Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Malaysia Beggar - No Soup Kitchen (KL Lot10 ~ 2km), Saman to Donator RM150,OpsQaseh Homeless

views

TSowc
post Jun 19 2014, 06:07 PM, updated 6y ago

Generous in Sharing Knowledge
1,240 posts

The phenomenon of begging was for a long time barely noticeable in Malaysia
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Beggars, mainly from Malaysia, has become an increasingly common sight on the streets, not at least in Bukit Bintang. According to the public, the number has increased sharply over the past five years.

“The trend is that it increases, and it is because we are ignore in their present mostly in cities such as Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur"

Where these people come from, it is about marginalized people living in difficult conditions? Are you sure they are difficult in living or working?

But despite the fact that begging is not illegal in Malaysia, the police and authorities are ignoring beggars by not doing their duty due to beggar is legal in Malaysia.

Malaysia is a Boleh country, a country of freedom of Boleh-land, is the home of the person that lazy to work and begging for fast income. Some beggars prove that they earn more that you and me.

In Malaysia Job as Beggar is not a Crime, feel free to begg. You can see at most flyover, door of the shopping mall, shop-lot, and restaurant, street and so on.

When they start their begg, they will change to poor attire, they even mud their face and skin to convince you that they are miserable and difficulty to living.

They doesn’t care how their jeopardize the image of Malaysia Country, they more likely to begg with the Tourist, and end out Malaysia reputation drop due to those Tourist finish their Tours in Malaysia and write journal and blog to refer Malaysia as Dirty and Miserable country.

Is there any NGO or Government body to collect that Beggar and give them where to stay and provide them a job?

Those children that beggar bring along, may NGO or Government body send them to Orphan house to take care for adoption? They are wasting their life for begging, no education and most important the beggar kid will learn and become a beggar as well.

Why Malaysia has so many Beggars, this is due to Job as beggar has demand. Not even need to study Diploma, Degree or even Master. This Career is proven can earn a living and is not a crime.

The fact is Malaysian culture that is very kind, helping each other, mostly help beggar. If Malaysian saw a beggar on the street, they sure take at least RM1 to their CUP. Some give RM10 even I saw RM50 and RM100 from a generous lady.

This happen mostly in Malay, they are the most generous to “Sedekah” (Donate) this is due to Islam Kitab written that, the one that have normal life must “Sedekah” (Donate) to those unfortunate person. They never offer help to find jobs and provide home for those Beggar.

Most of Beggar does have home, some do have car, they do eat at famous expensive restaurants, and some do have Starbucks every day.

Any idea to help those beggar and make our Malaysia Country looks better?

Original Written by: owc
Jun 19 2014, 06:07 PM (UTC+8:00) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 7 2014, 04:15 PM
dkk
post Jun 20 2014, 08:00 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
11,400 posts

TS, you're just not old enough. Long ago, when we had very few foreigners, when practically 100% of the people in the country were Malaysians, when all the beggars were Malaysians ... on Chow Kit, you couldn't walk 50 paces before stumbling over a begger sitting on the floor.

What happened to them all? How did we get from that situation to that 5 years ago, when there were very few beggars?

When I was a kid, I used to give 5 sen or 10 sen, dropping it into their tins. My parents encouraged me. Later on, in my teenage years, our family stopped doing that. Because we started hearing rumours of what you just posted, about rich beggars. This was 1 to 2 generations ago. The rumour isn't new.

To not encourage beggars, don't give them money. If you're really kind and have the time, take them to a restaurant and have breakfast/lunch/dinner with them. Talk to them. Find out how they came to be begging on the street. See if you can help (not by giving money).
TSowc
post Jun 20 2014, 10:30 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(woody33 @ Jun 20 2014, 02:34 AM)
everyone must be given the freedom of job, thus it is unfair to stop them from being beggars.

as you know they'll be paying GST too so they are also contributing to this country.

although a diploma isn't a necessity it will be value added to have one especially some academic qualifications in acting & drama.

in view of this let's respect their professionalism but having said that i do agree that certain measurements are needed to avoid the oversupply of beggars.
First of all, how they convince us they Begging as a Job?
Does Malaysia Legalize Beggar as a Job?
Even last year I go Penang, the beggar refuse to accept RM0.50, and counter offer at least RM1.00 instead.
Now Beggar already upgraded from Job to Business. Now Beggar most big than others, they can claim any area become their territory.
How the Shop Owner to do business, when in front of their shop line up by beggar, Tourist will not drop by the shop that looks dirty.
This is a huge impact for Malaysia Business and Reputation, Tourist might not return or spend money on their Malaysia Journey.
TSowc
post Jun 20 2014, 05:58 PM

1,240 posts

Maybe Malaysian Government need to come out beggar license system, so that the quantity of beggar are well controlled.
TSowc
post Jun 21 2014, 11:38 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(woody33 @ Jun 20 2014, 07:41 PM)
you ever see people bring along guitar sing song and collect money?
or some do entertainment and collect money?

Beggar is similar but their performance is sitting and sleeping.
sweat.gif You mean that people giving money to beggars because for their street performance? with a cup with dirty outlook.
Azurika
post Jun 23 2014, 10:15 AM

Power to Leverage
1,717 posts

Unless your OKU , I see no reason to help a begger.
For all I care, they could be working at factories, selling nasi lemak, smilling in McD or some other labour jobs.
Most of them are just purely lazy, giving lots of excuses in life.
And yeah, I have personally seen a man beggar in Sri Petaling limping with this walking stick asking for donations in "Alison" cafe, guess what happens after he limped out from the cafe, he walked properly on both legs and carried his walking stick like some kind of waving pole. shakehead.gif
+3kk!
post Jun 23 2014, 10:29 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,143 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jun 21 2014, 11:38 PM)
sweat.gif You mean that people giving money to beggars because for their street performance? with a cup with dirty outlook.
i do if the performance is good

basking is a celebrated thing overseas
Instant_noodle
post Jun 23 2014, 10:54 AM

nyaaa~~
2,774 posts

QUOTE(Azurika @ Jun 23 2014, 10:15 AM)
Unless your OKU , I see no reason to help a begger.
For all I care, they could be working at factories, selling nasi lemak, smilling in McD or some other labour jobs.
Most of them are just purely lazy, giving lots of excuses in life.
And yeah, I have personally seen a man beggar in Sri Petaling limping with this walking stick asking for donations in "Alison" cafe, guess what happens after he limped out from the cafe, he walked properly on both legs and carried his walking stick like some kind of waving pole.  shakehead.gif

do you know there are 'manufactured' OKU?

some mising childrens are trafficed in and out of nation for begging purpose. while females would have certain usage after they reached puberty, males would just need to lose a limb or two for human trafficers' business prospect.

you can call me being too cold-hearted but i will not simply throw my $$ out because i feel pity for them because i do not know who they are, and have no understanding about their background. There are also news about some dude being caught last year, who had lived a lavish lifestyle from begging.
TSowc
post Jun 23 2014, 11:01 AM

1,240 posts

Welfare dept bent on eradicating KL of beggars

THE Federal Territory Welfare Department (JKMWP) is taking steps to rid Kuala Lumpur of beggars.
It is not an easy job because the officers from the department have to deal with various people and situations while carrying out operations.
Often the officers have to use their persuasive powers to get the beggars to follow them while some had to be carried into the truck.
When it involves women and children, female officers are called in to handle the situation.

Federal Territory Welfare Department deputy director Mujah Hamad said begging was now more of a profession.
“People used to beg for food and money. But now even if the beggars have a comfortable home, they still go out into the streets to beg.
“In genuine cases, they usually have family problems so they end up on the streets.
Some of these beggars may be disowned or abandoned by their families,” he said during an operation last week.
A total of 18 beggars were caught under Section 3 (2) of the Destitute Persons Act 1977 in the operation in Chow Kit, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Metro Prima Kepong and Jalan Peel in Kuala Lumpur.

Once caught, the victims are documented and sent to Desa Bina Diri in Kuala Kubu Baru.
The Welfare Department will then file papers in court to get a temporary holding order, requiring the person to stay at the centre for 30 days.
After investigations, the court can order the beggars to be sent for rehabilitation at Desa Bina Diri in Mersing, Johor, and Desa Bina Diri Jerantut, Pahang.
Those aged between 18 and 59, are placed at Desa Bina Diri for rehabilitation and vocational training while those below 18 are placed at the Rumah Kanak-kanak/Rumah Budak Laki-laki under the Children Act 2001.
Those over 60 years with no relatives or caretakers or no source of income will be cared for at Rumah Seri Kenangan.

While waiting to be documented after the operation, several Myanmar women and children were caught begging in Bukit Bintang.
The women with babies said their husbands had left them and they had to find money for the sake of their children.
A young Myanmar girl and her sister who were caught in Bukit Bintang said begging was the only way to get money for the family.
The girl who was born here speaks fluent Bahasa Malaysia and said there were 11 of them at home.
“My mum earns very little to take care of the children and we don’t receive money from the United Nations refugee agency anymore, so how are we to survive.
“Some of us go to school, so we need the money otherwise we won’t have anything to survive on,” she said, adding that begging was the only available option.

The department also picked up some abandoned old people in Jalan Peel based on complaints received.
An old fragile Chinese woman and an Indian Muslim man with poor hearing and vision were seated in the van waiting to be transferred to a home.
The old woman said she lived with her son but he was not at home most of the time.
“I have to resort to wearing pampers and I hate it.
“I had a hard life where I used to sell coffee and often had blisters from the spilled hot water,” she added.

There was also a case where an old Indian man chose to follow the department officers because his children no longer wanted to take care of him due to his unpredictable behaviour.

There were three “colourful” beggars nabbed in Bukit Bintang.
The three men had painted their faces and clothes in gold dust to earn some money.
Mujah, who spoke to the three of them, revealed that they were jobless and were ex-convicts.
They said it was hard to find any job in the city but Mujah assured them that there were opportunities if they were not so choosy.

Senior community welfare assistant officer Darus Hassan, who coordinated the operation, said they had to move fast to nab the beggars to prevent them from running away.
For Darus, some of the beggars are “repeat offenders”.
“I know most of them as I have caught them a couple of times before.
“Each time I place them at the centre, they manage to escape and get back to the streets.
“However, some of them have progressed and live a good life now.

“It is not easy to get rid of these beggars because in some places there are syndicates operating and we have act very tactfully to catch them,” he said.
Darus added that he always prepared the officers before any operation because the beggars would use tactics to get themselves out.
“Usually the beggars will say they have a home and that they are only here for a short time to rest.
“In the case of women and children, they will start to cry.
“But we must be resilient and immune to all of this, otherwise we cannot get any work done.

“At the end of the day, they must be taken off the streets,” he said.
Darus spends his evenings and free time roaming and scouting areas that are hotspots for beggars and tries to save them from the syndicates.

Source

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 2 2014, 12:20 PM
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 10:49 AM

1,240 posts

KUALA LUMPUR: Pemberi sedekah akan berhadapan tindakan saman seandainya 'membantu' pengemis di ibu kota.

Kuala Lumpur: To Who That Donate Money To Beggars in Cities Will Be Summons, Guilt for "Helping" The Beggars in Cities.

Menteri Wilayah Persekutuan Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor berkata, selain itu, peminta sedekah juga akan berdepan hukuman sama seandainya mengemis di tempat tumpuan.

"Pemberi dan peminta sedekah bakal berdepan hukuman seperti denda apabila undang-undang berkaitan kegiatan mengemis di ibu negara diperketat.

