Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> AVR, Surge Protectors etc., Needed or gimmick??

views

TSvoncrane
post Dec 4 2014, 09:12 PM, updated 5y ago

Noir et fier!
Group: Senior Member

Hi All,

Staying in a condo with reasonably stable electricity, though sometimes switching on the aircon has a "glitch"? No issues per say about fried electronics. Anyway, want to safeguard TV, UnifI, media box, HT, etc just in case. So is getting a standalone UPS or AVR or Surge Protector or a combo of all, worth it or not? To protect against power surges, fluctuations, random cut, lightning, etc. If so, please recommend me trusted/proven products. Budget around RM350. Need at least 8 sockets (split or on one strip). Also safe to plug all to one socket or simply split and connect from 2 separate wall sockets?
P.S. Read high and low with mixed reports.
Thanks.

This post has been edited by voncrane: Dec 4 2014, 09:13 PM
komag
post Dec 4 2014, 09:36 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 4 2014, 09:12 PM)
Hi All,

Staying in a condo with reasonably stable electricity, though sometimes switching on the aircon has a "glitch"? No issues per say about fried electronics. Anyway, want to safeguard TV, UnifI, media box, HT, etc just in case. So is getting a standalone UPS or AVR or Surge Protector or a combo of all, worth it or not? To protect against power surges, fluctuations, random cut, lightning, etc. If so, please recommend me trusted/proven products. Budget around RM350. Need at least 8 sockets (split or on one strip). Also safe to plug all to one socket or simply split and connect from 2 separate wall sockets?
P.S. Read high and low with mixed reports.
Thanks.
http://www.cal-lab.com/

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=272679&hl=

TSvoncrane
post Dec 6 2014, 01:26 AM

Noir et fier!

Thanks for the links. Been checking up on Cal-Lab products. will contact the ts.
sonerin
post Dec 6 2014, 06:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Belkin
TSvoncrane
post Dec 6 2014, 07:48 AM

Noir et fier!

QUOTE(sonerin @ Dec 6 2014, 06:41 AM)
Belkin
They were my first choice until reading certain reports that some of their products, if not all, are simply expensive regular power strips and warranty claim for devices destroyed by surges while still connected to their protectors, is a pain & very likely, they'll turn down the claim. So I'm a bit wary. May I know why you recommend Belkin products, personal experience?
ktek
post Dec 6 2014, 12:34 PM

wings wings

im using bada lb3300 (china mari) power conditioner. it is unswitched type and reasonable good built quality.

no more "glitch" happen to my tv when air cond compressor kick in
sonerin
post Dec 7 2014, 01:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 6 2014, 07:48 AM)
They were my first choice until reading certain reports that someĀ  of their products, if not all, are simply expensive regular power strips and warranty claim for devices destroyed by surges while still connected to their protectors, is a pain & very likely, they'll turn down the claim. So I'm a bit wary. May I know why you recommend Belkin products, personal experience?
Had few Belkin surge protector at home using for 4 years. It is good so far

This post has been edited by sonerin: Dec 8 2014, 09:45 AM
jimmyteng18
post Dec 7 2014, 08:29 PM

On my way

Bro voncrane,

I suggest you look at Bada LB3300 which was recommended by bro ktek.
I few of my frens using it as power filter and controlled supply.
TSvoncrane
post Dec 8 2014, 09:36 AM

Noir et fier!

Thanks all, for the suggestions. Checking em out.
westom
post Dec 9 2014, 01:00 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 4 2014, 05:12 PM)
So is getting a standalone UPS or AVR or Surge Protector or a combo of all, worth it or not? To protect against power surges, fluctuations, random cut, lightning, etc.

Where was one post that first defines a threat?

Where was one recommendation that cites even one fact or spec number that justified that recommendation?

Without answers to both, a recommendation is hearsay. Likely urban myth. And often someone only educated by advertising.

For example, that Belkin. It was recommended only because someone has one. And due to more robust protection inside electrionics. he had no failures.

View Belkin's spec numbers. How many joules does it claim to absorb? Hundreds? A thousand? Destructive surge can be hundreds of thousands of joules. Since they ignored all numbers, then a near zero protector was called 100% protection. Such mistakes are routine when one ignores spec numbers.

We did this stuff. Actually traced a surge that hunted for earth ground destructively via an adjacent protector. That protector gave a surge a paht to earth that 1) bypassed protection in the computer's PSU. And 2) obtained earth ground by outgoing via the network cable. Note what any recommendation also discusses. To be damaged means a surge must have one incoming path. And another outgoing path. That current flows simultaneously. Often damage is on the outgoing path.

Many will assume a surge was incoming on the network cable, did damage, and stopped. Electricity does not work that way. But it does not matter when observation results in conclusions. Then just knew by not first learning how surges do damage and what a protector must do.

The Belkin is electrically equivalent to that protector that compromised protection inside the adjacent computer.

Many other potential anomalies exist. Each one requires separate consideration. Nothing protects from all anomalies - despite so many who recommend a magic box to cure all.

Only surge protection found in every building that cannot have damage is located when wires enter the building. With a low impedance (ie 'less than 3 meter') connection to single point earth ground. Then no one need unplug or power off when storms approach. But this solution is proven by sceicne and over 100 years of experience; not in advertising and hearsay. Most do not even know of what is THE most important compnent in any protection system: single point earth ground. Because, and again, protection is always about - numbers - where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. A number that only the fewer and informed will discuss.

First, which electrical anomaly concerns you. Each must be discussed separately - with numbers. Especially since most are solved by completely different solutions.

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0831sec    2.85    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 09:00 PM