post Aug 3 2014, 12:31 PM, updated 3y ago

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

user posted image

HOLY

WOW

I have heard of the D-Box motion seats a while back when I was scouting for more advance techs in movies. Was very happy to learn that GSC was happy to pick this up and launch it alongside Guardians of the Galaxy.

Being one of the first people to go through the whole movie on the highest settings (There's 4 of it and an off switch.), allow me to show what it actually means first.

Now then, lets get to the 2 experiences that I had

The D-Box Demo Reel

This Demo Reel, was, WONDERFUL. It did set some of the expectations on how Guardians will feel like. But it was a mix of scenes where you sit in an F1 car (Would have loved to watch Rush with this), a fighter jet (give me Top Gun or How To Train Your Dragon please!), a roller coaster, and finally ejecting from the plane's seat into space.

The feeling is remarkable. With the vibrations, and the seats turning left and right in the car, and the simulation of the speed in a fighter jet with its hard rights and lefts, along with riding in a roller coaster while going down the rails, the simulations are, in my opinion, 75% accurate to the real feeling. I mean, I don't really know how it really feels to be in those things, but hey, at least it does help give the expectations.

I do like the last bits when the "audience" was launched into space. The seat will then smoothly and comfortably make us feel as if we're floating in mid air in Zero G. My girlfriend recommended that I lift my feet off if I want to have the full immersion experience. I kinda agree.

So, for immersive levels, yes, this brings the whole experience to a new level.

On the downside, during the demo reel, the people at the front have NO IDEA what the hell is going on. So for those of you in Hall 3 during the Atmos D-Box sessions, feel free to look back during the demo reel, to see how WONDERFUL it is to be rocking in that seat. hahaha.

On Guardians of The Galaxy

Now that we're done with the Appetizer, lets head into the main course.

Does D-Box work wonderfully with this movie? DAMN RIGHT IT DOES. I can't think of another experience which can top this (Although, would love to watch How To Train Your Dragon with this seat) especially with this movie. The next 2 incoming ones? Not sure if Lucy is that worth it (maybe during car chases), but Into the Storm feels promising (What with the wind and all).

Now back to the movie. The seat doesn't move all the time. During quiet dialogue moments, it stays silence. So you can relax a bit from the intensity of scenes.

but when the dogfights starts, it makes you feel as if you're Rocket commanding the ship during the scene at Knowhere. This scene alone wins. There's plenty of standout scenes (Especially the one with Groot) that makes you feel either you are the characters, or the bad guys being punished.

There is however one part that I didn't really fully enjoy (I still like it, but it felt weird): The hand to hand combat scenes. not that I don't like how Gamora was kicking ass against Nebula. But there were some moments where I liked (getting punched in the right direction, made the seat go right and back) and then there was some that I didn't (Throwing empty punches let me into weird directions, along with parries where the THUMP feeling came out).

but you won't regret being abducted by the Ravagers (At the start where Peter gets taken), or the dogfights, along with the final act.

Would I recommend this to people? Yes. Is it for everyone? NO. I don't believe that. There will be moments where you feel the vibration can get annoying. It wasn't for me. At all. Another issue that you would want to consider is finding the right movie to make you feel the immersion is there. And to make that extra RM 15 worth it. But I'm certain, for movies like Star Wars, or even Guardians, it will feel great. I probably would like to try the seat if Iron Man 3 was replayed, only to see how great it feels to have the armor attach to Tony in his Mark 42.

If anything, the endless imaginative me has been reignited. if you haven't watched Guardians yet, you may have the best option available to you now. Sorry IMAX 3D (Or even 3D in general), you didn't win this time. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Kyoyagami: Dec 17 2015, 06:25 PM
zachozoi
post Aug 3 2014, 01:45 PM

u come at the king, u best not miss
748 posts

QUOTE(Kyoyagami @ Aug 3 2014, 03:31 AM)
user posted image

HOLY

WOW

I have heard of the D-Box motion seats a while back when I was scouting for more advance techs in movies. Was very happy to learn that GSC was happy to pick this up and launch it alongside Guardians of the Galaxy.

Being one of the first people to go through the whole movie on the highest settings (There's 4 of it and an off switch.), allow me to show what it actually means first.

