Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Standard ] · Linear+

> [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!! (Advice Wanted)

views

User3310
post Jul 22 2020, 10:05 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 22 2020, 12:38 AM)
Usually it will be easier to view with a digital magnifier connected to a TV. If you hold the magnifier yourself, most likely you probably don't know what you are looking at, we'll, at least I don't even know what I am looking at. But I know that if it faces up eye clean to me, has at least a VS quality, don't have certain inclusions such as cavity, no Brown, Green, Milky (BGM), then I am certainly fine. That's how I choose diamonds for my clients.

While seeing inclusions may be complicated, but seeing hearts and arrows are not that complicated, especially the arrows. For a good diamond, make sure the 8 distinct arrows are well-aligned. For the hearts, you can see the Hearts pattern as well, sometimes it may be very good, sometimes each hearts may have some slight variances, such as bending at the tip of the heart, and sometimes, it is simply terrible with inconsistent heart size, some small, some big, or even unrecognisable hearts, which is an indicator of bad cut diamond even if GIA graded it Excellent.

This is a picture of the hearts for one of the diamonds I am selling. See the hearts? It is really not that hard to take with a smartphone with camera, but I am pretty sure you rarely see jewellers provide you with such image. Go figure why.
user posted image

Then of course, we have the proportions. I will usually start with this first to filter out the diamonds I want. If you do this, basically a lot of diamonds can be filtered out. Or you can simply use this tool https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca to find diamonds with a score 2 and below. You can just key in the proportions accordingly. One day can use free for 3 times.

With a set of diamonds with the right set of proportions, I will then check the hearts and arrows to see which one is well-cut. Remember, proportions does not represent a well-cut diamond.

Of course, if you can see the physical stone, shed some light on it and see if you like it! If the store is too bright, try to ask the sales assistant to help you cover the jewelry shop light and use your handphone torch to see how well it performs. Of course, you can also view it under normal office light if they allow you to access to the back office of the jewelry shop.

Then, remember to compare prices. Diamonds price are usually based on a standard set of price list called Rapaport price list, either mark up or mark down can be due to branding or quality of the diamond, respectively.
Thank you for such informative and useful tips!
thumbup.gif

Onlinebuffers
post Jul 28 2020, 01:36 AM

3 posts

Hi sifus,

I'm currently considering to purchase a set of matching wedding bands from either Wah Chan or De Gem. I've found 1 set of bands from each company that I quite like their design and price-wise, the rings are pretty similar between both companies although 1 set is 18K gold while the other is platinum. Also, since these are just wedding bands, there's no diamond spec that needs consideration. So, it's really down to the quality of workmanship, after-sales service (e.g when polishing the rings after years of use), honesty? etc.

What are your experiences with either of these companies?

I'd love to hear your thoughts

Thanks!
kambingkoh
post Jul 28 2020, 02:24 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Onlinebuffers @ Jul 28 2020, 01:36 AM)
Hi sifus,

I'm currently considering to purchase a set of matching wedding bands from either Wah Chan or De Gem. I've found 1 set of bands from each company that I quite like their design and price-wise, the rings are pretty similar between both companies although 1 set is 18K gold while the other is platinum. Also, since these are just wedding bands, there's no diamond spec that needs consideration. So, it's really down to the quality of workmanship, after-sales service (e.g when polishing the rings after years of use), honesty? etc.

What are your experiences with either of these companies?

I'd love to hear your thoughts

Thanks!
Out of topic, but would like to highlight on 18k gold and platinum.

If given a choice between 18k gold and platinum for wedding bands, assuming it is for daily way, then platinum may be a better choice, as gold may be scratched off and leave some of it on the surface it scratches again, but as far as I know, platinum won't leave any part of it on the surface as easy as gold.

Read here:
https://www.serendipitydiamonds.com/blog/do...atinum-scratch/
https://www.jewelrynotes.com/can-platinum-j...y-be-scratched/

If you said the price are similar, then I find it strange because platinum should be more expensive, considering both rings are similar, according to your post.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Jul 28 2020, 02:26 PM
Onlinebuffers
post Jul 30 2020, 12:57 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 28 2020, 02:24 PM)
Out of topic, but would like to highlight on 18k gold and platinum.

If given a choice between 18k gold and platinum for wedding bands, assuming it is for daily way, then platinum may be a better choice, as gold may be scratched off and leave some of it on the surface it scratches again, but as far as I know, platinum won't leave any part of it on the surface as easy as gold.

