Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

137 Pages « < 119 120 121 122 123 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Official Lowyat.NET Sintua Thread, A thread on Chinese folk religion.

CarrotMilk7517
post Dec 23 2017, 02:02 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(counselor @ Dec 17 2017, 10:47 PM)
There are many alternatives you can go for blessings cause most of us have similar problems. The broga temple is one of them. Maybe you can try.
QUOTE(counselor @ Dec 18 2017, 08:47 PM)
I can ask the person that bring me there. She prayed for me and prepared everything for me. I will ask her for details when she is free. Let u know.
Any better after praying at there?

I want to know too.
nachtsider
post Dec 24 2017, 04:17 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

Merry Christmas, sintua thread readers and participants - may there be peace on earth and goodwill to all!

user posted image
nachtsider
post Jan 1 2018, 09:32 AM

Casual

Happy New Year, everyone - hope you're not hungover!

user posted image
HwangTommy
post Jan 4 2018, 12:00 AM

Casual

Hi, posted here before. Indonesian Chinese here and I used to study in Malaysia (the uni near Sak Dato Temple in Broga). When I graduated uni, a lot of job interviews I went to end up rejecting me. My mom then suggested that I go pray the Thousand Hand Guanyin in Singapore (Waterloo St.) and I was told to pray for Hou Ya Gong (虎爺公). It was near Chinese New Year at that time and I prayed to ”提防小人“. I wasn't religious back then (except for praying Guanyin everyday at home).

A few months later, I actually got a job offer, even though I only lasted 2 months and got another better job offer, although the job is in Jakarta instead of KL where I wanted to be. Now, working as a salesman, I sometimes get to go back to my hometown and meet my partners from there. I went back for New Year last week and the salesman from our partner company took me to pray 财神爷. His boss donated a lot for that temple and there isn't only 财神爷, but there are a lot of deities such as 观音, 华佗, 12将军, 拿督公, etc. Instagram link of the temple: https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations...ra-viriya-pala/ When praying to Cai Shen, I felt I should join His birthday celebration this year (I heard that the temple is very crowded on His birthday). My parents used to go to the temple on his birthday when they are doing business, but now they've retired and just worship and respect Him without being too devout

We then continued on to pray 虎爺公 in another temple. Too bad I was in a rush to take photos. I'll shoot some photos when I go back to my hometown again.

Although I am now working in Jakarta (I actually wanted to work in KL after finishing uni, didn't feel like going back to Indonesia), on the bright side, I got a really decent job in an MNC and their SEA base is in Malaysia, just hoping now I can transfer and be back there soon smile.gif

Now in Jakarta, I often go to Buddhist temples (they have a Sunday service) and abstaining from eating meat every 1st and 15th of the lunar month. The Chinese Buddhist culture here is different from my hometown, and I enjoy telling people about our Chinese folk religion cultures to the peeps here. My hometown is just a short swim away from Singapore/Malaysia, thus us having the same Chinese folk religion culture. It's such a shame that I haven't found a Sintua temple here, maybe I should explore the city soon smile.gif

After reading some posts again in this page, I saw that Broga Sak Dato temple post. I went there once with a friend to look around (you know, bored Uni students, lol). I will be in Malaysia again next week, any guide to worship in that temple? Any information would be appreciated. Planning to bring my girlfriend there, she is not a devout Chinese, want to teach her a few things about worshipping in temples.

I feel after I started working as a salesman I start to believe in my own Chinese folk religion more. Praying gives me that calm moment part about my highly stressful job. Hope 财神爷 can give me lots of sales and hit my target this year biggrin.gif

Happy new year folks! Sorry for the long post!
nachtsider
post Jan 4 2018, 03:07 PM

Casual

QUOTE(HwangTommy @ Jan 4 2018, 12:00 AM)
Hi, posted here before. Indonesian Chinese here and I used to study in Malaysia (the uni near Sak Dato Temple in Broga). When I graduated uni, a lot of job interviews I went to end up rejecting me. My mom then suggested that I go pray the Thousand Hand Guanyin in Singapore (Waterloo St.) and I was told to pray for Hou Ya Gong (虎爺公). It was near Chinese New Year at that time and I prayed to ”提防小人“. I wasn't religious back then (except for praying Guanyin everyday at home).

A few months later, I actually got a job offer, even though I only lasted 2 months and got another better job offer, although the job is in Jakarta instead of KL where I wanted to be. Now, working as a salesman, I sometimes get to go back to my hometown and meet my partners from there. I went back for New Year last week and the salesman from our partner company took me to pray 财神爷. His boss donated a lot for that temple and there isn't only 财神爷, but there are a lot of deities such as 观音, 华佗, 12将军, 拿督公, etc. Instagram link of the temple: https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations...ra-viriya-pala/ When praying to Cai Shen, I felt I should join His birthday celebration this year (I heard that the temple is very crowded on His birthday). My parents used to go to the temple on his birthday when they are doing business, but now they've retired and just worship and respect Him without being too devout

We then continued on to pray 虎爺公 in another temple. Too bad I was in a rush to take photos. I'll shoot some photos when I go back to my hometown again.

