Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Advice Wanted [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!!

views

ub3rg33k
post Sep 12 2018, 09:25 PM

38 posts

Like most people here, I lurked around to learn about experiences of others and this thread has been a wealth of information. I spent a few weeks (not full time lah, I got a career to juggle also) reading all 114 pages! Just done today and immediately decided to post a comment (which I seldom do in these forums).

Also like most, the interest is sparked because of an impending proposal (I haven't sorted out the details yet, but probably May 2019) and I wanted to get an early start on the education.

Based on what I learned here, I have narrowed down my options to:
1. Getting the whole ring from JannPaul in Singapore (I stay in Malaysia, but I travel often enough to Singapore).
2. Buying online from BGD or WhiteFlash and customize my own ring.

Not doing much now (well, waiting for the news on effect of SST), but just wanted to give a shoutout to kambingkoh for keeping the thread alive and contributing the massive amount of knowledge here. Rest assured that if I go with Option 2, I will use an affiliate link.

The only headache now is to get the ring size as I don't quite fancy the use of a temporary holder. I know it's practical, but putting a super ideal diamond on a RM20 ring from AliExpress or Tao Bao just feels a bit "insulting" to the diamond (sorry, it's not criticism to anyone but more of my own discomfort at the idea).

ub3rg33k
post Sep 26 2018, 11:37 PM

38 posts

In case anyone is interested, just sharing this Habib KLCC sale.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

ub3rg33k
post Mar 6 2019, 10:17 PM

38 posts

Been creeping around here a lot reading stuff especially the great insights from kambingkoh. Now that I am planning to get one for the special day in Apr, I feel like tearing my hair out looking at all those selections of diamonds and settings and materials.
ub3rg33k
post Mar 6 2019, 10:30 PM

38 posts

kambingkoh, based on your advice, I have been talking to Zcova and iDo about this and hopefully i will finalize the selection soon. Perhaps Tailored Jewels too because their designs are also elegant.

Do you think it's a good idea to get the stone from them also rather than buy them loose?

Just wondering you have any recommendations if I have the following requirements?
RB of around 0.6 (of cos bigger will be better, but limited by budget lah)
Color E, F (G acceptable, but not preferred)
Clarity maybe VVS1 or 2 (just to be safe though I just need it to be eye clean)
Florescence - None
Proportion should be ideal with lots of
Budget, well, maybe 10-12k (stone only), should be enough right?

Given your contribution here which has increase my knowledge considerably, I am quite keen on using any affiliate link you have.

ub3rg33k
post Mar 6 2019, 11:26 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 6 2019, 10:46 PM)
0.605 ct F VVS2 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link)

Not sure this one is a pre-loved (second hand) stone or not, but it is worth asking:
0.608 ct E VS1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond

Do note that AGS takes GIA faint fluorescence as AGS negligible as well.
Anything from Zcova recommended if I should want to go local?
ub3rg33k
post Mar 10 2019, 10:15 PM

38 posts

kambingkoh any advice on the following?

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1325099719

GIA 1325099719
ub3rg33k
post Mar 13 2019, 09:54 PM

38 posts

kambingkoh gosh, i feel bad keep disturbing you, but what are your thoughts on the two below?

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1283956314

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=%201328089625

first one is cheaper of cos, but i am wondering if it's worth it to trade off color, clarity and price increase of around RM 2.5k for the second one just to get an increase of 0.1 carat

do you think the 0.71 is noticeably larger than a 0.63 in real life?
ub3rg33k
post Mar 13 2019, 10:20 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(bb100 @ Mar 13 2019, 09:59 PM)
In my opinion, yes the difference is noticeable.
hey thanks for reply. appreciate it especially from another sifu here.

personally, as long as eye clean (to naked eye), i don't mind the clarity being downgraded.

a bit worried about the color G though... not sure if it's noticeable in real life though i know unless you compare with another one side by side, no one can really pick it out since G is not that yellow anyway

so, what's your opinion? which one would you get for a proposal ring?

ub3rg33k
post Mar 14 2019, 12:57 AM

38 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 14 2019, 12:21 AM)
Nah, it's okay.

The E VVS2 has 63% depth... it is actually slightly deeper than desired. If you ask me, not quite worth it to pay the price difference. Other than the slightly wide table, the proportions of the 0.71ct seems better.

Nonetheless, try to get the real photo and compare.

0.71ct is not noticeably right away if you ask me, but if compare side-by-side, or used to seeing diamonds for some time, then one may be able to see it.

Anyway, you got a budget?
Still around 10-12k for stone alone. Expected setting to be around 3k, so preferably kept under 15.

The two options you gave me where both are WF's ACA are really nice looking from the scope diagrams, but I am just asking around locally to see if I can avoid the hassle of buying online and doing wire transfers and all.

The E VVS2 is quoted to me at a shade under 12k and the 0.71 was 14.5k both inclusive of the rings.