Read here:
https://www.serendipitydiamonds.com/blog/do...atinum-scratch/
https://www.jewelrynotes.com/can-platinum-j...y-be-scratched/

If you said the price are similar, then I find it strange because platinum should be more expensive, considering both rings are similar, according to your post.
Thanks for the tips!
I thought that was a bit strange too about the pricing but I guessed maybe the sales person hiked up the price of the gold or the platinum rings were on discount
kambingkoh
post Jul 30 2020, 08:21 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Onlinebuffers @ Jul 30 2020, 12:57 AM)
Thanks for the tips!
I thought that was a bit strange too about the pricing but I guessed maybe the sales person hiked up the price of the gold or the platinum rings were on discount
Perhaps you can check the weight of the material used.
xDingx
post Aug 1 2020, 09:03 PM

On my way
589 posts

can anyone help to tell which GIA below has a better diamond?

GIA 1358539444
GIA 1358613643

This post has been edited by xDingx: Aug 1 2020, 09:07 PM
kambingkoh
post Aug 2 2020, 12:49 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(xDingx @ Aug 1 2020, 09:03 PM)
can anyone help to tell which GIA below has a better diamond?

GIA 1358539444
GIA 1358613643
You can use HCA to filter out diamonds first: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
GIA 1358539444 - 0.9
GIA 1358613643 - 5.2

Rule of thumb is to get below score of 2.

41.8 pavilion angle on the 0.5ct is a good sign the diamond is being forced to reach 0.5ct. Usually price may look attractive for its 4Cs

Look at this beautiful piece by Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/0.488-d-...?a_aid=myengexp (affiliate link).

Check out its measurements: 5.10 x 5.12 x 3.11
Compare it to the 0.5ct: 5.02 - 5.06 x 3.19 mm

Face-up, the 0.488ct is even bigger! So why the cutter force it to 0.5ct? Well, because every 0.1ct has a price jump. So sellers may sell it in a some ways, such as:
1. Selling it at a real 0.5ct price, getting the largest profit.
2. Making it price like 0.47ct and sell it like a markdown sales as the carat weight is 0.5ct, so potential buyer may find it attractive. It is also easy to attract customers using the 4Cs alone.

Check out the price difference between a well-cut 0.488ct against a well-cut 0.5ct at BGD:
Attached Image

On a side note, the proportions of the 0.32ct is very good. Can explore further and see its hearts & arrows.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Aug 2 2020, 12:50 AM
xDingx
post Aug 3 2020, 09:44 AM

On my way
589 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Aug 2 2020, 12:49 AM)
You can use HCA to filter out diamonds first: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
GIA 1358539444 - 0.9
GIA 1358613643 - 5.2

Rule of thumb is to get below score of 2.

41.8 pavilion angle on the 0.5ct is a good sign the diamond is being forced to reach 0.5ct. Usually price may look attractive for its 4Cs

Look at this beautiful piece by Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/0.488-d-...?a_aid=myengexp (affiliate link).

Check out its measurements: 5.10 x 5.12 x 3.11
Compare it to the 0.5ct: 5.02 - 5.06 x 3.19 mm

Face-up, the 0.488ct is even bigger! So why the cutter force it to 0.5ct? Well, because every 0.1ct has a price jump. So sellers may sell it in a some ways, such as:
1. Selling it at a real 0.5ct price, getting the largest profit.
2. Making it price like 0.47ct and sell it like a markdown sales as the carat weight is 0.5ct, so potential buyer may find it attractive. It is also easy to attract customers using the 4Cs alone.

Check out the price difference between a well-cut 0.488ct against a well-cut 0.5ct at BGD:
Attached Image

On a side note, the proportions of the 0.32ct is very good. Can explore further and see its hearts & arrows.
I am interested in the Brian Gavin diamond that you shared... but is it safe to buy the diamond from oversea and get it ship to Malaysia? I am a bit worried to buy such an expensive thing online from overseas.. Can i just buy the diamond and buy the ring setting in Malaysia?
coolguy99
post Aug 3 2020, 10:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,847 posts