"Langkah itu akan dilaksana di beberapa tempat tumpuan bagi mengurangkan budaya meminta sedekah yang mencemar imej ibu negara," katanya.

Tengku Adnan berkata demikian selepas mesyuarat dengan Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur (DBKL) dan beberapa agensi berkaitan.

Jelasnya, keputusan itu antara yang diambil di dalam mesyuarat berkenaan selain perbincangan masalah kebersihan serta isu gelandangan.

Jelasnya, kebanyakan peminta sedekah merupakan orang asing.

"Kita akan ambil satu kaedah di mana yang pemberi kita akan saman dan penerima pula akan kita 'angkut' kerana kebanyakan peminta sedekah ini adalah orang asing.

"Selain itu, badan bukan kerajaan yang memberi makanan secara percuma kepada gelandangan juga akan ditetapkan tempatnya dan tidak boleh merata-rata tempat kerana ini akan mengundang kekotoran," ujarnya.

Jelasnya, langkah itu diambil bagi membersihkan kawasan tersebut daripada peminta sedekah terutamanya di pusat beli-belah Lot 10 dan Pavilion.

“Kata Tengku Adnan, kementeriannya juga akan memperketat undang-undang bagi mengatasi masalah ini, seterusnya merangka prosedur operasi standard (SOP) bagi tujuan itu.

Source

Translated Source

Start Today

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 2 2014, 12:38 PM
bearbearwong
post Jul 2 2014, 10:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,409 posts

Ts becareful... gov will catch/fine/imprison you .. poor beggers.. but it is true.. in major cities.. beggers are eyesore and big tourist turn off.. just like cambodia.. they even ask for us dollars.. haizz
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 11:02 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(bearbearwong @ Jul 2 2014, 10:58 AM)
Ts becareful... gov will catch/fine/imprison you .. poor beggers.. but it is true.. in major cities.. beggers are eyesore and big tourist turn off.. just like cambodia.. they even ask for us dollars.. haizz
Not just catch Beggar, if you are the one that give donation to any that categorize as Beggar, you also face the Summons and will be judge in court. Start Today - DBKL & Tengku Adnan decision.
bearbearwong
post Jul 2 2014, 11:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,409 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 2 2014, 11:02 AM)
Not just catch Beggar, if you are the one that give donation to any that categorize as Beggar, you also face the Summons and will be judge in court. Start Today - DBKL & Tengku Adnan decision.
You are right tengku adan will first blood/first catch anyone right thus moment to show his seriousness..
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 11:14 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(bearbearwong @ Jul 2 2014, 11:05 AM)
You are right tengku adan will first blood/first catch anyone right thus moment to show his seriousness..
If you want to show your mercy by donating those beggar, better watch-out those CCTV or anyone who take picture on you, if your face been spotted with beggar that involving donation rclxms.gif rclxms.gif thumbup.gif
Username_Taken
post Jul 2 2014, 11:18 AM

Getting Started
132 posts

Beggars i can deal with, its those that ask for money in restaurants/mamaks and then curse you when you refuse that i can't tahan.
notoriousfiq
post Jul 2 2014, 11:23 AM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 2 2014, 10:49 AM)
Thank you! Let's voice this out, loud, guys. Malaysians being Malaysians, being brainless and just donate because thinking they're doing something good. Helping the poor. Without thinking.

It's definitely correct that many of this beggars rake in hundreds everyday. I mean, isn't Malaysians known for the biggest suckers in the world? Reminds me of the never ending nigerian prince scam a while ago.

There is a case homeless lady refuse help from govt, wants to runaway from a nice charity home, because she say living on the street is easier. And remember that dead beggar found with cash hundreds in his pocket, and have bank account with thousands in it?
And I wont forget this bast@rd: http://www.mazidulakmal.com/2011/08/pengem...tidak-tahu.html

Sabah is even worse. Child beggars, from illegal immigrant family. They don't stop because not only we don't do anything, but we give! F**k.

Active campaign should be done for this. A news article is not enough. They need to say this in TV if they haven't already (idk I don’t watch TV). Set up soup kitchen, let them help, not pedestrians. Food stamps, not cash!

Us here, we all know this already. So if you have facebook or twitter or whatever, let start a hashtag or something. The least we can do.

This post has been edited by notoriousfiq: Jul 2 2014, 11:23 AM
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 11:25 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(Username_Taken @ Jul 2 2014, 11:18 AM)
Beggars i can deal with, its those that ask for money in restaurants/mamaks and then curse you when you refuse that i can't tahan.
I face most annoying Beggar in my life, that is few years ago at Kepong Perindustrian area.

The Beggar will perform awful Violin with Singing & Dancing at every table at normal restaurants and force me to donate money.

That Beggar will not leave my table if i no give donation, very irritating and annoying that force me leave without finishing my meal.
Username_Taken
post Jul 2 2014, 11:40 AM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 2 2014, 11:25 AM)
I face most annoying Beggar in my life, that is few years ago at Kepong Perindustrian area.

The Beggar will perform awful Violin with Singing & Dancing at every table at normal restaurants and force me to donate money.

That Beggar will not leave my table if i no give donation, very irritating and annoying that force me leave without finishing my meal.
Ah yes i know what you mean.. i've seen those as well, playing guitars and singing. They try to play on the fact people generally try to avoid offending others, so they expect you to give them some money after their unsolicited performance.
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 11:58 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(notoriousfiq @ Jul 2 2014, 11:23 AM)
Thank you! Let's voice this out, loud, guys. Malaysians being Malaysians, being brainless and just donate because thinking they're doing something good. Helping the poor. Without thinking.

It's definitely correct that many of this beggars rake in hundreds everyday. I mean, isn't Malaysians known for the biggest suckers in the world? Reminds me of the never ending nigerian prince scam a while ago.

There is a case homeless lady refuse help from govt, wants to runaway from a nice charity home, because she say living on the street is easier. And remember that dead beggar found with cash hundreds in his pocket, and have bank account with thousands in it?
And I wont forget this bast@rd: http://www.mazidulakmal.com/2011/08/pengem...tidak-tahu.html

Sabah is even worse. Child beggars, from illegal immigrant family. They don't stop because not only we don't do anything, but we give! F**k.

Active campaign should be done for this. A news article is not enough. They need to say this in TV if they haven't already (idk I don’t watch TV). Set up soup kitchen, let them help, not pedestrians. Food stamps, not cash!

Us here, we all know this already. So if you have facebook or twitter or whatever, let start a hashtag or something. The least we can do.
Many years ago, when I am a fresh graduate, I often taking lunch at Vegetarian Restaurant - Jalan Pahang, Setapak.

One day, there was a man so call him self beggar to begg money from me in that restaurants,

He slowly walk into the Vegetarian Restaurants as very slow as he had leg disableability with a stick.

After a serious consideration;

I had make an offer to that beggar, "Eat what you can in this Vegetarian Restaurant, I will settle the bill"

He turn out very angry & decline my offer with scolding bad word, plus hit the table and he was superangry and able to run out of the Vegetarian Restaurant asap. doh.gif Beggar eat meat, will not eat Vegetarian doh.gif want Money do not want Unlimited food sweat.gif

Just because that, I refuse to grand him cash instead I offer unlimited lunch of the day. sweat.gif Good Heart No Good Deed doh.gif

That shows that Beggar are fake leg disableability! doh.gif

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 7 2014, 04:27 PM
NeoMnemonic
post Jul 2 2014, 12:31 PM

On my way
676 posts

The beggars are the smartest people, they get paid without doing any work. They don't pay taxes and even getting gomen support.

But, I do give those real beggars that lost their limbs. Because they do need financial help. No body want's to hire them.

This post has been edited by NeoMnemonic: Jul 2 2014, 12:34 PM
GetMePhones
post Jul 2 2014, 12:47 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(dkk @ Jun 20 2014, 08:00 AM)
TS, you're just not old enough. Long ago, when we had very few foreigners, when practically 100% of the people in the country were Malaysians, when all the beggars were Malaysians ... on Chow Kit, you couldn't walk 50 paces before stumbling over a begger sitting on the floor.

What happened to them all? How did we get from that situation to that 5 years ago, when there were very few beggars?

When I was a kid, I used to give 5 sen or 10 sen, dropping it into their tins. My parents encouraged me. Later on, in my teenage years, our family stopped doing that. Because we started hearing rumours of what you just posted, about rich beggars. This was 1 to 2 generations ago. The rumour isn't new.

To not encourage beggars, don't give them money. If you're really kind and have the time, take them to a restaurant and have breakfast/lunch/dinner with them. Talk to them. Find out how they came to be begging on the street. See if you can help (not by giving money).
Even back when I was a kid, there's always that old couple that kept singing old songs or played the keyboard. Pretty much the same as your story and later stopped because of not really rich beggars but because of who's behind all this begging activity. The only thing that came to a rise in the recent years is scams and beggings in mamak stalls and the likes. The one thing that I found irritating is that my mom is too kind-hearted to wave them off...some of them sell stuff at a high price. What's even more suspicious is that the kid (the scammer that sells things at a high priced) refused the drink my sis in-law wanted to give him, what's more its like he's scared and has a sense of guilt in his face. Probably some big boss was monitoring him at some place.

Hopefully the gov would eradicate begging, there are a multitude of ways to do so...one step at a time, is better than being in a standstill

To date I never donate a single cent to any beggars instead give them drinks or food..
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 12:51 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(GetMePhones @ Jul 2 2014, 12:47 PM)
Even back when I was a kid, there's always that old couple that kept singing old songs or played the keyboard. Pretty much the same as your story and later stopped because of not really rich beggars but because of who's behind all this begging activity. The only thing that came to a rise in the recent years is scams and beggings in mamak stalls and the likes. The one thing that I found irritating is that my mom is too kind-hearted to wave them off...some of them sell stuff at a high price. What's even more suspicious is that the kid (the scammer that sells things at a high priced) refused the drink my sis in-law wanted to give him, what's more its like he's scared and has a sense of guilt in his face. Probably some big boss was monitoring him at some place.

Hopefully the gov would eradicate begging, there are a multitude of ways to do so...one step at a time, is better than being in a standstill

To date I never donate a single cent to any beggars instead give them drinks or food..
Some of those beggar will not appreciate your Food and Drinks icon_idea.gif
GetMePhones
post Jul 2 2014, 12:55 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 2 2014, 12:51 PM)
Some of those beggar will not appreciate your Food and Drinks icon_idea.gif
I am aware of that, though not some but most..
I got laughed at once for giving a can of 100+ to an old beggar near Sogo
its sad to see what this world is coming to..

NismoConcept
post Jul 2 2014, 12:57 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

Apart from punishing them and pushing them to the corner, the Gomen should help them more IMHO.
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 01:00 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(NeoMnemonic @ Jul 2 2014, 12:31 PM)
The beggars are the smartest people, they get paid without doing any work. They don't pay taxes and even getting gomen support.

But, I do give those real beggars that lost their limbs. Because they do need financial help. No body want's to hire them.
Some Evil Organization that involve human trafficking and Debt Collector that unable to collect payment will "Made" normal human to be "Disable" human.

For you and me to sympathy and donate to "Disable" human and money had been collected by Some Evil Organization.
NeoMnemonic
post Jul 2 2014, 01:03 PM

On my way
676 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 2 2014, 02:00 PM)
Some Evil Organization that involve human trafficking and Debt Collector that unable to collect payment will "Made" normal human to be "Disable" human.

