Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

is it still possible to learn piano at 20

views

TSalextanhongpin
post Jun 23 2014, 06:47 PM, updated 10y ago

Getting Started
154 posts

I know most people learn piano when they are very young.

So is it possible to master it at the age of 20? icon_question.gif

dkk
post Jun 23 2014, 07:16 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
11,400 posts

What do you mean by "master it". Good enough to play for yourself, for friends, at your company dinner?

To be a piano teacher?

To be a concert pianist?

http://contentspiano.blogspot.com/2006/02/...ge-0-to-65.html

Tony Cicoria started in his 40s. His case is probably atypical, but most reports says that the injury made him obsessed about it, which made him practice really hard, which then made him good ...
TSalextanhongpin
post Jun 23 2014, 08:11 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(dkk @ Jun 23 2014, 07:16 PM)
What do you mean by "master it". Good enough to play for yourself, for friends, at your company dinner?

To be a piano teacher?

To be a concert pianist?

http://contentspiano.blogspot.com/2006/02/...ge-0-to-65.html

Tony Cicoria started in his 40s. His case is probably atypical, but most reports says that the injury made him obsessed about it, which made him practice really hard, which then made him good ...
haha, good enough to compose my own songs biggrin.gif
jhp
post Jun 24 2014, 11:32 AM

Getting Started
178 posts

why not... music is not about notes on a page.. it from the heart, feeling, something beautiful, music is supposed to be fun... heart + feeling + beautiful + fun = own songs smile.gif
SUSJyunkai
post Jun 24 2014, 08:12 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

Yes. I started at 15 and I know a few people who started in their 20s but they can play circles around me.
pipedream
post Jun 25 2014, 09:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,342 posts

Self learn at 24 here. Been playing for 1 year +

Able to play easy songs like river flows in you (stupid repetitive song, wonder why people like it so much).

But don't expect to be able to compose songs / improvise any time through, that takes in-depth knowledge about how a song works like the relationship between each key signature, chording etc etc.
dkk
post Jun 25 2014, 01:52 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
11,400 posts

QUOTE(alextanhongpin @ Jun 23 2014, 08:11 PM)
haha, good enough to compose my own songs biggrin.gif
You don't need to learn to play the piano to compose your own songs. In fact, you can complete all 8 grades of ABRSM Piano, and still not be able to compose any songs. Sure they teach you the theoretical basics - harmony, melody, rhythm, etc. But you're not actually called upon to compose any song in any of the exams. The aim is not to turn you into a composer. Most of the effort is to teach you to play properly (following the score). You aren't even thought to jam. smile.gif

If you want to be a composer, you don't need to learn to play the piano. You can just use a computer. In fact, you can probably learn all the 8 grades of theory in about 3 to 6 months. Keep in mind that you're an adult, while most of the students taking those lessons are aged about 5 to 15. You will learn much faster. You're more motivated. And your reading comprehension skills are way better. And you know how to take notes, so that you remember what is important. smile.gif

If you want to play the songs you compose ... well, it depends on how difficult (to play) you make them. In fact, most songs can be simplified, or made harder. A person who does not know to play any musical instrument may notice that when you play the simplified version, you're playing much fewer notes. Or they may not notice it, especially if they haven't just heard another person render the complex version.

A year or two of solid practice will get you to the stage where you could play a few prepared pieces to friend and family, without making too many obvious mistakes. They will clap politely, and then talk about other things. To sight read, or harmonize/improvize a song given only the melody (melody on paper, or somebody just sign it for you), don't go to the traditional ABRSM classes. You'll want to look for those "play by ear" classes. smile.gif

This post has been edited by dkk: Jun 25 2014, 01:53 PM
dkk
post Jun 25 2014, 01:55 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
11,400 posts

QUOTE(pipedream @ Jun 25 2014, 09:40 AM)
Self learn at 24 here. Been playing for 1 year +

Able to play easy songs like river flows in you (stupid repetitive song, wonder why people like it so much).

But don't expect to be able to compose songs / improvise any time through, that takes in-depth knowledge about how a song works like the relationship between each key signature, chording etc etc.
For an adult, THAT is not so difficult to learn. Look at it this way. Much of it is so simple, a 5 to 12 year old could learn it. smile.gif
pipedream
post Jun 25 2014, 06:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,342 posts

QUOTE(dkk @ Jun 25 2014, 02:55 PM)
For an adult, THAT is not so difficult to learn. Look at it this way. Much of it is so simple, a 5 to 12 year old could learn it. smile.gif
wokay whistling.gif

still, without proper rhythm one can still find difficulty attempting it.