I am now thinking if I should instead get one of the ACA's (which are around USD 3K) and then set it locally. A bit of a hassle, but I am quite confident with WF when I see those scope pictures showing ideal cuts.
ub3rg33k
post Mar 14 2019, 10:30 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 14 2019, 09:53 AM)
Here is another one that I personally like by the numbers :
https://black.briangavindiamonds.com/diamon...?a_aid=myengexp (affiliate link). Unlike Whiteflash, you might need to pay for shipping though, but you can try to request for free shipping, sometimes may get it. If no, shipping should be USD 50 and above. Just check with the sales consultant for the images.

FYI, the 0.71ct G VS2 price is relatively cheap compared to what you can get for a super ideal. But again, we don't know the cut quality base on numbers alone.

And there is one more player in the super ideal realm-https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10413
I am not affiliate with them but from what I know, a lot people like their diamonds. The diamond they distribute is known as Crafted by Infinity. Note that this brand is distributed by many other retailers, High Performance Diamonds is just one of them. I seldom promote them mainly because their prices are usually higher than both Whiteflash and Brian Gavin Diamonds. However, with the recent announcement that they have cut down on the cost, I am sure their prices are pretty competitive. What I really like about this company is always the Crown Angle and Pavilion Angle pairing. They seem to strike a very good balance. I started to analyse abit on this after their customers keep giving them good reviews. Also, the Crown Angle and Pavilion Angle correlates with what my wife's Lazare diamond is doing. To be honest, my wife love the Lazare more than the ACA, but we have to go case-by-case basis. Not all Lazare perform as good and not all ACAs are not as good. Anyway, I can agree that Crafted by Infinity has very good consistency in their Crown Angle and Pavilion Angle pairing. It is evident in their ASET which you can see on their grading report. They provide free ASET, Idealscope for you to play with too! Together with free shipping to Malaysia when I last check.

Overall, you choices are plenty. Buying from overseas are very safe as they are shipped using FedEx International Priority and the item is insured. There are no taxes for loose diamond, and you can get superior cut at a reasonable price. Using Money Match to transfer can assure that the recipient will receive the full exact amount, and you don't have to be worried about the recipient complaining and demanding for the differences. Anyway, I don't think they will demand if there are some bank charges at their side, I am pretty sure all these super ideal players will gladly absorb the charges, but since Money Match provides bank beating rates, I don't see why we will use banking service. Depending on various factors, they might be slight slower sometimes, but the benefit gained far outshine the cons. Besides, you can get RM 50 off using my referral code REF_ACOO for your first transfer.

For ring setting RM 3k... Are you planning to get platinum? Anyway, if you are getting 18k white gold, with your budget, you can already get 2 x ring settings from Memory Jewellery lol. But if you want comfort fit, you can consider iDo Jewellery. Price is higher, but they use palladium in their 18k white gold, which makes their ring hypoallergenic (highly unlikely to cause sensitivity to skin). Standard rings use nickel, which might cause sensitivity issue to a minority group of people. In other words, they are relatively safe for most people.

And if you don't want to do the ring setting first, you can request for a ring style holder, spring holder to hold you loose diamond for you to propose first, then only bring your other half to select the setting. This is because you save yourself some headache if you don't know the ring size or the design she likes. High Performance Diamonds give it for free, while both Brian Gavin Diamonds and Whiteflash can give it for free. Just remind them again to put it into the package before they ship. Warning: Ring setting will hold the stone much more secure, for spring holder, if you don't clip it nicely, it might cause the stone to fly out, so handle with care, don't shake it vigorously whatsoever. It might also fly out when you clip, so clip it in a secure room. That being said, I won't recommend you to do the proposal on a sandy beach... Just In case.

And since your special day is in April, you don't have much time left if you want to make the ring setting instead of using a spring holder... So give a good thought about it these few days.

Good luck.
Oh yes, was thinking of platinum as I like the heft making it feel more premium. I don't think the ring will see much everyday use tbh, so I think the weight if fine. Plus, her skin doesn't take well to silver and some other metals, so I am a bit worried about white gold with nickel. Anyway, this is still being considered as I know palladium will also work well with sensitive skin.

After some thinking, I think I will sacrifice a small bit on cut as I don't think I need a super ideal (no one but a trained gemologist would notice). Before embarking on the search, I never thought there'd be this much thinking to be done haha. If I didn't come searching here, I would have just walked into any shops in supermarket and buy over the counter.

I was quoted a decent price for this: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5316892153 so, I think I am likely to go with it.

The ASET is not up to par with those Black by BG or WF's ACA, but I think kinda acceptable for "layman" purpose. Based on what I learned from sifu's here, the crown angle is off by a bit and the light return at 11 and 5 o'clock is wrong angle.

kambingkoh Is this an acceptable piece? Do you know if that inclusion at the 2 o'clock is a feather? However, most online reference says feather on a VS2 and above will not have any structural issue. Is that correct?

user posted image

user posted image
ub3rg33k
post Mar 14 2019, 10:37 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(bb100 @ Mar 14 2019, 11:55 AM)
No, I am not a sifu. Just sharing my limited knowledge with you guys here.