For you and me to sympathy and donate to "Disable" human and money had been collected by Some Evil Organization.
well I do aware there are syndicates. But you can tell the difference once you use to give them.
simpletraveler
post Jul 2 2014, 01:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jun 19 2014, 06:07 PM)

Beggars, mainly from Malaysia, has become an increasingly common sight on the streets, not at least in Bukit Bintang. According to the public, the number has increased sharply over the past five years.

“The trend is that it increases, and it is because we are ignore in their present mostly in cities such as Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur"

Where these people come from, it is about marginalized people living in difficult conditions? Are you sure they are difficult in living or working?

But despite the fact that begging is not illegal in Malaysia, the police and authorities are ignoring beggars by not doing their duty due to beggar is legal in Malaysia.

Malaysia is a Boleh country, a country of freedom of Boleh-land, is the home of the person that lazy to work and begging for fast income. Some beggars prove that they earn more that you and me.

In Malaysia Job as Beggar is not a Crime, feel free to begg. You can see at most flyover, door of the shopping mall, shop-lot, and restaurant, street and so on.

When they start their begg, they will change to poor attire, they even mud their face and skin to convince you that they are miserable and difficulty to living.

They doesn’t care how their jeopardize the image of Malaysia Country, they more likely to begg with the Tourist, and end out Malaysia reputation drop due to those Tourist finish their Tours in Malaysia and write journal and blog to refer Malaysia as Dirty and Miserable country.

Is there any NGO or Government body to collect that Beggar and give them where to stay and provide them a job?

Those children that beggar bring along, may NGO or Government body send them to Orphan house to take care for adoption? They are wasting their life for begging, no education and most important the beggar kid will learn and become a beggar as well.

Why Malaysia has so many Beggars, this is due to Job as beggar has demand. Not even need to study Diploma, Degree or even Master. This Career is proven can earn a living and is not a crime.

The fact is Malaysian culture that is very kind, helping each other, mostly help beggar. If Malaysian saw a beggar on the street, they sure take at least RM1 to their CUP. Some give RM10 even I saw RM50 and RM100 from a generous lady.

This happen mostly in Malay, they are the most generous to “Sedekah” (Donate) this is due to Islam Kitab written that, the one that have normal life must “Sedekah” (Donate) to those unfortunate person. They never offer help to find jobs and provide home for those Beggar.

Most of Beggar does have home, some do have car, they do eat at famous expensive restaurants, and some do have Starbucks every day.

As you are aware. This is malaysia. If the PM don't care, no one can do anything.
Do tou know those without arms or legs are work of a syndicate ?
Occasionally ww read of missing boys. 20 years later you will find them among the beggers.
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 01:46 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(simpletraveler @ Jul 2 2014, 01:07 PM)
As you are aware. This is malaysia. If the PM don't care, no one can do anything.
Do tou know those without arms or legs are work of a syndicate ?
Occasionally ww read of missing boys. 20 years later you will find them among the beggers.
That why, we as Malaysia Citizen need to work hand in hand to stop giving Donation "Sedekah" for Beggar and by doing this, we will break this cycle.

P/S: If no demand, there is no Beggar. Beggar is crafted by Malaysia Citizen. By stop pay the beggar, will end the cycle of Beggar and the Evil Organization.

That why Tengku Adnan Step Out and put an end for this.
simpletraveler
post Jul 2 2014, 01:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 2 2014, 01:46 PM)
That why, we as Malaysia Citizen need to work hand in hand to stop giving Donation "Sedekah" for Beggar and by doing this, we will break this cycle.

P/S: If no demand, there is no Beggar. Beggar is crafted by Malaysia Citizen. By stop pay the beggar, will end the cycle of Beggar and the Evil Organization.

That why Tengku Adnan Step Out and put an end for this.
Not possible. Tourists will still pay them. So are those hardcore buddhists eager to buy kamma. Only government can stop it.
Changing BN to PR first slightly easier.
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 02:00 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(simpletraveler @ Jul 2 2014, 01:56 PM)
Not possible. Tourists will still pay them. So are those hardcore buddhists eager to buy kamma. Only government can stop it.
Should call Tengku Adnan catch the Tourists as well, for their guilt to donation for beggar. thumbup.gif
wodenus
post Jul 2 2014, 02:01 PM

Tree Octopus
14,989 posts

True but then we will just bankrupt everyone instead.

notoriousfiq
post Jul 2 2014, 02:08 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 2 2014, 01:46 PM)

Agree. People needs to be educated. Us in this thread, we know already, the people out there is the problem.. Talking among us only don't change anything.. So at the very least, #HentikanSedekahJalanan anyone? Don't leave me hanging.. sad.gif
ChowQing94
post Jul 2 2014, 02:27 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

Buddhists are taught to give donation in form of neccessities like shelter, food and drinks, etc and not money to monks and those in need.

That's the misconception that some people are no longer following these days ._. and continue donating in form of cash instead to an individual, thinking it will help but in actual thought they are just pampering them with easy money.

Not commenting on other religions, just an opinion as a Buddhist myself.

If its for charity organizations, money form is still ok because it may be needed to fund buildings, projects or campaigns but not to individuals.

We shouldn't rely too much on government. They can lead us to a direction but its up to us whether we wanna follow or not.

eksk
post Jul 2 2014, 02:37 PM

Casual
472 posts

i agree, do not just simply give money to others.. the government is another beggar... wanna beg for money through gst .. i say .. get your act together... plug the leakages, then you do not have to beg from the rakyat for money... vmad.gif

really got nothing better to do than highlight beggars on the street? they are the symptom.. what causes them to beg? address the issues then it would not happen... you are closing the pen after the cows have bolted...
TSowc
post Jul 2 2014, 05:26 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(ChowQing94 @ Jul 2 2014, 02:27 PM)
Buddhists are taught to give donation in form of neccessities like shelter, food and drinks, etc and not money to monks and those in need.

That's the misconception that some people are no longer following these days  ._. and continue donating in form of cash instead to an individual, thinking it will help but in actual thought they are just pampering them with easy money.

If its for charity organizations, money form is still ok because it may be needed to fund buildings, projects or campaigns but not to individuals.

We shouldn't rely too much on government. They can lead us to a direction but its up to us whether we wanna follow or not.
Buddha and Islam teaching is encourage the believer to Donate to those unfortunate people include monk.

But, nowadays the beggar had misused the donation for their own goods.

Some Charity Organization only accept Cash, not for cloth and others usable or recycle item or food.

They feel that, receive cash is more easy for them, and a lot people just give, and they take, "Give and Take" thumbup.gif

Some Donation = Compulsorily? doh.gif
simpletraveler
post Jul 2 2014, 10:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

QUOTE(ChowQing94 @ Jul 2 2014, 02:27 PM)

We shouldn't rely such on government. They can lead us to a direction but its up to us whether we wanna follow or not.
You are full of mistakes. I don't refer to monks here. I refer to the beggars. Many buddhists think helping the beggars mean earning good kamma. They are actually causing more beggars and a worse government.
In any matter the government should take the lead, not the people.
The only matter that the people can take the lead is his personal vote in the election.
ChowQing94
post Jul 3 2014, 08:45 AM

Getting Started
199 posts

That's the misconception that some people are no longer following these days ._. and continue donating in form of cash instead to an individual, thinking it will help but in actual thought they are just pampering them with easy money.

QUOTE(simpletraveler @ Jul 2 2014, 10:19 PM)
You are full of mistakes.  I don't refer to monks here. I refer to the beggars. Many buddhists think helping the beggars mean earning good kamma. They are actually causing more beggars and a worse government. 
In any matter the government should take the lead, not the people.
The only matter that the people can take the lead is his personal vote in the election.
Man, dont twist my words. I'm with you here =_=

Those in need includes beggars, and you're just reintepreting my words into your own sentence.

Even if the government take lead, it's we who decide which government to be in charge of a country, thus the leading element in this country can be changed by our own hands unless something else comes and buat kacau.

And by mean of not relying too much of government is that we don't follow blindly on some things as long as we act accordingly to the law.
notoriousfiq
post Jul 3 2014, 09:02 AM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 2 2014, 05:26 PM)
Buddha and Islam teaching is encourage the believer to Donate to those unfortunate people include monk.

But, nowadays the beggar had misused the donation for their own goods.

Some Charity Organization only accept Cash, not for cloth and others usable or recycle item or food.

They feel that, receive cash is more easy for them, and a lot people just give, and they take, "Give and Take"  thumbup.gif

Some Donation = Compulsorily? doh.gif
I agree. To me the one more at fault is the society, rather than the beggars. Who wouldn't take easy money if given to them, right?

Malaysians mentality need to be more educated on this. They give cash to beggars thinking I'm doing something good, and finish. They're too lazy to think beyond that, to really help. I'm not even sure if they're "thinking".

Why no one support me on the hashtag thing? bad move, or is it too lame? Haha
ChowQing94
post Jul 3 2014, 09:04 AM

Getting Started
199 posts

QUOTE(notoriousfiq @ Jul 3 2014, 09:02 AM)
I agree. To me the one more at fault is the society, rather than the beggars. Who wouldn't take easy money if given to them, right?

Malaysians mentality need to be more educated on this. They give cash to beggars thinking I'm doing something good, and finish. They're too lazy to think beyond that, to really help. I'm not even sure if they're "thinking".

Why no one support me on the hashtag thing? bad move, or is it too lame? Haha
Hashtag thing is ok but we need more ppl to start spreading 0-0b
notoriousfiq
post Jul 3 2014, 09:11 AM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(ChowQing94 @ Jul 3 2014, 09:04 AM)
Hashtag thing is ok but we need more ppl to start spreading 0-0b
Well, why don't you start? I did #HentikanSedekahJalanan laugh.gif

Because we can shout our lungs in this one topic, in this one forum, and then whats gonna happen? Nothing.

This post has been edited by notoriousfiq: Jul 3 2014, 09:12 AM
ChowQing94
post Jul 3 2014, 09:15 AM

Getting Started
199 posts

QUOTE(notoriousfiq @ Jul 3 2014, 09:11 AM)
Well, why don't you start? I did #HentikanSedekahJalanan  laugh.gif

Because we can shout our lungs in this one topic, in this one forum, and then whats gonna happen? Nothing.
Nah, my twitter community is not mostly local-based, others wont know meaning ._.

drfeelgood
post Jul 3 2014, 09:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,709 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jun 19 2014, 06:07 PM)

why dont they arrest the embezzlers, the diplomatic sex offenders and religious bigots?
Arrest those who donate? Nonsense umno celakas...

TSowc
post Jul 3 2014, 12:40 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(drfeelgood @ Jul 3 2014, 09:21 AM)
why dont they arrest the embezzlers, the diplomatic sex offenders and religious bigots?
Arrest those who donate? Nonsense umno celakas...
If the beggar sex offense with local citizen, only need to voice out? need wait until have life threatened or death only voice out?

P/S: Malaysian Style - If you no die, no people will care?
TSowc
post Jul 3 2014, 02:17 PM

1,240 posts

Tengku Adnan: New by-laws coming to curb begging and giving alms on KL streets

user posted imageuser posted image

KUALA LUMPUR: By-laws and standard operating procedures to curb alms-givers and beggars in the city streets will be announced very soon, Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor announced Thursday.

"We will not fine them (alms-givers) but when we come across those who give money on the street, we will issue them a receipt for RM150 and take the money, which I will then give to properly deserving people," he said during a press conference to present official appointment letters to representatives on the Non-Islam House of Worship committee in Menara DBKL here.

Beggars, on the other hand, will be rounded up and jobs will be found for them, he added.

