Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Engine Oil Reviews/Technical talk v2, Everything Automotive lubricants/fluids

views

TSQuazacolt
post Mar 16 2022, 10:42 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(SKYjack @ Mar 16 2022, 10:26 AM)
I wouldn't buy Shell HU without code. Recently Giant was selling this oil with no sticker code. Maybe its packed at a different country.

2. Shell oil must have security code sticker.
SHU is OK
Giant selling Shell helix ultra is not a recent thing, Tesco (not Lotuss) Giant have been doing it for YEARS, maybe over 10?

i got a SHU UOA that is bought from Giant from a friend/member.
so it is NOT a MUST to have security code stickers smile.gif
TSQuazacolt
post Mar 22 2022, 02:16 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(ys671 @ Mar 22 2022, 02:14 AM)
Hi all, regarding the viscosity at 100c from first page.

For example:
Oil A viscosity at 100c is 14
Oil B viscosity at 100c is 13

Page 1 said the lower is better. But what if i prefer higher viscosity which is Oil A at 14 for slightly better engine protection by sacrifice a little fuel consumption? Is my understanding correct?
Yes that's correct
TSQuazacolt
post Mar 23 2022, 04:39 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(empire23 @ Aug 5 2014, 08:14 PM)
I like the fact that this new threat is more geared towards fluids and lubricants in general. There are a lot of fluids that make a car tick and EO is just one of them and thus having a decent pinned thread to discuss them is definitely a good thing.
goldfries

what's a good way to link [img] tags without up setting the forum limits? i got self host server so maybe instead of directly displaying the image, just a picture link?
also what's the maximum img tags a post can contain?
TSQuazacolt
post Mar 23 2022, 06:04 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(empire23 @ Mar 23 2022, 05:03 PM)
25 if i recall correctly.

Which reminds me I have to do an oil change on my car and do the brakes as well.
I swear I'm below that limit yet LYN forums already upset at me laugh.gif

Need to figure out a way to better manage first page information with many more UOA samples (car brand model, oil brand model, bikes, transmission, engines all available lol)
TSQuazacolt
post Aug 5 2022, 09:22 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(carnby77 @ Aug 5 2022, 07:53 PM)
The foreman told me dont follow time based changeout for engine oil. He said to use mileage for full usage of the oil. How true is this? mileage better indicator?
Change foreman

Both is required, whichever first
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 1 2022, 02:32 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(zak3 @ Sep 1 2022, 12:11 PM)
err.. can give some insight, is it ok, normal or not good..
dont understand the number meaning.
Information is readily available on first page however if you're lazy, then refer to this page directly:
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/about-us/wh...s-oil-analysis/
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/...ne-combined.pdf

QUOTE(mytmnet @ Sep 1 2022, 11:17 AM)
Thanks Quazacolt for introduce oil test smile.gif

Confirm the Subaru used liqui moly as it is having highest moly in the report tongue.gif
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

QUOTE(mytmnet @ Sep 1 2022, 11:32 AM)
Oil review: ADDINOL SUPER LIGHT 0540, used for 9600KM

Hey huge thanks for willing to perform UOA and sharing to all of us.
Is it ok for me to also add in to the first page for easier references/access?

As for your first report, is it for Subaru XV? I'm not sure if they ever used Liqui Moly, thought they just used Motul, maybe recently switch to LM.
FYI that amount of Moly is actually low and majority of mainstream oils have similar, if not even more amount of molybdenum tongue.gif

The second Audi sample looks good too.
Though the viscosity seems more towards a w50 (even though from your mention the model being "super light and 0540 seems like an indication it is definitely 5w40 lol) engine oil which is really thick and may not be within Audi's specifications?

9600km was pretty impressive as well though it would be better if there's TBN to see how the additives held up and that may open up for longer OCI possibility.

Can ignore if you have no desire for that, considering it is an Audi and reliability can be a question mark. Or, I'm overthinking and it's non issue to you as you have other cars in case the Audi does face issue

Nevertheless, thanks for you contribution to the community!

QUOTE(mytmnet @ Sep 1 2022, 01:02 PM)
I think the below part is the most important as it show how "dirty" of the engine and possible of failure of any parts.
Upper part is some addictive used to protect the engine and should no fall to certain lv (?)

Do the oil check as I purchase it as recond car and Subaru is 2nd hand car.
Next check will be both car transmission oil  biggrin.gif
I'd say all is equally important as you get to know what oil is good and what oil is only marketing. Able to tell wear metals is also early detection of potential problems within an engine without the need to open it up. As I've always provided analogies akin to humans performing blood test as opposed to an actual surgery.
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 2 2022, 09:32 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(mytmnet @ Sep 1 2022, 06:28 PM)
Yes, you can put my info at the first page and thanks for your great job so I can know the blackstone and sent to them to test my oil.

Audi report have 2, one is origin from the UK with unknown oil, 2nd one which I posted is with 502.00 and 505.00 spec.
0540 is I directly copy from ADDINOL website and it should listed as you said 5w40
Now still under smart warranty so no plan to use for longer OCI but after it might add on TBN option.

