Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

137 Pages « < 121 122 123 124 125 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Official Lowyat.NET Sintua Thread, A thread on Chinese folk religion.

lie_ric
post Apr 9 2018, 01:27 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Apr 7 2018, 01:18 PM)
Unfortunately, these don't really ring a bell.

I wonder if they represent, as I mentioned earlier, generic Celestial steeds or if they are a representation of the Celestial Stables as a whole.

Maybe someone else who knows more might be able to shed light on the issue, or if you do return to any of the temples where they are enshrined, you yourself might be able to make an inquiry.

I'm genuinely curious.
Unfortunately, this is the only place I can ask questions and expected some proper answer. As these temples care-taker adopted "Don't ask just do as instructed" attitude or some of them are not very sure about the story or origin of the deities enshrined within.
arenax
post Apr 11 2018, 09:32 AM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Dec 29 2014, 05:35 AM)
Geez. Pretty quiet in here; surely there MUST be people who adhere to Chinese folk religion on this forum? I did a search of the Kopitiam and saw plenty of threads on Datuk worship, the Hungry Ghost Festival and other related topics.  blink.gif
Hungry ghost festival is a Buddhist tradition. Most Chinese are confused which is which.

God is pronounced 'Sim' and not 'Sin'.
nachtsider
post Apr 11 2018, 09:01 PM

Casual

QUOTE(arenax @ Apr 11 2018, 09:32 AM)
Hungry ghost festival is a Buddhist tradition. Most Chinese are confused which is which.

God is pronounced 'Sim' and not 'Sin'.
The Hungry Ghost Festival has its roots in the Buddhist Ulambana, but has since been adopted by Chinese folk religion and become subjected to that faith's spin or individual interpretation, as well.

In which dialect is 'god' pronounced as 'sim'? I am Hokkien and so are the majority of sintua adherents; in Hokkien, it most definitely is pronounced as 'sin'.
arenax
post Apr 11 2018, 09:20 PM

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Apr 11 2018, 09:01 PM)
The Hungry Ghost Festival has its roots in the Buddhist Ulambana, but has since been adopted by Chinese folk religion and become subjected to that faith's spin or individual interpretation, as well.

In which dialect is 'god' pronounced as 'sim'? I am Hokkien and so are the majority of sintua adherents; in Hokkien, it most definitely is pronounced as 'sin'.
True. It's origin is Buddhism , I am glad you don't deny it like some people I've met.

I am sorry, I mistake for 'heart' which is 'sim'. Yes, god is 'sin'.

My brain is too tired today due to hot weather.

nachtsider
post Apr 11 2018, 11:26 PM

Casual

QUOTE(thomasbone @ Feb 8 2018, 11:09 PM)
Hi,

I recently went to a SINTUA in Tampines and was amazed. The medium was an Indian and he got tranced to Toh Ya Pek and also Li Ah Pek.

He gave me a 4D and I strike 1st prize.

I was also walking past the prayers place and decided to see the medium and got a lottery number. I heard they trance here on every 15 of the chinese month.

Anyone heard about this place before?

#Tampines Tua Li Ya Peh Sintua 大二爺伯
#TuaLiYaPek
#Hellgods
#大二爺伯
This is a public service announcement.

If you are in Singapore, avoid the abovementioned sintua like the plague.

They are a scam operation; they charge money, and they claim to be able to channel deities that rightfully cannot be channeled.

They are located at Block 228, Tampines Street 23.

They use the following Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/spiritualgiftss/

Do not fall for their tricks.
greenday
post Apr 13 2018, 10:20 PM

Getting Started

Hi Nacht,

dunno this has been asked before or not, still browsing the thread =P

1) Dai Pak Gong is categorized as yin deity, does this mean he is part of hell deities?

2) let just say if a person is the godson of a deity in temple A, does this relationship extend beyond that temple with the same deity? maybe in temple B that has the same deity? normally the godson will address the medium in trance as godfather if they are the godchild but does this hold the same in different temple?

3) if i am not mistaken, there are different "lvl" or "state" that a deity can be channeled , i.e i have seen before there are mediums channeling juvenile Ji Gong and adult Ji Gong. hmmm what is reason to have different version of this? does the godson relationship in (2) extend / applicable beyond the lvl? Does it mean the higher lvl is more powerful? hmmm how many lvl or state are there?

TQ =D
nachtsider
post Apr 14 2018, 07:13 AM

Casual

QUOTE(greenday @ Apr 13 2018, 10:20 PM)
Hi Nacht,

dunno this has been asked before or not, still browsing the thread =P

1) Dai Pak Gong is categorized as yin deity, does this mean he is part of hell deities?

2) let just say if a person is the godson of a deity in temple A, does this relationship extend beyond that temple with the same deity? maybe in temple B that has the same deity? normally the godson will address the medium in trance as godfather if they are the godchild but does this hold the same in different temple?

