Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Computer engineering, more on computer engineering

views

kkv2k
post Sep 21 2006, 04:33 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

i'm interested in the computer engineering course..... doin my stpm this year... was considering alot of engineering courses available...
should i do it privately or through local government funded uni's ?
ahtiven
post Sep 21 2006, 04:48 PM

1,181 posts

QUOTE(abc2005 @ Sep 15 2006, 11:05 PM)
here is the website for computer engineering course in utar, whuch contains the syllabus for the whole course. I hope it can give a better idea what are you going to study by taking it.
http://www.utar.edu.my/v2/portal/pdf/courses/CT.pdf
i have just finished my y2s1 in computer engineering at utar. i can confirm that the course structure and syllabus pasted by forumer abc2005 in pdf format is 100% accurate.

QUOTE(nyprinz83 @ Sep 15 2006, 06:13 PM)
In addition, computer engineering and electrical engineering also overlap in areas such as digital systems. Also you might be exposed to some concepts/knowledge  of telecommunication systems which might involve advanced math calculations like fourier series/transforms. Hope that didnt scare you  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
yup, basic digital systems knowledge such as verilog codes and assembly codes.
there are also analog systems such as circuit theory and electric devices.
you cant hide from maths lol besides fourier series/transforms, there are laplace series/transform and Z transform.

leekk8
post Sep 22 2006, 11:08 AM

Regular
1,059 posts

QUOTE(kkv2k @ Sep 21 2006, 04:33 PM)
i'm interested in the computer engineering course..... doin my stpm this year... was considering alot of engineering courses available...
should i do it privately or through local government funded uni's ?
Since you're in STPM now, you should plan for it. What you expect to study in computer engineering course?

Between private and government, if you have money, sure you can go for private, if not, then government is your only choice. I'm graduate of government uni. Since you're in STPM, the duration of course is same even you go for private or government.

For government uni, I think there're only few uni offer this course. UPM and UKM offer Computer and Communication Engineering, UTM and UMS offer Computer Engineering and UNIMAS offer Electronic and Computer Engineering. I'm not sure about UM now, 5 years ago, they didn't offer.
kkv2k
post Sep 22 2006, 01:52 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

will my degree from a private UNI such as MMU be better than a degree from a local uni lets say UKM ?
leekk8
post Sep 22 2006, 03:05 PM

Regular
1,059 posts

QUOTE(kkv2k @ Sep 22 2006, 01:52 PM)
will my degree from a private UNI such as MMU be better than a degree from a local uni lets say UKM ?
I don't think there's difference on the degree...
The difference maybe is, you no need go for STPM if you study in MMU, but you have to spend 2 years for STPM if you want to study in local uni...
harrychoo
post Sep 22 2006, 03:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,589 posts

TARC also have computer engineering but it called microelectronics instead
leekk8
post Sep 22 2006, 03:16 PM

Regular
1,059 posts

The course nama actually is different from uni to uni. The important thing is the content and syllabus of the course.

Ash
post Sep 22 2006, 03:27 PM

Legend
1,696 posts

I'm planning to do either Computer Science or Electronics & Computer systems engineering in Monash .... does anyone know if the elec & compu sys engineering is the "computer engineering" we're talking about?

I'm really confused here... I'm more into hardware than software.... they have given me 3 options.. which are computer science, elec & computer system engineering and software engineering...
leekk8
post Sep 22 2006, 04:12 PM

Regular
1,059 posts

QUOTE(Ash @ Sep 22 2006, 03:27 PM)
I'm planning to do either Computer Science or Electronics & Computer systems engineering in Monash .... does anyone know if the elec & compu sys engineering is the "computer engineering" we're talking about?

I'm really confused here... I'm more into hardware than software.... they have given me 3 options.. which are computer science, elec & computer system engineering and software engineering...
I'm not sure about Monash. I'm graduate of elec and computer engineering. This course is more to electronic, I can say. The syllabus include digital, analog, basic programming, microelectronic, VLSI, signal processing, data communication, telecommunication, control system, microprocessor, microcontroller, embedded system design and so forth. Computer engineering actually studying about the microprocessor thing, and circuit of IC or PCB board...for my case, I study image processing and neural network as well.

Computer Science and software engineering is dealing with software and programming, nothing about hardware.

This post has been edited by leekk8: Sep 22 2006, 04:13 PM
kennytsh
post Sep 23 2006, 12:19 AM

Getting Started
250 posts

hmm i left 6 more months till i graduate but just diploma....
im still searching around for some local pri U...
budget around 50k... any recommendation???
more prefer hardware part....
leekk8
post Sep 25 2006, 12:08 PM

Regular
1,059 posts

QUOTE(kennytsh @ Sep 23 2006, 12:19 AM)
more prefer  hardware part....
If you're studying computer engineering diploma, maybe you can try MMU...There's computer engineering degree course, I think the fee is around 50k for whole course...I think MMU is quite good among private uni in M'sia.
mcloh
post Sep 25 2006, 11:46 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

QUOTE(kennytsh @ Sep 23 2006, 12:19 AM)
more prefer  hardware part....
You may try the site below, see if you can find what you're looking for.

http://www.coursecentre.com/courses.jsp
kennytsh
post Sep 26 2006, 12:30 AM

Getting Started
250 posts

thx alot mcloh.... and nice link ^^....
ok i search around but still cant find the syllabus ... i think i have to go down kl next week to get more detail about this....

MMU
Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) Electronics majoring in Computer K 0050 / KR 5197

majoring in computer means more into programming right???

leekk8
post Sep 26 2006, 12:18 PM

Regular
1,059 posts

QUOTE(kennytsh @ Sep 26 2006, 12:30 AM)
thx alot mcloh....  and nice link ^^....
ok i search around but still cant find the syllabus ... i think i have to go down kl next week to get more detail about this....

MMU
Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) Electronics majoring in Computer K 0050 / KR 5197

majoring in computer means more into programming right???
Yes, you should find out the syllabus.
Electronic Engineering majoring in Computer, I don't think it's more into programming. It's more into electronic. Should be majoring in computer architecture, such as microprocessor, VLSI and so forth...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:46 AM