Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis A few questions regarding Astro IPTV + Maxis Fibre

views

TSpastadudde
post Jul 14 2014, 10:50 PM, updated 10y ago

Getting Started
64 posts

Hi there,

I was wondering if any helpful souls could clear these doubts / queries I have regarding the Astro IPTV + Maxis Fibre Internet package.

I am currently subscribing to
1. normal Astro service (satellite reception) - total bill RM 173.95 a month (RM153.95 + RM20 for HD)
2. Streamyx 1 mb/s + TM fixed line - total bill RM 100

So basically I am paying a total of RM273.95 (BEFORE TAX) a month for Internet, phone and Astro.

The Astro RM133 HD superpack along with the RM 123 (rm25 discount from RM148) Maxis 10 mb/s package plus Maxis fixed line number for RM 20/ month seems like a good deal for me because the total bill comes to RM276 (no tax).

However, I do have some doubts regarding some aspects of fibre Internet, especially because I live in a high-rise (Union Heights , Taman Yarl, OUG, KL).

Here are my questions / concerns:

1. For the Maxis fixed line, is there any need to install new phone wires / cables? Can my existing phone wire / cable (that connects to the wall) be used?

2. I understand that high rise buildings will either have Maxis propriety Fibre Optic Pathways or copper VDSL. I am guessing my condo is using copper VDSL because it is quite an old condo (I will check with the building management ASAP regarding this).

Are there any potential difficulties / problems for the technicians when it comes to setting up Fibre Internet through copper VDSL? Astro said Maxis will supply 15 meters of fibre wire for free but any extra needed will incur extra charges. I would like to circumvent that from happening if possible,

3. I have read on these forums that the default Thomson router given by Maxis is awful with a capital A. Is VOIP still bundled together with Maxis Fibre packages? As i understand, VOIP must be connected to the Thomson router to work.

(I still have my current TP Link WD821-ND router that is still useable and as noted above, I will most likely be getting a Maxis fixed line to replace my TM line.)

4. For canceling my TM phone line and Streamyx line, when should I do this? Before or after the Maxis Fibre and fixed line installed? If before, how many days before the installation of the Maxis Fibre should I go to TM and terminate their service?

I am also confused whether TM will bill me after I terminate my service if it's done say, in the middle of a month. E.g. If I terminate my service on the 15th of a month, do I still have to pay for the month? Would appreciate some advice.

Thank you to whoever who read this really, really long post. I would appreciate any helpful advice! muchos gracias biggrin.gif

Edit: can a mod / admin please move this to the Getting Broadband Sub forum please? I wasn't fully aware of the rules yet when I posted this thread

This post has been edited by pastadudde: Jul 15 2014, 12:03 AM
maxisinternet
post Jul 15 2014, 10:47 AM

23 posts

Hello there,

First of all, we want to be clear that we are the dealer for Maxis Fibre. We are here to try and answer your questions, if you decided to sign up with us, then great. Otherwise, it is alright. No obligation at all.

1. As you are already know, installation at highrise premise is based on the VDSL2 concept. The fibre optic will terminate at your MDF room (probably on the ground floor). The existing backbone (copper wire) will connect the MDF room to your unit. The modem will be plugged into your existing phone socket on the wall.

2. Please refer to no. 1 above.

3. 90% of the installation at highrise premise are considered as "standard". In which case, the RM200 installation fee is waived.

4. The RM20 that you mentioned, is for the VOIP which is optional.

5. We suggest that you keep your Streamyx active until after the fibre is activated to avoid any internet downtime.

Your last bill will be on a pro rated basis taking into account the numbers of days difference between your billing date and the termination date.

Hope the above helps.

Thank you.

smile.gif

QUOTE(pastadudde @ Jul 14 2014, 10:50 PM)
Hi there,

I was wondering if any helpful souls could clear these doubts / queries I have regarding the Astro IPTV + Maxis Fibre Internet package.

I am currently subscribing to
1. normal Astro service (satellite reception) - total bill RM 173.95 a month (RM153.95 + RM20 for HD)
2. Streamyx 1 mb/s +  TM fixed line - total bill RM 100

So basically I am paying a total of RM273.95 (BEFORE TAX) a month for Internet, phone and Astro.

The Astro RM133 HD superpack along with the RM 123 (rm25 discount from RM148) Maxis 10 mb/s package plus Maxis fixed line number for RM 20/ month seems like a good deal for me because the total bill comes to RM276 (no tax).

However, I do have some doubts regarding some aspects of fibre Internet, especially because I live in a high-rise (Union Heights , Taman Yarl, OUG, KL).

Here are my questions / concerns:

1. For the Maxis fixed line, is there any need to install new phone wires / cables? Can my existing phone wire / cable (that connects to the wall) be used?