3) if i am not mistaken, there are different "lvl" or "state" that a deity can be channeled , i.e i have seen before there are mediums channeling juvenile Ji Gong and adult Ji Gong. hmmm what is reason to have different version of this? does the godson relationship in (2) extend / applicable beyond the lvl? Does it mean the higher lvl is more powerful? hmmm how many lvl or state are there?

TQ =D
1. By 'Dai Pak Gong', do you mean Tua Pek Gong? You are speaking a form of dialect that I do not recognise/understand. If you mean Tua Pek Gong, then no, he is not a Hell deity. If you mean Tua Ya Pek, then yes, he is a Hell deity.

2. It all depends on whether or not the deity is a singular individual. For instance, if you are a godchild of Na Zha, you will be recognised at all Na Zha temples, because there is only one Na Zha. Same goes with Ji Gong, Lord guan, etc. They are all singular deities. If you are a godchild of Tua Ya Pek, however, that would really depend, because there are dozens of Tua Ya Peks. He is not a singular deity.

3. The state or form of a particular deity that can be channeled depends on how physically and mentally fit the medium is to channel that particular state or form. Different states or forms can possess different powers. But at the end of the day, the deity's identity is the same throughout, and the godchild relationship will extend across the board.
nachtsider
post Apr 14 2018, 10:40 AM

Casual

QUOTE(arenax @ Apr 11 2018, 09:20 PM)
True. It's origin is Buddhism , I am glad you  don't deny it like some people I've met.

I am sorry, I mistake for 'heart' which is 'sim'. Yes, god is 'sin'.

My brain is too tired today due to  hot weather.
I acknowledge whatever is undisputed fact. smile.gif
arenax
post Apr 14 2018, 12:24 PM

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Apr 14 2018, 10:40 AM)
I acknowledge whatever is undisputed fact.  smile.gif
By the way, if you want to know origin of Hokkien people, Han Chinese and other related stuff. Here is a good website. Click on topics/archive on right side for past postings.

http://eastasiaorigin.blogspot.com/
IAmLejen
post Apr 17 2018, 04:19 PM

Getting Started

Finally finish reading the thread in 3 days time! What an informative thread this is! I am Guan Yin's God Kid as well and my family can be said to have strong ties with the sintua religion as well for example most of my family will eat vege for 3-12 days during the 9 Emperor's festival. I got a question for Dr Nacht due to curiosity.

How does one know they are being chosen to become a medium? Any signs or visions?
Thank you!
nachtsider
post Apr 19 2018, 08:11 AM

Casual

QUOTE(IAmLejen @ Apr 17 2018, 04:19 PM)
Finally finish reading the thread in 3 days time! What an informative thread this is! I am Guan Yin's God Kid as well and my family can be said to have strong ties with the sintua religion as well for example most of my family will eat vege for 3-12 days during the 9 Emperor's festival. I got a question for Dr Nacht due to curiosity.

How does one know they are being chosen to become a medium? Any signs or visions?
Thank you!
Hello Lejen,

Yes, you will be notified via a vision or a dream if you are selected for mediumship.

Thank you for stopping by; do stick around and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. smile.gif

Nacht
iamoracle
post Apr 19 2018, 08:49 AM

Casual

Glad to see that this thread is still as interesting as before. smile.gif

One question for our in-house expert, Dr. Nacht.

There are usually some sorts of gesture or action performed by a medium when channeling a deity. Are all mediums channeling the same deity will perform the same "standard operating procedures"?

Thanks.

This post has been edited by iamoracle: Apr 19 2018, 08:50 AM
nachtsider
post Apr 19 2018, 10:28 AM

Casual

QUOTE(iamoracle @ Apr 19 2018, 08:49 AM)
Glad to see that this thread is still as interesting as before. smile.gif

One question for our in-house expert, Dr. Nacht.

There are usually some sorts of gesture or action performed by a medium when channeling a deity. Are all mediums channeling the same deity will perform the same "standard operating procedures"?

Thanks.
There are some poses and gestures that are unique to certain deities.

Others are common to all Heavenly gods, and others are common to all Hell deities.

You will rarely find poses and gestures that are common to both Heavenly and Hell beings, save perhaps normal bows and other gestures of deference.

Heavenly gods tend to adopt very regal and striking poses, while Hell deities tend to have weird inhuman postures that reflect their nature as ghosts/undead creatures.

