Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Engine Oil Reviews/Technical talk v2, Everything Automotive lubricants/fluids

views

chemistry
post Dec 14 2017, 01:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,042 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Dec 14 2017, 01:28 PM)
Missed 12/12 sale, you can still give me Christmas sale, later boxing day sale, then year end sale, then new year sale, then CNY sale....

Oh well, i'm not i a real hurry, only will need to use it 1 year later. I'm driving a mazda, still under free service period.
It is one of the HDEO product range that chemistry sells.
Not me doing the sale, it's Shopee giving the discount vouchers.
Mazda zoom-zoom must be fun to drive hehe... What EO does SC use?
chemistry
post Dec 14 2017, 01:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,042 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Dec 14 2017, 12:54 PM)
what is UHP?
UHP is top tier HDEO of Petro-Canada.
To elaborate more, Petro-Canada HDEO is known as DURON.
There are DURON HP (premium mineral), DURON SHP (synthetic blend), DURON UHP (fully synthetic).
Most of them also complies to JASO MA/MA2 which means can be used on 4T motorbikes with wet clutch. (I know u knew this already lol)
TSQuazacolt
post Dec 14 2017, 01:48 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(chemistry @ Dec 14 2017, 01:43 PM)
UHP is top tier HDEO of Petro-Canada.
To elaborate more, Petro-Canada HDEO is known as DURON.
There are DURON HP (premium mineral), DURON SHP (synthetic blend), DURON UHP (fully synthetic).
Most of them also complies to JASO MA/MA2 which means can be used on 4T motorbikes with wet clutch. (I know u knew this already lol)
Oh thanks for the info bro biggrin.gif
wkc5657
post Dec 14 2017, 02:02 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(chemistry @ Dec 14 2017, 01:38 PM)
Not me doing the sale, it's Shopee giving the discount vouchers.
Mazda zoom-zoom must be fun to drive hehe... What EO does SC use?
Oooo....you now sell at Shopee....but you don't tell, kita mana tau blush.gif

Yes, mazda nice to drive, but the suspension noise not nice. Official engine oils used by bermaz are shell helix hx7 (free) and helix ultra (pay extra money).
kidmad
post Dec 14 2017, 02:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,370 posts

QUOTE(jamespaul @ Dec 14 2017, 11:11 AM)
Additive is different but the base makeup of these additives are the same. They all buy from a handful of suppliers
Pouring engine oil from the bottle would never tell you how good an engine oil is. Color does not make any oil perform differently, that itself is an additive to make the color
rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

very obvious you never used them before. cool2.gif
TSQuazacolt
post Dec 14 2017, 02:23 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(kidmad @ Dec 14 2017, 02:15 PM)
rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif

very obvious you never used them before.  cool2.gif
jamespaul post is still very valid and whether he have used LM/LM MoS2 before is irrelevant.

Please refrain from biased/non technical postings if/when possible, thank you. notworthy.gif
kidmad
post Dec 14 2017, 02:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,370 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Dec 14 2017, 02:23 PM)
jamespaul post is still very valid and whether he have used LM/LM MoS2 before is irrelevant.

Please refrain from biased/non technical postings if/when possible, thank you. notworthy.gif
Dude so you saying MoS2 or additional additive is used in all kind of EO like Shell Helix? I'm pretty sure all oil manufacturers do use different kind of additive and i'm buying into Engine Oils which has this kind of additive. period.

Pouring engine oil into my car will never tell me how good it is. In fact i don't do it myself. But paying 5 years for Shell Helix and changing it to LM right after my car is out of warranty tells me how good it is.
wkc5657
post Dec 14 2017, 02:40 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(kidmad @ Dec 14 2017, 02:30 PM)
Dude so you saying MoS2 or additional additive is used in all kind of EO like Shell Helix? I'm pretty sure all oil manufacturers do use different kind of additive and i'm buying into Engine Oils which has this kind of additive. period.

Pouring engine oil into my car will never tell me how good it is. In fact i don't do it myself. But paying 5 years for Shell Helix and changing it to LM right after my car is out of warranty tells me how good it is.
Before going further, do you even know what MoS2 actually is?
jamespaul
post Dec 14 2017, 03:40 PM

Getting Started
211 posts

QUOTE(kidmad @ Dec 14 2017, 02:15 PM)
rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif

very obvious you never used them before.  cool2.gif
If possible do show proof that it is better?

Where are the dyno charts to show more power?

Or Vibration meter to identify smoother engine?

Engine mic for quieter engine?

The question you asked was, have I used it before?

I have owned more than 7 cars. Used from Pennzoil (USA), Eneos (sustina), M1, Shell and Castrol EDGE. None of the oils I've tested had any noticeable difference.

If LM can make better oils, why dont they advertise as such? Like, "we make more power than M1" or "we are 30% smoother than Castrol Edge". All oils are similar in specifications (especially for normal use). For racing, then that is a different type of fish. Then you probably need thicker oils, ester-based oils or higher additive packages.

Do correct me if I am wrong. I would really like to learn if there are real proof to show that some oils are better than the others.
GamersFamilia
post Dec 14 2017, 04:02 PM

Videogames Enthusiast , An Avid Gamer and Videogames Collector
All Stars
13,071 posts

im using whatever engine oil on promotion at tesco , last week just done full service for my 2003 toyota camry 2.0e .. for the engine oil im using total quartz 10w 40 semi * rm99 for 5L engine oil
TSQuazacolt
post Dec 14 2017, 04:14 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(kidmad @ Dec 14 2017, 02:30 PM)

wkc5657 's post

And again, all I'm asking is to stay relevant and technical instead of paying placebos/feel/butt Dyno, whatever you want to call it.

