BIS, what is the best internet service?

views

TSBlack Snow
post Jun 28 2014, 08:48 PM, updated 10y ago

Getting Started
63 posts

hye, im new BB user.
just bought BB Z10.
can i know, what is the best BIS for bbz10?
is it MAXIS, CELCOM, DIGI, UMOBILE or others?
searching for lowest monthly price with unlimited.
help me please. thankz. smile.gif
hyperyouth_firepower
post Jun 28 2014, 08:52 PM

BlackBerry enthusiast
1,964 posts

okay, let me ask. What kind of BlackBerry are you using?

Some telcos have "split" plans, some have "all in one" plans. The question is, what do you expect to use your BIS for? Downloading? Tethering? Streaming? Browsing?

More info will be much appreciated.

Wait a minute. Are you using a Z10?

If you're using a Z10, it doesn't matter. BIS will not work on a Z10.

This post has been edited by hyperyouth_firepower: Jun 28 2014, 08:53 PM
TSBlack Snow
post Jun 28 2014, 09:20 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

ouh. if it doesn't work on BBz10, then i need to use normal internet service?
is it like that?

hyperyouth_firepower
post Jun 28 2014, 10:34 PM

BlackBerry enthusiast
1,964 posts

yeah normal internet is just fine. Just watch out for quota as you may hit the quota.
TSBlack Snow
post Jun 29 2014, 07:53 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

Okayhh. Tq for information. smile.gif

eibenstr3
post Jun 29 2014, 09:17 AM

9 posts

Hi! I used my Q10 on BIS on U Mobile. Took the RM34 per two months package. Full service on BIS. Emails, BBM, browsing, whatsapp etc. Good coverage and speed in Klang Valley. They have own service in major cities and outside roams on Maxis.

QUOTE(Black Snow @ Jun 28 2014, 08:48 PM)
hye, im new BB user.
just bought BB Z10.
can i know, what is the best BIS for bbz10?
is it MAXIS, CELCOM, DIGI, UMOBILE or others?
searching for lowest monthly price with unlimited.
help me please. thankz. smile.gif
TSBlack Snow
post Jul 3 2014, 09:46 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(eibenstr3 @ Jun 29 2014, 09:17 AM)
Hi! I used my Q10 on BIS on U Mobile. Took the RM34 per two months package. Full service on BIS. Emails, BBM, browsing, whatsapp etc. Good coverage and speed in Klang Valley. They have own service in major cities and outside roams on Maxis.
but, is it able on bbz10?
because someone tell me that bbZ10 need to use normal mobile internet.

hyperyouth_firepower
post Jul 3 2014, 10:39 PM

BlackBerry enthusiast
1,964 posts

QUOTE(Black Snow @ Jul 3 2014, 10:46 PM)
but, is it able on bbz10?
because someone tell me that bbZ10 need to use normal mobile internet.
The package includes the usage of internet.

Long story:

let me break it down, using DiGi for example (i just jumped from that to maxis, but i'm not on BIS on Maxis)

When I was still with DiGi (as in the telco for my phone), I had to fork out RM66 for Internet, and then on top of that fork out extra RM10 per month (RM30 for BES) for BIS. BIS rides on top of your normal internet because... well, read the FIRST pinned topic "HOW BIS / BES WORKS" and you'll get the FULL idea.

When you're buying the BIS packages for prepaid, normally THEY do come with an Internet quota. That is to say, BIS is the technology that rides on top of your line to establish a secured, compressed connection between your BlackBerry device to BlackBErry NOC servers, where their servers do the heavy lifting, so your data quota on your existing package gets some cost savings because they compress ALL data.

If you look at DiGi Prepaid for BIS packages, if you take the one that I used to remember, I think it was RM38 per month surfing only, you can use the data quota on top of the BIS connection, which is around 300MB. That was true for legacy devices.

Newer BlackBerry devices, the BlackBerry 10 series DOES connect to the NOC for certain features such as the BBM, but it will not allow a full BIS-esque connection, since all BlackBerry 10 smartphones at the moment do not support hardware level data compression.

But it will connect, and the data usage is counted against you.

So if you go back to the postpaid example, if you use a legacy device, without BIS you can't use much of BlackBerry legacy stuffs, but the data will count against you, with or without BIS.

in the newer BlackBerry 10 devices, the data count against you, but it is not compulsory for the phone (in fact, it won't use the BIS handshake) to connect to the NOC on a BIS connection.
TSBlack Snow
post Jul 10 2014, 06:16 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(hyperyouth_firepower @ Jul 3 2014, 10:39 PM)
The package includes the usage of internet.
Long story:

let me break it down, using DiGi for example (i just jumped from that to maxis, but i'm not on BIS on Maxis)
When I was still with DiGi (as in the telco for my phone), I had to fork out RM66 for Internet, and then on top of that fork out extra RM10 per month (RM30 for BES) for BIS. BIS rides on top of your normal internet because... well, read the FIRST pinned topic "HOW BIS / BES WORKS" and you'll get the FULL idea.
When you're buying the BIS packages for prepaid, normally THEY do come with an Internet quota. That is to say, BIS is the technology that rides on top of your line to establish a secured, compressed connection between your BlackBerry device to BlackBErry NOC servers, where their servers do the heavy lifting, so your data quota on your existing package gets some cost savings because they compress ALL data.

If you look at DiGi Prepaid for BIS packages, if you take the one that I used to remember, I think it was RM38 per month surfing only, you can use the data quota on top of the BIS connection, which is around 300MB. That was true for legacy devices.