Now then, lets get to the 2 experiences that I had

The D-Box Demo Reel

This Demo Reel, was, WONDERFUL. It did set some of the expectations on how Guardians will feel like. But it was a mix of scenes where you sit in an F1 car (Would have loved to watch Rush with this), a fighter jet (give me Top Gun or How To Train Your Dragon please!), a roller coaster, and finally ejecting from the plane's seat into space.

The feeling is remarkable. With the vibrations, and the seats turning left and right in the car, and the simulation of the speed in a fighter jet with its hard rights and lefts, along with riding in a roller coaster while going down the rails, the simulations are, in my opinion, 75% accurate to the real feeling. I mean, I don't really know how it really feels to be in those things, but hey, at least it does help give the expectations.

I do like the last bits when the "audience" was launched into space. The seat will then smoothly and comfortably make us feel as if we're floating in mid air in Zero G. My girlfriend recommended that I lift my feet off if I want to have the full immersion experience. I kinda agree.

So, for immersive levels, yes, this brings the whole experience to a new level.

On the downside, during the demo reel, the people at the front have NO IDEA what the hell is going on. So for those of you in Hall 3 during the Atmos D-Box sessions, feel free to look back during the demo reel, to see how WONDERFUL it is to be rocking in that seat. hahaha.

On Guardians of The Galaxy

Now that we're done with the Appetizer, lets head into the main course.

Does D-Box work wonderfully with this movie? DAMN RIGHT IT DOES. I can't think of another experience which can top this (Although, would love to watch How To Train Your Dragon with this seat) especially with this movie. The next 2 incoming ones? Not sure if Lucy is that worth it (maybe during car chases), but Into the Storm feels promising (What with the wind and all).

Now back to the movie. The seat doesn't move all the time. During quiet dialogue moments, it stays silence. So you can relax a bit from the intensity of scenes.

but when the dogfights starts, it makes you feel as if you're Rocket commanding the ship during the scene at Knowhere. This scene alone wins. There's plenty of standout scenes (Especially the one with Groot) that makes you feel either you are the characters, or the bad guys being punished.

There is however one part that I didn't really fully enjoy (I still like it, but it felt weird): The hand to hand combat scenes. not that I don't like how Gamora was kicking ass against Nebula. But there were some moments where I liked (getting punched in the right direction, made the seat go right and back) and then there was some that I didn't (Throwing empty punches let me into weird directions, along with parries where the THUMP feeling came out).

but you won't regret being abducted by the Ravagers (At the start where Peter gets taken), or the dogfights, along with the final act.

Would I recommend this to people? Yes. Is it for everyone? NO. I don't believe that. There will be moments where you feel the vibration can get annoying. It wasn't for me. At all. Another issue that you would want to consider is finding the right movie to make you feel the immersion is there. And to make that extra RM 15 worth it. But I'm certain, for movies like Star Wars, or even Guardians, it will feel great. I probably would like to try the seat if Iron Man 3 was replayed, only to see how great it feels to have the armor attach to Tony in his Mark 42.

If anything, the endless imaginative me has been reignited. if you haven't watched Guardians yet, you may have the best option available to you now. Sorry IMAX 3D (Or even 3D in general), you didn't win this time. tongue.gif
thnx for the insight man, heck for extra rm 15 sure will give it a try rclxms.gif

TSKyoyagami
post Aug 3 2014, 05:22 PM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

No worries. Glad to be of service. haha.

Still loved the reaction of everyone on the seat the first time when we finished the Demo reel. The expressions, all smiles and shock and awe. haha.
erald06
post Aug 3 2014, 06:34 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

Okie doke. I will try it out tomorrow. If only this came before Pacific Rim. Lagi syok!
TSKyoyagami
post Aug 3 2014, 06:36 PM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

QUOTE(erald06 @ Aug 3 2014, 06:34 PM)
Okie doke. I will try it out tomorrow. If only this came before Pacific Rim. Lagi syok!
Maybe. But I am not sure to be honest, because I would really want the seat to really have major impact when the Jaegers and Kaijus battle it out. haha.
WaCKy-Angel
post Aug 3 2014, 06:39 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
19,679 posts

