Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!! (Advice Wanted)

kambingkoh
post Mar 17 2019, 10:05 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(VvF3nG @ Mar 17 2019, 12:22 AM)
Guys,
how do you guys think about this diamond?

gia report number 7318129932

Considering of getting higher carat diamond i have somehow gave up "cut".(which is extremely important :/)
however it looks shiny for me. Haha

got this at about 2kSGD.

worth it?
i know its late but i wish to know some of the opinion.
Now, this is am interesting one. Have you tried the HCA tool? https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca?, the score is 1.5, and so we can guess that the pavilion and crown angle is working together, which makes sense because the crown angle is sooo steep, and the pavilion angle is sooo shallow. Crown angle and Pavilion angle always work as an inverse of each other - one steep one shallow, whichever also can. The steepness of the crown and the tall crown height will make this diamond to have excellent fire I presume, but that is assuming the light return is not bad, which I am not too sure in this case since the total diamond depth is pretty deep. But since you saw the diamond and like it, i think it meets your requirement.

The reason this diamond is getting a so-called good cut is because the numbers... But this doesn't mean it will be that bad in real life if it is not leaking light or leaking too much light and the relationship is good between the crown and Pavilion angles, which is the case here.

Now, the not-so-good part: The calculated ideal weight is actually between 0.47ct - 0.48ct. In other words, it will look like a ideally cut 0.47ct or 0.48ct. Take a look at this 0.45ct, which has a bigger face-up size than your diamond:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view...amond-276952094

user posted image

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD...s&action=newTab
user posted image

So you might wonder why 0.5ct? This is because the extra carat weight is hidden in the diamond total depth. Meaning all the extra goodness of the carat is hidden from the normal viewing position, which is facing-up, but yet, you are paying something extra for what you cannot see. And why would they cut it to 0.5ct? I can only guess they did it on purpose because 0.5ct is much more tempting than a 0.45ct right, as far as the number sounds. And one of the factors to determine the price is carat weight, not the face-up diameters.

Take a look at BlueNile. This diamond looks pretty good looking overall, but it has the same specs as yours as far as the 4Cs are concerned. Check out the price... So is it overpriced? If compare to BlueNile, I would say the price you paying is pretty fair since SG has taxes. But if compare to the earlier 0.45ct, I would say it has a better overall value than your diamond. This is because the face-up size is bigger, the diamond is 3EX, the overall look is very good-looking, and yet, it is still cheaper. And since this stone is on virtual inventory, other vendors may be able to offer even cheaper price. I would guess you can get it between RM 5300 to RM 5500 for this diamond in Malaysia. This is because you are saving the 7% VAT, so you won't reach RM 6k or SGD 2k.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Mar 17 2019, 11:08 AM
kambingkoh
post Mar 17 2019, 10:24 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(SejukCerita @ Mar 16 2019, 09:10 PM)
Hi, I have set a budget of RM7k for both the stone and ring. Among the many choices offered by Habib, tomei and wah chan,  this is the one I believe is the bang for the buck.
QUOTE(SejukCerita @ Mar 16 2019, 09:13 PM)
By the way sorry I forgot to mention that the price is including 18k white gold ring 😃
So I guess the thing that caught your eye is the price? tongue.gif I am not sure how good is the optical precision of the diamond, but the below diamond seems to have better face-up size than the diamond you have your eyes on.
user posted image
It also has very good optical precision at the same time. And... It also has better clarity, and better HCA score.

Memory Jewellery is able to source it for you, Zcova is able to source it for you, Tailored Jewel is able to source it for you. Together with a ring setting, you should max at RM 7k or maybe lower.

Let me know if you have further questions.
VvF3nG
post Mar 17 2019, 11:37 AM

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 17 2019, 10:05 AM)
Now, this is am interesting one. Have you tried the HCA tool? https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca?, the score is 1.5, and so we can guess that the pavilion and crown angle is working together, which makes sense because the crown angle is sooo steep, and the pavilion angle is sooo shallow. Crown angle and Pavilion angle always work as an inverse of each other - one steep one shallow, whichever also can. The steepness of the crown and the tall crown height will make this diamond to have excellent fire I presume, but that is assuming the light return is not bad, which I am not too sure in this case since the total diamond depth is pretty deep. But since you saw the diamond and like it, i think it meets your requirement.

The reason this diamond is getting a so-called good cut is because the numbers... But this doesn't mean it will be that bad in real life if it is not leaking light or leaking too much light and the relationship is good between the crown and Pavilion angles, which is the case here.

