Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

96 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Advice Wanted [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!!

views

kambingkoh
post Nov 3 2016, 11:45 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(cute_miao @ Nov 3 2016, 08:01 PM)
Went there dy b4 i approached tailored.

Service....just so so...just show me a paper to differentiate the levels, n directly take out diamonds to shw me...din explain much.
Did they show you the Hearts & Arrows?

If you limit yourself to non-commercialize brand, your choice is pretty limited for your price range. iDo Jewellery quoted me "from RM 4,800" for 0.2ct-0.3ct (non-inclusive) for diamond + setting. Some more anything below 0.3 do not have cert, as far as iDo is concerned. Just curious, why you don't prefer those diamond shops in shopping complexes? They do have promotion sometimes. HABIB even put out the price list outside their store. There is a person that commented in my blog that said HABIB and Wah Chan is worth to take a look because their price is pretty reasonable.
kambingkoh
post Nov 8 2016, 01:01 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(DoomCognition @ Nov 6 2016, 07:11 PM)
Just so that you know, there is a noticeable difference for the keen eyed people between 0.25c and 0.34c. 

0.34c has 23% face up area which is definitely noticeable when compared side by side, even with setting done.
how about 0.25ct? hmm.gif
kambingkoh
post Nov 8 2016, 11:16 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(DoomCognition @ Nov 8 2016, 01:09 PM)
Huh?  What about it? It is definitely noticably smaller than 0.34c. Don't get your question.
Oops sorry, didn't get my question clear. I mean what % is the face-up area of a 0.25ct diamond?
kambingkoh
post Nov 8 2016, 11:25 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(DoomCognition @ Nov 8 2016, 11:20 PM)
I realised there is a typo.  What i meant is 0.34c has 23% more face up area than a 0.25c.
Haha okay...
kambingkoh
post Nov 11 2016, 02:23 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(DoomCognition @ Nov 10 2016, 08:50 PM)
I've made a purchase of a diamond (0.26c) without certificate. Based on my own estimate, it is around I colour, Clarity VS. Will be sending to GIA for certification soon. smile.gif  Let's see how it turns out.  But for Cut, I think it will likely only be Good or Very Good at best.
why suddenly want to buy a diamond? blink.gif
kambingkoh
post Nov 13 2016, 10:25 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(DoomCognition @ Nov 11 2016, 05:32 PM)
For my own ring.  :-) Just sent it to GIA today.
Great. May I know how can I send a loose diamond to GIA for grading? Thanks.
kambingkoh
post Nov 15 2016, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(DoomCognition @ Nov 13 2016, 11:19 PM)
I send it by hand. I go to their office directly. If you want, you can ask jewellers in Malaysia such as Habib to send it for you.  But it takes about a month.
Meaning you send it to GIA's office in Bangkok/Singapore? I can't find one in Malaysia.
kambingkoh
post Nov 23 2016, 12:14 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(cute_miao @ Nov 22 2016, 10:18 PM)
Include.....but might change the setting cz the free 1 is the basic without any design.
Among the 3, personally will get the last one, reasons being:
1. It has symmetrical arrows in comparison to the other options.
2. It has steep crown angle (35 degrees), hence, it should display a lot of fire. Although steep crown angle can reduce light return (brilliance), but in this case, the fire & brilliance should be balanced according to http://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/how-to-pick-diamond/, – For Crown Angle = 35°, Pavilion Angle = 40.6°.

Diamond 2 is also quite okay if you are on a budget, however, please note:
1. Diamond 2's cut is not as good as diamond 3.
2. Diamond 2 has lack of fire, but should show more brilliance (whiteness), due to the shallow crown angle.

Don't bother diamond 1. The cut is not good and its crown angle is too steep (36 degrees), causing too much light leakage.

Reference:
http://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/how-to-pick-diamond/.
http://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/crown-angle/

Hope this helps. smile.gif

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Nov 23 2016, 12:15 AM
kambingkoh
post Nov 23 2016, 07:20 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(cute_miao @ Nov 23 2016, 07:00 AM)
Thanks guys for the reply.

The last 1, i couldnt remember the Gia number....
hmm? the last one is not from Tailored Jewel? If yes, then it should be showing in the list they sent you, no? hmm.gif

kambingkoh
post Nov 28 2016, 09:19 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Panda3382 @ Nov 24 2016, 03:57 PM)
Hi. I wonder if this is a good buy for RM4500
0.48carat / D / SI2 /
Cut = very good
Polish = very good
Flouresence = strong blue.

Please advise me. Fellow guru.
How about the diamond's symmetry?

Also, as mentioned by DoomCognition, do provide the cert number as well. Knowing the proportions can give you better insights.

