Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Singapore V17, All about living in the Lil' Red Dot

views

KiNo123
post Feb 28 2015, 09:17 AM

Getting Started
177 posts

My situation:

1. started working for 4 days (still no S pass card)
2. medical reports (Raffles) still yet to be received, 6 working days already
3. white card due 9th March (and i have used up like 5x/60 days limit)

i consulted HR and she didn giv clear answer but just 'hope' i can get medical report nxt week, and she told me i cant get extension if i hit the 60 days limit.

any advice i can possibly extend? =/
DoomerX
post Feb 28 2015, 10:59 AM

Getting Started
95 posts

Hi guys, I would like to ask after i got the notification letter and card registration completed, does it mean i can stay in Singapore without deducting my days limit for social visit? This is because they told me that it takes 4-5 working days until the card will be delivered to me. Thank you.

This post has been edited by DoomerX: Feb 28 2015, 11:00 AM
IwanAGP
post Feb 28 2015, 05:14 PM

Nothing is Possible!
9,590 posts

QUOTE(KiNo123 @ Feb 28 2015, 09:17 AM)
My situation:

i consulted HR and she didn giv clear answer but just 'hope' i can get medical report nxt week, and she told me i cant get extension if i hit the 60 days limit.

I thought your IPA already grant you the right to stay in SG? Try read through your IPA again. I can't remember d. IINM I only get my card registered after or slightly before my white card expires. I didn't go out of SG so never renew during that period. That happened thanks to my medical report that came late to the office. doh.gif

Just checked my IPA... It says... "When you get here, you can start work as a ... while your new employer asks MOM for your Employment Pass to be issued. During this time, you must also have valid stay in Singapore."

I'm not sure what that means though.

KiNo123
post Feb 28 2015, 05:31 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

QUOTE(IwanAGP @ Feb 28 2015, 05:14 PM)
I thought your IPA already grant you the right to stay in SG? Try read through your IPA again. I can't remember d. IINM I only get my card registered after or slightly before my white card expires. I didn't go out of SG so never renew during that period. That happened thanks to my medical report that came late to the office. doh.gif
Just checked my IPA... It says... "When you get here, you can start work as a ... while your new employer asks MOM for your Employment Pass to be issued. During this time, you must also have valid stay in Singapore."

I'm not sure what that means though.
no my IPA says nothing about it, and to be worse, at the bottom of the letter it says " this IPA does not grant your stay in the Singapore, once arrival u need to get ur employer to get ur pass ASAP bla bla bla..."
silverviolet
post Mar 1 2015, 12:28 AM

Getting Started
181 posts

Hi all sifus,

If i have 1.5yrs experience in Accounting MNC, any idea what salary to expect?

Do you advice applying through job recruiters or direct to the company?

madspeed02
post Mar 1 2015, 11:43 PM

Enthusiast
1,170 posts

guys, any cheapest room rental near jurong east or jurong there?
crazy25kid
post Mar 2 2015, 09:36 AM

Jack of all trades, master of none...in short, a NUB !!
1,424 posts

QUOTE(KiNo123 @ Feb 28 2015, 09:17 AM)
My situation:

my advise would be to call up ICA
they will be able to gif u the exact reply.
unless anyone of us here faced the exact same situation as u did, we can only speculate.

almeizer
post Mar 2 2015, 10:58 AM

Enthusiast
940 posts

QUOTE(KiNo123 @ Feb 28 2015, 05:31 PM)
no my IPA says nothing about it, and to be worse, at the bottom of the letter it says " this IPA does not grant your stay in the Singapore, once arrival u need to get ur employer to get ur pass ASAP bla bla bla..."
That sentence means the IPA is not an permanent pass for you to work in SG, you need to get the actual pass which is after medical report submitted. It does not mean you can't stay in SG with the IPA. You can still stay and work in SG, if police officer stopped you, you can just show the IPA without the need to show white card. Does the IPA state what is the validity?

4 years back after I got my IPA, I went back to Malaysia and custom officer took back the white card. Then when I re-enter SG, I only show the IPA and the officer let me pass (with valid passport of course). Well, it was 4 years ago, I'm not sure whether it's still work. It would be better you call to ICA to clarify. You may try to go JB and let the officer take your white card and re-enter SG shortly after with the IPA.

This post has been edited by almeizer: Mar 2 2015, 11:00 AM
avengers88
post Mar 2 2015, 12:28 PM

Whatever man
1,615 posts

QUOTE(KiNo123 @ Feb 28 2015, 05:31 PM)
Bro, If i am not mistaken, ur IPA should be valid for at least 6 months? That was stated in my IPA, but of course it asked you to get the physical card as soon as u start working. In any case, I suggest you to call ICA and ask whether you can use your IPA when exiting and re-entering Singapore since you have not gotten your physical card yet. It should not take long though, once you go to MOM to take your photo, it's like 4 working days you can get it already. Get it done, it's important to open bank account and subscribe whatever services you want.
avengers88
post Mar 2 2015, 12:30 PM

Whatever man
1,615 posts

Guys, any nice coach / bus that is comfortable to and fro singapore and KL ? I am looking to buy for next month and aeroline/first coach has not open for booking yet? Normally how long only can buy for next month ? in 2 weeks time ?
JohnJon82
post Mar 2 2015, 03:31 PM

Enthusiast
716 posts

Hi Tax Pros,

I will be going back to Malaysia for long term this year. I will be maintaing my PR and a residential address. I will have a full time job in MY, hence, MY income tax and epf (first timer) and a part time job in SG, hence also SG income tax and cpf contribution in SG. Go back SG during the weekends.

