Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

newly formatted computer cant load some webpages, DNS lookup failed

views

TSwinkiedilwy
post May 16 2014, 09:35 PM, updated 10y ago

Imma farting carrots.
2,343 posts

Hi guys, straight to the point, I have this rather old computer in my office running Windows XP. Recently it's got formatted because it won't boot for no reason. Can't even get into safe mode. Now that the computer is working sorta fine, but whenever I tried to visit some websites, it showed the DNS lookup failed. The computer is connected wirelessly to our company's streamyx modem, with my default DNS server changed to OpenDNS. All the devices that are connected to the modem works fine except for this computer.

The DNS settings is modified via the modem's setting (192.168.0.1 or something like that) and I've not done any of the network settings on the computer or other devices. It's just that this particular computer can't access a few websites, not even microsoft.com. Ended up can't fetch updates and install antivirus.

I've got a Virtual PC running on my laptop at home running Windows XP as well, and recently I did a format too, and yesterday it was able to fetch all the updates without fail.

So how do I solve this DNS lookup failed issue? Plus, my explorer.exe tend to crash immediately after the logon screen. I haven't got anything installed yet apart from google chrome.

Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this. Thank you.

P/S: Computer is old with Pentium 4 and 1gb ram, that's why XP is the most suitable. DNS lookup issue happens on both Chrome and IE. Can't load microsoft, avira, etc. Other computers on the same network works like charm.

This post has been edited by winkiedilwy: May 16 2014, 09:36 PM
ravi6662
post May 16 2014, 09:40 PM

Enthusiast
927 posts

Make sure xp sp3, with ie8... should be no issue,, my lab all p4 with 1gig ram.. no issues,,, also running linux as well..

shredder
post May 16 2014, 09:43 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

try to change your installation media. some times it is the source of the problem.

make sure u check your ram condition just in case.
ravi6662
post May 16 2014, 09:43 PM

Enthusiast
927 posts

Looks like issue with ur network,,, and not the computer..

Can ping dns sites..
run tracert, see where packet being blocked.
disable firewall.
make sure ip not 169.x.x.x

WebWalker
post May 16 2014, 09:51 PM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

If your pc can't access Microsoft website or any anitivirus software website, it could be infected by virus.
ihavenoidea
post May 16 2014, 10:20 PM

Regular
1,274 posts

Why not try manualy input the DNS on the network adapter itself.
TSwinkiedilwy
post May 17 2014, 11:13 PM

Imma farting carrots.
2,343 posts

QUOTE(ravi6662 @ May 16 2014, 09:40 PM)
Make sure xp sp3, with ie8... should be no issue,, my lab all p4 with 1gig ram.. no issues,,, also running linux as well..
QUOTE(shredder @ May 16 2014, 09:43 PM)
try to change your installation media. some times it is the source of the problem.

make sure u check your ram condition just in case.
QUOTE(ravi6662 @ May 16 2014, 09:43 PM)
Looks like issue with ur network,,, and not the computer..

Can ping dns sites..
run tracert, see where packet being blocked.
disable firewall.
make sure ip not 169.x.x.x
QUOTE(WebWalker @ May 16 2014, 09:51 PM)
If your pc can't access Microsoft website or any anitivirus software website, it could be infected by virus.
QUOTE(ihavenoidea @ May 16 2014, 10:20 PM)
Why not try manualy input the DNS on the network adapter itself.
Thanks for putting some time into this. Found out that I still have the mbam installer with me and it can update to the latest version. After some internet searching and scan by mbam, found out the worm (not sure what name) but with a file name sugsbbk.dll that causes all the problems. After removing using mbam and bitdefender thingy, the computer works fine. But I suspect that the worm has removed most of the Windows Update thing. Even in the Windows Services thingy, cannot find "Windows Update". Have to manually download SP3 before everything works fine.

Plus the stupid Windows Update requires IE8 and IE8 requires SP3.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. As of now the computer is running fine. But weird tho, it's a freshly formatted computer, plus I google the filename "sugsbbk.dll" did not have any results.
ricstc
post May 17 2014, 11:20 PM

Saya Pun Nak Cari Makan
2,272 posts

Your machine got infected immediately after the new formatting and almost immediately after you connected to the internet
dkk
post May 18 2014, 03:58 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
11,400 posts

If this is true, and the worm is still on the LAN, the computer might still get reinfected. And other computers will get infected as well.

A newly reformatted and reinstalled (and unpatched) Windows XP computer is succeptible to be infected by some worms, as soon as the network cable is connected. You don't have to do anything, go to any particular website, run any infected program. Browse to any folder with special files. Just connecting to the network will do it.

This is why, when I reformat and reinstall XP computers, I do it with the network cable NOT installed. Then I install the necessary patches. And only AFTER THAT, connect to the network to update windows. I have the patches on a DVD, better than on hard disk because it is readonly, and cannot be infected by virus/worms. If you don't have this, you can connect to the Internet without connecting to the LAN. On extremely small LANs, you could wait until office hours, disconnect / shut down the other PCs, and update the new computer. If the LAN cannot be taken down because it is running some essential services 24/7, the new computer can be updated offsite (eg take it home), or use mobile broadband.
RAMChYLD
post May 18 2014, 12:41 PM

Regular
1,715 posts

Here's a tip: using a known clean computer, make a WSUS offline DVD. Then reformat the Windows XP PC (preferably with SP3 slipstreamed CD), and then immediately update using WSUS offline DVD first. Then install antivirus from offline CD. Only after then you connect to the internet to check for more updates.