And you are correct, Subaru is using Motul which I confuse it with LM.
Motul MI-Tech Fully Synthetic Engine Oil listed in the booklet, is a Subaru Forester tongue.gif

Currently using Liqui Moly 4200 with 504.00 and 507.00 spec biggrin.gif 
But as the 504.00 / 507.00 oil price keep going up, I just purchase 502.00 / 505.00 oil this time.
Your forester is NA or turbo? I can't tell just from FB20 designation.

Regardless really good wear reports from both vehicles! And considering it is used/recond, at least you gotten peace of mind that the engines are running fine thumbup.gif

It is sure fire indicators backed by numbers aka con9lan7firm for the layman lol.

Oh and i don't see trace of silicon on Audi , Subaru on the other hand, a bit on the high side, but not critical concern

Was the engine opened up before?
(Considering recent Subaru sealant issue on second gen 86 BRZ)

Liqui Moly for the Audi?

=Edit= after re confirming

QUOTE(ayamxxx @ Sep 2 2022, 09:02 AM)
hi, any issue to use the recommended engine oil 0w20 by the manufacturer for the newer eo 0w16? Plan to use Petronas new 0w16
I don't think got issue.

However that oil expensive compared to w20, no? To me doesn't seem to justify the cost.
Main thing is the rarity and novelty of that viscosity

This post has been edited by Quazacolt: Sep 2 2022, 09:45 AM
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 2 2022, 09:45 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(mytmnet @ Sep 1 2022, 01:02 PM)
Subaru is 2nd hand car.
Ah. Fully serviced at motor image? Still under warranty? Mileage/year still very low?
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 5 2022, 02:49 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(mytmnet @ Sep 5 2022, 10:05 AM)
Yes, 2018 / 41000KM car warranty till 2023 biggrin.gif
Services booklet didn't stamped all but invoice seem legit follow every 6-8month service at Motor Image.

Engine didn't opened up before as per check with Motor Image didn't have any major claim before,

Liqui Moly 4200 for Audi, as it fit 504 00 / 507 00 biggrin.gif

Liqui Moly 4200
Ok at least got full service with motor image then that's a bit less worry. Probably just a Subaru thing with the sealant lol!

That Liqui Moly seems intriguing:
Depending on the manufacturer's specifications, oil change intervals of up to 30,000 or 50,000 km or every 2 years for low mileage drivers are thus possible.

Pushing 2 years servicing already laugh.gif
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 9 2022, 05:27 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(coolkwc @ Sep 9 2022, 04:46 PM)
Haiz, i don't understand why not the original oil manufacturer use a barcode system to trace whether the oil is genuine or not.
Political issue.
Or need to take care some people rice bowls issue
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 19 2022, 11:25 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(mytmnet @ Sep 1 2022, 06:28 PM)
Yes, you can put my info at the first page and thanks for your great job so I can know the blackstone and sent to them to test my oil.
ok added https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=69644756

man so much information and compilation really need a huge effort to go through all of them again to update/clean up/re categorize and re organize / sort everything console.gif confused.gif rclxub.gif
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 28 2022, 01:02 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Sep 28 2022, 12:30 AM)
I am interested to do an engine oil analysis but I do not have any clean uncontaminated bottles around.

What kind of bottle would be suitable to store used engine oil, like some temporary place to keep before sending out to proper lab for analysis.

Dont think I will be able to get hold of blackstone labs kit in this short time period (unless someone here have some spare lying around)
if you're keen on UOA, you can request a free sample bottle from blackstone labs USA.
apparently they ship really damn fast post the pandemic mess. (within a working week)

but, if you still can't make it, perhaps a clean glass bottle? (no way for residues to stick around the walls of the container unlike plastics, that also may be deteriorated from hot engine oil)
though from blackstone labs, apparently you don't need to be too particular on the methods:
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information...il-changes-101/
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information...s/gas-sampling/
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/videos/
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 28 2022, 02:30 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Sep 28 2022, 12:00 PM)
The issue is my service is due this coming weekend, not sure if they can do it THAT short notice considering they are in another part of the world.

Yes was also looking into glass bottle, just not sure where can i get it at such short notice.

That why I asking if any folks here have spare blackstone bottle that can be given away  icon_question.gif
ah this weekend is really short notice. global shipping can still be delayed and that is expected especially free shipping.

perhaps you can check out Mr DIY or like Mr dollar or daiso, may be expensive (Daiso 5.9 most expensive loll) but i think 100ml +/- bottle shouldn't be too bad on pricing.

i have a spare bottle but i am situated in Melaka currently sweat.gif
=edit=
ah and that spare may be wanted by a friend for his tranny or diff, not sure when he's collecting from me though sweat.gif

This post has been edited by Quazacolt: Sep 28 2022, 02:32 PM
TSQuazacolt
post Oct 4 2022, 09:48 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Oct 4 2022, 07:05 PM)
Managed to get my used oil, do it need to quickly send to lab or I can wait?