G colour is okay if you have a high performing diamond to mask the yellowish tint. Otherwise, the lowest you wanna go is F. Personally, here are my priorities:

P1: Cut, no compromise.
P2: Carat weight, girls' best friend so it has to be.
P3: Colour, cuz it is something which you and other people can observe.
P4: Clarity, does not really matter as long as it appears eyeclean and there are no internal cracks (feather) near the edges.

Imagine this very common conversation:

Girl A: WAHHHH, your diamond super shiny and colourful!! That's P1 right there.
Girl B: Is it? Thank you.
Girl A: How many carat? There you go, P2.

Never have you heard "Wahhh, your diamond super shiny and colourful! What colour and clarity your fiancé buy for you?"
I read this thread from front to back back then and I can see your valuable input.

Thinking about it more, yeah I do think you got those priorities right. However, for cut, as a layman, I can only see more or less sparkles. After a threshold is cross for it to be good proportions, I feel like I can't tell between "perfect" and "slightly under perfect".

And under the lights of those gem stores in shopping malls, my eyes just go starry and everything looks kinda good hahahaha...
ub3rg33k
post Mar 20 2019, 03:44 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 6 2019, 10:46 PM)
0.605 ct F VVS2 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond

Not sure this one is a pre-loved (second hand) stone or not, but it is worth asking:
0.608 ct E VS1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond

Do note that AGS takes GIA faint fluorescence as AGS negligible as well.
hey kambingkoh just thought I'd update you a bit. It's been awhile and I've been so busy planning the other stuff.

After so much consideration, I decided to plonk my hard-earned cash on the 0.6 E here you recommended. Talked to WF gemologist quite a lot too and made sure the affiliate link was registered (she confirmed it did). Given your help, I am glad you are also able to benefit from the purchase.

Won't arrive so soon as I asked them to delay the shipping as I will be on vacation next week, but the MoneyMatch transfer went through and is waiting for clearing. Also using your referral code.

The plan is to get it set at TJ when I am back next weekend as they seem to work with platinum and I think their solitaire ring designs are really excellent. A bit short on time though so hopefully they can pull it through.

ub3rg33k
post Mar 31 2019, 02:08 AM

38 posts

The Great Diamond Shortage That Never Was Is Likely Coming Soon

ub3rg33k
post Mar 31 2019, 08:58 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 31 2019, 07:55 PM)
Wow. So interested in diamonds? Have you gotten your ACA yet?
Not really that interested except for this one occasion. Just that Google is kinda creepy and keep showing me "relevant" news based on my activity.

As for the ACA, shipping and scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
ub3rg33k
post Apr 2 2019, 08:01 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 31 2019, 07:55 PM)
Wow. So interested in diamonds? Have you gotten your ACA yet?
Arrived today cos of a small Customs issue yesterday due to lack of description.

Best picture I could take without any professional camera. Taken using WhiteFlash's viewer and my phone's camera. So, doesn't look very good cos I can't get good lighting.

user posted image
ub3rg33k
post Apr 3 2019, 10:19 AM

38 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Apr 2 2019, 10:48 PM)
It is certainly a nice stone, you can see how clear the arrows are when zoomed in. wink.gif

btw, your phone can take some pretty good photos!  rclxms.gif
My other splurge besides the diamond is Samsung S10+. Taken using the telephoto lens with phone almost resting on the viewing scope's eyepiece.

Quite broke now sweat.gif

ub3rg33k
post Apr 6 2019, 08:14 PM

38 posts

Thought this might be of interest. MoneyMatch doing well and probably thanks to some people here in part.

https://fintechnews.my/20451/payments-remit...ymatch-sandbox/

ub3rg33k
post Apr 16 2019, 12:18 AM

38 posts

For quality lab-grown diamonds, you can check out Clean Origins.

https://www.cleanorigin.com/

No experience with them, but their CVD process is technically superior creating a diamond that's no different from mined ones. However, the prices don't seem all that cheap to me (though you can definitely get better specs for the same price).

Just info sharing since I have no stake in promoting them and only saw them through this Forbes article this morning about buying habits of millenials which prefers the more ethical nature of lab-grown stones.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanziger/20...e/#631323aa2e33
ub3rg33k
post Apr 16 2019, 11:44 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Apr 16 2019, 08:02 AM)
Nice. This is certainly worth to consider IMO. The stone I browse is Type2a, I think is the rarest kind of diamond or maybe one of the rarest if they are actually mined from earth.

I believe only lab can tell which is which. And personally I don't think the differences that can be detected by labs will show any differences in real life.
Do update if you eventually do get something from them.

Now that I am taking a closer look, I take back my comment on the price. While the price might not be all that much different at smaller carats, the scaling of the price is much less steep as the diamond gets bigger. So, the price difference is actually very significant when looking at larger stones.

I don't think lab grown ones can hold much value (as in for reselling) but given it's no different from mined ones, I think they would do for personal use. After all, if the difference is only on lab testing equipment and not to the naked eye, seems like quite a bit of savings there.
ub3rg33k
post Apr 24 2019, 10:24 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(Blakey @ Apr 23 2019, 03:11 PM)
Hello~ Where can we purchase unique ring box?
Is it for a surprise proposal?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0190sec    0.15    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:37 AM