Of course, there's the stupid issue that XP needs to activate over the internet, but you have a 3 day grace period, and WSUS offline only takes a few hours at best, so it's safe to hold off activation until WSUS offline finishes patching the computer first.

But seriously consider moving older computers to Linux unless you have a good reason to stick to XP.

This post has been edited by RAMChYLD: May 18 2014, 12:45 PM
TSwinkiedilwy
post May 19 2014, 08:03 PM

Imma farting carrots.
2,343 posts

QUOTE(dkk @ May 18 2014, 03:58 AM)
If this is true, and the worm is still on the LAN, the computer might still get reinfected. And other computers will get infected as well.

A newly reformatted and reinstalled (and unpatched) Windows XP computer is succeptible to be infected by some worms, as soon as the network cable is connected. You don't have to do anything, go to any particular website, run any infected program. Browse to any folder with special files. Just connecting to the network will do it.

This is why, when I reformat and reinstall XP computers, I do it with the network cable NOT installed. Then I install the necessary patches. And only AFTER THAT, connect to the network to update windows. I have the patches on a DVD, better than on hard disk because it is readonly, and cannot be infected by virus/worms. If you don't have this, you can connect to the Internet without connecting to the LAN. On extremely small LANs, you could wait until office hours, disconnect / shut down the other PCs, and update the new computer.  If the LAN cannot be taken down because it is running some essential services 24/7, the new computer can be updated offsite (eg take it home), or use mobile broadband.
I actually sent to the shop that I usually went, and that shop has been supplying our office and house computer for years, except recently i switched to my high school teacher's friend, who provides better service and lower price. The computer was connected to the internet over wifi, and I haven't connected any network folders or map any network drive. Plus, the monitor is giving some problems which makes me unable to use the computer yet. The network setup in my office is easy, just one computer connected via LAN and other connected via wifi.
wodenus
post May 19 2014, 08:25 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(winkiedilwy @ May 19 2014, 08:03 PM)
I actually sent to the shop that I usually went, and that shop has been supplying our office and house computer for years, except recently i switched to my high school teacher's friend, who provides better service and lower price. The computer was connected to the internet over wifi, and I haven't connected any network folders or map any network drive. Plus, the monitor is giving some problems which makes me unable to use the computer yet. The network setup in my office is easy, just one computer connected via LAN and other connected via wifi.
Why don't you do it yourself? it's easy plus his copy of Windows might not even be genuine. Since you have a legal copy (I'm assuming) you could try doing it yourself. You'd have to download SP2 and SP3 first though.

cjoenic
post May 19 2014, 10:15 PM

-
773 posts

the computer either been infected, as claimed by others above, or the dns is screwed up.

id recommend you to use 8.8.8.8 as primary dns server. since it is operated by google.

to check the pc is even communicating properly to the internet, try type "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" in the "start" > "run" box. if no response, then it simply not connected properly to the internet.

also, to check if your dns working properly, try go to command prompt (or start > run > "cmd.exe")
in the box, type "nslookup google.com" if theres result with ip, its working. else, if timeout etc. something is wrong with dns, or your pc cant communicate with the dns server.
JunJun04035
post May 20 2014, 02:25 AM

Sir Kalahari, Duke of Autocorrect
1,167 posts

QUOTE(RAMChYLD @ May 18 2014, 12:41 PM)
Here's a tip: using a known clean computer, make a WSUS offline DVD. Then reformat the Windows XP PC (preferably with SP3 slipstreamed CD), and then immediately update using WSUS offline DVD first. Then install antivirus from offline CD. Only after then you connect to the internet to check for more updates.

Of course, there's the stupid issue that XP needs to activate over the internet, but you have a 3 day grace period, and WSUS offline only takes a few hours at best, so it's safe to hold off activation until WSUS offline finishes patching the computer first.

But seriously consider moving older computers to Linux unless you have a good reason to stick to XP.
+ 1 for linux

get everything done u threw at them
TSwinkiedilwy
post May 20 2014, 01:20 PM

Imma farting carrots.
2,343 posts

QUOTE(wodenus @ May 19 2014, 08:25 PM)
Why don't you do it yourself? it's easy plus his copy of Windows might not even be genuine. Since you have a legal copy (I'm assuming) you could try doing it yourself. You'd have to download SP2 and SP3 first though.
since the beginning the computer is already running brows.gif brows.gif copy of Windows XP. I already got a SP3 installer which is also brows.gif brows.gif copy, but can't find the ISO burner on my Windows 8 laptop. Plus, got quite a lot of drivers and apps to install so I let them do all at once. Actually not worth it tho.

QUOTE(cjoenic @ May 19 2014, 10:15 PM)
the computer either been infected, as claimed by others above, or the dns is screwed up.

id recommend you to use 8.8.8.8 as primary dns server. since it is operated by google.

to check the pc is even communicating properly to the internet, try type "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" in the "start" > "run" box. if no response, then it simply not connected properly to the internet.

also, to check if your dns working properly, try go to command prompt (or start > run > "cmd.exe")
in the box, type "nslookup google.com" if theres result with ip, its working. else, if timeout etc. something is wrong with dns, or your pc cant communicate with the dns server.
it's working fine now.
TSwinkiedilwy
post May 20 2014, 01:25 PM

Imma farting carrots.
2,343 posts

By the way, all the updates rolled in fine (automatically) and it's installing updates now. Till now, it was looking fine.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:02 PM