2. I understand that high rise buildings will either have Maxis propriety Fibre Optic Pathways or copper VDSL. I am guessing my condo is using copper VDSL because it is quite an old condo (I will check with the building management ASAP regarding this).

Are there any potential difficulties / problems for the technicians when it comes to setting up Fibre Internet through copper VDSL? Astro said Maxis will supply 15 meters of fibre wire for free but any extra needed will incur extra charges. I would like to circumvent that from happening if possible,

3. I have read on these forums that the default Thomson router given by Maxis is awful with a capital A. Is VOIP still bundled together with Maxis Fibre packages? As i understand, VOIP must be connected to the Thomson router to work.

(I still have my current TP Link WD821-ND router that is still useable and as noted above, I will most likely be getting a Maxis fixed line to replace my TM line.)

4. For canceling my TM phone line and Streamyx line, when should I do this? Before or after the Maxis Fibre and fixed line installed? If before, how many days before the installation of the Maxis Fibre should I go to TM and terminate their service?

I am also confused whether TM will bill me after I terminate my service if it's done say, in the middle of a month. E.g. If I terminate my service on the 15th of a month, do I still have to pay for the month? Would appreciate some advice.
Thank you to whoever who read this really, really long post. I would appreciate any helpful advice! muchos gracias  biggrin.gif

Edit: can a mod / admin please move this to the Getting Broadband Sub forum please? I wasn't fully aware of the rules yet when I posted this thread
TSpastadudde
post Jul 15 2014, 05:29 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(maxisinternet @ Jul 15 2014, 10:47 AM)
Hello there,

Hope the above helps.

Thank you.

smile.gif
Hi Maxis Internet, thank you for the reply.

I just have one more question.

Since my condo is most likely using copper VDSL, does that mean that the Access Termination Box is connected to the existing phone socket in the wall? Meaning that there is no need to drill any holes in the wall?

Also, my current set up is such is that my router plus my laptop is on opposite sides of the room as the TV. The existing phone socket is on the same side of the room as the router and the laptop. I understand that the Astro Beyond decoder needs to be plugged in to the Huawei ONU via Ethernet, and the HDMI cable connects the decoder to the TV.

Is it possible to fix up the ATB, ONU, Thomson router and DECT phone on the same side as the TV? There is more space and more power points on that side anyway. The only thing is that we would need a long cable to connect the ATB to the phone socket since they will be on opposite sides of the room.

I think this set up compared to putting the ATB, ONU, router and phone on the side opposite from the TV is better because I would have to extend the Ethernet cable all the way across the room to the Beyond decoder if I set it up the 2nd way.

However, I am just worried that may be additional charges incurred e.g. in case the cable needs to be fixed along the ceiling instead of the floor. Would appreciate some advice regarding this.

One more important q:
Assuming I take the rm133 astro super pack, plus the rm 148 maxis fibre package with rm 25 discount, and the rm 20 VoIP service, my monthly bill will come to rm 276. Do I have to pay any government tax on top of this rm276?
[I]
Thank you again for being so patient with my queries. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by pastadudde: Jul 15 2014, 05:52 PM
maxisinternet
post Jul 22 2014, 09:59 PM

23 posts

Hello,

We wish to apologize in the delay in replying to you.

Yes, you are right. Please refer to this diagram for a better picture of the connection for the box and devices.

http://dev.ez-broadband.com/wp-content/upl...copper-vdsl.png

More information here: http://www.maxisinternet.com/maxis-fibre-i...tallation-guide

As for the option of equipment placement, you will have to discuss with the installer and ask for the cost involved, if any.

Over the ceiling cable routing will most likely incur additional cost.

The government tax is absorb by Maxis and Astro at this moment.

But the tax will be imposed on any outgoing call charges that you may have made during that month.

QUOTE(pastadudde @ Jul 15 2014, 05:29 PM)
Hi Maxis Internet, thank you for the reply.

I just have one more question.

Since my condo is most likely using copper VDSL, does that mean that the Access Termination Box is connected to the existing phone socket in the wall? Meaning that there is no need to drill any holes in the wall?

Also, my current set up is such is that my router plus my laptop is on opposite sides of the room as the TV. The existing phone socket is on the same side of the room as the router and the laptop. I understand that the Astro Beyond decoder needs to be plugged in to the Huawei ONU via Ethernet, and the HDMI cable connects the decoder to the TV.

Is it possible to fix up the ATB, ONU, Thomson router and DECT phone on the same side as the TV? There is more space and more power points on that side anyway. The only thing is that we would need a long cable to connect the ATB to the phone socket since they will be on opposite sides of the room.

I think this set up compared to putting the ATB, ONU, router and phone on the side opposite from the TV is better because I would have to extend the Ethernet cable all the way across the room to the Beyond decoder if I set it up the 2nd way.

