Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Movies JOHN WICK: Movies Discussion Thread, Sequel CONFIRMED! Multi-franchise! :D

views

Mov_freak
post Nov 20 2014, 11:05 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

John Wick (2014)

There is something very old school about this movie.

And I don't mean 1980s old school, further back then that. Back to when Warner Brothers were churning out a lot of Gangster movies...

I don't know why, the feeling of this movie is a throw back to that period... Gangster/Film Noir-ishness.

And IT IS GREAT!!!!

AS of yesterday, I have watched 3 moths in the past three weeks and all three movies are GREAT!!!

Okay, back to this movie, how throw back is this movie, if this movie was a silent movie, the context of the movie would still have been CLEAR!!!

Don't get me wrong, when I say old school does it mean this movie is not violent, Far from it!!

There aren't any good guys here!

There are just people with/without code of conduct!!!

Go watch this.

I cannot emphasize this move, GO WATCH THIS!!

My Two Sen

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Nov 20 2014, 11:07 PM
Mov_freak
post Feb 16 2017, 11:27 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

It would not be a surprise to people who constantly read this thread that I am a fan of the first John Wick movie. It blindsided me.

So, my expectation for the second movie is high.

So, did someone kill his cat this time round?

Not quite.

From a story point of view, this movie took some risk.

It really tried to pay homage to the first and then own the second movie... and it feels like staging for a third, and that was just too transparent throughout this movie, and where I think hurt the movie.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Action fans will not be disappointed

Censors did not butcher this

So, if you are a fan of the first, you will appreciate this.

My Two Sen.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Feb 16 2017, 11:28 PM
Mov_freak
post Feb 18 2017, 04:42 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(skylinelover @ Feb 18 2017, 03:05 AM)
You so late? I always thought you are the elite early birds here. laugh.gif laugh.gif i got my share on 2nd day opening. Haha.
.... As much as I like to be an "elite early bird", lack of funds and life got in the way.... laugh.gif
Mov_freak
post May 15 2019, 12:55 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)

Just so everyone is on the same page, Parabellum is Latin for be prepared for war.

The movie is aptly named, if you asked me.

Director Chad Stahelski, what can I say about him?

He was a stunt man in The Matirc (1999) and learnt the art of movie story telling from The Wachowski Brothers.

Not only the art of storytelling (which, based on their last few works, the The Wachowski Brothers/Sisters themsleves had forgotten how to...) also the art of movie universe creation.

Which leads me to John Wick.

The first movie is the hardest.

Why?

You had to create the universe, the characters, the rules and whether the general viewing audience to take to your concepts.

Once that is established, in John Wick 2, they had to expended the movie universe.

Most of you know that sequels rarely work.

If you give the audience what they want (more of part one) they will accuse you of pandering to the masses.

If you change things on they, they will yell sacrilege.

So, as I had said, not easy.

You have to find a middle ground and Chad Stahelski found the middle path for the John Wick 1 & 2.

So how did he fare in the third movie?

In a nutshell, good.

The movie universe is expended yet again.

If you like violence in your movie, boy do I have a movie for you.

Most characters from the previous movies return (except for the beagle.... poor puppy)

Everything here works.

The downside is, to make the action bigger, more explosion etc, the action was not "consistent" from the previous movies (I am talking about the fight style of Keanu), until the third act, and the evolution of John Wick fight style returned, and it was... spectacular.

I have to talk a little about Mark Dacascos here.

I believe he is one of the most underrated martial arts action star out there. He has got the moves, just unfortunately, he had not had luck with movie projects and audience.

Based on skill alone, he should have had a much larger audience base... c'est la vie.

So... did I like this

Yes

Will it be the movie to knock Avenger Endgame out of the No 1 pedestal?

We shall see.

Will they make another John Wick?

My concern would be would Keanu be up to it (he is 56 yo... sweat.gif )?

Everybody grows older.... not younger..

On the special note, My Two Sen
Mov_freak
post Mar 23 2023, 11:43 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

John Wick: Chapter 4

R.I.P. Lance Reddick (Charon)

This is a very long movie (3 hours plus).

A heads up, there is an end credit screen after ALL the end credits...

Story wise, the end is... logical.

Action sequences are OFF THE CHARTS! Almost something always happens in every scene.

I cannot even begin to fathom how the heck they manage to get the Arc de Triomphe scene!

Every John Wick movie, the universe it is set in grows, this is the biggest of them all.

Here are all my nick picking about the movie
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Bill SkarsgÄrd character Marquis is well done. He is turning out to be quite a chameleon. After a movie one of the audience while waiting for the lift exclaimed, he's got such a punchable face!! sweat.gif

I enjoyed this.

I can usually tell how a movie end half way in. I did not guess how they actually ended the movie. Kudos.

I enjoyed this.

Great that they got the circle story line completed.

To the censorship board credit, I did not notice any major cuts. Then again they are usually more liberal with violent scenes.

With that, My Two Sen.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0191sec    0.38    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:56 AM