"We will talk to them and find out what caused them to live such a life in the first place and try to help them as much as we can," he said, adding that some were also part of syndicates.

He rubbished suggestions that the move was un-Islamic, claiming that even in Mecca and Medina, beggars were cleared off the streets.

"There are proper avenues to give alms such as religious organisations and such. Go to them and donate. They will distribute and do with it as they see fit and make sure it helps the truly needy," Tengku Adnan said.

Source

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 3 2014, 05:34 PM
TSowc
post Jul 3 2014, 03:08 PM

1,240 posts

Tengku Adnan: Soup kitchens banned within 2km radius of city centre

user posted image
No more Free Packets of food is distributed for free to the homeless at several locations throughout the city by Pertiwi Soup Kitchen on several nights a week.

KUALA LUMPUR: Soup kitchens will no longer be allowed to operate within a 2km radius of Lot 10, which covers a large portion of the city centre, effective immediately, said Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

"This activity just encourages people to remain homeless and jobless. There have been many such people whom we have found jobs for, who returned to that life because they said it is easier," he said at press conference to present official appointment letters to representatives on the Non-Islam House of Worship committee in Menara DBKL here Thursday.

He added that the sessions also resulted in littering and this in turn attracted scavengers that brought about diseases.

"We already have all kinds of garbage-related problems in the city and spend more than RM90mil a year collecting it. I do not see my actions as harsh but necessary in order to create a disciplined society," he said.
Tengku Adnan added, however, that the soup kitchens have not been officially notified of this and a meeting with them to discuss it will be held soon.

Source

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 3 2014, 06:12 PM
TSowc
post Jul 3 2014, 03:22 PM

1,240 posts

Ops Qaseh to house the homeless Beggars

PETALING JAYA: At least four hotspots for beggars and the homeless in Kuala Lumpur will be targeted by the authorities under Ops Qaseh, a large-scale operation to get the homeless into shelters and crack down on begging syndicates.

Ops Qaseh, to be launched next week, is set to begin around Jalan Imbi, Masjid India, Central Market and the National Mosque, said the Welfare Department.

“From our previous operations on the homeless community, we deduced that most of them gathered in these areas.

“We are still in discussions with the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry on a final list of locations to search but the operation will begin during the fasting month,” said a department official.

Ops Qaseh is a three-pronged approach initiated by the department and the ministry. It is aided by the police, Immigration Department, KL City Hall and the National Anti-Drug Agency.

Under the operation, the homeless will be taken to Desa Bina Diri (DBD) shelters-cum-rehabilitation centres for beggars and vagrants under the Welfare Depart­ment.

They will be sent to relevant institutions a month later.

The department said it was ready to host the homeless people who would be brought under its care during the operation.

“The Immigration Department will handle those without proper documentation and the anti-drug agency will manage those with substance abuse issues,” said the official.

Most of the homeless are likely to be housed at the Sungai Buloh DBD, which can house 200 people. Other DBD facilities are located in Johor (Mersing), Pahang (Jerantut) and Sabah (Kota Kinabalu).

The halfway homes provide food and lodging, counselling, recreational facilities, healthcare and practical training such as in agriculture, vocational skills and handicraft.

Women, Family and Community Deve­lopment Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim had said the ministry would work with hypermarkets nationwide to hire the homeless once the one-month assessment at DBDs was up.

Source

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 7 2014, 03:53 PM
anti-informatic
post Jul 3 2014, 03:55 PM

Enthusiast
902 posts

In terms of help, we can't really do anything other than offering money or something they need.
In order to deal with the issue of false beggar, usually its better to offer them food or something related to daily need instead of money, else they might use the money for something else.
There are saying that, a true beggar is a person who want food but not money.
Thats why in chinese, there is such label for beggar: 要吃的, literally means "Want to eat" instead of "Want to beg"

Back to the main question,
We need a group or authority with the rights to help those beggar or homeless people, which is adi existed. And i also wish they will help along to, somehow, catch those fake beggar to stop promoting the idea of begging can be something to make a living
TSowc
post Jul 3 2014, 05:02 PM

1,240 posts

Kuala Lumpur has joined the anti-homeless measures with the modern country such as USA

user posted image

PETALING JAYA: With the ban on soup kitchens in the city centre, Kuala Lumpur has joined the ranks of cities that enforce anti-homeless measures.
In the US, 33 cities have blocked meal-sharing or are considering restrictions on food sharing, NBC News reported.

The National Coalition for the Homeless, which shared a draft of its upcoming report with the news organisation, revealed that police in at least four municipalities have recently fined, removed or threatened to jail private groups that fed the homeless instead of leaving the job to government-run service agencies.

In 2012, hundreds of large concrete spikes were installed under a bridge in Guangzhou, China as it was a popular shelter for homeless people.

This earned the ire of Chinese netizens on Weibo, a microblogging website, though city officials denied responsibility for the anti-homeless measure.

Certain locations in other cities are also guilty of discouraging the presence of the homeless, such as inch-high metal spikes placed outside a luxury apartment block in London to prevent people from taking refuge at its doorway.

London mayor Boris Johnson condemned the spikes as “ugly, self-defeating and stupid”, and an online petition at Change.org saw over 130,000 signatories calling for the spikes to be removed.

Activists also poured concrete on similar “anti-homeless spikes” spotted outside a Tesco store in Regent Street, London, which prompted the supermarket’s management to remove the offending objects.

In Canada, spikes surfaced outside the storefront of Archambault, a books, music and movie shop in downtown Montreal, though the company reportedly did not ask for the installation of said deterrents.

Like his London counterpart, Mayor Denis Coderre tweeted his outrage, and the spikes were swiftly removed.

Netizens have also tweeted pictures of spikes spotted in Wall Street, New York and outside a bank in Paris, France.

In a more worrying design development, The Guardian also reported the rise of hostile architecture, where modern city planning subtly excludes certain groups from loitering around public areas.

This can include studded ground-level window ledges to prevent sitting, slanting seats at bus stops to deter loitering and the division of public benches with armrests to prevent the homeless from lying down to rest.

Source
TSowc
post Jul 3 2014, 06:26 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(notoriousfiq @ Jul 3 2014, 09:11 AM)
Well, why don't you start? I did #HentikanSedekahJalanan  laugh.gif

Yes, Tengku Adnan may read the Lowyat RWI on Jun 19 2014 and Tengku Adnan aware the seriousness of Malaysia Reputation, Hygiene, Image, Crime, Syndicate, and many case that is beggar related that Jeopardize to our country, especially woman and youth.

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 3 2014, 06:29 PM
notoriousfiq
post Jul 3 2014, 06:36 PM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 3 2014, 06:26 PM)
Yes, Tengku Adnan may read the Lowyat RWI on Jun 19 2014 and Tengku Adnan aware the seriousness of Malaysia Reputation, Hygiene, Image, Crime, Syndicate, and many case that is beggar related that Jeopardize to our country, especially woman and youth.
I dont get your Tengku Adnan this, Tengku Adnan that, either you promoting the guy, or dislike him in sarcasm, I dont really care, but my point is to educate the public. Authority doing all those, good. But to me, the public plays the much bigger role. Even in this thread got people say "eh why punish those who help, should punish crony, blah blah", imagine those in facebook.
TSowc
post Jul 3 2014, 06:41 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(notoriousfiq @ Jul 3 2014, 06:36 PM)
I dont get your Tengku Adnan this, Tengku Adnan that, either you promoting the guy, or dislike him in sarcasm, I dont really care, but my point is to educate the public. Authority doing all those, good. But to me, the public plays the much bigger role. Even in this thread got people say "eh why punish those who help, should punish crony, blah blah", imagine those in facebook.
The Tengku Adnan that I refer to is "Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor" he is the man that take care of Kuala Lumpur.
He is doing his duty to make our City better, Cleaner, Safer, Looks Good, Feel Good
TSowc
post Jul 3 2014, 11:35 PM

1,240 posts

There is some Opposition demonstration that 'Close the rumah urut, rumah ayam ...not soup kitchens good to promote Beggars & Homeless"

PETALING JAYA: Netizens gave an overwhelming no to the move to stop soup kitchens in the Bukit Bintang area.

Heartless, inhumane and short-sighted, they said, of the proposal to stop Kuala Lumpur’s homeless from receiving free food.

This came about after Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said soup kitchens will no longer be allowed to operate

within a 2km radius of the city centre.

Netizens on Facebook decried the announcement, with hundreds giving the thumbs-up to Fendi Ahmad, who urged the authorities to focus on eradicating vice instead of curbing charitable activities.

“You should close all the pub/rumah urut (massage parlours)/rumah ayam (prostitution dens). Not soup kitchen la…” wrote Fendi.

Varian Especkerman issued a challenge with his bold question: “Who are you to stop me from feeding my brother?”

Tengku Adnan’s statement that soup kitchens encouraged homelessness and joblessness was dismissed by Lavinia Lo: “It's there to feed those who are unfortunate. It's just some people who will take advantage of the kindness to remain stagnant in their lives instead of making the effort to move on because hey, free food.”

On the claim that soup kitchens caused littering and encouraged scavenging, Alvin Kanniah called for compassionate policy-making decisions based on factual findings: “How convenient to pin "garbage-related problems in the city" on the homeless and jobless! I'm sure you've got data to support this right?”

Instead of penalising those who care about their fellow man, Rohaiza Basir wants the authorities to solve the homelessness problem, while Kah Yan urged the minister to volunteer with soup kitchens to fully understand their positive impact on the lives of the homeless.

“So that he can understand what is the purpose of soup kitchen in the city. It is more like a platform to communicate with the homeless and bring them back to the right track of their life, than just giving them food,” she added.

In Lindsay Smith’s view, every country in the developed world allowed the operation of soup kitchens: “Just because you hide it doesn't make the problem go away. Only employment and subsidised housing can do that.”

Jay Blanche termed the move shameful and short-sighted, especially during the charitable month of Ramadan: “Poverty and hunger are not crimes, but do lead to crime if you don't help those in need.”

Neither is such a ban a Malaysian way, said Parwaiz Win: “Where is the compassion? Eradicate the cause of beggars and homeless people, not hinder those who are giving them a helping hand.”

Many questioned what the Government had proposed to do to help those without a roof over their heads, with Lenny Roy and Yu Meng He wondering if the underprivileged would be provided with jobs and shelter.

A failure to provide the needy with sufficient help would be akin to “pouring chili to their pain,” said Chen Yean.

Though the move’s detractors greatly outnumbered its supporters, some netizens favoured the announcement.

“In a way, I do agree but our authorities needed to set up halfway house to help keep tab of these homeless,” said Johnny Lum.

Napsiah Wan Salleh hoped the ministry would not reverse gear on the tough measure: “Soup kitchens do encourage homeless by choice people. Malaysia imports foreign workers by the millions and still there are jobless Malaysians who rely on soup kitchen?”

Related articles:

KL soup kitchens rail against City Hall ban

New by-laws coming to curb begging and giving alms on KL streets

Source

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 4 2014, 12:08 AM
TSowc
post Jul 3 2014, 11:52 PM

1,240 posts

Opposition MPs oppose decision on soup kitchens

user posted image

Segambut MP Lim Lip Eng: ask the Government to postpone next week's Ops Qaseh until they have conducted proper dialogues with non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in the city.

“We all want to achieve a common goal of having a better city. I don’t think any reasonable person wants to be a beggar and depend on others to survive.

“There must be an underlying reason why they are in that situation,” he told the Star Online.