This post has been edited by pipedream: Jun 25 2014, 06:10 PM
TSalextanhongpin
post Jun 25 2014, 06:19 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(dkk @ Jun 25 2014, 01:52 PM)
You don't need to learn to play the piano to compose your own songs. In fact, you can complete all 8 grades of ABRSM Piano, and still not be able to compose any songs. Sure they teach you the theoretical basics - harmony, melody, rhythm, etc. But you're not actually called upon to compose any song in any of the exams. The aim is not to turn you into a composer. Most of the effort is to teach you to play properly (following the score). You aren't even thought to jam. smile.gif

If you want to be a composer, you don't need to learn to play the piano. You can just use a computer. In fact, you can probably learn all the 8 grades of theory in about 3 to 6 months. Keep in mind that you're an adult, while most of the students taking those lessons are aged about 5 to 15. You will learn much faster. You're more motivated. And your reading comprehension skills are way better. And you know how to take notes, so that you remember what is important. smile.gif

If you want to play the songs you compose ... well, it depends on how difficult (to play) you make them. In fact, most songs can be simplified, or made harder. A person who does not know to play any musical instrument may notice that when you play the simplified version, you're playing much fewer notes. Or they may not notice it, especially if they haven't just heard another person render the complex version.

A year or two of solid practice will get you to the stage where you could play a few prepared pieces to friend and family, without making too many obvious mistakes. They will clap politely, and then talk about other things. To sight read, or harmonize/improvize a song given only the melody (melody on paper, or somebody just sign it for you), don't go to the traditional ABRSM classes. You'll want to look for those "play by ear" classes. smile.gif
wow this is very useful and informative... thanks a lot! do you by any chance know anywhere that offers this 'play by ear' class?
ciwi1166
post Jun 25 2014, 06:27 PM

~~~Prestissimo~~~
2,254 posts

i dunno about age effect on learning. but i just pick song i like and practice until i can play it. smile.gif
14-9-2015
post Jul 1 2014, 10:41 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

i had 4 - 5 years of lessons whn i was a kid. stopped playin for more than 18 yrs sweat.gif !

it just feels good & very, very different when i got reacquainted wif the keyboard in adulthood.

i believe tat adults have got a few advantages over children:

- iron self discipline
- life experience ( contributes to more passionate playing wub.gif )
- bigger hands icon_idea.gif

the language of music is easy. i think its not a problem at all for u to begin @ 20. u just need to put in lots of practice.
hours & hours of practice!

i'm definitely not a musical genius & personally feel that talent has got a lot to do wif diligence.

u just have to really have the commitment to do it. its fascinating to watch others play, but nothing beats playing the piano urself cool.gif

This post has been edited by 14-9-2015: Jul 1 2014, 10:43 PM
AntheMz
post Jul 2 2014, 01:06 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

Age is not the matter, the matter is you want it or not.

i start learn piano @ age 27, i take piano lessons for only 4-5 months, then i give up, and start compose and produce my own music LOL
TSalextanhongpin
post Jul 3 2014, 03:33 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(AntheMz @ Jul 2 2014, 01:06 AM)
Age is not the matter, the matter is you want it or not.

i start learn piano @ age 27, i take piano lessons for only 4-5 months, then i give up, and start compose and produce my own music LOL
rclxms.gif cool stuff you have there, go make an account on soundcloud. you deserve more likes for your work actually
TSalextanhongpin
post Jul 3 2014, 03:34 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(swerg @ Jul 2 2014, 04:01 PM)
my fren, she is 20 also, now part time learning+keep practising at home too mah
if u got a heart sure it is not a hard thing!!
yeah...what the heart wants the heart gets brows.gif
s11hamsans221 P
post Nov 13 2019, 07:09 PM

Probation
2 posts

My grand father learned piano at 72 - so you can definitely get started with doing it now!

Below are best sites, resources to learn piano online in his humble opinion.

BEST 3 FREE AND PAID PIANO COURSES ONLINE:

​

**=>1.** [**LearnPianoIn30Days**](http://1monthpiano.com/) **(I've linked to a review here)**

​

LearnPianoIn30Days is a 30-day online piano lessons program instructed by singer and songwriter, Rachel James, who has got many years of piano playing on the scene, club around the world. She wants to share her experience as well as her piano playing skills for anyone who has the passion of piano.

Details:

Rated: 4.5\* by 9600+ students

\+ Online learning method: monthly membership site.

\+ Free trial in 14 days

\+ Refund policy: 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee

For more details, pls click here: LearnPianoIn30Days online course

​

**=>2.** [**PianoForAll**](http://pianoforall.1monthpiano.com/) **(I've linked to a review I found in Google here as well...)**

Details:

Rated: 4.6 by 16,000+ students

\+ 138,203 students enrolled

\+ Total time: 10 hours on-demand video

Here are detail: PianoForAll online course on Udemy

​

=>3. Free course on YouTube: Andrew Furmanczyk channel

This is a series of lessons that teach you how to play piano for yourself RIGHT from the VERY beginner all the way to the late intermediate/ early advanced stage of piano. These lessons have been RESHOT and these are the new lessons.

Here are the playlist: Learn How To Play Piano (NEW) - YouTube

=>AND BELOW ARE TOP 13 PIANO BOOKS ON AMAZON:

1) Adult All-In-1 Course: Level 1

2) Alfred’s Basic Piano Course for Adults

3) Piano Scales, Lessons with Elements of Basic Music Theory

4) Adult Piano Adventures All-in-One Piano Course Book 1

5) Modern Course for the Piano

6) John Thompson’s Easiest Piano Course

7) Alfred’s Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course

8) Primer Level – Lesson Book: Piano Adventures

9) Level 1 – Lesson Book: Piano Adventures

10) KP1B – Bastien Piano for Adults, 1 Book Only: A Beginning Course