I not sure if not leaving it like that will cause the oil to degrade.
You definitely can wait
And i got EXACTLY an oil samples that's left in my room for over 3 years!

Dec 2015 collected sample and May 2019 analysed.

Once your oil samples is collected in a sealed container its degradation slows down drastically as oxidisation is almost near to none without oxygen and of course, additional heat, fuel and carbon from combustion process.

So i somehow managed to confirm and myth busted a common worry laugh.gif
TSQuazacolt
post Oct 18 2022, 10:39 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Oct 18 2022, 07:02 PM)
I was wondering if OCI of almost 13K Is too far stretched.
Really no way to tell for sure until UOA

for most applications, 13k km isn't far stretched at all.
But, i don't know how you really drive, how is your Axia engine condition, and most importantly, i don't think anyone have Mizu VOA/UOA information for reference.
TSQuazacolt
post Nov 2 2022, 08:55 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(RigerZ @ Nov 2 2022, 08:46 PM)
Hi Quazacolt, have you been able to confirm if this hypothesis is true? Or if you've found out some other reason why conti cars can have longer OCIs than japanese cars
we know for sure that more oil =
1) more capacity to contain more contaminants
2) more additives from said oil to suspend / disperse contaminants
3) more additives from the larger amount of oil also helps on oxidisation

now, why exactly conti cars have longer OCI?
i don't think the above reasons alone are the deciding factors even though they can be the main reasons.

i am guessing that European brands or EU countries tend have heavy emphasis on environmental conservations, while Japanese in general are very conservative, which leads to a good reputation of reliability (from shorter OCI)

at the end of the day its a topic that doesn't lead to any solid conclusion.
you could however use UOA and have solid numbers to draw YOUR OWN conclusion for sure.
TSQuazacolt
post Dec 19 2022, 03:01 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(minizian @ Dec 14 2022, 11:52 PM)
Does blackstone do oil analysis for gear box?

My gearbox oil change is due, would love to know how is it doing?
yes they do.
motorcycles, differentials, machineries, aviation etc

you could probably analyze cooking oil if you're really adventurous and got money to spare.
see how much sodium, iron and Calcium your fried chicken used frying oil contains

jokes aside, i've got few gear oil samples in my first page, and my friend has finally contributed the first LSD sample for everyone that i'll be posting soon, ish.
(life gotten super busy for me this year)
TSQuazacolt
post Feb 3 2023, 02:21 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(GuyM @ Jan 27 2023, 08:47 AM)
Off topic can both valve and fuel injector cleaner be used or poured into the tank same time? Or best done on each refill? Or both are a waste of money for an engine with more than 340k km
no idea, u'll need to find out if they have any adverse issues being used together.

waste of time or not really depends on your perception/preference and what car you're driving. if you're on direct injection cars, your intake valves won't be cleaned. and being direct injection, their crazy high direct injectors are really sensitive and those cleaning chemicals might cause more harm than good.

example: the cleaner itself is safe, but upon cleaning and dislodging small/fine/micro dirt causing the direct injectors to clog up
TSQuazacolt
post Feb 3 2023, 02:30 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(cempedaklife @ Jan 31 2023, 09:28 AM)
finally Giant listened. they started bringing in shell hx8 5w-30 SN/SN plus spec now!

although its Made in Malaysia. no untuk pasaran Malaysia in sight, so I'm guessing its for export. 5w-40 is still the usual imported version.

only thing right now is, its priced at rm128. will wait for discount but lately cheapest also about rm108 and i need to change my oil real soon.
i personally am against using a lower tier product at higher price.
aka paying more for less.

HX8 is below Helix Ultra. and Lotuss Giant tend to sell SHU cheaper than Shell HX8
if viscosity is utmost importance to me, then i will skip Shell entirely.

Otherwise if my car is compatible, i will use the thicker SHU accordingly.
much slower warm up times for example, especially if your car calls for 0w20, and if its a really tight tolerance eco/daily beater mainstream sorta engine, potential cold start wears

SN/SN plus is NOT a spec, just a certification standard.
an oil can be exactly same, just updated to a new certification.

some food for thought:
SN / SN Plus calls for more eco friendly measurements, aka further reducing additives and anti wear properties, and also LSPI (low speed pre ignition), where calcium additives is deemed as a primary cause however that is the main additive for detergency , dispersant, generally cleanliness of an engine.

a cheap mainstream or low to mid tier level oil, already low on those items, can probably automatically get certified.
While a top of the line loaded with additive oil will need to make modifications to meet those new requirements, or not bother updating the certification and sell as is remain certified with old standards.
TSQuazacolt
post Feb 7 2023, 01:24 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

parking UOA post

https://www.quazacolt.com/uoa/gt86/20211025...6_FA20-2013.png

https://www.quazacolt.com/uoa/others/kk_FA2...RANS-221001.png

https://www.quazacolt.com/uoa/others/kk_FA2...6LSD-221001.png

https://www.quazacolt.com/uoa/others/sunoco_221103.png