Ops Qaseh is a large-scale operation to get the homeless into shelters and crack down on begging syndicates. It is to be launched next week.

In relation to the operation, Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor announced that soup kitchens would not be allowed within a two kilometre-radius of Lot 10 from Monday onwards.

He claimed that the activity encouraged people to remain homeless and jobless, with an added result of litter and disease-carrying scavengers.

Lim said that if the government insisted on carrying on with the Ops Qaseh, they should inform either the NGOs or the Bar Council the location of those who were arrested.

“We can provide our legal services to those who have been arrested,” he said.

Lembah Pantai MP Nurul Izzah Anwar meanwhile urged Adnan is to join the soup kitchens for at least three days to learn about the homeless and before making decisions to ban the kitchens from operating.

“I invite the minister to join me or a soup kitchen that is operating tomorrow night. We must have empathy, more especially if you are a leader,” she said in a statement.

She also questioned if such a decision was appropriate given its timing during Ramadhan.

Cheras MP Tan Kok Wai claimed that the authorities should have met with the soup kitchens before issuing an ultimatum.

“Adnan should see how best he could help these NGOs. On one side, they are not helping the poor and on the other side, they are stopping the kind-hearted people from helping them,” he said.

He also asked if Adnan had statistics to back up his claim that these soup kitchens were the cause of homelessness.
“The root of the problem is urban poverty and the minister shouldn’t evade their responsibilities as government leaders to solve it,” he said.

Source

TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 12:05 AM

1,240 posts

Kechara Welfare Centre will stop its soup kitchen but continue with other forms of assistance to the homeless.

user posted image

PETALING JAYA: Kechara Welfare Centre will stop its soup kitchen but continue with other forms of assistance to the homeless.

Project director Justin Cheah said in a statement that Malaysians should not forget their ethical and moral obligations to fellow Malaysians.

"Homelessness is a complex issue and will not be resolved with simple solutions.

"To reduce its cause to mere laziness does not paint a true understanding of the issue and any solutions will ultimately not be effective.

"Removing the work of the soup kitchens and welfare centres will not solve the problem of homelessness instead, it will move the problem to other states because these people will not become independent just because they stopped receiving a few free meals each week," he said.

Cheah was responding to a statement from Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor that soup kitchens will no longer be allowed to operate within a 2km radius of the city centre.

Cheah said through the soup kitchens, Kechara had expanded to assisting people with job placements, medical care, food banks, and assisted by placing people at welfare or senior citizens' homes.

"Many of our clients are low income earners who are unable to afford food and rental and they come to us for their daily meals.

"Some were sexually abused and had to leave their homes while others were drug addicts or elderly parents who were abandoned," he said.

He added Kechara was happy to continue working with the leaders to address the issue of homelessness.

"At the end of the day the only permanent solution is to have the homeless find jobs and Kechara has always been here since day one to help them.

"This is not about who is right or wrong as the real issue are the lives of the men and women we are dealing with, who have lost all hope to survive, and to ever regain their dignity," he added.

Related articles:

Tengku Adnan: Soup kitchens banned within 2km radius of city centre

KL soup kitchens rail against City Hall ban

'Close the rumah urut, rumah ayam ...not soup kitchens"

Source
simpletraveler
post Jul 4 2014, 12:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 2 2014, 11:02 AM)
True or not ?
You mean giving money to beggar considered a crime now ?

This post has been edited by simpletraveler: Jul 4 2014, 12:28 AM
TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 12:31 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(simpletraveler @ Jul 4 2014, 12:27 AM)
True or not ?
You mean giving money to beggar considered a crime now ?
Yes, Correct, I had include many Source that support my word icon_rolleyes.gif if want mercy give money to beggar, better don't let CCTV, Camera, Camera Phone taken doh.gif plus need avoid police and DBKL personal as well

Fine of RM150 for the offender. thumbup.gif
simpletraveler
post Jul 4 2014, 12:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

QUOTE(notoriousfiq @ Jul 3 2014, 09:02 AM)

Malaysians mentality need to be more educated on this.
Yours should be educated first.
Beggars existence blame on soceity ?
You should blame the government for not removing them and allowing them.
notoriousfiq
post Jul 4 2014, 05:20 AM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 3 2014, 06:41 PM)
The Tengku Adnan that I refer to is "Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor" he is the man that take care of Kuala Lumpur.
He is doing his duty to make our City better, Cleaner, Safer, Looks Good, Feel Good
I know. But the way you said it in your several posts. Tengku Adnan this, Tengku Adann that, sounds somewhat peculiar, but whatever. Dont turn this into an issue.. haha
notoriousfiq
post Jul 4 2014, 05:37 AM

On my way
513 posts

If truly you have this "mercy", truly want to help, give food lah, or direct them to the charity body, better yet, report to charity body to pick them up, they'll have better place. Thats true help. You give them cash, and you think you're doing good? You done your part? You have mercy, you such a nice guy? Thats doh.gif
Instant_noodle
post Jul 4 2014, 09:28 AM

nyaaa~~
2,774 posts

can i have a situation where i developed a short term memory lost when $$ in my hand 'accidentally' dropped to the ground, while a beggar is just conveniently close to me?

you all know laaaa, we can see it from the fact that every year there are huge $$ squandering activities but all of them are just 'overpriced'... so the scenario i mentioned is justifiable wat...
TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 10:09 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(notoriousfiq @ Jul 4 2014, 05:20 AM)
I know. But the way you said it in your several posts. Tengku Adnan this, Tengku Adann that, sounds somewhat peculiar, but whatever. Dont turn this into an issue.. haha
brows.gif Correct your word, Tengku Adnan this, Tengku Adann that is the news said d, please verified all my post, all have source.
Nothing personal, drool.gif no others meaning icon_idea.gif

I don't care who is Tengku Anan, he stated he will give the job, give place to stay, give food, give training and counseling to beggar and homeless to lesser the syndicate in Bukit Bintang, plus lesser rubbish he added.

Why not? we will have a better city thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 4 2014, 10:16 AM
NismoConcept
post Jul 4 2014, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

So, by banning Soup Kitchen in KL and sweeping away these homeless beggers out of the city will solve the issue?
They will migrate to other nearby cities and the same problem will repeat itself. Why can't the gomen think deeper in solving the problem at least?
Looks like they focus on the problem and not solution.

This post has been edited by NismoConcept: Jul 4 2014, 10:18 AM
TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 10:35 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(NismoConcept @ Jul 4 2014, 10:17 AM)
So, by banning Soup Kitchen in KL and sweeping away these homeless beggers out of the city will solve the issue?
They will migrate to other nearby cities and the same problem will repeat itself. Why can't the gomen think deeper in solving the problem at least?
No, Government not just closing the soup kitchen only, but suggest to moved out 2km from Bukit Bintang.
Government do offer them the place to stay, training, food, job at government center.

That why Ops Qaseh Homeless come in next week, to settle all their hunger, job, stay, skill, counseling and more.
They will get dress up, clean up (Bath), had their Dream JOB.

Kip in mind, Malaysia lowest salary is around RM1000, if they have place to stay by government, and job is secure?
why need to beggar anymore?

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 5 2014, 11:43 AM
NismoConcept
post Jul 4 2014, 10:37 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 4 2014, 11:35 AM)
No, Government not closing the soup kitchen only.
Government do offer them the play to stay, training, food, job at government center.
Let's see how long it will last. On surface it looks real good and nice with place to stay, training etc.
TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 10:39 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(NismoConcept @ Jul 4 2014, 10:37 AM)
Let's see how long it will last. On surface it looks real good and nice with place to stay, training etc.
Don't be brainwash by those politic personal. doh.gif think simple, don't complicated icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 4 2014, 10:40 AM
NismoConcept
post Jul 4 2014, 10:44 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 4 2014, 11:39 AM)
Don't be brainwash by those politic personal. doh.gif think simple, don't complicated  icon_rolleyes.gif
No, I'm saying it based on experienced not brain wash by others. In my area there was a project in 2004 to build Medan Selera (food courts) in few areas but until now 2014 only the signboard can be seen.

Anyway jz wait and see how it goes and hope for the best.
TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 12:38 PM

1,240 posts

The Council of Churches of Malaysia Youth (CCM Youth) is against anti-homeless measures & to promote homeless and beggar in cities

Source
TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 02:10 PM

1,240 posts

FT Ministry: One-stop centres for homeless to be set up in the city

PETALING JAYA: One-stop centres will be set up around KL to provide shelter for the city’s poor and homeless.

The Federal Territories Ministry, in a statement on its official blog, said that it had collaborated with the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to identify suitable locations for the centres.

“These centres will possess shelters with the ‘Anjung Singgah’ concept in addition to serving as an integrated registration centre for the homeless. It will include other facilities such as healthcare,” read the statement.

The Ministry added that it, along with DBKL would not have announced measures such as imposing fines on alms-givers and bans on soup kitchens if it did not have logical alternatives.

“There should no longer be questions on the Ministry and DBKL wanting to halt the activities of any parties such as NGOs from donating and helping the poor.

“It is important to consider the methods and locations currently being practised, with the possibility of problems such as food poisoning due to filth and unsightly views in tourist- centric areas,” it said.

On Thursday, Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor announced that soup kitchens would be banned from operating within a 2km radius of Lot 10.

Tengku Adnan later clarified the earlier announcement in a post on his Facebook page stating that his intentions were misunderstood but that he was willing to accept all the opinions on the matter.

“I am not barring people from continuing their voluntary work of serving and aiding the homeless and the poor and I am well aware of all the harsh criticisms which have been directed towards me over this issue.
The minister said he hoped that people would take a moment to understand that he was trying to clean up the city.

Source
simpletraveler
post Jul 4 2014, 02:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

It's all acting....they created the problems in the first place.
If a country is clean from cronyism corruption and crimes, there will be no beggars. Do you see beggars in singapore ?
simpletraveler
post Jul 4 2014, 02:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 4 2014, 12:38 PM)
The Council of Churches of Malaysia Youth (CCM Youth) is against anti-homeless measures & to promote homeless and beggar in cities

Source
It's all politics where everyone pretend to be kind but contributed nothing...
notoriousfiq
post Jul 4 2014, 02:30 PM

On my way
513 posts

Yes, what owc said.

I also want to add, one of the govt's main objectives is to move the beggars from city centre. I hope they add to their main objectives the initiative to educate the public. When the people are not clear, we'll hear the arguments we see here, suddenly go to cronism lah, donate to beggar is nothing wrong lah, and also like the soup kitchen operator who said "littering is not a problem", well yea, its not the main problem, she dont get the whole point.
TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 02:44 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(notoriousfiq @ Jul 4 2014, 02:30 PM)
Yes, what owc said.

I also want to add, one of the govt's main objectives is to move the beggars from city centre. I hope they add to their main objectives the initiative to educate the public. When the people are not clear, we'll hear the arguments we see here, suddenly go to cronism lah, donate to beggar is nothing wrong lah, and also like the soup kitchen operator who said "littering is not a problem", well yea, its not the main problem, she dont get the whole point.
Correct your word, OWC does not said anything, please refer to the source that OWC provide.
Sue you if you simply accuse OWC!
TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 02:59 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(simpletraveler @ Jul 4 2014, 02:22 PM)
It's all acting....they created the problems in the first place.
If a country is clean from cronyism corruption and crimes, there will be no beggars. Do you see beggars in singapore ?
Singapore citizen will no pay to beggar, they will ask the beggar go take money from Singapore Government, due to Singaporean said that Singaporean are tax payer. So, ask the beggar don't to bother to begging citizen and go direct to Government to receive further assistant.
duHwaN
post Jul 4 2014, 05:04 PM

Nope
1,583 posts

A lot of damage control ongoing here. Taxpayers' money at work yo.