Take a look at this first video; watch from 13:40 to see Lord Guan's imperious body language:

Then take a look at this second video; watch from 0:48 to see how Li Ya Pek walks.

raggen
post Apr 20 2018, 12:44 AM

Group: Newbie

Hey nach wanted to ask ah,
usually i go temple bai bai with my family they will go to the kim zua section and also take 2 packets of offerings.
- a packet of dried tea leaves wrapped around with a thick paper
- a packet of "prayer cookie/biscuit" which is in a plastic wrapper. The prayer cookie/biscuit is vertical shape and pink in colour. It looks very similar to the frozen crab stick that we buy in the supermarket those kind.

Than they will cut it open and put on a red tray and leave it on the table before the gods.

Usually i don't really notice or care about it because it happens everytime since young. And everytime we give the offerings is my parents or older brother give. So i recently go bai bai on my own than i realised i dont know what to do.

- should i bring the tea leaves and prayer cookie home? or should it be burnt? (I rmb my family always just leave there but i might be wrong. just want to confim)
- if the temple got many altars should i offer all of them tea leave and prayer cookie?
- is there a reason why we offer this 2 items? Like is there a symbolic reason? I also see it all the time by the roadside esp during 7th month. Or also just randomly by the roadside
- should it be offered to the gods before or after praying?

Thanks alot nacht.

This post has been edited by raggen: Apr 20 2018, 12:47 AM
nachtsider
post Apr 20 2018, 06:41 AM

Casual

QUOTE(raggen @ Apr 20 2018, 12:44 AM)
Hey nach wanted to ask ah,
usually i go temple bai bai with my family they will go to the kim zua section and also take 2 packets of offerings.
- a packet of dried tea leaves wrapped around with a thick paper
- a packet of "prayer cookie/biscuit" which is in a plastic wrapper. The prayer cookie/biscuit is vertical shape and pink in colour. It looks very similar to the frozen crab stick that we buy in the supermarket those kind.

Than they will cut it open and put on a red tray and leave it on the table before the gods.

Usually i don't really notice or care about it because it happens everytime since young. And everytime we give the offerings is my parents or older brother give. So i recently go bai bai on my own than i realised i dont know what to do.

- should i bring the tea leaves and prayer cookie home? or should it be burnt? (I rmb my family always just leave there but i might be wrong. just want to confim)
- if the temple got many altars should i offer all of them tea leave and prayer cookie?
- is there a reason why we offer this 2 items? Like is there a symbolic reason? I also see it all the time by the roadside esp during 7th month. Or also just randomly by the roadside
- should it be offered to the gods before or after praying?
Thanks alot nacht.
The places I attend don't include tidbits of this sort.

It's not part of the standard practice in my part of the woods.

Why don't you ask the staff and find out?
iamoracle
post Apr 20 2018, 08:06 AM

Casual

Dr. Natch,
Lord Guan is real historical figure in the ancient China time. What we have learnt about him are mainly from The Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel which mixes facts with fictions or other sources which may not reflect the real story about him.

I always have this idea but it sounds unconventional. It would be interesting if we could ask Lord Guan about his life history personally. Is that possible during consultation with the medium who channels Lord Guan? Would it appear rude to the deity?

Thanks.

nachtsider
post Apr 20 2018, 08:46 AM

Casual

QUOTE(iamoracle @ Apr 20 2018, 08:06 AM)
Dr. Natch,
Lord Guan is real historical figure in the ancient China time. What we have learnt about him are mainly from The Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel which mixes facts with fictions or other sources which may not reflect the real story about him.

I always have this idea but it sounds unconventional. It would be interesting if we could ask Lord Guan about his life history personally. Is that possible during consultation with the medium who channels Lord Guan? Would it appear rude to the deity?

Thanks.
Someone actually tried this with a legitimate Lord Guan medium.

The aspect of Lord Guan that was being channeled stated that did not know the whole story, as he was merely a 'memory' of the Lord Guan, 'an embodiment of his courage and warrior spirit' and not the original article.

Being a diluted copy of the original (a copy of a copy of a copy), who only came into existence when the sintua was founded in order to serve as its resident aspect of Lord Guan, he was somewhat hazy regarding his progenitor, retaining his personality and skill set but not necessarily all his memories.

According to him, the original Lord Guan has probably long since ascended beyond even the Heavenly Realm and left the running of things to his various copies and aspects.
nachtsider
post May 7 2018, 08:02 PM

Casual

Tomorrow is the birthday of Ma Zu the sea goddess, matron of mariners, seafarers, fisherfolk and travelers.

If you happen to be in KL, feel free to swing by the Thean Hou Temple in Taman Persiaran Desa; it is the largest and grandest temple dedicated to her, and festivities in her honor will be in full swing.

user posted image
nachtsider
post May 9 2018, 05:45 PM

Casual

It's that time of the year again.

Vote wisely, everybody.

user posted image
conxtion
post May 11 2018, 01:06 PM

Getting Started

The message got through, we voted wisely.

137 Pages « < 121 122 123 124 125 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0841sec    6.85    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st September 2018 - 09:51 AM