Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

MAC Address Enquiry

views

TSerik8lyt
post Jun 28 2014, 02:53 AM, updated 10y ago

On my way
683 posts

I would like to give out my computer's MAC address to someone so that the person can help me to access my account. Can the person do something bad with my computer's MAC address?
malim.deman
post Aug 4 2014, 02:23 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(erik8lyt @ Jun 28 2014, 02:53 AM)
I would like to give out my computer's MAC address to someone so that the person can help me to access my account. Can the person do something bad with my computer's MAC address?
kind of confuse why do that person need your MAC address to access your account?

MAC address is actually an identifier of your network equipment. if he has a bad intent, well, he might want to impersonate your equipment by spoofing his MAC address to yours. but i don't think that really matters. other than that, not really sure though.
badai
post Sep 14 2014, 09:21 PM

Enthusiast
986 posts

if it's in the same physical network, or "direct" connection via dial up, VPN, etc, or relay DNS server might need it to allow connection. this is to ensure only valid device is allowed.

no worry about spoofing, every router will always strip it and put their own mac address in the packet.

mac address in only there for legacy reason, when you use old protocol which use the mac address as the node's address, and when there is manufacturing defect where the address is duplicate, you have to throw away your RM300 network card because the shop owner have a hard time understanding your problem.

it's not like your IP address where people can pin point your location, it's like a serial number of you door. just give it away, people will know what company make the door, but can never located it with a serial number.

This post has been edited by badai: Sep 14 2014, 09:22 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0141sec    0.51    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:37 PM