Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[WTA] Pointing a .my domain to a specific IP, Newbie here, please help

views

TSaeronyc
post Jun 11 2014, 12:37 PM, updated 10y ago

Getting Started
213 posts

Dear all,

I'm working on a website for my farm. I registered a .my domain with exabyte, but I'll host it with others. Upon checking, exabyte told me that I can't simply point the domain that I registered for free, but need to subscribe to their 'DNS Management' service for RM50/year then only I can point the domain to other IP.

Feel like being cheated, or is this the norm in the web hosting world?

Anyway, other than paying exabyte again (which will be my last resort), is there anyway (even if its not free) that I can host my domain with others?

thanks

xcess
post Jun 11 2014, 12:44 PM

Casual
460 posts

By right, you should have access to the MYNIC domain control panel to change your domain settings.

From there, you can change your domain's name server to other name server.

There are free name server available out there where you use to host your domain. Example is http://dns.he.net.

You just need to:
1) create account on dns.he.net
2) create your .my zone/domain on dns.he.net (A record, NS record, etc)
3) login to MYNIC domain control panel and change your current domain name server to he.net's name server

This post has been edited by xcess: Jun 11 2014, 12:45 PM
regnessem
post Jun 11 2014, 05:04 PM

Casual
393 posts

If you have your own hosting account then yes you can point your domain name for free; you simply need to update your nameserver through mynic
IntensiveBytes
post Jun 11 2014, 06:59 PM

On my way
510 posts

You are being cheated, sort of. Exabytes are just trying to make more money out of you by asking you to pay extra for DNS "management", which all domain holders have the right to modify whenever they like.

That is why I hate registering domains with web hosts.
I have not much experience with Exabytes so I'm not sure if there is a way around it.

I know one of my clients have their domains registered with a hosting provider, and apparently they have a full email setup with the hosting provider and I do not want to work on my web development for my client using their hosting since it is slow, bad and does not have what I need, but I was able to change the A record of the domain to my own server IP by requesting via email. (So example.com is pointed to my IP but mail.example.com is still with the existing host, therefore the mail setup still remains)

If one of my client's host can do it, I don't see why Exabytes can't. Charging for bullshit DNS management is another example of ripping off customers.

I also do not have much experience with Malaysian domain names but looks like Mynic can help you with updating your nameservers.

And I agree with the reply above, HE.net is a good DNS service, I use it a lot smile.gif

Good luck TS.

This post has been edited by IntensiveBytes: Jun 11 2014, 07:01 PM
shally.martin
post Jun 11 2014, 11:06 PM

30 posts

Please visit Mynic website and get your login from there. Exabytes is just trying to fork out more money from you.
Try http://mynic.my for more information.
For years I've been changing my name server directly from mynic. And it is absolutely free. You just need to get your own username and password. Ask the mynic staff to help you out.
pcbase
post Jun 12 2014, 09:44 AM

Regular
1,411 posts

exabyte sell .MY at ceilings price and charge another RM50 for DNS Management. I wonder why pupil still buying domain at exabyte.

axis_lua
post Jun 13 2014, 02:11 PM

Enthusiast
929 posts

transfer away! doh.gif
TSaeronyc
post Jun 13 2014, 11:00 PM

Getting Started
213 posts

Thanks all for the reply, will go through them this weekend.

Will also check with mynic, if i can do this for free, i'll compile the info and make a step-by-step guide and put it online for others.

again thanks for your time.

cheers
shally.martin
post Jun 14 2014, 12:42 AM

30 posts

Good to hear. Good luck.
ladycooper
post Jun 16 2014, 11:31 AM

Enthusiast
917 posts

Hi aeronyc,

If your hosting provider have their own DNS for their server, all you need to do is to login to Mynic control panel as Technical Contact, then update the DNS to point to the DNS of your hosting provider.

In this case, you do not need to pay any DNS hosting price.

Do get the DNS details of your hosting provider and Exabytes technical team will be able to help you to point the DNS without any fee charged.

In case you are going to host at some free hosting which do not provide you with DNS, we are sorry that Mynic DO NOT provide DNS redirection service like .com domain registry, you will need to find some provider that offer DNS redirection service, point your DNS to their server, then redirect your domain to the hosting provider.

You may PM me if you need further clarification before more misunderstanding happen.

TSaeronyc
post Jun 17 2014, 07:48 AM

Getting Started
213 posts

Just an update for my case.

While I waiting for Mynic's reply, an Exabyte support guy manage to solve my problem. I did subscribe to a simple hosting plan with exabytes, and the DNS management is included in that plan. All these started with the first support guy that ask me for more money instead of using the feature in the hosting plan.

anyway, based on my experience, if others can offer free DNS management for .my and .com.my domains, why not exabytes?

thanks to the second (or third) support guy in my series of communication (or flaming tongue.gif) emails that pointed that out for me.

