Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!! (Advice Wanted)

kambingkoh
post Jul 10 2018, 02:26 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

MoneyMatch rate is very good today. It has been going downwards since morning. For those who wish to purchase online, do observe the rates. Also, please take note that the best rates will be during working hours, after that, most likely will be higher and it is best to wait to the next day 9am to check the rates again.

As of now, rate to USD is 4.0388. And since we are still having tax-free period, there will be no tax when we import diamonds to Malaysia.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Jul 10 2018, 02:26 PM
Nando's
post Jul 10 2018, 03:56 PM

Getting Started

Just got my 0.5c diamond from Brian Gavin.

Thanks a lot to kambingkoh.
kambingkoh
post Jul 10 2018, 03:57 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Nando's @ Jul 10 2018, 03:56 PM)
Just got my 0.5c diamond from Brian Gavin.

Thanks a lot to kambingkoh.
No problem! Keep buying! biggrin.gif
bb100
post Jul 10 2018, 04:35 PM

Editable...finally!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 8 2018, 01:27 AM)
It is actually splitting hairs, but I usually advise based on proportions first, followed by images and will also take a look at the videos.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I have some comments regarding your statement above for discussion purposes.

Any reasons for you to evaluate a diamond based on its proportions first and then only its scope images? If I have access to scope images, I would not even bother to look at the diamond proportions. Here is why.

In research terms, to study something based on numbers and subsequently arrive to a conclusion using a well-defined model is called "numerical analysis". On the other hand, to test something using available hardware and conclude the test outcomes based on the results generated is termed "experimental evidence". More often than not, numerical analyses have to be experimentally validated regardless of how established a numerical model is, because modelling is an ideal representation of our real world.
kambingkoh
post Jul 10 2018, 05:06 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(bb100 @ Jul 10 2018, 04:35 PM)
I have some comments regarding your statement above for discussion purposes.

Any reasons for you to evaluate a diamond based on its proportions first and then only its scope images? If I have access to scope images, I would not even bother to look at the diamond proportions. Here is why.

In research terms, to study something based on numbers and subsequently arrive to a conclusion using a well-defined model is called "numerical analysis". On the other hand, to test something using available hardware and conclude the test outcomes based on the results generated is termed "experimental evidence". More often than not, numerical analyses have to be experimentally validated regardless of how established a numerical model is, because modelling is an ideal representation of our real world.
This is because for companies like WhiteFlash or Brian Gavin Diamonds, their IdealScope and ASET are pretty top-notch to begin with. So I will filter based on the numbers first, this is because for example, the bigger the spread of the diamond, the fire may get slightly lesser. And also, the shallower the crown angle, the fire may get lesser as well. So I will tend to filter things on these 2 proportions first.

Then, we have the lower girdle, I will always give 76% lower girdle priority first if everything else looks prettt much similar. I would say is some sort of filtering technique I will use first.

Once I shortlisted the diamonds, then I will look into the images and split hairs. I will then highlight what I think of those diamonds.Of course, the downside is that I may miss some real good ones. Of course, to mitigate this, we can filter out the other "missed out" ones into a separate category and filter from there based on images as well.

Besides, there can be diamonds that can fall out of the ideal proportions, like having 32.5 crown angle to look pretty good in terms of Hearts and Arrows. But then, it is highly unlikely for me to pick that diamond. And when I see a 41.4 degree pavilion angle diamond, I will definitely skip it. It is a 99% sure formula for light leakage.

Let's just is just my filtering technique based on my own set of proportions. Usually I seldom apply on WhiteFlash or Brian Gavin Diamonds stones, but it will definitely be useful when apply on Zoara stones.

To add on, it is absolute no problem to do with scope images first. Then, only apply the numbers when things are too close to decide.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Jul 10 2018, 05:08 PM
xerofear
post Jul 11 2018, 02:03 PM

Been super busy this few days. Gladly appreciate the comments and inputs that the sifus have given.