Now, the not-so-good part: The calculated ideal weight is actually between 0.47ct - 0.48ct. In other words, it will look like a ideally cut 0.47ct or 0.48ct. Take a look at this 0.45ct, which has a bigger face-up size than your diamond:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view...amond-276952094

user posted image

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD...s&action=newTab
user posted image

So you might wonder why 0.5ct? This is because the extra carat weight is hidden in the diamond total depth. Meaning all the extra goodness of the carat is hidden from the normal viewing position, which is facing-up, but yet, you are paying something extra for what you cannot see. And why would they cut it to 0.5ct? I can only guess they did it on purpose because 0.5ct is much more tempting than a 0.45ct right, as far as the number sounds. And one of the factors to determine the price is carat weight, not the face-up diameters.

Take a look at BlueNile. This diamond looks pretty good looking overall, but it has the same specs as yours as far as the 4Cs are concerned. Check out the price... So is it overpriced? If compare to BlueNile, I would say the price you paying is pretty fair since SG has taxes. But if compare to the earlier 0.45ct, I would say it has a better overall value than your diamond. This is because the face-up size is bigger, the diamond is 3EX, the overall look is very good-looking, and yet, it is still cheaper. And since this stone is on virtual inventory, other vendors may be able to offer even cheaper price. I would guess you can get it between RM 5300 to RM 5500 for this diamond in Malaysia. This is because you are saving the 7% VAT, so you won't reach RM 6k or SGD 2k.
The score is 1.5 out of 5? omg.
I should've asked here earlier. I never expect there is so much of consideration when buying a diamond.
It was my first time to purchase a diamond and i found all of them is basically look the same.
i was so struggling when choosing them. tsk.
so from your professional point of view, this diamond is not really worth it?

kambingkoh
post Mar 17 2019, 02:17 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(VvF3nG @ Mar 17 2019, 11:37 AM)
The score is 1.5 out of 5? omg.
I should've asked here earlier. I never expect there is so much of consideration when buying a diamond.
It was my first time to purchase a diamond and i found all of them is basically look the same.
i was so struggling when choosing them. tsk.
so from your professional point of view, this diamond is not really worth it?
Erm 1.5 is actually good. Hca is a rejection tool and we aim for diamonds below 2.

From my layman point of view (not pro in anyway as I don't hold any pro title), it is not worth it but I am not talking about performance, because the proportions may work. I am talking about paper value. This is because on paper, this diamond is not even a Triple Excellent, which is what most, if not all jewellers are looking for their customers. Triple Excellent is sometimes being overused for marketing purpose, despite that, it still hold certain degree of "prestige". If you are all into performance, then your diamond may even work well against a poorly cut (as in actual 3D cutting precision, and not the Cut in the 4Cs) Triple Excellent, but without any images, I am just guessing, since I believe it caught your attention. Also, I can find a diamond at a slightly smaller carat weight that is cheaper but face-up larger than the diamond you chosen, and it is a Triple Excellent, so I would prefer that more. But since you prefer the carat more, then that's certainly fine. But always remember, carat doesn't equates to how big the diamond would look, it will only tell you how heavy it is.

BTW, Did the seller actually show you other diamonds that fall under Triple Excellent?
VvF3nG
post Mar 17 2019, 04:46 PM

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 17 2019, 02:17 PM)
Erm 1.5 is actually good. Hca is a rejection tool and we aim for diamonds below 2.

From my layman point of view (not pro in anyway as I don't hold any pro title), it is not worth it but I am not talking about performance, because the proportions may work. I am talking about paper value. This is because on paper, this diamond is not even a Triple Excellent, which is what most, if not all jewellers are looking for their customers. Triple Excellent is sometimes being overused for marketing purpose, despite that, it still hold certain degree of "prestige". If you are all into performance, then your diamond may even work well against a poorly cut (as in actual 3D cutting precision, and not the Cut in the 4Cs) Triple Excellent, but without any images, I am just guessing, since I believe it caught your attention. Also, I can find a diamond at a slightly smaller carat weight that is cheaper but face-up larger than the diamond you chosen, and it is a Triple Excellent, so I would prefer that more. But since you prefer the carat more, then that's certainly fine. But always remember, carat doesn't equates to how big the diamond would look, it will only tell you how heavy it is.

