Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Accenture vs Big 4, Internship offer

views

TSRoy_Syd
post Aug 28 2006, 03:21 PM, updated 13y ago

Group: Junior Member

Hye guys.

I am currently majoring in Accounting and Economics in an overseas university. Right now, i am on the lookout for internship/vacation employment opportunities for the Summer Break.

I am planning to get a professional qualification after graduating e.g. MICPA, ACCA, ICAA. I do not have a particular industry i am interested, or not interested in. But i do see the value of the professional qualification.

For now, i have received an offer for internship with Accenture Malaysia. I am placed under Resources RGM (whatever that means..) as part of the consulting team, i suppose. I have even been assigned to a project manager-guy-person-thing-boss. It's just a matter of accepting the offer.

I haven't applied for the Big 4s, but i think i should have some chance of getting an offer.

The question is; should i accept Accenture, or a Big 4?

It's really just a matter of me not wanting to waste time and energy to apply to the Big 4s, going for interviews, getting offers, and then go on accepting Accenture anyway.

Thanks in advance.
cktwai
post Aug 28 2006, 05:30 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Roy_Syd @ Aug 28 2006, 03:21 PM)
Hye guys.

I am currently majoring in Accounting and Economics in an overseas university. Right now, i am on the lookout for internship/vacation employment opportunities for the Summer Break.

I am planning to get a professional qualification after graduating e.g. MICPA, ACCA, ICAA. I do not have a particular industry i am interested, or not interested in. But i do see the value of the professional qualification.

For now, i have received an offer for internship with Accenture Malaysia. I am placed under Resources RGM (whatever that means..) as part of the consulting team, i suppose. I have even been assigned to a project manager-guy-person-thing-boss. It's just a matter of accepting the offer.

I haven't applied for the Big 4s, but i think i should have some chance of getting an offer.

It's really just a matter of me not wanting to waste time and energy to apply to the Big 4s, going for interviews, getting offers, and then go on accepting Accenture anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Working under Resource RGM in Accenture.. hmmm basically you won't be doing things similar to your degree.. That is more like a IT Consulting intern role. I have a friend working in that same department. smile.gif Their office is at KLCC.

On the other hand applying to Big4s, you can go into the following departments:-
1) Financial Audit (External)
2) Transaction Advisory
3) Tax
4) Internal Audit
5) External IT Audit

Just to let you know Big4s pays about RM500 for interns... Also it'll take about 2-3 weeks for you to apply and get an offer as well. Hoep this helps you a bit.

Mavik
post Aug 28 2006, 06:25 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Group: Elite

QUOTE(Roy_Syd @ Aug 28 2006, 03:21 PM)
Hye guys.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Roy,

If you are looking into getting your Accounting certification then you would be better off in one of the big 4s. Some of them will give you some grants on your examination fees, if I am not wrong, PWC will pay for half.

TSRoy_Syd
post Aug 28 2006, 08:59 PM

QUOTE(Mavik @ Aug 28 2006, 08:25 PM)
Hi Roy,

If you are looking into getting your Accounting certification then you would be better off in one of the big 4s. Some of them will give you some grants on your examination fees, if I am not wrong, PWC will pay for half.
Hye guys.

I understand that the Consulting team is 'different' from the Technology Solutions team, e.g. payscale.Or something like that.

So if, as cktwai said, Resource RGM is more towards IT Consulting, is it under Consulting or TS? Correct me if i'm wrong on anything, please.

Naturally, the Big 4s would be more supportive for me to pursue the exams. But Accenture is very tempting, no?

In fact, i'm considering to do away with the whole Accounting certification if need be if i were to join Accenture. Is this a wise consideration?

BTW, FYI, Accenture is offering me RM1,000/month for this internship. But this doesn't affect me. I think. At least I hope not...hehe.. =p

Thanks heaps guys.
cktwai
post Aug 29 2006, 08:49 AM

On my way

QUOTE(Roy_Syd @ Aug 28 2006, 08:59 PM)
Hye guys.

I understand that the Consulting team is 'different' from the Technology Solutions team, e.g. payscale.Or something like that.

So if, as cktwai said, Resource RGM is more towards IT Consulting, is it under Consulting or TS? Correct me if i'm wrong on anything, please.

Naturally, the Big 4s would be more supportive for me to pursue the exams. But Accenture is very tempting, no?

In fact, i'm considering to do away with the whole Accounting certification if need be if i were to join Accenture. Is this a wise consideration?

BTW, FYI, Accenture is offering me RM1,000/month for this internship. But this doesn't affect me. I think. At least I hope not...hehe.. =p

Thanks heaps guys.
Accenture is tempting only if you wanna pursue on IT Consulting/Advisory/Implementation... Resource RGM is under Consulting...

Accenture's starting pay is from 3K onwards. Big4's starting pay is RM 2000-2200 depending on which Big4.

Anyway here are my thoughts... you should take the Accenture internship and give it a try at IT consulting. If you like it after you graduate you'll be in a better position to join them.

If you don't, after you graduate you can still join one of the Big4s. They are dying for staff and if your results meet their minimum requirements they'll surely take you in for Financial Audit. No worries on whether you've done your internship or not.

TSRoy_Syd
post Aug 29 2006, 10:03 AM

QUOTE(cktwai @ Aug 29 2006, 10:49 AM)
Accenture is tempting only if you wanna pursue on IT Consulting/Advisory/Implementation... Resource RGM is under Consulting...

Accenture's starting pay is from 3K onwards. Big4's starting pay is RM 2000-2200 depending on which Big4.

Anyway here are my thoughts... you should take the Accenture internship and give it a try at IT consulting. If you like it after you graduate you'll be in a better position to join them.