Although I am now working in Jakarta (I actually wanted to work in KL after finishing uni, didn't feel like going back to Indonesia), on the bright side, I got a really decent job in an MNC and their SEA base is in Malaysia, just hoping now I can transfer and be back there soon smile.gif

Now in Jakarta, I often go to Buddhist temples (they have a Sunday service) and abstaining from eating meat every 1st and 15th of the lunar month. The Chinese Buddhist culture here is different from my hometown, and I enjoy telling people about our Chinese folk religion cultures to the peeps here. My hometown is just a short swim away from Singapore/Malaysia, thus us having the same Chinese folk religion culture. It's such a shame that I haven't found a Sintua temple here, maybe I should explore the city soon smile.gif

After reading some posts again in this page, I saw that Broga Sak Dato temple post. I went there once with a friend to look around (you know, bored Uni students, lol). I will be in Malaysia again next week, any guide to worship in that temple? Any information would be appreciated. Planning to bring my girlfriend there, she is not a devout Chinese, want to teach her a few things about worshipping in temples.

I feel after I started working as a salesman I start to believe in my own Chinese folk religion more. Praying gives me that calm moment part about my highly stressful job. Hope 财神爷 can give me lots of sales and hit my target this year biggrin.gif

Happy new year folks! Sorry for the long post!
Hello and happy new year, Tom.

The important thing to bear in mind whenever you visit a Datuk temple is to not consume anything non-Halal prior to visiting, and to offer only Halal food items, given that the Datuks are Muslim; favourite offerings include glutinous rice, betel leaves, lime paste, shredded tobacco and coffee.

Datuks also like it if you address them in Malay; this shows that you are making an effort to assimilate with their culture.
HwangTommy
post Jan 4 2018, 08:50 PM

Casual

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Jan 4 2018, 02:07 PM)
Hello and happy new year, Tom.

The important thing to bear in mind whenever you visit a Datuk temple is to not consume anything non-Halal prior to visiting, and to offer only Halal food items, given that the Datuks are Muslim; favourite offerings include glutinous rice, betel leaves, lime paste, shredded tobacco and coffee.

Datuks also like it if you address them in Malay; this shows that you are making an effort to assimilate with their culture.
Hello nacht.

Noted. When I pray, do I speak in Malay?
nachtsider
post Jan 4 2018, 10:10 PM

Casual

QUOTE(HwangTommy @ Jan 4 2018, 08:50 PM)
Hello nacht.

Noted. When I pray, do I speak in Malay?
Yes, that is correct.
nachtsider
post Jan 6 2018, 06:08 AM

Casual

QUOTE(counselor @ Jan 5 2018, 07:48 PM)
Hello Nacht. I want to consult you. There used to be a small datuk outside my condo area. Lots of people pray there. There is also a small guan yin statue and some other deities in the same house. However I think 8 months ago, the statues were taken away. We not sure stolen or whatever happened. Some people still pray blindly. I would like to know what's the process if we were to buy new datuk statue and invite datuk to stay in the house again. Thanks.
The Datuk statue has to be consecrated by a medium who channels a Datuk before it can be used for any worship purposes.
HwangTommy
post Jan 10 2018, 11:32 PM

Casual

Hi Nacht

I went to a small temple near the place I lived today (passed by there on the way to dinner). I am not familiar with the Buddhas I attached. Care to explain to me? Thanks a lot!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
nachtsider
post Jan 11 2018, 07:17 AM

Casual

QUOTE(HwangTommy @ Jan 10 2018, 11:32 PM)
Hi Nacht

I went to a small temple near the place I lived today (passed by there on the way to dinner). I am not familiar with the Buddhas I attached. Care to explain to me? Thanks a lot!
The gentleman on the left I am unfamiliar with; perhaps you could return to the place and make an inquiry as to who he is, for I, too, am interested to learn more.

The lady on the right is not a Buddha; she is Xi Wang Mu, the Queen Mother of the West. She is a protector and matron of women everywhere, and owns the gardens in which the Peaches of Immortality are cultivated. Most people are in agreement that she and the Jade Emperor are somehow related, but apparently no one can agree as to whether she is his wife, sister, mother or just a friend.
HwangTommy
post Jan 11 2018, 10:30 AM

Casual

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Jan 11 2018, 06:17 AM)
The gentleman on the left I am unfamiliar with; perhaps you could return to the place and make an inquiry as to who he is, for I, too, am interested to learn more.