BTW, Did the seller actually show you other diamonds that fall under Triple Excellent?
Yes but in term of clarity and colour, the rest are not really good though prices are lower compared to this.
I knew that cut is important but didn’t know it affects much after reading this post. That’s why I go for carat instead of cut. Haha (my idea was my soon-to-be fiancé/any woman may prefer bigger size of diamond than cut right? )
So I was thinking as long the diamond looks shiny and clean by going for higher grade of clarity and colour then it’d good.
Hope it looks good upon fixing onto the casing.
kambingkoh
post Mar 17 2019, 05:11 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(VvF3nG @ Mar 17 2019, 04:46 PM)
Yes but in term of clarity and colour, the rest are not really good though prices are lower compared to this.
I knew that cut is important but didn’t know it affects much after reading this post. That’s why I go for carat instead of cut. Haha (my idea was my soon-to-be fiancé/any woman may prefer bigger size of diamond than cut right? )
So I was thinking as long the diamond looks shiny and clean by going for higher grade of clarity and colour then it’d good.
Hope it looks good upon fixing onto the casing.
Yes, I guess carat is what most people prefer anyway, and that is probably the first thing they are looking for. Your numbers are a bit weird but as I said, they might work. wink.gif since you bought it, must well enjoy it bro!
VvF3nG
post Mar 17 2019, 07:11 PM

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 17 2019, 05:11 PM)
Yes, I guess carat is what most people prefer anyway, and that is probably the first thing they are looking for. Your numbers are a bit weird but as I said, they might work. wink.gif since you bought it, must well enjoy it bro!
Well. Thanks bro!
kambingkoh
post Mar 20 2019, 11:45 AM

Getting Started

Money Match is offering RM 60 off for first timer that used their money remittance service! (as long as you use my referral code in the image below, valid til 31 March)

user posted image

With the Ringgit slightly stronger against USD compared to last week, now is quite a good time to buy some superb quality diamonds from the US! Last checked, Brian Gavin Diamonds (affiliate link) inventory has been updated with a new batch of diamonds! Despite they do not provide free shipping, but you might be able to get it if you ask them. Yes, might, but worth a shot. And even with paid shipment, their prices seem to be quite competitive these days, so do check them out.

For instance, this is quite a good buy, for its size reaches 5.0mm mark! - https://black.briangavindiamonds.com/diamon...?a_aid=myengexp (affiliate link) priced at USD 1567 / RM 6446.69. The proportions tell me that this is going to be a diamond will sparkle boldly with excellent fire -> small table, high crown, short lower girdle, and excellent crown angle + pavilion angle pairing! Despite no images being uploaded yet, I can basically buy blind for Brian Gavin's stone because their consistency is high. Anyway, for those who interested, feel free to check with their sales consultant to find out further.

Compare the diamond above to this:
https://black.briangavindiamonds.com/diamon...?a_aid=myengexp (affiliate link) priced at USD 2250 / RM 9256.57, the difference will be subtle, yet you enjoy a saving of RM 2809.88!

Again, remember you might have to take into account approximately USD 50+ / RM 205.70+ for shipping if they don't ship you for free.

And for what's worth, if you prefer peace of mind with everything inclusive including free shipping, then this WhiteFlash Collection Series (affilate link) diamond is a good contender:
Attached Image
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link) priced at USD 1342 / RM 5521.03! This is certainly a very good stone with extreme eye-cleanliness. And check out the video!

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Mar 20 2019, 02:26 PM
ub3rg33k
post Mar 20 2019, 03:44 PM

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Mar 6 2019, 10:46 PM)
0.605 ct F VVS2 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link)

Not sure this one is a pre-loved (second hand) stone or not, but it is worth asking:
0.608 ct E VS1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link)

Do note that AGS takes GIA faint fluorescence as AGS negligible as well.
hey kambingkoh just thought I'd update you a bit. It's been awhile and I've been so busy planning the other stuff.

After so much consideration, I decided to plonk my hard-earned cash on the 0.6 E here you recommended. Talked to WF gemologist quite a lot too and made sure the affiliate link was registered (she confirmed it did). Given your help, I am glad you are also able to benefit from the purchase.

Won't arrive so soon as I asked them to delay the shipping as I will be on vacation next week, but the MoneyMatch transfer went through and is waiting for clearing. Also using your referral code.

The plan is to get it set at TJ when I am back next weekend as they seem to work with platinum and I think their solitaire ring designs are really excellent. A bit short on time though so hopefully they can pull it through.

kambingkoh
post Mar 20 2019, 04:18 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ub3rg33k @ Mar 20 2019, 03:44 PM)
hey kambingkoh just thought I'd update you a bit. It's been awhile and I've been so busy planning the other stuff.

After so much consideration, I decided to plonk my hard-earned cash on the 0.6 E here you recommended. Talked to WF gemologist quite a lot too and made sure the affiliate link was registered (she confirmed it did). Given your help, I am glad you are also able to benefit from the purchase.

Won't arrive so soon as I asked them to delay the shipping as I will be on vacation next week, but the MoneyMatch transfer went through and is waiting for clearing. Also using your referral code.

The plan is to get it set at TJ when I am back next weekend as they seem to work with platinum and I think their solitaire ring designs are really excellent. A bit short on time though so hopefully they can pull it through.
Yea it did. Thanks for the confirmation!

Share some photos when received! wink.gif

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0845sec    4.73    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd March 2019 - 02:08 AM