The knee jerk reactions afterwards are all show to salvage the situation.
TSowc
post Jul 4 2014, 06:28 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(duHwaN @ Jul 4 2014, 05:04 PM)
A lot of damage control ongoing here. Taxpayers' money at work yo.

The knee jerk reactions afterwards are all show to salvage the situation.
Beggar now no need working, now free soup kitchen, able to stay at government shelter, a lot of NGO support on money, grocery, medical, all free.

Now they able to freely at street to perform begging performance, as additional income.

Besides, They get BR1M, and a lot fund from government and NGO every month.

They not even needs to purchase anything no GST, not even needs of deduction PCB of income tax directly from salary. icon_rolleyes.gif

They get Takaful protected, if death or accident from BR1M, thumbup.gif

I think need to consider to quit my job, rented out my house for income and moved to government or NGO house for Homeless.

Cut all insurance, stop pay my debt, bring my kitty to government or NGO house for Homeless.

No need working so hard, life easy no need, no need pay debt, no need work whistling.gif

You all PCB Tax payer, GST payer feed me well brows.gif
drfeelgood
post Jul 4 2014, 08:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,709 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 3 2014, 02:17 PM)
Tengku Adnan: New by-laws coming to curb begging and giving alms on KL streets

KUALA LUMPUR: By-laws and standard operating procedures to curb alms-givers and beggars in the city streets will be announced very soon, Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor announced Thursday.

"We will not fine them (alms-givers) but when we come across those who give money on the street, we will issue them a receipt for RM150 and take the money, which I will then give to properly deserving people," he said during a press conference to present official appointment letters to representatives on the Non-Islam House of Worship committee in Menara DBKL here.

Beggars, on the other hand, will be rounded up and jobs will be found for them, he added.

"We will talk to them and find out what caused them to live such a life in the first place and try to help them as much as we can," he said, adding that some were also part of syndicates.

He rubbished suggestions that the move was un-Islamic, claiming that even in Mecca and Medina, beggars were cleared off the streets.

"There are proper avenues to give alms such as religious organisations and such. Go to them and donate. They will distribute and do with it as they see fit and make sure it helps the truly needy," Tengku Adnan said.

Source
This arrogant pompous umno criminal is also a heartless monster. Thank you 47% monkey malaysians for voting umno. Syukur umno celaka.
duHwaN
post Jul 4 2014, 09:30 PM

Nope
1,583 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 4 2014, 06:28 PM)
Beggar now no need working, now free soup kitchen, able to stay at government shelter, a lot of NGO support on money, grocery, medical, all free.

Now they able to freely at street to perform begging performance, as additional income.

Besides, They get BR1M, and a lot fund from government and NGO every month.

They not even needs to purchase anything no GST, not even needs of deduction PCB of income tax directly from salary. icon_rolleyes.gif

They get Takaful protected, if death or accident from BR1M,  thumbup.gif

I think need to consider to quit my job, rented out my house for income and moved to government or NGO house for Homeless.

Cut all insurance, stop pay my debt, bring my kitty to government or NGO house for Homeless.

No need working so hard, life easy no need, no need pay debt, no need work  whistling.gif

You all PCB Tax payer, GST payer feed me well  brows.gif
Thank you for confirming.

If you think your dignity is worth the trade for the "easy" life on the streets, by all means go ahead.
tengkuwazir
post Jul 4 2014, 10:01 PM

26 posts

Tengku Adnan's daughter does not seem to share the same beliefs as her dad:

http://www.hotcourses.com.my/study-in-the-...ick-university/

She has her own perspective on how to develop a nation and its society.
TSowc
post Jul 5 2014, 11:56 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(duHwaN @ Jul 4 2014, 09:30 PM)
Thank you for confirming.

If you think your dignity is worth the trade for the "easy" life on the streets, by all means go ahead.
user posted image"dignity" ? maruah ? 有骨气?

I do not think that, "dignity" worth money, so do some fake beggar.

People willing to sacrifice their "dignity" to get something that their dream of.

Example:
I sacrifice my "dignity" to be married to Royal Family,
I sacrifice my "dignity" for my famous & to get project and became product ambassador & sponsorship,
I sacrifice my "dignity" and cry in public & press conference to get famous and get Datuk title.
I sacrifice my "dignity" for getting money, food, house & freedom without work, no gst, no pcb, is totally freedom

P/S: How much worth for a "dignity" ?

For example: how much is your price, if you think your price = 1million USD, if people offer you 1million USD for exchange of your "dignity", will you do what ever to sacrifice your "dignity"?

user posted imageLike this 1million USD want? thumbup.gif some do want it icon_rolleyes.gif

People say: they dare do something like that = they already don't bother their own "dignity" already, why you care for?

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 5 2014, 12:48 PM
simpletraveler
post Jul 5 2014, 12:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 4 2014, 02:59 PM)
Singapore citizen will no pay to beggar, they will ask the beggar go take money from Singapore Government, due to Singaporean said that Singaporean are tax payer. So, ask the beggar don't to bother to begging citizen and go direct to Government to receive further assistant.
If you give it a more serious thoughts.....
Why malaysian government allows beggars, why poverty and poor people exist in Malaysia and not Singapore ?
Why so many crippled beggars in Malaysia and not Singapore ?
They must have been part of a plan.

Think....
ReWeR
post Jul 5 2014, 12:19 PM

Foreveralone
1,694 posts

QUOTE(dkk @ Jun 20 2014, 08:00 AM)

I agree, help should be given to make them able to come back to society (or at least has a shelter), and not swept them under the carpet.
TSowc
post Jul 7 2014, 10:57 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(ReWeR @ Jul 5 2014, 12:19 PM)
I agree, help should be given to make them able to come back to society (or at least has a shelter), and not swept them under the carpet.
I agree with you also, we (NGO and Government) need work hand in hand to fix the beggar issue permanently.

We cannot just give them donation and food & leave them homeless and jobless.

We need a permanent solution on how to bring those misfortune people to normal life.

Hence, need to study and workout a plan for those misfortune people, to offer them shelter, food, loan, job, training, counseling, medical care, social care, arrange personal helper to guide them & encourage them & give them motivation plus all the helps that they need.

user posted image

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 7 2014, 11:00 AM
ReWeR
post Jul 7 2014, 11:08 AM

Foreveralone
1,694 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 7 2014, 10:57 AM)
I agree with you also, we (NGO and Government) need work hand in hand to fix the beggar issue permanently.

We cannot just give them donation and food & leave them homeless and jobless.

We need a permanent solution on how to bring those misfortune people to normal life.

Hence, need to study and workout a plan for those misfortune people, to offer them shelter, food, loan, job, training, counseling, medical care, social care, arrange personal helper to guide them & encourage them & give them motivation plus all the helps that they need.

user posted image
+1, but i dun think it's going to be easy.
TSowc
post Jul 7 2014, 11:32 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(ReWeR @ Jul 7 2014, 11:08 AM)
+1, but i dun think it's going to be easy.
No matter easy or hard, we need to do it, if not this beggar's syndrome will be in Malaysia forever! doh.gif
TSowc
post Jul 7 2014, 02:22 PM

1,240 posts

ISA alike law will be enforce to Detaining Homeless Against - Under Destitute Persons Act (DPA)

user posted image

MP SPEAKS The homeless in Kuala Lumpur will be facing a serious threat to their freedom starting on Monday with the start of “Ops Qaseh” which is being led by the Ministry of Women, Family and Community Development.

user posted image

The minister, Rohani Abdul Karim (Top), was reported to have said that this will be a ‘comprehensive’ operation to “ensure that there are no more Malaysians begging and wandering around the streets without getting the appropriate protection”.

Furthermore, the minister is reported to have said that the homeless will be “be given care and rehabilitation for three years and can be released early under two conditions, as per Section 8(1) of the Destitute Persons Act 1977".

These conditions are: "The authorities are satisfied that the resident has obtained appropriate work to sustain themselves or has been released to someone who can support and take care of them”.

Under this Act, a destitute person means:

(a) Any person found begging in a public place in such a way as to cause or to be likely to cause annoyance to persons frequenting the place or otherwise to create a nuisance; or

(b) Any idle person found in a public place, whether or not he is begging, who has no visible means of subsistence or place of residence or is unable to give a satisfactory account of himself .

A homeless person who is not begging would fall under category (b) of a destitute person under this Act.

Can be held for up to six years

Section 3 of the Destitute Persons Act (DPA) 1977 allows a magistrate to require a destitute person to reside in a welfare home for up to one month.

Section 4 of the DPA allows a magistrate, based on the recommendation of a social welfare officer, to order a destitute person to remain in a welfare home for up to three years and this order can be extended for another three years.

user posted image

This means that a homeless person can be detained against his or her will for a period lasting up to six years!

Furthermore, the minister was reported to have said that those rounded up (Kena Tangkap) under Ops Qaseh will not be released until they have found suitable employment or someone volunteers to take care of them including providing them with housing as per Section 8 (1) of the DPA.

Source

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 7 2014, 06:11 PM
TSowc
post Jul 7 2014, 05:44 PM

1,240 posts

Rohani: Govt is grateful towards soup kitchens

user posted image

PUTRAJAYA: The government is grateful towards soup kitchens for providing food for the homeless and the needy, Women, Family, and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim (pix) said today.

However, Rohani said there are those who take advantage of soup kitchens and get themselves a free meal and Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor's comments on soup kitchens were taken out of context.

She reiterated that the Ministry's Ops Qaseh is meant to rescue and rehabilitate homeless people by giving them temporary lodgings, counselling, and job pairing services provided by the Human Resources Ministry.

Rohani said those rounded up in Ops Qaseh are sent to Anjun Singgah shelters and Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) is also coming up with similar shelters to compliment the Ministry's efforts.

She considers soup kitchen organisations as strategic partners and have already discussed with at least 12 of such NGOs about the functions of Ops Qaseh.

Meanwhile, Rohani said disabled child Muhammad Firdaus Dullah, who was rescued several weeks earlier in an Immigration Department raid, is doing well and will be discharged by the end of the week.

Source
TSowc
post Jul 7 2014, 05:48 PM

1,240 posts

Soup kitchens feeding tourists too, minister claims

user posted image
Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim said soup kitchens are pointless if they do not serve the target group. She alleged tourists also sneak into food queues to get free food. — Picture by Choo Choy May

KUALA LUMPUR, July 7 — The city’s soup kitchens are not entirely fulfilling their purpose of feeding the homeless as even tourists are sneaking into their food queues for free meals, Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim said today.

She said it was pointless if the soup kitchens, currently operated by more than 12 non-governmental organisations in the city, are not serving the right target group.

“We are grateful for their concern to feed the homeless but I told them as well that sometimes when they do it on the streets, like not only the homeless but other people also join in... sometimes tourists are also in the line because they think Malaysians are so generous in feeding everyone,” she told reporters today.

“We don’t want to stop them from handing out food but we want to give them an institution so that they can do other services for the homeless,” said Rohani.

Rohani was responding to the outrage following Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor remarks last week that soup kitchens would be barred from operating within a 2km zone in the city centre as their operations are encouraging homelessness and reflected poorly on the image of the nation’s capital.

Tengku Adnan, who is also Umno secretary-general, said the areas where soup kitchens operate were dirty, attracted vermin that spread diseases like Leptospirosis, and dengue.