However, I am just worried that may be additional charges incurred e.g. in case the cable needs to be fixed along the ceiling instead of the floor. Would appreciate some advice regarding this.

One more important q:
Assuming I take the rm133 astro super pack, plus the rm 148 maxis fibre package with rm 25 discount, and the rm 20 VoIP service, my monthly bill will come to rm 276. Do I have to pay any government tax on top of this rm276?
[I]
Thank you again for being so patient with my queries.  biggrin.gif
jeocity
post Oct 13 2014, 10:50 AM

21 posts

Hi maxisinternet,
My location USJ3, link house. I want to go for superpack 4 + fibre 10mb. Please let me know the latest promotion and need to wait for how long for the installation after registered. TQ
zizdnyll
post Oct 13 2014, 10:53 AM

Casual
490 posts

QUOTE(jeocity @ Oct 13 2014, 10:50 AM)
Hi maxisinternet,
  My location USJ3, link house. I want to go for superpack 4 + fibre 10mb. Please let me know the latest promotion and need to wait for how long for the installation after registered. TQ
Superpack 4 +interrnet will bbe rm256, it will taake 2-3 week Forr installation
maxisinternet
post Oct 13 2014, 11:56 AM

23 posts

Maxis Fibre 10Mbps RM148 + Superpack 4 RM133 = RM 281 - discount RM25 = RM256

Please PM us your address in full for service area coverage check.

Thank you.

QUOTE(jeocity @ Oct 13 2014, 10:50 AM)
Hi maxisinternet,
hjh87
post Jan 28 2015, 10:09 AM

Enthusiast
773 posts

To Maxis,

Possible for me to just subscribe the IPTV package only without Internet? Or it must be bundle together?

This post has been edited by hjh87: Jan 28 2015, 10:10 AM
askformore
post Apr 2 2015, 08:57 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(maxisinternet @ Oct 13 2014, 11:56 AM)
Maxis Fibre 10Mbps RM148 + Superpack 4 RM133 = RM 281 - discount RM25 = RM256

Please PM us your address in full for service area coverage check.

Thank you.
Hi Maxis internet, I am staying at condominium too (Suria Jelatek Residence), and the problem is my wall socket copper already installed with Unifi (I reckon my unit have only 1 phone line socket), I wanted to get Maxis IPTV in my unit is it still possible with this condition??

Kindly reply, thank you.
Edward_Phan
post Apr 4 2015, 12:56 AM

25 posts

QUOTE(askformore @ Apr 2 2015, 08:57 PM)
Hi Maxis internet, I am staying at condominium too (Suria Jelatek Residence), and the problem is my wall socket copper already installed with Unifi (I reckon my unit have only 1 phone line socket), I wanted to get Maxis IPTV in my unit is it still possible with this condition??

Kindly reply, thank you.
Hi, sure. You no need terminate unifi first until u install IPTV. If you want subscribe Maxis IPTV you may reach me at 012 6069908 edward thx you
sah147
post Apr 5 2015, 08:13 PM

Getting Started
117 posts

I'm curious, the IPTV guy on the phone said that they will "share" the "TM Modem" currently running Unifi at my house. There's a fibre cable going into the "TM Modem" and one LAN port goes into the Unifi Wifi Router (which then is connected to the Set Top Box for HyppTV)

Since I want to have two decoders using IPTV, does this mean that all three ports will be taken up by Maxis IPTV? (e.g. 2 ports for B.Yond and one for the internet connection)

Is there a diagram somewhere that I can refer to for this? icon_question.gif
Edward_Phan
post Apr 6 2015, 12:20 AM

25 posts

QUOTE(sah147 @ Apr 5 2015, 08:13 PM)
I'm curious, the IPTV guy on the phone said that they will "share" the "TM Modem" currently running Unifi at my house. There's a fibre cable going into the "TM Modem" and one LAN port goes into the Unifi Wifi Router (which then is connected to the Set Top Box for HyppTV)

Since I want to have two decoders using IPTV, does this mean that all three ports will be taken up by Maxis IPTV? (e.g. 2 ports for B.Yond and one for the internet connection)

Is there a diagram somewhere that I can refer to for this? icon_question.gif
PM-ed smile.gif
shaquaint
post Jun 8 2015, 01:47 PM

2 posts

heyy.. please suggest the best internet for z residence, bukit jalil.. budget rm200 inc gst and all, working from home and i stream movies, songs/youtube most of the time (12 hours a day) - download probably about 5 movies a month. Dont play online games. Dont have astro at home
ralfmars83
post Aug 24 2015, 12:39 PM

Regular
1,481 posts

any users here? how the astro quality especially for HD channels? and also the internet speed?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:40 PM