Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home Theatre Need help on reusing Pioneer HT Speakers., Main unit is unavailable.

views

lex
post Oct 19 2014, 11:46 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 18 2014, 11:09 AM)
Hi all, Need some help on how to reuse my pioneer 5.1ch speakers. During a move about a year ago, it got misplaced and i simply kept the speakers and forgot about them. Recently, i'm willing to spend a bit to get surround sound, tired of low quality sounds from Tv speakers. I still have the speaker wires and believe they still work, else can always buy new ones. Budget around RM700. Any options or should I do away with them and just buy a new blue-ray HT with possibly newer features?
Exactly how many speakers are there? Are they all 5 satellites (front left, front right, center, rear/surround left and rear/surround right) plus the subwoofer? Is the subwoofer passive (requires an external amplifier) or active (has its own built-in power amplifier)? unsure.gif

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 19 2014, 11:09 PM)
How about this... Pioneer VSX-822-K or Pioneer VSX-824? Basically, i need a device that accepts multiple hdmi sources & outputs flawless video to the TV, while 5.1 sound is produced by the speakers. Any reasonably priced places in KL/Selangor where I can take the speakers to & test? Thanks in advance.
Rather than eBay (for used/secondhand items), you can also try looking around the garage sales section in this forum as well as other sites like Mudah.my. And from your requirements, usually and AV receiver would fit that description. As for places where you can bring your speakers to test, then I would have to say dedicated HiFi shops and showrooms... sweat.gif
lex
post Oct 20 2014, 12:58 AM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 20 2014, 12:18 AM)
There are 5 speakers and 1 sub-woofer in total (Front-L, Front-R, Surround-L, Surround-R, Center, and the Sub-woofer). I'm unsure as to if the sub-woofer is passive or active, maybe the attached images will help. Thanks for the hint about garage sales section and mudah. I did check mudah but only found 2 second-hand receivers from like 10 years ago with no hdmi support for around RM800 shocking.gif , clearly not interested in them, hence seeking newer or better models.
AV receivers with HDMI inputs are relatively new thus harder to find as second hand items here. From those images, the subwoofer is passive type unfortunately. That means besides the AV receiver (with HDMI inputs), you will need an integrated (high powered) amplifier to drive that subwoofer or make a DIY internal power amplifier for the subwoofer (e.g. using car audio amplifiers)... hmm.gif

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 20 2014, 12:30 AM)
Hmmm... I now see what u both mean & will take that into consideration, does seem a bit messy though, splitting one HDMI output into 3 separate RCA Inputs. Sound degradation?
Most home theater speakers are usually of inadequate sound quality (with the exception of a few), thus sound degradation is less considered at all. There are HDMI audio extractors and converters around. Most of them converts to analogue stereo only, and if you want to use surround sound then have to use a digital surround decoder with SPDIF input (as most of them have SPDIF outputs). There are also HDMI audio extractors that do convert to surround sound outputs though, but not easy to find or buy. For example: Gefen, LLC - HDMI to HDMI Plus Audio Converter. However that does not include the amplifiers required to drive the speakers... wink.gif

This post has been edited by lex: Oct 20 2014, 12:59 AM
lex
post Oct 20 2014, 05:15 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(voncrane @ Oct 20 2014, 01:24 AM)
Thanks for both inputs, its all quite a hassle especially for sub-par sound. So I think i'll just dispose of the speakers somehow and just get a new mid-range HT.
Looking at the images of those thin and slender satellites, reminds a lot of those soundbars. Generally they sound anywhere from average to below average, and generally not suited to music. There are some exceptions such as Wharfedale DX-1 HCP though these are more expensive and does not come integrated with HDMI inputs and surround decoders. You could sell those (passive) speakers off though... hmm.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.30    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:49 PM