Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis Archer c7 Tp link on maxis fiber, configuration

views

mztang52
post Aug 17 2016, 03:58 PM

Before you quit, TRY
2,807 posts

QUOTE(aurfei @ Aug 17 2016, 04:39 PM)
I think I kinda understand what you are doing, as I was thinking to do something similar as well.

Original idea: Connect the TM ONU to my Archer C7 as the main router for WiFi/internet access. Then bridge from Archer C7 to Maxis Thomson to use the Maxis VoIP... no success so far.

Alternative: Connect the TM ONU to Maxis Thomson as the main wired router for internet access as well as VoIP. Connect Maxis Thomson to Archer C7 and use the Archer C7 as an AP for WiFi.

Will try it out to see.... fingers crossed.
Remember to tell me does my setup works.

This post has been edited by mztang52: Aug 17 2016, 03:59 PM
Xefron
post Aug 17 2016, 04:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,507 posts

QUOTE(mztang52 @ Aug 17 2016, 03:58 PM)
there's no way u can ditch that Thompson if u want to use Maxis VOIP except if u change the ONU/BTU setting.
mztang52
post Aug 17 2016, 04:20 PM

Before you quit, TRY
2,807 posts

QUOTE(Xefron @ Aug 17 2016, 05:03 PM)
there's no way u can ditch that Thompson if u want to use Maxis VOIP except if u change the ONU/BTU setting.
Sdaly there's no way that we can modify the Alcatel ONU.

This post has been edited by mztang52: Aug 17 2016, 04:20 PM
Xefron
post Aug 17 2016, 04:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,507 posts

QUOTE(mztang52 @ Aug 17 2016, 04:20 PM)
Sdaly there's no way that we can modify the Alcatel ONU.
basically can....

-need to know the ONU IP
-login / password to control panel
-Maxis SIP details.
-know how to do VLAN tagging.

u good to go.
mztang52
post Aug 17 2016, 04:29 PM

Before you quit, TRY
2,807 posts

QUOTE(Xefron @ Aug 17 2016, 05:25 PM)
basically can....

-need to know the ONU IP
-login / password to control panel
-Maxis SIP details.
-know how to do VLAN tagging.

u good to go.
But I dont know the ONU IP and login accpunt detials.
aurfei
post Aug 22 2016, 12:29 AM

12 posts

QUOTE(mztang52 @ Aug 17 2016, 03:58 PM)
Well, tested and it works... VoIP works, internet works!!

So my setup is as below:
- Maxis Thomson remains as my main wired router for internet access as well as the VoIP dialer. Disable the WiFi of Thomson router.
- Convert the Archer C7 to a wireless AP (by setting its IP to be the same segment as Thomson, and disabling DHCP)
- Connect ethernet cable from Maxis Thomson LAN port to Archer C7 LAN port

However, I can't help but to feel that internet download/browsing speed seems to have suffered with this additional hop of an AP, but running a Speedtest when connected to the Archer C7 wireless AP and directly to the Maxis Thomson router seems to produce consistent results either way. So, I'm giving it a benefit of a doubt (maybe too many users are streaming Rio Olympics) and gonna continue monitoring the performance.

This post has been edited by aurfei: Aug 22 2016, 12:31 AM
mztang52
post Aug 22 2016, 01:56 PM

Before you quit, TRY
2,807 posts

QUOTE(aurfei @ Aug 22 2016, 01:29 AM)
Well, tested and it works... VoIP works, internet works!!

So my setup is as below:
- Maxis Thomson remains as my main wired router for internet access as well as the VoIP dialer. Disable the WiFi of Thomson router.
- Convert the Archer C7 to a wireless AP (by setting its IP to be the same segment as Thomson, and disabling DHCP)
- Connect ethernet cable from Maxis Thomson LAN port to Archer C7 LAN port

However, I can't help but to feel that internet download/browsing speed seems to have suffered with this additional hop of an AP, but running a Speedtest when connected to the Archer C7 wireless AP and directly to the Maxis Thomson router seems to produce consistent results either way. So, I'm giving it a benefit of a doubt (maybe too many users are streaming Rio Olympics) and gonna continue monitoring the performance.
All right.
WLFung
post Aug 24 2016, 02:12 AM

Getting Started
137 posts

QUOTE(aurfei @ Aug 16 2016, 12:06 PM)
Great details for the recommendation! I was trying your method without actually flashing my Archer C7 firmware as I'm already on 3.14.3 Build 150520 Rel.53345n. However, can you just please help to answer some really noob questions for me?
- I suppose both the Archer C7 and the Maxis Thomson Router has to be on the same subnet, say 192.168.1.x for this to work?
- My Maxis Thomson Router also doesn't have the BRIDGE HSI(GPON) + VoIP service, it has HOME HSI(GPON) + VoIP and HSI(GPON) + VoIP, which one should I use?
Maxis had done the dirty tricks.

They removed the "BRIDGE HSI(GPON) + VoIP" setup option in order to take control (or perhaps may monitor?) your connection to internet by go through their censored DNS server.

I just realized that they can modify the Setup Templates to remove this "Option" whereby it was online when you configure it.