The ministry has since sought to contain the public relations damage by saying it is merely setting up a “one-stop centre” to combat vagrancy in Kuala Lumpur and it would be meeting the NGOs operating the soup kitchens sometime this week.

Rohani, however, said there was a “miscommunication” in Tengku Adnan’s remarks as the latter was also “identifying shelters” for the homeless.

“Tengku Adnan was just trying to say he wanted to place a radius so meaning to say that if they want feed they can carry on but change the location but he didn’t finish his statement,” she said.

Rohani added that director-general of the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry will be sitting in the meeting between the soup kitchen operators and Tengku Adnan.

Source
danielmckey
post Jul 7 2014, 06:38 PM

On my way
580 posts

Soup Kitchen banned...
Open up new Dry Kitchen... icon_rolleyes.gif
TSowc
post Jul 7 2014, 06:41 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(danielmckey @ Jul 7 2014, 06:38 PM)
Soup Kitchen banned...
Open up new Dry Kitchen... icon_rolleyes.gif
Last time Jalan Alor that Mc Donald giving free Berger also invited a lot beggar thumbup.gif
notoriousfiq
post Jul 8 2014, 08:56 AM

On my way
513 posts

A lot of opposers of this move is talking about hygiene. That's like 80% of their argument. And the rest is how DBKL and T Adnan is heartless and evil. Even BFM, even Malaysiakini. aiyaiyai~

See, this is the shallow idea that I'm talking about. These opposers they dont get it. Idk if thats all DBKL/Adnan talked about, hygiene, if so its partly their own fault.

Outside of this forum, I still dont see ANY group of people who support this move. It's like we're the only one. So that brings back to what I said earlier, simply talking about this here in this one forum is kinda useless. People out there needs to be explained to.
TSowc
post Jul 9 2014, 11:01 AM

1,240 posts

Tengku Adnan: Soup Kitchens Can Operate Until Aug 16

user posted image
Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said the date was agreed upon as the new enforcement date for the ban on giving out food to the homeless after a meeting with 12 NGOs today.

KUALA LUMPUR: The soup kitchens here run by non-governmental organisations (NGOs) are allowed to continue giving out food to the homeless only until Aug 16, which is after the Aidilfitri celebration.

Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said the date was agreed upon as the new enforcement date for the ban on giving out food to the homeless after a meeting with 12 NGOs today.

"They can still give out food to the homeless but not within a 2km-radius of the city centre," he said in a statement today.

However, he said, NGOs with suitable premises such as house of worship or their own buildings could distribute the food even if within the 2km-radius.

Tengku Adnan said among the outcomes agreed upon at today's meeting were that all the NGOs involved would cooperate with the government in combating the activities of syndicates which used beggars to ask for alms, and to create the Anjung Singgah premises.

He said a town hall meeting with the homeless and beggars would be held soon to hear their complaints and to help them improve their lives.

Last Thursday, Tengku Adnan said soup kitchens were no longer allowed to operate within a 2km-radius of the Lot 10 shopping mall in Jalan Bukit Bintang, with immediate effect.

He said the move was to clean out the city of beggars and the homeless as well as soup kitchens which gave them food, giving rise to the issue of uncleanliness which marred the city's image.

Meanwhile, secretary-general of the Federal Territories Ministry Datuk Seri Adnan Md Ikshan said the lack of education and qualifications had resulted in the increase of homeless people.

"A study conducted by International Islamic University Malaysia found the cause to be their lack of qualifications to get a job," he said here at the handing-out of education aid to the recipients.

At the ceremony held at the Kuala Lumpur Federal Territory Mosque, 257 students received aid totalling RM188,620 from the Federal Territories Foundation (YWP).

Source
mon678
post Jul 9 2014, 11:05 AM

Casual
461 posts

maybe gov can create a system where beggars can be identified by using a tag number or a card identification to get free food...
TSowc
post Jul 9 2014, 12:15 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(mon678 @ Jul 9 2014, 11:05 AM)
maybe gov can create a system where beggars can be identified by using a tag number or a card identification to get free food...
brows.gif Other than ID Microchip Tag that injected into body, additional also need GPS and Tracer jarum to beggars body. thumbup.gif

It's make government more easy to manage to those that x. icon_rolleyes.gif
mon678
post Jul 9 2014, 01:03 PM

Casual
461 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 9 2014, 01:15 PM)
brows.gif Other than ID Microchip Tag that injected into body, additional also need GPS and Tracer jarum to beggars body. thumbup.gif

It's make government more easy to manage to those that x.  icon_rolleyes.gif
then all beggars will do a protest against it ...coz their privacy has been stolen haha....coz gov can track them anywhere...
notoriousfiq
post Jul 9 2014, 02:02 PM

On my way
513 posts

Roslan

Roslan’s seven siblings kicked him out of the house in Malacca three years ago because he is HIV positive. He has been sleeping on the streets in Kuala Lumpur since and now makes his bed under a large tree near Kotaraya.

Though his mother said he could stay in their house, just seven days after she died, his youngest sister told the 52-year-old Malay man to leave.

“You sort yourself out,” Roslan remembers his sister telling him.

Roslan had moved back in with his mother when he got separated from his wife in 2005 after a 16-year marriage. Despite his HIV status, his wife had accepted him. Thankfully, neither his wife nor his two children have the virus.

But his wife could not take it when Roslan, who started injecting heroin at the age of 15, went back to drugs after being clean for six years during their marriage.

“I made a lot of mistakes. I don’t blame my ex-wife,” Roslan says, ruefully.

He gets angry, however, when he talks about his siblings.

“I have cut off ties with them. My siblings don’t want to accept me because I’m a drug addict,” he says.

But Roslan has been clean for four years since going on a methadone programme.

“I don’t even want to touch it anymore,” he says.

Sia Chin Siew

For Sia Chin Siew, home is now a pile of flattened cardboard boxes outside Bangkok Bank. For a pillow, she uses a bag. A white blanket completes her bed. She burns a mosquito coil at her feet to keep away the bugs.

The 58-year-old woman ran away from home two to three years ago after her husband refused to let their son marry the girl of his choice.

That wasn’t the first time Sia ran away.

It started when she was 18. Her father barred her from dating the man who eventually became her husband.

Sia returned home five years later, after which her father said she could marry whoever she wanted.

“I like freedom,” Sia says.

“I don’t want to rent a room. I can’t live within four walls because it’s very boring. It’s like being in a jail,” she adds.

She says she will consider returning home if her son gets married.
More inside:
http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia...ls-streets-home

So you see, some of them prefer to live on the street. Some of them lazy. Some of them really do need help.

Those that need help, the govt should house them, care for them.

While those that are leisure-ing around, it's good to relocate them, but I won't prioritize that. I'm okay if they dont hurt anyone. Don't be so uptight about "image".

But when you give them cash, that's why they stay begging.
These beggars earning RM1.4k~1.5k a month? That's how much fresh grads today earn!! They study their ass off for 3~4 years. Got debt tens of thousands of ringgit. And you give the beggars RM1.5k?
TSowc
post Jul 9 2014, 04:48 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(mon678 @ Jul 9 2014, 01:03 PM)
then all beggars will do a protest against it ...coz their privacy has been stolen haha....coz gov can track them anywhere...
Now already beggar's are gather and protest, you go have a look on jalan bukit bintang, jalan imbi, pavilion, klcc, lot10, jalan alor, arab street.

Starting this week, all beggars are protest, before that, those beggars less shown their self. But now, seem more than last week. sweat.gif
TSowc
post Jul 10 2014, 12:30 PM

1,240 posts

Najib: New Shelter to be ready in this six months for the homeless

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak: said a shelter to house homeless people and beggars in the capital is expected to be ready within six months.

The prime minister said the shelter would provide sleeping cubicles, bathrooms and lockers for the homeless to keep their belongings.

"It shouldn't be long. That's what they need, not flats, but a place to doze off at night so that they do not sleep on the streets," he told reporters after dropping by at a soup kitchen in Jalan Tun Perak here last night.

He expressed the government's appreciation to the soup kitchen volunteers for feeding the homeless in the capital and providing medical assistance to them.

The prime minister, who arrived in Jalan Tun Perak at 10.40pm, spent about an hour observing food and drinks being distributed by the soup kitchen volunteers before taking a walk around the Cahaya Suria building.

The homeless and beggars, mostly elderly people, were given rice with chicken, apples, hot coffee, syrup drink, bread buns, wafer biscuits and packet drinks.

The prime minister was briefed on the Pertiwi Soup Kitchen's operation by its founder, Munirah Abdul Hamid. The homeless issue became a hot topic after Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan said that soup kitchens would be barred from distributing food to the homeless within a two km radius of Lot 10 in Jalan Bukit Bintang.

However, he withdrew the instruction on Tuesday following public outcry and said the ministry would give an opportunity for the soup kitchens to operate in the area until Aug 16.

Najib, who was accompanied by Tengku Adnan and Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Rohani Abdul Karim also spoke to several homeless people and beggars sleeping on the streets and at bus stops.

A homeless man, Lim Kim Hua, 63, who was sleeping at a bus stop in the vicinity of the Cahaya Suria building, woke up after realising that the prime minister was standing beside him.

In the 10-minute encounter, Lim, an ex-taxi driver from Selangor, told Najib that he became homeless as he had no family members to look after him.

The prime minister also greeted a father and his two-year-old son who slept on a plastic sheet on a pavement in Jalan Silang. A homeless woman, Norliza Mat Zain, 42, from Teluk Intan, who was sleeping in Jalan Silang, told Najib that she came to the capital with her husband who was looking for a job. However, her husband had since been jailed and will be released before Aidilfitri.

An ex-car salesman, Tan Yap Heng, in his 70s, told Najib that he had been homeless for over 20 years after he could no longer find work after turning 60. Tan said he had been robbed before and his applications to get aid from the Welfare Services Department were tuned down time and again as he did not have a permanent address. – Bernama

Source
notoriousfiq
post Jul 10 2014, 04:12 PM

On my way
513 posts

As mentioned by Ruby and Munirah, operators of soup kitchens, it's important to distinguish beggars and homeless in this issue.
TSowc
post Jul 10 2014, 05:39 PM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(notoriousfiq @ Jul 10 2014, 04:12 PM)
As mentioned by Ruby and Munirah, operators of soup kitchens, it's important to distinguish beggars and homeless in this issue.
Do you think Opposition allows those Beggars and Homeless to be take care by Government?

Opposition decision is to let those beggars remain homeless and jobless by collecting free food and alms.

Opposition: Malaysia is a Islamic Country, should encourage people not to work, remain homeless plus laziness, and live carefree by receiving alms.

Besides, Opposition oppose Government to hand's helping hand to those Homeless and Beggars.

Opposition also oppose Government, by urge not to provide shelter, training, counseling, permanent job by encourage them to stick to current situation such as begging, homeless and jobless.

doh.gif I as normal citizen, without participate any parties or politic also can make a right decision.

Do you think Opposition have any logic sense? "Gila ka PR Parti" promote beggar, homeless, jobless to overwhelming Bukit Bintang and Kuala Lumpur.

doh.gif Wonder who is those Opposition Leader's teacher, I wonder in their school never learn what is humanity or what is right and wrong.

doh.gif I as a normal citizen, I hope that the Beggar, Homeless, Jobless, Poor issue to be settle, hope to have better country! not those stupid bloody h0re politician.