The lady on the right is not a Buddha; she is Xi Wang Mu, the Queen Mother of the West. She is a protector and matron of women everywhere, and owns the gardens in which the Peaches of Immortality are cultivated. Most people are in agreement that she and the Jade Emperor are somehow related, but apparently no one can agree as to whether she is his wife, sister, mother or just a friend.
Hi Nacht

According to information I found, the temple might be a Tibetan temple. The gentleman is, from what I researched, the Yellow Jambhala (黄财神). CMIIW.
raggen
post Jan 14 2018, 05:49 PM

hi nacht.
how come caishen got a military caishen? This is what i notice, usually theres the mainstream caishen where everyone pay for wealth. But i heard theres also a military/general version of him?
Any idea about this? And are they the same?
nachtsider
post Jan 15 2018, 04:41 PM

Casual

QUOTE(raggen @ Jan 14 2018, 05:49 PM)
hi nacht.
how come caishen got a military caishen? This is what i notice, usually theres the mainstream caishen where everyone pay for wealth. But i heard theres also a military/general version of him?
Any idea about this? And are they the same?
Hi raggen,

The mainstream 'civil' wealth god is the one who bestows wealth.

The 'military' wealth god has a different function; he does not bestow wealth, but he PROTECTS it (from being cheated, robbed, stolen, et cetera).

The civil wealth god and the military wealth god are totally different individuals, and not different aspects of the same god.

Two famous civil wealth gods are Cai Shen Ye and Tua Pek Gong; two famous military wealth gods are Lord Guan and Marshal Zhao (I have spoken about all of them earlier in this thread already).

Nacht
raggen
post Jan 16 2018, 04:19 PM

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Jan 15 2018, 04:41 PM)
Hi raggen,

The mainstream 'civil' wealth god is the one who bestows wealth.

The 'military' wealth god has a different function; he does not bestow wealth, but he PROTECTS it (from being cheated, robbed, stolen, et cetera).

The civil wealth god and the military wealth god are totally different individuals, and not different aspects of the same god.

Two famous civil wealth gods are Cai Shen Ye and Tua Pek Gong; two famous military wealth gods are Lord Guan and Marshal Zhao (I have spoken about all of them earlier in this thread already).

Nacht
thanks for the clarification again!
looking forward to my first visit to my local caishen temple during chinese new year
KuzumiTaiga
post Jan 21 2018, 11:10 PM

Spends too much time with mechanical keyboards
Group: Senior Member

Hi Nacht, would like to ask, why is caishen considered as one of the five commissioners of pestilence (wenshen)? to my understanding those deities are associated with illnesses, but caishen is often associated with wealth instead, quite confused... hmm.gif
nachtsider
post Jan 22 2018, 01:37 PM

Casual

QUOTE(KuzumiTaiga @ Jan 21 2018, 11:10 PM)
Hi Nacht, would like to ask, why is caishen considered as one of the five commissioners of pestilence (wenshen)? to my understanding those deities are associated with illnesses, but caishen is often associated with wealth instead, quite confused... hmm.gif
The God of Wealth has nothing to do with the Five Lords of Pestilence.

They are totally separate entities.
KuzumiTaiga
post Jan 22 2018, 02:11 PM

Spends too much time with mechanical keyboards
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Jan 22 2018, 01:37 PM)
The God of Wealth has nothing to do with the Five Lords of Pestilence.

They are totally separate entities.
isn't one of the Five Lords of Pestilence Zhao Gongming?
nachtsider
post Jan 22 2018, 03:08 PM

Casual

QUOTE(KuzumiTaiga @ Jan 22 2018, 02:11 PM)
isn't one of the Five Lords of Pestilence Zhao Gongming?
He is one of the Five Directional Gods of Wealth.

None of the Five Lords of Pestilence has the surname Zhao.
conxtion
post Jan 29 2018, 10:18 PM

Getting Started

Hi, may I know the difference between Tudi Gong vs Dizhu Gong? (Sorry if wrongly spelt)

Tq
nachtsider
post Jan 30 2018, 06:58 AM

Casual

QUOTE(conxtion @ Jan 29 2018, 10:18 PM)
Hi, may I know the difference between Tudi Gong vs Dizhu Gong? (Sorry if wrongly spelt)

Tq
Di Zhu Gong is a very minor earth deity, usually assigned to an individual homestead on an individual plot of land.

Tu Di Gong ranks higher; he can be in charge of several estates or tracts of soil.

137 Pages « < 119 120 121 122 123 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0806sec    2.90    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd September 2018 - 12:49 PM