So I will be paying income tax for both side? MY income = MY income tax, SG income = SG income tax? This assumption correct? Any complications? Thanks.
ThanatosSwiftfire
post Mar 2 2015, 03:59 PM

Irregular
2,787 posts

Are they separate jobs? If yes then yup. Only taxed on ur respective country's income. But u may have a tax residency issue with ur sg income tht may mean the max tax rate of 20/22pc instead of the scaled rate.
pakabluegun
post Mar 2 2015, 07:58 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

Hi guys, i need some advice

I am currently stucked in Malaysia for few months and i overspend on CNY -.- Now i need to transfer few thousands from my DBS account Malaysia. I have cheque, debit card and credit card from DBS. In Malaysia i have active Maybank and public bank account.

Which one is the cheaper method?
1) Open a cheque from DBS and bank in to Maybank account
2) Max out my Malaysia spending on my Maybank card and do payment via DBS TT payment
3) Just use DBS credit card in Malaysia and pay via DBS account

Anyone with better idea?

JohnJon82
post Mar 2 2015, 09:15 PM

Enthusiast
716 posts

QUOTE(ThanatosSwiftfire @ Mar 2 2015, 03:59 PM)
Are they separate jobs? If yes then yup. Only taxed on ur respective country's income. But u may have a tax residency issue with ur sg income tht may mean the max tax rate of 20/22pc instead of the scaled rate.
Separate jobs from 2 different companies. I thought the 20 or 22 % is for foreigners only? PR are always tax residents?
ThanatosSwiftfire
post Mar 2 2015, 09:46 PM

Irregular
2,787 posts

QUOTE(JohnJon82 @ Mar 2 2015, 09:15 PM)
Separate jobs from 2 different companies. I thought the 20 or 22 % is for foreigners only? PR are always tax residents?
Nope. tax residency is separate from your citizenship/PR. A tax resident is generally someone who resides >183 days in a country (at least in the laws of Msia and Singapore (iinm))

Generally, the resident status of an individual is determined by the number of days he is physically present or exercises employment in Singapore. The individual will be regarded as a tax resident if he is in Singapore for 183 days or more in a calendar year. The calendar year refers to the period from 1st Jan to 31st Dec of the preceding year.
"

SO if ur less than 183 days in singapore, u'll be a non resident.

NON-RESIDENT (LESS THAN 183 DAYS)
If you are a non resident:

You will only be taxed on all income earned in Singapore.
You will not be entitled to tax reliefs.
Your employment income will be taxed at a flat rate of 15% or the progressive resident rates, whichever gives rise to a higher tax amount.
Director's fee will be taxed at the prevailing rate of 20%.
You are required to fill in Form M (Income Tax Return for Non-Resident)
TSdeodorant
post Mar 2 2015, 09:49 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

QUOTE(JohnJon82 @ Mar 2 2015, 09:15 PM)

IIRC non tax resident is flat 15% tax rate or the progressive tax rate (whichever is higher)
twotwopig
post Mar 2 2015, 11:22 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

Just have a look at this link below, explained the tax residency bit. And from there, to me, it seems that as long as you a hold a PR you are considered tax resident.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.asp...or_non-resident

This post has been edited by twotwopig: Mar 2 2015, 11:23 PM
LiangZhuge
post Mar 3 2015, 12:30 AM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(twotwopig @ Mar 2 2015, 11:22 PM)
Just have a look at this link below, explained the tax residency bit. And from there, to me, it seems that as long as you a hold a PR you are considered tax resident.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.asp...or_non-resident
Looks like it, but better confirm with IRAS smile.gif

Time to get PR and ask to work from home, stay in MY, get paid in SGD rclxms.gif
almeizer
post Mar 3 2015, 11:13 AM

Enthusiast
940 posts

QUOTE(avengers88 @ Mar 2 2015, 12:30 PM)
Guys, any nice coach / bus that is comfortable to and fro singapore and KL ? I am looking to buy for next month and aeroline/first coach has not open for booking yet? Normally how long only can buy for next month ? in 2 weeks time ?
You can try Transtar. The more expensive bus provide meal on board.
JohnJon82
post Mar 3 2015, 01:12 PM

Enthusiast
716 posts

QUOTE(ThanatosSwiftfire @ Mar 2 2015, 09:46 PM)
Nope. tax residency is separate from your citizenship/PR. A tax resident is generally someone who resides >183 days in a country (at least in the laws of Msia and Singapore (iinm))

Generally, the resident status of an individual is determined by the number of days he is physically present or exercises employment in Singapore. The individual will be regarded as a tax resident if he is in Singapore for 183 days or more in a calendar year. The calendar year refers to the period from 1st Jan to 31st Dec of the preceding year.
O different one, I thought same.

Say, the SG company outsources its work to me in Malaysia, in full time basis, and the working hours is night shift.

How they tax those who got posted overseas for a very long period, say 5 years, but still under employment of SG registered company?

QUOTE(deodorant @ Mar 2 2015, 09:49 PM)
IIRC non tax resident is flat 15% tax rate or the progressive tax rate (whichever is higher)
O its 15%, can save 5%.

196 Pages « < 42 43 44 45 46 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0280sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:01 PM