Beggar, Homeless is wrong in law, should bring to court with no mercy. Wrong is wrong, no "But" to make a better country!
notoriousfiq
post Jul 11 2014, 08:59 AM

On my way
513 posts

QUOTE(owc @ Jul 10 2014, 05:39 PM)
Do you think Opposition allows those Beggars and Homeless to be take care by Government?

Beggar, Homeless is wrong in law, should bring to court with no mercy. Wrong is wrong, no "But" to make a better country!
Err, I don't know what you are on about. I'm not talking about the Opposition (PR). And I'm not sure that's their stand on this issue.

Beggars and homeless are different. Of course I'm talking about syndicate/purposely begging, versus truly in need homeless people. Those that simply choose to live on the street because its convenient, of course is wrong.

The soup kitchens differentiate beggars and homeless people. So they do agree action on sydicate beggars, but to help instead of punish the homeless who truly need help. This is a no-brainer and I agree with them.
TSowc
post Jul 14 2014, 12:49 PM

1,240 posts

What's Datuk Seri Rohani Talk about Homeless People in Kuala Lumpur

user posted image
Woman, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim, who was adamant about moving the homeless out of the streets of KL, is discovering what they want.

WOMAN, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Abdul Karim and Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor had people riled up recently when they said they were trying to round up the homeless people from the streets of KL, stop soup kitchens from feeding the people on the street and fine people giving money to beggars.

While Tengku Adnan started the “ball rolling” initially by wanting to “clean up” the city, Rohani got her share of brickbats with comments such as NGOs shouldn’t pamper the homeless and that tourists were taking advantage of the soup kitchens.

On Tuesday, in a one-on-one brief interview with The Star, Rohani addressed the criticisms and was adamant about wanting to move the homeless out of the streets.

Just a day later, however, after a walkabout in Kotaraya led by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak who was accompanied by Tengku Adnan and KL Mayor Datuk Seri Ahmad Phesal Talib, and talking to the homeless in the area, Rohani (and presumably Tengku Adnan) has now taken a softer approach.

Q&A with Rohani Before the July 9 walkabout

> Why have you not gone down to the ground yourself to assess the situation and what the homeless want?
Who says I have not? I have been down. But when I go I don’t have to announce it. If I announce it, these (homeless) people will not be on the street and that defeats my purpose. I went one day in early May and was there from 10pm to 2am. I went under the bridge but couldn’t find anybody there. Later, I found out that word had gotten out that I was going to be there, so the homeless didn’t want to be on the street that night.

I can’t just take my officers’ words at face value, which is why I go down to get a feel myself. My Welfare Department officers too are on the ground very frequently. They go with DBKL and a team and get as much facts as they can about the homeless, about who they are, where they are, what they want and why we are not able to take them off the street. We have done a study in 2010 on the homeless. The scenario today is still the same. Sometimes it is the same people we have met. These are hardcore.

> Pertiwi (soup kitchen founder Munirah Abdul Hamid) said you were “crazy” to say tourists took advantage of the soup kitchen, that you are not listening and asked you to come and see the situation on the ground yourself.
I am crazy? We have done engagements with Pertiwi. They are adamant they still want to feed people on the street. I mentioned to her why not also try to feed my clients in the welfare homes. This is what I have been trying to tell the Soup Kitchen NGOs. Besides feeding people on the streets, I tell them since they have so much resources, why not also share this with the welfare homes? When they feed on the street, it defeats our purpose of taking people off the street. When people are not hungry and have a place to sleep, they are going to be there all the time. And I won’t be able to take them off the street because they are not hungry.

> Do you think it’s their choice to be on the street without a roof over their head?
Sometimes yes. I brought people from under the bridge to an all-paid-for rented house but they only stayed for two days, then left and went back under the bridge. So it is by their own choice. This is the type of people. There is not much that I can do except offer them counselling so that they can really get off the street. When there are incidents such as a child getting murdered (by a homeless man), who do they point the fingers at? The Government! They don’t point to themselves. We have been doing our level best to take the children off the streets and send them to proper institutions. That is why my operation is called Operation Menyelamat, because we want to save them.

> How did you come to the conclusion that tourists are taking advantage of soup kitchens?
When the homeless lined up for food and tourists who are backpackers were in the vicinity, they lined up too because they thought it was an occasion. I don’t blame them because they didn’t know and got in line. I tell you that if you go to certain places, the NGOs are feeding the Bangladeshis, foreign workers and people who are working.

> But this might be because they are earning very little money and can’t survive with that amount in the city?
So what? We are encouraging them. Why not feed the ones in my welfare homes? I think they deserve more of the food.

> People say the fact that soup kitchens are functioning shows a failure of the Government to find a long-term solution in tackling urban poverty and the homeless issue.
Urban poverty programmes are being done but people expect a miracle. They expect programmes to immediately wipe out urban poverty.

People are looking for jobs and we give them jobs. Out of the 900 registered with Anjung Singgah (a temporary shelter in KL for the homeless who want to find jobs), only 200 stayed with their jobs. Some even stole from their employers. And now potential employers are scared to take these people in. The government has done everything that the NGOs are doing except for the feeding. It doesn’t look good on the government to feed on the streets. Tell me which government in the world feeds (the homeless) on the streets? It is only NGOs who do this. And I do know that these NGOs do get funding from overseas so they have to justify (what they are doing).

> But it looks like the government is more concerned about the image of the city and wants to chase the homeless out rather than provide care and welfare for them?
No. We give welfare. Tengku Adnan had affirmative action in place. He was coming up with welfare homes where there would be one floor for men and one for women and the bottom floor would be where you would feed them. His statement was not read in totality and was spun out of proportion. I have nine target groups (under my watch). The homeless are one of the groups. I don’t leave them out but why focus on just the homeless? We already have action for them. But if they don’t come and meet us when we are up and about, then how much can I do?

> If the operations are really to “save” the homeless, then surely they would be running towards rather than away from the operations?
The perception spun is that we are about to catch them and put them in cells. That is not true. We don’t do that. Now we have the opposition parties wanting to go to Desa Bina Diri (centre for the homeless) in Sungai Buloh to see our facilities there because they think it is a cell. They are welcome to have a look.

> Is being homeless a crime?
No, but must they be homeless? Why should they be homeless in the first place? Because they are unemployed? Tell me why they are unemployed? Then come let’s tackle the problem. You talk to (homeless) people and they say they can’t get this and that. Should they be homeless or is it by choice?

> But things like housing and rental in the city are very expensive these days and force people to live on the street.
We don’t have an Aladdin’s lamp where we can just rub and rub the lamp and it all happens (like magic).

The Government is tackling it and it is in our NKRA lab. Day and night, our officers are cracking their heads to come up with ideas, like maybe having capsule beds like in Japan. But the homeless too should come forward. Have you seen the homeless who come to take food? Most are able-bodied, who are young, aged 20 to 40. As for those who are in their 50s and 60s, they shouldn’t be on the streets. They should be in our (old folks home) institutions if they are homeless and alone. That is why we keep saying we want to save them. To be in our institution is the last choice. You tell me, which is better, being in our institution or sleeping in the streets?

> But the PM has said the days of “the top-down government-knows-best” approach is over, so surely in this case it depends on what the homeless want?
All our efforts are not good in the eyes of NGOs. Do you want the homeless to be on the street? We are moving towards becoming a developed nation but we have all these homeless people. Is that what these NGOs want? So that they can feed them? My mood is spoiled now because everything we do is not good enough and not right. Don’t tell me you don’t want the Government to do anything about the homeless? Is that what I should tell the Cabinet? Whatever we do, the NGOs will not be happy!

Q&A with Rohani After the July 9 walkabout

> How do you feel coming down today and assessing the situation?
As I have said, I have been here before. But with the PM coming down today, we will work something out. I sat down today with some of the homeless and listened to what they had to say. They don’t want to be far away from here nor do they want to be in our institution.

The PM spoke to some aged more than 60 and instructed me to take their particulars because maybe it is better for them to be in our welfare homes.

His concern too was for the small kids sleeping on the streets. Maybe they can be placed in (welfare) homes temporarily while their parents look for good jobs. But the thing about this too is that parents don’t want to be separated from their children and we have to respect their wishes. If they give their kids to us, it must be with consent. And since they don’t consent, let it be. We respect it. So maybe that is the answer. They just want a kind of shelter. Even if we give them a mattress also, they don’t want it because they are so used to sleeping on the street.

So it’s just a roof, a place to bathe and other basic things. Maybe we can also provide services. That’s where people can give them food and at the same time they can get a medical check up there.

> Will the Government be okay with people still sleeping on the streets?
No, we don’t want that. PM says he cannot stand it when he sees the rakyat sleeping on the street. He wants them to be sleeping in a shelter where at least it is safer because out on the streets there are all kinds of people.

So there will be a proper shelter where the homeless can sleep. They feel comfortable here (in the area) so never mind (they can stay). They can go to the shelter (nearby), leave their things there, go out and come back to sleep at night.

Source
notoriousfiq
post Jul 14 2014, 01:03 PM

On my way
513 posts

What is your take on this? Like I said to BFM, the words of both sides should be heard. I'm not sure, but I think KuNan was terrible at wording it. But Rohani here sounds rational.
TSowc
post Jul 16 2014, 06:57 PM

1,240 posts

Fatal fall for jobless man at Bangsar mall

user posted image
An unemployed man fell to his death at the Bangsar Shopping Centre (BSC) here about 1.30pm today. ― Picture courtesy of Bangsar Shopping Centre

KUALA LUMPUR, July 16 ― A 26-year-old unemployed man fell three storeys to his death at the Bangsar Shopping Centre (BSC) here about 1.30pm today, stunning the lunchtime crowd in the upscale mall.

Brickfields police chief Azlee Abdullah told The Malay Mail Online in a text message that the victim was named Alif Alexandre Faizal Weber who had earlier visited the shopping complex with his mother.

“The deceased fell from the fourth level. Two BSC staff had tried to help the deceased's mother pull him back from toppling over but failed,” the assistant police commissioner said.

According to the senior policeman, the victim was unemployed and spent his time with his mother exercising after leaving university two years ago.

The victim was diagnosed as suffering from mental problems a year ago and was receiving treatment for it, the policeman said.

"The mother informed us he has been under medication for depression for the past one year," Azlee told The Malay Mail Online when contacted.

He added that victim's body has been sent to the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre for an autopsy.

“Initial investigations revealed that there was no elements of foul play in his death,” he was quoted saying by The Star daily on its website.

The victim was believed to have argued with his mother before he fell, The Star reported but did not elaborate.

The daily quoted a 50-year-old witness who gave her name as Ogy.

“I heard people screaming as his body hit the ground. The sight of his body was just overwhelming,” she was quoted saying.

BSC's management said their personnel were assisting the police with investigations.

“Our hearts, prayers and thoughts are with the family at this time,” the mall managament said in a statement.

Source
simpletraveler
post Jul 19 2014, 02:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,872 posts

In this case, I blame the mother or patents more than the government. A failed family.
TSowc
post Jul 19 2014, 02:53 AM

1,240 posts

QUOTE(simpletraveler @ Jul 19 2014, 02:32 AM)
In this case, I blame the mother or patents more than the government.  A failed family.
user posted image
I can't believe i'd saw on this photo show that a jobless and beggar stomach so fat, it's just like never hunger before, this is different than the African child.

below are the child that affect by Kwashiorkor sickness due to protein deficiency
user posted image

Can you compare Malaysia Homeless vs African Homeless? who is the real Hunger that no food?

This post has been edited by owc: Jul 19 2014, 02:53 AM

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1424sec    2.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 06:21 PM