They did a dirty trick by breaking your VoIP connection, then at the time you inspect the connection by test out to re-setup the Thomson Router configuration then you dropped into their trap.
Permanently removed "BRIDGE HSI(GPON) + VoIP" setup. And it should be said that they had restricted their user to use the BRIDGE Mode for those subscribers.

I still figure out how to configure the settings by editing the user.ini configuration file that exported from Thomson Router.
But by my knowldedge on .ini configuration and limited source from Thomson, it is quite a tough job for me for understanding unfortunately. And not much time to learn for.
But I think to edit the Configuration File then stored back to the Thomson router, it could go for BRIDGE Mode I think.
(*Maybe someday)

Currently the best way to get VoIP connected whereby abandoned Maxis Thomson Router is to modify the Huawei HG850a BTU. Unfortunately mine is the old Alcatel I240-P BTU.
I have got a piece Huawei HG850a BTU but I didn't have the GPON settings on this BTU, so I can't get it on Maxis Fibre. I have seek those who really willing to share their GPON setting file for me, but sadly no one is helping.
Perhaps they worried someone to intrude their Ethernet.
Finally I can't have my Huawei HG850A BTU works on the GPON.

For your question, since the current Archer C7 firmware does really supports Maxis Fibre, it is best to stick on the stock firmware than OpenWRT or DD-WRT because of its AC1750 WiFi.
OpenWRT/DD-WRT will make you loss the AC1750 WiFi function as Atheos AC1750 driver is not open for public.
(Of course you would have a better control & management on your Ethernet by OpenWRT/DD-WRT)

The 2nd question about the subnet.
You can configure Maxis Thomson and Archer C7 in the same subnet, but need to know which is the Host to connect the Internet (Dialer).
Currently you can only manage Maxis Thomson to connect to internet in order to have their VoIP supports at the same time, and Archer C7 to be your sub-Ethernet device from Maxis Thomson.

Of course by this setup, your Archer C7 WAN port connected to Maxis Thomson LAN port.
Setting up the Archer C7 "WAN" setting to "Dynamic" or "Static" (<- "Static" to fix IP as a connected device for Maxis Thomson under same Thomson subnet).

Then Archer C7 "LAN" change to different subnet at this point, this subnet managed to be Ethernet within your devices connected to the Archer C7 but not Maxis Thomson
Else if you are using same subnet under Maxis Thomson 192.168.1.x, which Maxis Thomson using 192.168.1.254 as a Gateway, even you connect your devices to Archer C7, those devices will stick on Archer C7 192.168.1.1 as a Gateway, your devices will not get the Internet connection since 192.168.1.1 is not the device to have the internet. Unless every device you need to configure their Gateway to 192.168.1.254.

If you change the Archer C7 "LAN" setting to different subnet, said 192.168.0.1, then all the devices connected to Archer C7 will be within 192.168.0.x subnet where Archer C7 (WAN) host the internet from Maxis Thomson 192.168.1.254 (LAN), those devices connected to Archer C7 will not need to change their Gateway for that extra jobs, it automatically sticks on 192.168.0.1.

Lastly, I have bought a Linksys PAP2T-NA VoIP Adapter which not expensive, I am going to make it works as a VoIP device by connecting Archer C7, but currently I don't have the time to test it out. Maybe Sunday.

Else if someone really willing to share their Huawei HG850A Configuration file which I am really thankful for that notworthy.gif, then I will no longer need the VoIP Adapter, only connecting VoIP by HG850A. nod.gif

My aim is to totally eliminate the Maxis Thomson Craps. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by WLFung: Aug 24 2016, 02:24 AM
aurfei
post Aug 24 2016, 12:04 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(WLFung @ Aug 24 2016, 02:12 AM)

They removed the "BRIDGE HSI(GPON) + VoIP" setup option in order to take control (or perhaps may monitor?) your connection to internet by go through their censored DNS server.

I just realized that they can modify the Setup Templates to remove this "Option" whereby it was online when you configure it.

They did a dirty trick by breaking your VoIP connection, then at the time you inspect the connection by test out to re-setup the Thomson Router configuration then you dropped into their trap.
Permanently removed "BRIDGE HSI(GPON) + VoIP" setup. And it should be said that they had restricted their user to use the BRIDGE Mode for those subscribers.

I still figure out how to configure the settings by editing the user.ini configuration file that exported from Thomson Router.
But by my knowldedge on .ini configuration and limited source from Thomson, it is quite a tough job for me for understanding unfortunately. And not much time to learn for.
But I think to edit the Configuration File then stored back to the Thomson router, it could go for BRIDGE Mode I think.
(*Maybe someday)

Currently the best way to get VoIP connected whereby abandoned Maxis Thomson Router is to modify the Huawei HG850a BTU. Unfortunately mine is the old Alcatel I240-P BTU.
I have got a piece Huawei HG850a BTU but I didn't have the GPON settings on this BTU, so I can't get it on Maxis Fibre. I have seek those who really willing to share their GPON setting file for me, but sadly no one is helping.