Of course, I could be blamed for being a noob, but... that's the right for the customer rite? smile.gif
TheWandererX
post Jun 26 2014, 03:54 PM

Regular
1,862 posts

Then that is bad customer service. I also experienced lousy service a year ago with Exabytes, site always had issues & it was a nightmare, despite paying quite a fair bit.

Moved to Shinjiru after and no longer having as many headaches to deal with.
wiwian
post Jul 10 2014, 05:09 PM

11 posts

same! feel cheated by them, extra rm50 and they told me there is limitation on DNS Zone Hosting whereas you are unable to activate URL redirection of your domain name. Therefore, you may need a hosting package to do so.

domain+dns zone hosting+hosting package zzzz

should just go to .com in the first place instead of .my or .com.my, i can save alot of money

please let me know if there is alternate solutions because i can't get any refund from them, sad.
petirbuas
post Jul 10 2014, 05:50 PM

( 。◕ ‿‿ ◕。)
898 posts

QUOTE(wiwian @ Jul 10 2014, 05:09 PM)
please let me know if there is alternate solutions
Read

QUOTE(ladycooper @ Jun 16 2014, 11:31 AM)
Hi aeronyc,

If your hosting provider have their own DNS for their server, all you need to do is to login to Mynic control panel as Technical Contact, then update the DNS to point to the DNS of your hosting provider.

In this case, you do not need to pay any DNS hosting price.

Do get the DNS details of your hosting provider and Exabytes technical team will be able to help you to point the DNS without any fee charged.

In case you are going to host at some free hosting which do not provide you with DNS, we are sorry that Mynic DO NOT provide DNS redirection service like .com domain registry, you will need to find some provider that offer DNS redirection service, point your DNS to their server, then redirect your domain to the hosting provider.

You may PM me if you need further clarification before more misunderstanding happen.
wiwian
post Jul 10 2014, 05:59 PM

11 posts

[update]
they offer me a very simple hosting plan which is cheaper than the zone hosting so i dont have to pay extra for the dns zone hosting, very satisfied with their customer service!
I think will go for this plan for now and hope eveything goes smooth
fairylord
post Jan 1 2018, 11:32 AM

tag [@fairylord]
2,012 posts

QUOTE(xcess @ Jun 11 2014, 12:44 PM)
By right, you should have access to the MYNIC domain control panel to change your domain settings.

From there, you can change your domain's name server to other name server.

There are free name server available out there where you use to host your domain. Example is http://dns.he.net.

You just need to:
1) create account on dns.he.net
2) create your .my zone/domain on dns.he.net (A record, NS record, etc)
3) login to MYNIC domain control panel and change your current domain name server to he.net's name server
Hi,

I'm newbie.
I have purchased an name.my domain.
Have created and published a website using wix/weebly with sub-domain url as name.wix.com / name.weebly.com

Tried to look around how to forward with masking (redirect) and where to do the setting in mynic.my like godaddy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfk_clv1_nY).

Anyone mind to guide where is the setting panel?

Or i can do it using dns.he.net as xcess mentioned?

Thanks a lot.

muyyaqdhom
post Apr 9 2018, 11:56 AM

Enthusiast
735 posts

QUOTE(fairylord @ Jan 1 2018, 12:32 PM)
Hi,

I'm newbie.
I have purchased an name.my domain.
Have created and published a website using wix/weebly with sub-domain url as name.wix.com / name.weebly.com

Tried to look around how to forward with masking (redirect) and where to do the setting in mynic.my like godaddy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfk_clv1_nY).

Anyone mind to guide where is the setting panel?

Or i can do it using dns.he.net as xcess mentioned?

Thanks a lot.
-register cloudflare ( free acc ) for dns management
- login to mynic to get your domain details.
- pointing weebly/wix ip to your domain.

and btw try Google's more with good keywords. it might be there . cant help so much since im replying using mobile smile.gif
fairylord
post Apr 10 2018, 11:32 PM

tag [@fairylord]
2,012 posts

QUOTE(muyyaqdhom @ Apr 9 2018, 11:56 AM)
-register cloudflare ( free acc ) for dns management
- login to mynic to get your domain details.
- pointing weebly/wix ip to your domain.

and btw try Google's more with good keywords. it might be there . cant help so much since im replying using mobile smile.gif
Hi thanks, i have done the pointing using cloudns.

Cheers
ladycooper
post Apr 12 2018, 11:55 AM

Enthusiast
917 posts

Hey all,

Just a short update here.

1) Now all .my domain registration with Exabytes come with complementary DNS Management.

2) We have also launched .my domain registration through mobile app.
Our New Launch promotion for .my domain name is just RM29 for 1st year registration (through mobile apps).
Check this out: https://www.exabytes.my/blog/exclusive-my-d...tes-mobile-app/

ladycooper
post Aug 31 2018, 11:00 AM

Enthusiast
917 posts

Merdeka Deal for Mynic Domain at RM19 only for first year.
https://www.exabytes.my/domains/mydomain

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0176sec    0.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:07 PM