If you don't, after you graduate you can still join one of the Big4s. They are dying for staff and if your results meet their minimum requirements they'll surely take you in for Financial Audit.  No worries on whether you've done your internship or not.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. This is an opportunity for me to get some experience, anyway.

Thank you.
spie
post Aug 29 2006, 02:31 PM

Casual

I'll go for Accenture. not many people can have thier internship in Accenture.
lighter
post Aug 29 2006, 04:13 PM

Recommended Seller

I'm in the big4 please don't come in without experience.. you'll die!
cktwai
post Aug 29 2006, 04:44 PM

On my way

QUOTE(lighter @ Aug 29 2006, 04:13 PM)
I'm in the big4 please don't come in without experience.. you'll die!
hey man.. which big4 you in ?

MM / KA ?
Uptown?
Near MalaysianRE?
SimeDarby???

laugh.gif
hashinclude
post Sep 9 2006, 08:36 PM

Enthusiast

just take the accenture one .... since they offered you ...im assuming that your grades are excellent ... which means that you could very easily end up in the big 4 if u want after you graduate.

as said, not many can get into accenture .... take this opportunity to do something beyond your degree and experience it.
yiivei
post Sep 10 2006, 11:06 AM

~WooLaLa~

QUOTE(hashinclude @ Sep 9 2006, 08:36 PM)
just take the accenture one .... since they offered you ...im assuming that your grades are excellent ... which means that you could very easily end up in the big 4 if u want after you graduate. 

as said, not many can get into accenture .... take this opportunity to do something beyond your degree and experience it.
ya i agree to ur statement. u should try out accenture first, if it doenst really suit ur preference then u can move on to big 4's after u graduate...

just my 2 cents lar...
Unbelievable
post Sep 10 2006, 11:25 AM

Casual

pretty easy to join BIG4 as auditor anyway..
but to be analyst in accenture..story of different...
jobseekertalk
post Sep 10 2006, 04:29 PM

Roy,

It is always more than 1 opportunity, seem like you are in dillema want or dont want to go for the big4 and accept accenture, why not take ur time to interview at big4 and gain something, u dont lose anything but you gain something, interview skills. Instead of guessing or assume, the interview will allow to ask question and answer from the right person. Hope it help, but maybe u have already make a decision, this post is late. hehe..
darun
post Sep 11 2006, 09:22 AM

Enthusiast

Hey, just so you know, a lot, and I mean A LOT of companies here in Malaysia takes in trainees, but will have them do things totally unrelated to their major. Even if it is a MNC company, there is no guarantee, this is more of cultural trait. I am not kidding, I have been in a few local as well as 1 MNC company so far in Malaysia for the past 5 years and most of the trainees I encounter are not assigned tasks that they major in. I say it applies even to MNC companies because, if the person you are reporting to is a local dude, then it is no different from a local company. It is very common for local companies to hire trainees to do all the odd and miscellaneous one off tasks that they cannot find anyone to do. You will gain some experience from the exposure, but not much.
Unbelievable
post Sep 11 2006, 02:47 PM

Casual

btw accenture is not just any MNC. getting in is 1 step harder than normal MNCs
jehutyz
post Sep 11 2006, 05:48 PM

Regular

Not sure about Big4s. Accenture. One of the potential company for IT solution. Listed in top 30 for it. Wish to get in there too.
TSRoy_Syd
post Sep 12 2006, 02:44 PM

Hey what's up guys.

Honestly, i don't see what's the fuss about working in Accenture. It doesn't seem to be that....special(?).

Maybe i'm not so into being a Consultant yet, coz i don't exactly know what it is.

But i just got an update; Accenture really likes to send you off overseas.

Someone was sent to Egypt after only 3 months in starting work, and he's still there now working on a project.

Another guy was sent to Holland on his SECOND day!!

Another guy was also sent to Holland on the day he started~!!

In fact, in my offer letter it's stated that i might be asked to do local or overseas trip with my team. That would be very good experience for an internship!

Thanks guys.
Unbelievable
post Sep 12 2006, 03:45 PM

Casual

soon u realize accenture very hard to get in one..contract or intern maybe easy but permanent? need of high quality abilities and of higher qualities talkingments
TSRoy_Syd
post Sep 13 2006, 07:44 AM

QUOTE(Unbelievable @ Sep 12 2006, 05:45 PM)
soon u realize accenture very hard to get in one..contract or intern maybe easy but permanent? need of high quality abilities and of higher qualities talkingments
Yeah, i agree.

For the Northern Summer, they take in around 25 interns.

For Soutern Summer in my case, they take in 10 interns.

For permanent fresh graduate recruitment, they take 80 grads.

There's still a long way to go, but i can't wait to taste that working life thing that i see my dad's been doing all his life! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Roy_Syd: Sep 13 2006, 07:48 AM
jehutyz
post Sep 13 2006, 08:33 AM

Regular

QUOTE(Roy_Syd @ Sep 12 2006, 02:44 PM)
Hey what's up guys.

Honestly, i don't see what's the fuss about working in Accenture. It doesn't seem to be that....special(?).

Maybe i'm not so into being a Consultant yet, coz i don't exactly know what it is.

But i just got an update; Accenture really likes to send you off overseas.

Someone was sent to Egypt after only 3 months in starting work, and he's still there now working on a project.

Another guy was sent to Holland on his SECOND day!!

Another guy was also sent to Holland on the day he started~!!

In fact, in my offer letter it's stated that i might be asked to do local or overseas trip with my team. That would be very good experience for an internship!

Thanks guys.
Not sure what team is ur fren in. I got few fren in the solution workforce. They still at here. Anywhere if go to oversea for not long term it will be good. U can get more exposure for it. This is what i think.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0867sec    2.85    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd July 2019 - 11:00 PM