and 5kg for now. But i did get mine repacked from shops.

Best protein available now. If u have budget can go for N&D, otherwise you can get their middle range Farmina Matisse.
Just saw it on Shopee that sells repack. I'll prolly get a few brands and see what it prefers before buying the 5kg or more ones. Worse come worst, just steam some fish or chicken to start with, lol.

This post has been edited by pillage2001: Oct 8 2020, 03:19 PM
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 04:13 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Oct 8 2020, 04:01 PM)
surgery fee varies ...
some complain expensive,
so..  jz to let you know,

vaccination price also varies abit...

tho one experiment shows that it is not true....

most vets in msia, likes to suggest for male cat, wait til at least one year old...

mebe the lecturer @ upm likes to keep telling them that...
How much is surgery fees? 200ish or more? Either way, if it's needed then I'll do it. Heard that female cats have to neuter else it'll be bad for the cat?
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 05:33 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(scsoo @ Oct 8 2020, 05:03 PM)
<Lucky I have a storeroom at the basement so I can store it downstairs first but I agree with you on the weight being a bitch. LOL, how much are the automated litter box?>

I purchase in bulk as sand/clay can keep well.... Just carry once few bags with trolley every few month. Automated Litter box, there quite a few selection, manual one cheaper.. think RM200-300. Those electricity driven one are more expensive.. range from RM500 think to a few thousand depends on how complicated... Expensive type... after every bowel movement it will clean.. to empty you just press a button and just pick up the bag.. of course you pay for the convenience... but you still need to fill up litter and throw away the poo.

<I was shocked at the price of Orijen but getting 5.4Kg seems to be more worthwhile and assuming the cat eats about 80g a day, it can last for 2 months which is okie I guess.>

To me I don't really recommend Orijen, in case your cat get fussy.. end up don't want to eat other cheaper alternative....

<Will prolly get a scratching pad or post. I have floorstanding speakers which I don't know how to scratch proof it. lol. My sofa is about destroyed anyway so they can do what they want with the sofa>

So far my Speaker still save from my cats... Maybe they don't like KEF..... one of it just love to sleep on my centre speaker.... Sometime on my AVR. Don't know how she tolerate the heat.... AVR run hot. Good luck on Speaker.. some of my friends cats love the play with the speaker cover, mine don't.. lucky me....

To me get them spay/neuter on the soonest... so less worries.... once done vaccine.. and vet say can.. just do it
Awesome...thanks for the feedback. smile.gif And best part...my speakers are KEF too..Which do you have? lol....Yeah.AVR gets damn freaking hot but turning on Eco mode makes it alot cooler so hopefully that fella don't climb up. lol.
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 05:54 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Oct 8 2020, 04:32 PM)
need to check previous posts... some price was mentioned i think..

female, must spay.
a growing cat, will heal very fast.

food for kitten, dont have to buy many to test.

I dont recommend repack, because seller cant proof the expiry date, original packing was opened, transparent plastic bag promotes oxidation, food exposed to light.

Kitten kibble the size is small.
can start with small bag of rc kitten, most will like it very much.
later can switch to other brands.
totw the smell is not strong, fussy cats don't like.
Noted. Thanks for the advices on the repack. It's true also that it might be expired already. Will see what I can do. Initially thought to start off with RC kitten but they say it's better to do grain free.....
pillage2001
post Oct 8 2020, 06:01 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Oct 8 2020, 05:05 PM)
Most expensive cat litter in msia, bcos only available in PLC.

Bought this to check out, not the odour locking capability,
but the almost zero dust claim.
After watchin this video...

So, if compare to all those china clay, this litter is like less than 5% dust of those other clay litter.

Tracks easily, cos sand like particles.

The cheapest clay litter per kg is Catspro.  1bag 8kg exact. RM12 only.

user posted image
400 freaking bucks.......lol.......this is abit to extreme. ahaha.
pillage2001
post Oct 15 2020, 12:11 AM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(Kelly_Sim @ Oct 14 2020, 04:23 PM)
is it? nice! seldom shop online, but now with MCO, i think i will buy the repack from online
Yup, do check it out. biggrin.gif
pillage2001
post Oct 23 2020, 02:26 PM

Regular
1,590 posts

QUOTE(IpohGuyz @ Oct 23 2020, 01:49 PM)
must vaccine, or you will regret. deworm comes with vaccine, do together. rm 8 only for deworm. dr say deworm every 3 months, but some lazy is once a year. mine is one a year deworm, not because i lazy but i only aware of dr say every 3 months recently.

more guides for raising cats that i sharing as per my experience.

https://catanswer.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the link. Do help alot. Am still waiting to pick up the kitten. Stupid CMCO is making the wait harder.......

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0431sec    0.59    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 6th December 2020 - 02:50 AM