IMO, you can get slightly better specs if you reduce the size of the carat and maintain the price around RM 4,500 - RM 5,000. But since you asking about whether it is a good buy or not, then, the price seems fair enough as I can't seem to find any similar stones that match your price online. Those I came across are around USD 1100 - USD 1200 (excluding GST).

However, do note that in general fluorescence will lower the price of the diamond. As for lower by how many percent, I am not sure. Perhaps you can use this point to negotiate for a better price. brows.gif

Since you are buying an SI2 diamond, you will need to check with the dealer and see for yourself whether it is eye-clean.
From Beyond4cs.com:
Eye-clean is an “unofficial” term which is used to describe a diamond when its inclusions cannot be seen with the naked eye. When determining eye-cleanliness, certain conditions like a viewing distance of 6-12 inches and a human vision of 20/20 are typically assumed.

Again, please look at the diamond yourself before purchasing. smile.gif

All the best in your diamond hunting! thumbsup.gif
kambingkoh
post Nov 29 2016, 12:19 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(hwachong @ Nov 28 2016, 08:55 PM)
any suggestion where to get proposal ring? any christmas discounts?

budget 10k
If you prefer super ideal diamonds, then you can take a look at the 2 below. You won't be getting anything above 0.50ct, but diamonds within the range of 0.40ct.

Diamond:
Brian Gavin Diamond:
Sample:
Click Me!

Experience sharing link:
Link 1

WhiteFlash:
Sample:
Click Me!

Experience sharing links:
Link 1
Link 2

For WhiteFlash, I am affiliated with it, if you are buying from them, appreciate if you can add in my link if they ask for it.
Attached Image

Note:
1. They are not cheap if you just compare the 4Cs, but diamonds are not just limited to 4Cs. These diamonds have clear Hearts & Arrows and are extremely well-cut, hence, providing good balance of brilliance and fire.
2. They are cheaper than branded diamonds you can get in the market, for instance, Lazare, Tiffany, Hearts on Fire, Cartier.

18K White Gold Ring Setting:
iDo Jewellery - RM 1,800 for simple solitaire design.

Note:
1. Ling's work is not bad. But you have to remind her to check on the final goods before delivery, such as whether it is well polished.
2. Try to get the ring size right for the first time. Resizing has a good chance to make the design slightly off compare to the original one and will have a tiny line on the ring later.

Other tips:
Go to Audrey's to do some price survey.
Learn about diamonds:
Prosumer Diamonds
Beyond4cs
Niceice

Other notes:

Exchange rate when I bought that time was 4.17.

Alternatively you can visit some local stores and see for yourself. Wah Chan is famous for its competitive prices.

What I am sharing is my own personal experience of buying online and getting it set locally. The price is fair for me considering what I am getting - Super Ideal. It should be cheaper than what you can get locally for the same kind of cut. Some shops will brand their ring as perfect Hearts & Arrows aka Super Ideal, but you have to see it to believe it. Always ask to see the Arrows from the top and Hearts from the bottom. Most shops won't let you see the bottom because the diamond is always set in a ring setting. You can probably take a look at their loose stone sample (if they have one). I saw one loose stone sample of Estrella diamond from Diamond & Platinum which is very nice, however, I can't guarantee all the other Estrella diamonds will be as good. On the other hand, SK's True Hearts loose stone sample is not nice, but seller said that it is perfect Hearts & Arrows. But then, this can't guarantee other True Hearts won't be good. So, what I am trying to say is that you have to see it to believe it.

Some diamond shops are actually sister companies. For example:
1. DeGem & Diamond & Platinum
2. Tomei & My Diamond & LeLumiere & Gold Heart
3. SK & Love & Co

Hope this helps.

All the best in your diamond hunt! icon_rolleyes.gif

kambingkoh
post Nov 29 2016, 08:38 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(DoomCognition @ Nov 29 2016, 08:35 AM)
It was 1.9k when I spoke to her for the ring.  I remember asking for Plat as well,  goes all the way up to 4.5k.
Oh my. Getting more and more expensive. blink.gif Thanks for the update! smile.gif
kambingkoh
post Nov 29 2016, 03:28 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(DoomCognition @ Nov 29 2016, 12:24 PM)
Cost of gold (in RM) has been going up.  Check Poh Kong and Wah Chan.  They just upped their gold price by RM 5 per gram last week or this week.  This is despite the fact that gold price is dropping internationally.

But if you buy the diamond from her, I think can get cheaper ring.
Yeap. You are right. Ring setting will usually be cheaper if paired together with diamond. I can't remember her diamond price range, but I remembered it is not the cheapest around. And with the current USD exchange rate, things are even more expensive.
kambingkoh
post Dec 6 2016, 04:01 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(kinx @ Dec 5 2016, 07:36 PM)
need help

want  to buy a ring with the following spec.  need all sifu here to advice worth to buy or not.