Newer BlackBerry devices, the BlackBerry 10 series DOES connect to the NOC for certain features such as the BBM, but it will not allow a full BIS-esque connection, since all BlackBerry 10 smartphones at the moment do not support hardware level data compression.

But it will connect, and the data usage is counted against you.
So if you go back to the postpaid example, if you use a legacy device, without BIS you can't use much of BlackBerry legacy stuffs, but the data will count against you, with or without BIS.

in the newer BlackBerry 10 devices, the data count against you, but it is not compulsory for the phone (in fact, it won't use the BIS handshake) to connect to the NOC on a BIS connection.
Oic. Thankz a lot for ur information. Really appreatiate it.
scorponoc
post Jun 30 2015, 04:53 PM

Casual
413 posts

Sorry to ask, Celcom does not offer BIS anymore nowadays?

I usually use my Hotlink simkad in my old 9700 but when I inserted my Xpax simkad into it, there's no more plan like old days 50 sen per day, etc.. 😭
scorponoc
post Jun 30 2015, 04:55 PM

Casual
413 posts

I usually use my Hotlink simkad in my old 9700 but when I inserted my Xpax simkad into it, there's no more plan like old days 50 sen per day, etc.. 😭
KannaSai1
post Jul 14 2015, 09:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,933 posts

QUOTE(scorponoc @ Jun 30 2015, 04:55 PM)

Hotlink bis is the cheapest . Why go to xpax ?
hjh87
post Sep 18 2015, 09:31 PM

Enthusiast
773 posts

Still abit confuse, currently I'm on Biz BlackBerry BB68 which have a 4GB quota of data (using iPhone now). Let say I bought the Blackberry Classic, and use my current postpaid plan. Will the BIS kick in? (or on top of my current package I still need top up for the BIS services) And does this BIS will drain up the quota faster? (if I set the push mail to be frequent).
hyperyouth_firepower
post Sep 19 2015, 10:45 PM

BlackBerry enthusiast
1,964 posts

QUOTE(hjh87 @ Sep 18 2015, 10:31 PM)
Still abit confuse, currently I'm on Biz BlackBerry BB68 which have a 4GB quota of data (using iPhone now). Let say I bought the Blackberry Classic, and use my current postpaid plan. Will the BIS kick in? (or on top of my current package I still need top up for the BIS services) And does this BIS will drain up the quota faster? (if I set the push mail to be frequent).
To your question:

Q: Let say I bought the Blackberry Classic, and use my current postpaid plan. Will the BIS kick in?
A: No, but you'll still run on that 4GB quota.

Q: Do I need to pay for BIS?
A: you can unsubscribe it if you're using BlackBerry 10 devices (This means your classic)

Q: And does this BIS will drain up the quota faster? (if I set the push mail to be frequent).
A: No. In fact if you set it properly you save more data when you use your BlackBerry Classic to view mails. Some of the settings include:

a) prioritizing emails by sender or urgency of the situation.
b) download attachments only if you allow it (or when via wifi, auto download all, etc, these are based on how you set the rules)
c) auto download pics or don't (especially for spam)
d) the push mail will be there, and it won't submit a pull-to-push request unlike Google's lousy services.
hjh87
post Sep 21 2015, 06:37 PM

Enthusiast
773 posts

QUOTE(hyperyouth_firepower @ Sep 19 2015, 10:45 PM)
To your question:

Q: Let say I bought the Blackberry Classic, and use my current postpaid plan. Will the BIS kick in?
A: No, but you'll still run on that 4GB quota.

Q: Do I need to pay for BIS?
A: you can unsubscribe it if you're using BlackBerry 10 devices (This means your classic)
Q: And does this BIS will drain up the quota faster? (if I set the push mail to be frequent).
A: No. In fact if you set it properly you save more data when you use your BlackBerry Classic to view mails. Some of the settings include:

a) prioritizing emails by sender or urgency of the situation.
b) download attachments only if you allow it (or when via wifi, auto download all, etc, these are based on how you set the rules)
c) auto download pics or don't (especially for spam)
d) the push mail will be there, and it won't submit a pull-to-push request unlike Google's lousy services.
Thanks for the info, by the way do u have the exact official blackberry store location in Kl & Selangor? Can't find it through the web.
hjh87
post Sep 23 2015, 08:34 PM

Enthusiast
773 posts

Hi guy, just bought a blackberry phone. Anyway to check whether the device is from brightstar? (using IMEI)??
hyperyouth_firepower
post Sep 30 2015, 08:46 AM

BlackBerry enthusiast
1,964 posts

QUOTE(hjh87 @ Sep 21 2015, 07:37 PM)
Thanks for the info, by the way do u have the exact official blackberry store location in Kl & Selangor? Can't find it through the web.
Sorry, can't help. Not in West Malaysia. Try contacting these guys at http://www.bbugmy.com/ and tell Mr. Nelson that "Badi" sent you from LYN forums. He is a very reputable trader, and does things right.

QUOTE(hjh87 @ Sep 23 2015, 09:34 PM)
Hi guy, just bought a blackberry phone. Anyway to check whether the device is from brightstar? (using IMEI)??
You should be able to go to Brightstar website, though i'm not too sure how to log in for the Malaysian one.
lan76
post Oct 6 2015, 08:06 AM

Casual
316 posts

I'm a Bold 9700 user on Maxis Hotlink BIS. I'm not sure either Celcom is not offering BIS service anymore. Previously, Tunetalk also offering BIS at much cheaper price than Hotlink.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0141sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:14 PM