Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Engine Oil Reviews/Technical talk v2, Everything Automotive lubricants/fluids

views

RigerZ
post Nov 2 2022, 08:46 PM

On the way on the way
823 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jul 26 2016, 09:21 PM)
that said, a LOT of european cars do have higher oil capacities and that could be the main factor on them allowing much longer OCI, be it mileage and/or period.
Hi Quazacolt, have you been able to confirm if this hypothesis is true? Or if you've found out some other reason why conti cars can have longer OCIs than japanese cars
TSQuazacolt
post Nov 2 2022, 08:55 PM

Riding couple
4,873 posts

QUOTE(RigerZ @ Nov 2 2022, 08:46 PM)
Hi Quazacolt, have you been able to confirm if this hypothesis is true? Or if you've found out some other reason why conti cars can have longer OCIs than japanese cars
we know for sure that more oil =
1) more capacity to contain more contaminants
2) more additives from said oil to suspend / disperse contaminants
3) more additives from the larger amount of oil also helps on oxidisation

now, why exactly conti cars have longer OCI?
i don't think the above reasons alone are the deciding factors even though they can be the main reasons.

i am guessing that European brands or EU countries tend have heavy emphasis on environmental conservations, while Japanese in general are very conservative, which leads to a good reputation of reliability (from shorter OCI)

at the end of the day its a topic that doesn't lead to any solid conclusion.
you could however use UOA and have solid numbers to draw YOUR OWN conclusion for sure.
The Hunt Begins
post Nov 3 2022, 01:57 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

Hey guys, I realize my Oil Pressure is abit low lately. I have both Temp and Press gauges.

When my Temp climbs up to 87-90c, Pressure drops to around 10psi. My gauge has a warning light that comes on if the pressure hits 10 and below psi. So yeah needless to say, the light keeps coming on. Should I be worried? Is this Pressure normal?

Car is a normal Campro and currently on 0w40 Mobil 1 FS.
JohnMurphy123 P
post Nov 3 2022, 03:54 PM

Probation
9 posts

Just realized kaito engine oil is rated as gf6-A oil. Not many cool has this rating in our market.
chemistry
post Nov 3 2022, 06:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,904 posts

QUOTE(JohnMurphy123 @ Nov 3 2022, 03:54 PM)
Just realized kaito engine oil is rated as gf6-A oil. Not many cool has this rating in our market.
I have got 2 examples here.
Attached Image
Attached Image
JohnMurphy123 P
post Nov 4 2022, 08:59 AM

Probation
9 posts

QUOTE(chemistry @ Nov 3 2022, 06:49 PM)
I have got 2 examples here.
Attached Image
Attached Image
OK, Thanks.
Balanced
post Nov 25 2022, 12:38 AM

On my way
579 posts

QUOTE(The Hunt Begins @ Nov 3 2022, 01:57 PM)
Hey guys, I realize my Oil Pressure is abit low lately. I have both Temp and Press gauges.

When my Temp climbs up to 87-90c, Pressure drops to around 10psi. My gauge has a warning light that comes on if the pressure hits 10 and below psi. So yeah needless to say, the light keeps coming on. Should I be worried? Is this Pressure normal?

Car is a normal Campro and currently on 0w40 Mobil 1 FS.
It's abnormal.
Better get it checked. Low oil pressure is very dangerous, not enough oil getting to moving parts = fast engine wear. Very fast.
If unlucky suddenly no oil pressure for few seconds to a certain critical part = bye bye engine.

Are your oil filter ori?
Done any gasket jobs on the engine, oil pan etc? Excessive gasket fillers might clogged the oil pickup nozzle.
Open up oil pan and check.
90Boyz
post Nov 29 2022, 09:47 AM

UTMB !!
3,707 posts

Is there any chances that changing from 5w30 into 5w40 will increase the engine coolant temperature ?
The Hunt Begins
post Nov 29 2022, 12:07 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Nov 25 2022, 12:38 AM)
It's abnormal.
Better get it checked. Low oil pressure is very dangerous, not enough oil getting to moving parts = fast engine wear. Very fast.
If unlucky suddenly no oil pressure for few seconds to a certain critical part = bye bye engine.

Are your oil filter ori?
Done any gasket jobs on the engine, oil pan etc? Excessive gasket fillers might clogged the oil pickup nozzle.
Open up oil pan and check.
Holy I havent visited this thread in a while. But a lil update, had it checked turns out my gauge was reading wrong hahaha. Had me a heart attack.

Ori filter, had it serviced in proton itself, no gasket job afaik or any top or bottom end jobs. Engine is currently running rather happily on SHU I bought off Lotus with lesser noise to report.

Balanced
post Nov 29 2022, 04:45 PM

On my way
579 posts

QUOTE(The Hunt Begins @ Nov 29 2022, 12:07 PM)
Holy I havent visited this thread in a while. But a lil update, had it checked turns out my gauge was reading wrong hahaha. Had me a heart attack.

Ori filter, had it serviced in proton itself, no gasket job afaik or any top or bottom end jobs. Engine is currently running rather happily on SHU I bought off Lotus with lesser noise to report.
Thats good. Best case scenario for u
square2
post Nov 30 2022, 10:13 AM

Getting Started
138 posts

the difference between toyota full synthetic and semi price is quite a wide gap

should i downgrade? i am always a firm believer of only using full synthetic but the service advisor says for malaysian weather, the 2 doesn't really make any difference as both also need to change at every 10k km

car is under warranty so no chance to go outside to change
ben3003
post Dec 1 2022, 07:19 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,137 posts

https://www.thesundaily.my/gear-up/shell-ma...-gas-MC10304668

Carbon neutral? 😂
overfloe
post Dec 2 2022, 10:51 AM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
1,902 posts

QUOTE(square2 @ Nov 30 2022, 11:13 AM)
the difference between toyota full synthetic and semi price is quite a wide gap

should i downgrade? i am always a firm believer of only using full synthetic but the service advisor says for malaysian weather, the 2 doesn't really make any difference as both also need to change at every 10k km

car is under warranty so no chance to go outside to change
most semi cannot tahan until 10k km. after 4 to 5km, your engine will sound and feel rough.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.41    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 5th December 2022 - 11:08 PM