1) 0.46 carat  D  VS2  3EX  with 18k 28mg ring = RM8500 (attach GIA file here)

2) 0.46 carat  E VS2 3EX with 18k 28mg ring = RM8000

please advice urgent need help.

[attachmentid=8210574]
GIA cert number will be useful. Do you have it?

Also, may I know which shop/vendor offer you this package?
kambingkoh
post Dec 7 2016, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(kinx @ Dec 7 2016, 09:47 AM)
GIA 7226662326

WC offer this me package. good deal?
The proportions offered are good. Read this:
http://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/how-to-pick-diamond/

Based on the numbers, the diamond should perform well. And XiuKeong also calculated HCA score of 0.9, which makes this stone a candidate to consider. For the price of RM 8,500, personally think that it is a fair price for a brick-and-mortar shop. Don't think other brick-and-mortar will be able to beat this price. Wah Chan is famous for competitive price anyway. Btw, 0.46ct should be close enough to look like a 0.5ct. rclxms.gif

The next thing to do (if possible) is to request for the Hearts & Arrows images or any other images. If the actual diamond is in the shop itself, even better, you can view the diamond from the top and from the bottom, to take a look at the Hearts & Arrows. Be sure to take a good look at the diamond and see if it looks nice to you (you know, fire and whiteness, things like that). Lastly, ask them for the location of the inclusion (The crystal, the feather, as stated in the GIA cert). You don't want something that is too easy to crack.

Good luck and enjoy your diamond hunting. icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Dec 7 2016, 10:39 AM
kambingkoh
post Dec 7 2016, 11:44 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(kinx @ Dec 7 2016, 10:58 AM)
Thanks for the details explanation.  thumbup.gif   You info is very helpful and will go and check again.
Well, just checked on Audrey's for price comparison. You can probably try to negotiate your price further down for that D colour VS2. wink.gif Perhaps to around RM 7,800 - RM 8,000? However, do note that CUT will make a big price difference, since the proportions looks good, so what's left is to view the actual diamond. So, if you can see the hearts and arrows clearly and you like the diamond appearance, then do negotiate with full force.

Another thing to note is that the ring setting itself does play a part in the pricing. You can check with the salesperson what material are they giving. Is it 18K white gold? If yes, then it will consists of 75% gold + 25% others. You can then check with he/she what is the 25%, does it contain palladium?

On a side note, for your price, you can try to check with iDo Jewellery and see what price range she offers you. She does provide ASET, H&A, Actual Diamond images.

For even cheaper option, you can try to check with Tailored Jewel, which is currently running a promotion for 0.40 E VS2 + 18K White Gold Ring for RM 5,900. Your diamond is bigger and has better colour, so the price should be higher.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Dec 7 2016, 12:05 PM
kambingkoh
post Dec 8 2016, 10:55 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(kinx @ Dec 8 2016, 08:25 PM)
Checked the Heart and Arrow.  Except 1 arrow edge is not that symmetry but overall still nice.  I cant compare the rest too bling bling and final price 8.2K and close the deal.
Got other stone with same spec and size new price 9k+ before discount.  Guess mine stone not cheap and not expensive and reasonable?. Anyway finally settle my bling bling stone.  rclxms.gif
Great to hear that! wink.gif Chosen the ring setting?
kambingkoh
post Dec 9 2016, 03:19 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(kinx @ Dec 9 2016, 02:05 PM)
yes.  6 prong rings
Hmm, no 4 prongs selection? Anyway, how is the variety of ring settings available in Wah Chan?
kambingkoh
post Dec 10 2016, 08:45 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(kinx @ Dec 9 2016, 04:34 PM)
i prefer 6 prongs ring.  yes they do have other 4 prong , single etc.  but 6 i found is the best looking.

may be i choose loose stone smile.gif  overall WC consider good and helpful.  i found they have one 0.4 IF stone.. 10k+  ahhahah
Lol. Still have to see the proportions to determine how good is the stone. Anyway, there is really no need to go til IF. It is better to opt for Color instead.

Glad that you finally sealed the deal. Hope that your proposal is a successful one!

Cheers!
kambingkoh
post Dec 12 2016, 12:39 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(bb100 @ Dec 11 2016, 07:08 PM)
Even with a low HCA score, he will still need to view the stone under the ASET scope to determine its light performance.
Yeap. Never rely on HCA alone. It is just a rough guidance as rejection tool.

96 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0200sec    0.38    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:41 PM