For your question, since the current Archer C7 firmware does really supports Maxis Fibre, it is best to stick on the stock firmware than OpenWRT or DD-WRT because of its AC1750 WiFi.
OpenWRT/DD-WRT will make you loss the AC1750 WiFi function as Atheos AC1750 driver is not open for public.
(Of course you would have a better control & management on your Ethernet by OpenWRT/DD-WRT)

You can configure Maxis Thomson and Archer C7 in the same subnet, but need to know which is the Host to connect the Internet (Dialer).
Currently you can only manage Maxis Thomson to connect to internet in order to have their VoIP supports at the same time, and Archer C7 to be your sub-Ethernet device from Maxis Thomson.

Of course by this setup, your Archer C7 WAN port connected to Maxis Thomson LAN port.
Setting up the Archer C7 "WAN" setting to "Dynamic" or "Static" (<- "Static" to fix IP as a connected device for Maxis Thomson under same Thomson subnet).

Then Archer C7 "LAN" change to different subnet at this point, this subnet managed to be Ethernet within your devices connected to the Archer C7 but not Maxis Thomson
Else if you are using same subnet under Maxis Thomson 192.168.1.x, which Maxis Thomson using 192.168.1.254 as a Gateway, even you connect your devices to Archer C7, those devices will stick on Archer C7 192.168.1.1 as a Gateway, your devices will not get the Internet connection since 192.168.1.1 is not the device to have the internet. Unless every device you need to configure their Gateway to 192.168.1.254.

If you change the Archer C7 "LAN" setting to different subnet, said 192.168.0.1, then all the devices connected to Archer C7 will be within 192.168.0.x subnet where Archer C7 (WAN) host the internet from Maxis Thomson 192.168.1.254 (LAN), those devices connected to Archer C7 will not need to change their Gateway for that extra jobs, it automatically sticks on 192.168.0.1.
Lastly, I have bought a Linksys PAP2T-NA VoIP Adapter which not expensive, I am going to make it works as a VoIP device by connecting Archer C7, but currently I don't have the time to test it out. Maybe Sunday.

Else if someone really willing to share their Huawei HG850A Configuration file which I am really thankful for that notworthy.gif, then I will no longer need the VoIP Adapter, only connecting VoIP by HG850A.  nod.gif

My aim is to totally eliminate the Maxis Thomson Craps.  thumbup.gif
Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I have got it working by retaining the Maxis Thomson as my wired router and VoIP dialer, while connecting the Archer C7 as a wireless AP on the same subnet as Maxis Thomson.

How much is the Linksys PAP2T-NA VoIP Adapter?
WLFung
post Aug 28 2016, 03:47 PM

Getting Started
137 posts

QUOTE(aurfei @ Aug 24 2016, 12:04 PM)
Wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I have got it working by retaining the Maxis Thomson as my wired router and VoIP dialer, while connecting the Archer C7 as a wireless AP on the same subnet as Maxis Thomson.

How much is the Linksys PAP2T-NA VoIP Adapter?
L*z*d selling @ RM75, but after you get the coupon discount, it was much cheaper.
I got mine RM6x.

Another thing is, by Bridging Archer C7 to Maxis Thomson, do you feel that FB Video/Comments are hard to be retrieved?
I feel that FB Video/Comments lag to be loaded by Maxis Thomson connecting Internet, but if Archer C7 to be the host connecting Internet, lagging would not happen.
(*FB page surf by MS Edge Browser)

This post has been edited by WLFung: Aug 28 2016, 03:57 PM
aurfei
post Aug 29 2016, 02:05 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(WLFung @ Aug 28 2016, 03:47 PM)
L*z*d selling @ RM75, but after you get the coupon discount, it was much cheaper.
I got mine RM6x.
Another thing is, by Bridging Archer C7 to Maxis Thomson, do you feel that FB Video/Comments are hard to be retrieved?
I feel that FB Video/Comments lag to be loaded by Maxis Thomson connecting Internet, but if Archer C7 to be the host connecting Internet, lagging would not happen.
(*FB page surf by MS Edge Browser)
Have you managed to get your Linksys PAP2T-NA VoIP Adapter working with Maxis VoIP?

Not specifically on FB Video/Comments, but I do feel with my current setup there is some lag on certain video streaming sites (using Firefox browser). However, my other home user who is heavy on YouTube (iPad) doesn't seem to have any complaints.
silverhawk
post Aug 11 2017, 09:17 PM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
4,738 posts

QUOTE(WLFung @ Aug 24 2016, 02:12 AM)

(*Maybe someday)

Else if someone really willing to share their Huawei HG850A Configuration file which I am really thankful for that notworthy.gif, then I will no longer need the VoIP Adapter, only connecting VoIP by HG850A.  nod.gif

My aim is to totally eliminate the Maxis Thomson Craps.  thumbup.gif
Any luck with the linksys VoIP adapter?
Johannlo
post Jul 19 2018, 12:17 AM

Kuli
356 posts

QUOTE(silverhawk @ Aug 11 2017, 09:17 PM)
Any luck with the linksys VoIP adapter?
Same here. Any luck with the voip adapter?

4 Pages « < 2 3 4Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0161sec    0.38    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:46 PM