QUOTE(xDingx @ Aug 3 2020, 09:44 AM)
I am interested in the Brian Gavin diamond that you shared... but is it safe to buy the diamond from oversea and get it ship to Malaysia? I am a bit worried to buy such an expensive thing online from overseas.. Can i just buy the diamond and buy the ring setting in Malaysia?
That is what I did. I still think buying the diamond from them and getting the ring setting done locally is the best idea as it is easier to make adjustments if required.
xDingx
post Aug 3 2020, 11:58 AM

On my way
589 posts

QUOTE(coolguy99 @ Aug 3 2020, 10:23 AM)
That is what I did. I still think buying the diamond from them and getting the ring setting done locally is the best idea as it is easier to make adjustments if required.
Thanks for the reply. Any recommended shop in Klang Valley for buying the ring setting?
coolguy99
post Aug 3 2020, 04:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,847 posts

QUOTE(xDingx @ Aug 3 2020, 11:58 AM)
Thanks for the reply. Any recommended shop in Klang Valley for buying the ring setting?
I got mine done at Memory Jewellery.
kambingkoh
post Aug 3 2020, 05:46 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(xDingx @ Aug 3 2020, 09:44 AM)
I think coolguy99 just answered all your questions lol.

Appreciate if you can use my affiliate link if you are buying from them. Thanks.
xDingx
post Aug 3 2020, 07:00 PM

On my way
589 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Aug 3 2020, 05:46 PM)
I think coolguy99 just answered all your questions lol.

Appreciate if you can use my affiliate link if you are buying from them. Thanks.
I already bought the diamond using your link smile.gif
kambingkoh
post Aug 3 2020, 07:26 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(xDingx @ Aug 3 2020, 07:00 PM)
I already bought the diamond using your link smile.gif
Hey, thanks! 🥳
Mixgal
post Aug 8 2020, 10:57 PM

30 posts

Greetings all, can I have some comments on this piece ? It’s a 2ct cushion cut smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mixgal: Aug 8 2020, 10:59 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  trim.3B974FDC_03F3_43EA_994B_7A99D5069ED0.MOV ( 742.03k ) Number of downloads: 3
kambingkoh
post Yesterday, 01:46 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Mixgal @ Aug 8 2020, 10:57 PM)
Greetings all, can I have some comments on this piece ? It’s a 2ct cushion cut smile.gif
I don't know shit about cushion cuts, but I am guessing this piece is still with the supplier. If this is true than this means that Zcova may be able to get it for you as well, and they could either be cheaper or more expensive. Alternatively, you can ask for different opinion and options as well since 2 carat is not a cheap stone.
Mixgal
post Yesterday, 03:15 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Aug 9 2020, 01:46 PM)
I don't know shit about cushion cuts, but I am guessing this piece is still with the supplier. If this is true than this means that Zcova may be able to get it for you as well, and they could either be cheaper or more expensive. Alternatively, you can ask for different opinion and options as well since 2 carat is not a cheap stone.
Actually I already bought it and it’s on its way to me 🙊 posting it here because I’m feeling anxious and was hoping to get some assurance haha

The supplier I got it from does not have the ASET images and pretty much told me ASET images are redundant for fancy cuts. From my own research, I disagree but I just requested again, let’s see what they say..

Meanwhile, anyone who have knowledge of cushion cut please feel free to chime in..

Video of the diamond -

https://youtu.be/BpcEVkhDE6c

This post has been edited by Mixgal: Yesterday, 03:18 PM
kambingkoh
post Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Mixgal @ Aug 9 2020, 03:15 PM)
Actually I already bought it and it’s on its way to me 🙊 posting it here because I’m feeling anxious and was hoping to get some assurance haha

The supplier I got it from does not have the ASET images and pretty much told me ASET images are redundant for fancy cuts. From my own research, I disagree but I just requested again, let’s see what they say..

Meanwhile, anyone who have knowledge of cushion cut please feel free to chime in..

Video of the diamond -

https://youtu.be/BpcEVkhDE6c
Alot things have been said about ASET, but if there are 2 ASETs to compare, a good one and a bad one, I think we can more or less make things out.

But hey, I am sure you have considered quite abit before committing so must well enjoy your stone! 🥳

Mixgal
post Yesterday, 07:34 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Aug 9 2020, 04:27 PM)
Alot things have been said about ASET, but if there are 2 ASETs to compare, a good one and a bad one, I think we can more or less make things out.

But hey, I am sure you have considered quite abit before committing so must well enjoy your stone! 🥳
Thank you ! smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0227sec    0.80    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 10th August 2020 - 06:25 PM