And to humor you a bit with some googling
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...938#Post4185938
jamespaul
post Dec 15 2017, 10:36 AM

Getting Started
211 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Dec 14 2017, 04:14 PM)
wkc5657 's post

And again, all I'm asking is to stay relevant and technical instead of paying placebos/feel/butt Dyno, whatever you want to call it.

And to humor you a bit with some googling
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...938#Post4185938
Exactly
mrbs84
post Dec 16 2017, 02:05 AM

Casual
316 posts

Hi

Anyone have any opinion on ROLF Ester EO? Thinking wanna try that brand, currently on LM Special tec.

*change to 300v since not much price gap lol

This post has been edited by mrbs84: Dec 16 2017, 06:09 PM
wkc5657
post Dec 18 2017, 11:18 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(White_Flag @ Dec 18 2017, 09:28 PM)
Question here, my car start getting noisy. Sound like many things stuck in the engine, feel like the engine not function smoothly. And Wen i move my car from car park area, i found there got many oil on the floor, the oil leak is getting serious. What should i do?
It could simply mean that the lubrication is getting lesser as running out of engine oil in your sump through the leak.

Or it could be :
- stuck piston rings
- broken piston rings
- scoring on the cylinder lining
- worn out seals

Bring it to the nearest mechanic soonest possible. If your oil leak completely, depending on your "luck" likely your car's engine components will literally break apart not too long after driving off.

Check the oil sump level through the dip stick. If still visible, you're still relatively safe to drive. If the line don't show up on the dip stick level, go get any cheap engine oil you can find at the petrol station and top up before driving off.

wkc5657
post Dec 20 2017, 08:24 AM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(Pandora Hearts @ Dec 19 2017, 09:53 PM)
Wrongly use the engine oil will affect much on the car engine? i mean the low standard engine oil.
What will it affect on the engine?
If you purchased proper engine oil, even though "low standard" (cheapest in the range), still will work fine in your engine. Just that the oil change will need to come a little earlier.

If in the case of those unknown branded oil, possibly have no idea what kind of oil/manufacturing source. Could be though infamous improperly recycled oil. This will surely break you engine.

If in doubt of the various brands and confused, the easiest way is to get those brands that also sell petrol. Maybe a little more expensive, but more assured as these companies have the expertise to manufacture all kinds oil derivative products.
Junkyeyns
post Dec 22 2017, 08:22 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Dec 20 2017, 08:24 AM)
If you purchased proper engine oil, even though "low standard" (cheapest in the range), still will work fine in your engine. Just that the oil change will need to come a little earlier.

If in the case of those unknown branded oil, possibly have no idea what kind of oil/manufacturing source. Could be though infamous improperly recycled oil. This will surely break you engine.

If in doubt of the various brands and confused, the easiest way is to get those brands that also sell petrol. Maybe a little more expensive, but more assured as these companies have the expertise to manufacture all kinds oil derivative products.
yup even when you buy online..everything from packing to price..all almost the same but the quality may not be the same..
for me been using HX7 for long time and most of the time will buy from Lazada but be careful coz there are many dealers there...me always buy from their official site...after that you can actually select their authorised dealer to change the oil for you...the filter and labour fees is already included in the package..so less hassle la and won't be cheated..can you check out their site here for more details...the price might be a bit price but can assure that the quality of the product and workmanship is genuine...http://www.lazada.com.my/shell-malaysia-official-store/

This post has been edited by Junkyeyns: Dec 27 2017, 06:02 PM
al_madd
post Dec 22 2017, 09:33 PM

Regular
1,359 posts

QUOTE(SKYjack @ Dec 8 2017, 05:23 PM)
Care to give your reasons?

On trying Shell & Castrol , both 5w-30 oils, I find oil level drops with Castrol, half liter for 6months use. No drop with Shell. As such I've struck Castrol off my list.
Agree with you... My wife car... Using castrol edge.. Oil level drop after 4-5months.. Initially i thoughts there is engine leak..
After checked several time at workshop.. There is no leak

But.. For shell, using fully synthetic for 1 years.. 3x changes.. After 5k..engine will not smooth anymore...
SKYjack
post Dec 22 2017, 10:49 PM

Casual
310 posts

QUOTE(al_madd @ Dec 22 2017, 09:33 PM)
Agree with you... My wife car... Using castrol edge.. Oil level drop after 4-5months.. Initially i thoughts there is engine leak..
After checked several time at workshop.. There is no leak
But.. For shell, using fully synthetic for 1 years.. 3x changes.. After 5k..engine will not smooth anymore...
I'm no oil expert, only quoting from my personal experience. From my experience I feel Castrol is not what is expected, appears to be advertisement hype! Shell is not my 1st choice but have certainly performed better on my trials!

I will pay attention on your observation of use after 5k. Tq!
ayamxxx
post Dec 23 2017, 07:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,074 posts

My office colleague had his superbike overhauled thanks to the fake engine oil he bought from accessories shop.

Hate this fake oil still there in our market
N_Silver
post Dec 24 2017, 04:34 PM

On my way
635 posts

Anyone can give suggestion,my engine oil need to keep refill one week at time.currently using caltex 10w-30 and perodua oil.should i change to 15w-40 or 10w-40

This post has been edited by N_Silver: Dec 24 2017, 04:45 PM

277 Pages « < 164 165 166 167 168 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.34    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:34 PM