So far, dropped by Wah Chan MV to have a look at their diamonds. Quoted a 0.38c diamond (GIA 7282561940) with a basic solitaire twist setting for RM 6k. Not really happy with diamond proportions though. Didn't have time to peruse more.
kambingkoh
post Jul 11 2018, 02:53 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(xerofear @ Jul 11 2018, 02:03 PM)
Been super busy this few days. Gladly appreciate the comments and inputs that the sifus have given.

So far, dropped by Wah Chan MV to have a look at their diamonds. Quoted a 0.38c diamond (GIA 7282561940) with a basic solitaire twist setting for RM 6k. Not really happy with diamond proportions though. Didn't have time to peruse more.
This will be something close to it:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link). I will have some minor complains for this stone, but it is definitely better than WC's one.
Stone alone will cost you USD 1025, which converts to roughly RM 4156.53. Ring setting my Memory Jewellery will cost you RM 1499. Final price will be RM 5655.53.

WC stone's calcualated ideal weight is 4.58 x 4.61 x 2.89 x 0.0061 = 0.372ct, rounding to 3 decimal places. If follow GIA standard, it will round to 0.37ct. The pairing of both steep crown and steep pavilion will most likely hard to work as good as super ideal in this case. 35.5 may work better if pair with 40.6 degree pavilion angle, although not guarantee.

As for the WF stone, the calculated ideal weight is 0.340ct, rounding to 3 decimal places. Meaning the stone has a difference of 0.002ct compared to the ideal weight. However, if we see it from GIA point of view, this stone will be 0.34ct on GIA cert. In other words, I won't really call the cutter cheater this stone.

I may update on what I think about the WF stone later, but for now, it is not a good buy from Wah Chan.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Jul 11 2018, 03:05 PM
kambingkoh
post Jul 13 2018, 03:53 PM

Getting Started

ZCOVA's promotion is back again. This time even cheaper than before.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid...775461832580869

It is more or less the removal of 6% GST. It is good to see such business takes action in Malaysia!

With this promotion, as far as 0.3ct is concerned, I have to say that the prices from Zoara is hard to beat it.

There may still be some alternative way to get even cheaper price if we DIY ourselves, but at this price point, I think the price is fair enough, considering they own a physical store and responsible for anything that might happen to the diamond during setting.

Besides, they even provide instalments and credit card facility as well!

Last but not least, you will get the standard free engraving, free resizing, free delivery from them as well. They may also possibly provide you with lifetime free rhodium replating as well, but I could be wrong about this, so do check with them.

Overall, this is definitely good news for those who just need a 0.3ct Triple Excellent GIA diamond!

And yes, I am referring to 0.3ct only. As for 0.4ct and 0.5ct, unless you need the free shipping, instalment, credit card facility, one-stop service, and responsiblity for the diamond should anything happen, if not, then Zoara's pricing still win. That is as far as KL PJ is concerned.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Jul 13 2018, 07:13 PM
Blakey
post Jul 16 2018, 02:07 PM

Group: Newbie

Hi sifus, started looking around for a diamond engagement ring mostly and preferably at retail stores.. with the upcoming sst, will the pricing increase drastically? My budget around 6k tops and those sales person says will increase up to 10k when sst kicks in. Can’t understand the maths there or they just wanna “push” customers?
kambingkoh
post Jul 16 2018, 05:01 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Blakey @ Jul 16 2018, 02:07 PM)
Hi sifus, started looking around for a diamond engagement ring mostly and preferably at retail stores.. with the upcoming sst, will the pricing increase drastically? My budget around 6k tops and those sales person says will increase up to 10k when sst kicks in. Can’t understand the maths there or they just wanna “push” customers?
Personally I dont think will be that drastic. 6k jump to 10k is absurd. You may want to check out ZCOVA's recent promo: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid...775461832580869.

It will certainly stretch your budget abit if you get the 0.4ct, but I would say the overall price is pretty good. Although I mentioned above that the DIY online route can be cheaper, but the difference is actually more or less just RM 200 savings, but in exchange, you will get all the service under one roof, together with an assurance that the stone from sourcing to mounting will be their responsibility, which is good.

