Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Accenture vs Big 4, Internship offer

views

TSRoy_Syd
post Aug 28 2006, 03:21 PM, updated 13y ago

13 posts

Hye guys.

I am currently majoring in Accounting and Economics in an overseas university. Right now, i am on the lookout for internship/vacation employment opportunities for the Summer Break.

I am planning to get a professional qualification after graduating e.g. MICPA, ACCA, ICAA. I do not have a particular industry i am interested, or not interested in. But i do see the value of the professional qualification.

For now, i have received an offer for internship with Accenture Malaysia. I am placed under Resources RGM (whatever that means..) as part of the consulting team, i suppose. I have even been assigned to a project manager-guy-person-thing-boss. It's just a matter of accepting the offer.

I haven't applied for the Big 4s, but i think i should have some chance of getting an offer.

The question is; should i accept Accenture, or a Big 4?

It's really just a matter of me not wanting to waste time and energy to apply to the Big 4s, going for interviews, getting offers, and then go on accepting Accenture anyway.

Thanks in advance.
TSRoy_Syd
post Aug 28 2006, 08:59 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Aug 28 2006, 08:25 PM)
Hi Roy,

If you are looking into getting your Accounting certification then you would be better off in one of the big 4s. Some of them will give you some grants on your examination fees, if I am not wrong, PWC will pay for half.
Hye guys.

I understand that the Consulting team is 'different' from the Technology Solutions team, e.g. payscale.Or something like that.

So if, as cktwai said, Resource RGM is more towards IT Consulting, is it under Consulting or TS? Correct me if i'm wrong on anything, please.

Naturally, the Big 4s would be more supportive for me to pursue the exams. But Accenture is very tempting, no?

In fact, i'm considering to do away with the whole Accounting certification if need be if i were to join Accenture. Is this a wise consideration?

BTW, FYI, Accenture is offering me RM1,000/month for this internship. But this doesn't affect me. I think. At least I hope not...hehe.. =p

Thanks heaps guys.
TSRoy_Syd
post Aug 29 2006, 10:03 AM

13 posts

QUOTE(cktwai @ Aug 29 2006, 10:49 AM)
Accenture is tempting only if you wanna pursue on IT Consulting/Advisory/Implementation... Resource RGM is under Consulting...

Accenture's starting pay is from 3K onwards. Big4's starting pay is RM 2000-2200 depending on which Big4.

Anyway here are my thoughts... you should take the Accenture internship and give it a try at IT consulting. If you like it after you graduate you'll be in a better position to join them.

If you don't, after you graduate you can still join one of the Big4s. They are dying for staff and if your results meet their minimum requirements they'll surely take you in for Financial Audit.  No worries on whether you've done your internship or not.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. This is an opportunity for me to get some experience, anyway.

Thank you.
TSRoy_Syd
post Sep 12 2006, 02:44 PM

13 posts

Hey what's up guys.

Honestly, i don't see what's the fuss about working in Accenture. It doesn't seem to be that....special(?).

Maybe i'm not so into being a Consultant yet, coz i don't exactly know what it is.

But i just got an update; Accenture really likes to send you off overseas.

Someone was sent to Egypt after only 3 months in starting work, and he's still there now working on a project.

Another guy was sent to Holland on his SECOND day!!

Another guy was also sent to Holland on the day he started~!!

In fact, in my offer letter it's stated that i might be asked to do local or overseas trip with my team. That would be very good experience for an internship!

Thanks guys.
TSRoy_Syd
post Sep 13 2006, 07:44 AM

13 posts

QUOTE(Unbelievable @ Sep 12 2006, 05:45 PM)
soon u realize accenture very hard to get in one..contract or intern maybe easy but permanent? need of high quality abilities and of higher qualities talkingments
Yeah, i agree.

For the Northern Summer, they take in around 25 interns.

For Soutern Summer in my case, they take in 10 interns.

For permanent fresh graduate recruitment, they take 80 grads.

There's still a long way to go, but i can't wait to taste that working life thing that i see my dad's been doing all his life! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Roy_Syd: Sep 13 2006, 07:48 AM

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0792sec    2.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd August 2019 - 03:00 PM