Sar zap kor for this?
Pugface
post Aug 3 2014, 06:40 PM

Casual
449 posts

gotta try this shyt man
V3nz
post Aug 3 2014, 06:50 PM

Chuck to teh rescue !!
2,363 posts

I don't need this shit to feel "immersive"

felt like it would be a distraction

but that's just me haven't try it out
Nekochan
post Aug 3 2014, 07:37 PM

Casual
301 posts

so how much is the ticket for this D-box?
cuebiz
post Aug 3 2014, 07:48 PM

Enthusiast
992 posts

Try this out today at 1U..I felt like sitting on those massage chair..The surcharge for it is kinda steep
masterelr
post Aug 3 2014, 07:56 PM

Enthusiast
977 posts

QUOTE(cuebiz @ Aug 3 2014, 07:48 PM)
Try this out today at 1U..I felt like sitting on those massage chair..
That means its good?
I don't mind paying for it since there's probably only going to be a few movies a year that's worth trying it out.
ray148
post Aug 3 2014, 07:59 PM

Casual
425 posts

Kinda skeptical about this tbh as I already experience 4D in Universal Studios.
Will give it a try someday.

Still waiting for 4DX. I really hope it'll be available in Malaysia by the time Pacific Rim 2 releases.
TSKyoyagami
post Aug 3 2014, 08:45 PM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

QUOTE(V3nz @ Aug 3 2014, 06:50 PM)
I don't need this shit to feel "immersive"

felt like it would be a distraction

but that's just me haven't try it out
So... you'd call something shit just because you haven't tried it? laugh.gif
erald06
post Aug 3 2014, 08:48 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

Ticket set and bought! Can't wait for tomorrow!
V3nz
post Aug 3 2014, 11:01 PM

Chuck to teh rescue !!
2,363 posts

QUOTE(Kyoyagami @ Aug 3 2014, 08:45 PM)
So... you'd call something shit just because you haven't tried it? laugh.gif
for now yes, lol
Muhammad Syukri
post Aug 4 2014, 01:04 AM

Enthusiast
767 posts

QUOTE(Muhammad Syukri @ Aug 4 2014, 12:57 AM)
I've tried the D-Box seat. Its more the same experience just like in USS ( Shrek 4D minor the water sprinkle effect). The idea is great but for Guardian of The Galaxy, the extraordinary moment was not there, felt  more like Ogawa chair to make u stay up for the whole movie.  biggrin.gif

I believe if it was done on some 1st person view kind of movie or horror flick, it would be the best. nod.gif
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

TLDR versyun: Dont waste your moolah on D-Box for this movie, maybe wait for upcoming movie like Lucy.
My review for the GOTG. One more thing the head rest is NOT comfortable at all, after half & hour I felt hurt on my neck & it wasnt only me, my friends too had the same issue with it.

Additional on the movie : Sometimes the seat vibration & the movie doesnt sync well enough like the vibrator lagging for about 0.5 second late than the action played on the movie.

This post has been edited by Muhammad Syukri: Aug 4 2014, 01:08 AM
TSKyoyagami
post Aug 4 2014, 09:24 AM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

I'd rather not use the seat for Lucy at all. laugh.gif
erald06
post Aug 5 2014, 12:02 AM

Getting Started
245 posts

Tried it out yesterday. It was funnnn! Love the jet scenes. It was really a different experience! I set my seat on high,lol.
TSKyoyagami
post Aug 5 2014, 09:39 AM

KyoYagami-myed
Group Icon
Elite
1,838 posts

QUOTE(erald06 @ Aug 5 2014, 12:02 AM)
Tried it out yesterday. It was funnnn! Love the jet scenes. It was really a different experience! I set my seat on high,lol.
I paid Rm 32 for that, and there was no way i am seeting it any lower than Max. laugh.gif

But I did notice it readjusted to the third level after the demo scene. Then i had to make sure it was back on Max.
masterelr
post Aug 5 2014, 08:25 PM

Enthusiast
977 posts

Mid Valley and Pavillion will be next to get those seats.
http://www.cinema.com.my/news/news.aspx?se...cominggsc_20623

It will probably be cheaper in Mid Valley since they don't have ATMOS hall over there. ATMOS halls are more expensive, its even more expensive with D-Box Seats in it, and more expensive again if its 3D.

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0250sec    0.76    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 31st July 2021 - 08:01 PM