As for stone quality, they are GIA Triple Excellent but if you read even a little on the internet, GIA Triple Excellent does not mean it is good enough. What I can say is that they won't be bad stones, but when compared side-by-side with a better stone, one may be able to observe the difference. Nonetheless, I would still say their promotion is good.

If you want other jewellers, you can also check out Tailored Jewel, Memory Jewellery, iDo Jewellery, Eumayco Jewellery etc. They basically operate the same way, just that iDo don't really own a physical shop while Tailored usually will meet up outside at a cafe or something, as far as my last experience counts.

You can also visit Wah Chan at Section 14 PJ. That is their signature store, so shouls have more stones to choose from. Or, you can also visit Lazo Diamonds, which seems pretty affordable.

Compare around and see how things work for you.
Blakey
post Jul 16 2018, 07:56 PM

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 16 2018, 05:01 PM)
Personally I dont think will be that drastic. 6k jump to 10k is absurd. You may want to check out ZCOVA's recent promo: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid...775461832580869.

It will certainly stretch your budget abit if you get the 0.4ct, but I would say the overall price is pretty good. Although I mentioned above that the DIY online route can be cheaper, but the difference is actually more or less just RM 200 savings, but in exchange, you will get all the service under one roof, together with an assurance that the stone from sourcing to mounting will be their responsibility, which is good.

As for stone quality, they are GIA Triple Excellent but if you read even a little on the internet, GIA Triple Excellent does not mean it is good enough. What I can say is that they won't be bad stones, but when compared side-by-side with a better stone, one may be able to observe the difference. Nonetheless, I would still say their promotion is good.

If you want other jewellers, you can also check out Tailored Jewel,  Memory Jewellery, iDo Jewellery, Eumayco Jewellery etc. They basically operate the same way, just that iDo don't really own a physical shop while Tailored usually will meet up outside at a cafe or something, as far as my last experience counts.

You can also visit Wah Chan at Section 14 PJ. That is their signature store, so shouls have more stones to choose from. Or, you can also visit Lazo Diamonds, which seems pretty affordable.

Compare around and see how things work for you.
Thanks for the advise! The brick & mortar stores would still be my first option. You reckon love & co?

kambingkoh
post Jul 16 2018, 09:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Blakey @ Jul 16 2018, 07:56 PM)
Thanks for the advise! The brick & mortar stores would still be my first option. You reckon love & co?
Their rings are pretty. Their signature diamond LoveMarque is graded by IIDGR, which belongs to DeBeers, the world's biggest diamond mining company. Last time I asked Paul Slegers in PriceScope about this lab and he mentiones that the grades are slightly more lenient compared to GIA, but then he thinks that those stone may be rejected stones therefore, he cannot draw a conclusion that IIDGR is less strict:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/thread...5/#post-3994476

Paul Slegers cut the famous Crafted by Infinity stones. It is another high quality super ideal brand.

Overall, i really like how LoveMarque represents some bigger players in the industry are trying to show the customers how is the cut quality of the diamond by inclusing both Hearts and Arrows actual images on the cert. This is certainly good news. The proportions of this collection can be slightly off my preferred range, but overall, I would say very decent. And regarding the cut quality, I have seen two of their Hearts and Arrows diamond and one of them I will only say it is a near Hearts and Arrows diamond. The other, can't exactly rmb. The cool thing about this diamond is definitely the laser inscription on the surface of the diamond, if not mistaken, I think it is on the table of the diamond. Price wise, not too cheap - I think I was quoted RM 17k for 0.5ct. Cant rmb the colour or clarity, but knowing the fact that I can settle on a 0.5 E VVS2 on 18k white gold ring at RM 11k, I am pretty sure I won't go for it:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link).

One thing to be aware is that Love & Co mix the old IGI graded stones with the new IIDGR graded stones. If you want to buy this collection, I would say try to stick to IIDGR. At least this lab gives me more confident because of how they are able to provide the images.

For your budget of 6k, hopefully you cab land on something around 0.3x ct. I won't put my hopes high on 0.4ct because it is afterall a brick-and-mortar chain-store that has gained some fame in Malaysia, so it won't be cheap.

If you decided to go for normal stones instead, chances should be better elsewhere to be able to get a better performing stone. Can consider Solitaire Club at selected Wah Chan branch.
deathTh3Cannon
post Jul 16 2018, 10:18 PM

Getting Started

hi, any recommendation for wedding bands for around 5k budget for a pair ?
Blakey
post Jul 16 2018, 10:28 PM

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 16 2018, 09:26 PM)
Their rings are pretty. Their signature diamond LoveMarque is graded by IIDGR, which belongs to DeBeers, the world's biggest diamond mining company. Last time I asked Paul Slegers in PriceScope about this lab and he mentiones that the grades are slightly more lenient compared to GIA, but then he thinks that those stone may be rejected stones therefore, he cannot draw a conclusion that IIDGR is less strict:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/thread...5/#post-3994476

Paul Slegers cut the famous Crafted by Infinity stones. It is another high quality super ideal brand.

Overall, i really like how LoveMarque represents some bigger players in the industry are trying to show the customers how is the cut quality of the diamond by inclusing both Hearts and Arrows actual images on the cert. This is certainly good news. The proportions of this collection can be slightly off my preferred range, but overall, I would say very decent. And regarding the cut quality, I have seen two of their Hearts and Arrows diamond and one of them I will only say it is a near Hearts and Arrows diamond. The other, can't exactly rmb. The cool thing about this diamond is definitely the laser inscription on the surface of the diamond, if not mistaken, I think it is on the table of the diamond. Price wise, not too cheap - I think I was quoted RM 17k for 0.5ct. Cant rmb the colour or clarity, but knowing the fact that I can settle on a 0.5 E VVS2 on 18k white gold ring at RM 11k, I am pretty sure I won't go for it:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link).

One thing to be aware is that Love & Co mix the old IGI graded stones with the new IIDGR graded stones. If you want to buy this collection, I would say try to stick to IIDGR. At least this lab gives me more confident because of how they are able to provide the images.

For your budget of 6k, hopefully you cab land on something around 0.3x ct. I won't put my hopes high on 0.4ct because it is afterall a brick-and-mortar chain-store that has gained some fame in Malaysia, so it won't be cheap.

If you decided to go for normal stones instead, chances should be better elsewhere to be able to get a better performing stone. Can consider Solitaire Club at selected Wah Chan branch.
You’re right about the laser inscription and indeed gives a different touch! Yeah, not expecting more than 0.4 with this brand~ The hunt continues! Have a good one brother

kambingkoh
post Jul 16 2018, 10:32 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Blakey @ Jul 16 2018, 10:28 PM)
You’re right about the laser inscription and indeed gives a different touch! Yeah, not expecting more than 0.4 with this brand~ The hunt continues! Have a good one brother
All right! Enjoy the process!
kambingkoh
post Jul 17 2018, 07:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(deathTh3Cannon @ Jul 16 2018, 10:18 PM)
hi, any recommendation for wedding bands for around 5k budget for a pair ?
5k for a pair? Your options are pretty wide:

https://memoryjewellery.com/category/wedding-ring/

https://www.tailoredjewel.com/product-categ...ens-collection/

https://www.tailoredjewel.com/product-categ...ens-collection/

Can try brick-and-mortar stores as well. I am wearing SK's band, and it feels good. Love & Co should be the same since both are sister company.
kambingkoh
post Today, 12:36 AM

Getting Started

MoneyMatch has just up their referral discount to RM 50! Not sure it is just for limited time or not, but it is surelynsome great savings to counter the higher exchange rate recently.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid...867240249995400

Want to get that discount code? Just key in my referral code REF_ACOO and get RM 50 off your first transaction! There should be T&C applied but since diamonds ain't cheap, we can probably get the discount easily!

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Today, 12:39 AM

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0730sec    1.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 06:25 AM