Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

228 Pages « < 101 102 103 104 105 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Advice Wanted [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!!

views

bb100
post Jun 28 2018, 03:04 PM

Editable...finally!
1,439 posts

QUOTE(bHappyz @ Jun 28 2018, 02:53 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

We can order from any shop where they can get it from source ?
since GIA number must be unique and distinct.
No harm trying with JP. In case you have not already known, JP do not do ring settings for stones purchased elsewhere.

You can tell them directly that you are not looking for their signature series and you just want a good performing 3Ex stone. They have quite a lot to offer. They also have an extensive range of fancy shaped diamonds to choose from.
kambingkoh
post Jun 28 2018, 05:10 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(bHappyz @ Jun 28 2018, 02:56 PM)
Yes Kambingkoh.

HOH = House of Hung.
Jannpaul located inside HOH.

Usually they carry ideal cut diamond while Jannpaul have more variety of cut and more premium one.
Kindly provide me the GIA number as well?
001hp
post Jun 29 2018, 10:11 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(bHappyz @ Jun 28 2018, 02:53 PM)
Yes, exactly.
Might consider purchase from them to save some hassle since working in SG.
In such case, is that meant if we have particular eye on specific diamond with GIA number.
We can order from any shop where they can get it from source ?
since GIA number must be unique and distinct.
True, is like saving few hundred bucks but cost alot of time. I heard if only ring setting is quite expensive in Singapore. Maybe due to high labour cost. And I can't confirm the ring size so resize maybe another cost.

QUOTE(bb100 @ Jun 28 2018, 03:04 PM)
No harm trying with JP. In case you have not already known, JP do not do ring settings for stones purchased elsewhere.

You can tell them directly that you are not looking for their signature series and you just want a good performing 3Ex stone. They have quite a lot to offer. They also have an extensive range of fancy shaped diamonds to choose from.
Alright bro, I have a appointment with them tomorrow. Let see whether they have some ideal diamond offer.

001hp
post Jun 29 2018, 10:30 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jun 28 2018, 10:39 AM)
Now this is interesting. Sorry what is HOH? House of Hung?

Can you provide me the GIA number so that I can check the price as well?
I haven't get the GIA from the House of Hung. I checking out tomorrow.

So right now i eyed on some of the diamond below
https://whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round...ond-3999654.htm

https://whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round...ond-3231093.htm

https://whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round...ond-3738890.htm

If JP/HOH able to offer a decent 3ex diamond for 0.5, I may consider get from them since they come with free resize and polish service. Plus the setting price is fixed.
kambingkoh
post Jun 30 2018, 12:06 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(001hp @ Jun 29 2018, 10:11 PM)
True, is like saving few hundred bucks but cost alot of time. I heard if only ring setting is quite expensive in Singapore. Maybe due to high labour cost. And I can't confirm the ring size so resize maybe another cost.
Alright bro, I have a appointment with them tomorrow. Let see whether they have some ideal diamond offer.
If you buying existing design, the mould is there and there just need to melt the gold in and do whatever that is necessary, so the labour cost is not high. Even if you want some moderate modification, with 3D printing technology, life is actually easier for the jewellers to make the ring. In my opinion, the high cost can only because you are not buying the diamond from them, so they actually make lesser money from there. In fact, as the diamond goes bigger, the profit from the diamond is actually quite substantial. Another reason could be because they outsource the work to some other jeweller manufacturer. Not all jewellers have their own factory.

White gold is not expensive. In Malaysia, I will give it around RM 140 per gram for gold alone. This price will probably exclude the workmanship, but let us just use it as base. RM 140 x 3g ring = RM 420. Btw, the price I listed is actually those price you can see in goldsmith store, some will include the workmanship so the price per gram will be higher, while some will exclude the workmanship so price per gram will be lower. What I actually want to say is that at this price, the business owner already earning some profit because I don't think they will sell at cost.

For white gold, I particularly like Lazo Diamonds no bullshit attitude (as far as my little experience counts la). They will just tell you straight how much. There is no need to haggle. You might feel strange they don't allow you to haggle at first, this is because who does not haggle at the jeweller store? Then, after surveying 2 other stores that sell approximately the same weight, Lazo Diamonds is actually the cheapest, yet, from what I calculate, they are selling at slightly more than 100% on top my own estimated gold price. For example, a 3g ring setting at Lazo Diamond is actually selling between RM 900 to RM 1000. Quality wise? Looks decent enough!

kambingkoh
post Jun 30 2018, 12:17 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(001hp @ Jun 29 2018, 10:30 PM)
I haven't get the GIA from the House of Hung. I checking out tomorrow.

So right now i eyed on some of the diamond below
https://whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round...ond-3999654.htm

https://whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round...ond-3231093.htm

https://whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round...ond-3738890.htm

If JP/HOH able to offer a decent 3ex diamond for 0.5, I may consider get from them since they come with free resize and polish service. Plus the setting price is fixed.
Diamond 1 has some minor misalignment of arrow head and body at 6 o'clock position.

Diamond 2 I will skip it. There is one heart that is smaller than the rest.

Diamond 3 looks not bad. However, it is a 2016 stone. Hmm.. can you check with them whether this is a 2nd hand stone? Probably someone return it for an upgrade. It is possible.

Personally like this one: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link)
New stone, great H&A.

And yea, I hope you can finally come down to an ideal diamond. If you don't buy the higher price, I think Jann Paul is worth it.
NYC
post Jun 30 2018, 03:33 AM

19 posts

dear bros, trying to follow all the thread from one to another for the past few hours.
same like all the bros here, we are here for the same reason.

I am planning to get one for my proposal.
I have a budget of RM5,000 for both setting and Diamond.
For setting: Simple will do.
For Diamond: I dont really have any idea. What is the biggest carat possible to get in this range without sacrificing much on the cut and clarity?

Where should i heading to?
Online (local or oversea)? or just walk in to any jewelry store for options.

Your advice is very much appreciated.
bb100
post Jun 30 2018, 09:29 AM

Editable...finally!
1,439 posts

QUOTE(NYC @ Jun 30 2018, 03:33 AM)

My advice is first look around your local jewellery stores to get their offers before checking online. This will enable you to make comparisons and ultimately, an informed decision.
bb100
post Jun 30 2018, 09:35 AM

Editable...finally!
1,439 posts

Coming back after a long disappearance from this topic, I found that round brilliants are still the to-go shape for Malaysians for their engagement rings, despite having higher price per carat.

No love for fancy shapes?
kambingkoh
post Jul 1 2018, 12:00 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(NYC @ Jun 30 2018, 03:33 AM)
dear bros, trying to follow all the thread from one to another for the past few hours.
same like all the bros here, we are here for the same reason.

I am planning to get one for my proposal.
I have a budget of RM5,000 for both setting and Diamond.
For setting: Simple will do.
For Diamond: I dont really have any idea. What is the biggest carat possible to get in this range without sacrificing much on the cut and clarity? 

Yes, as advised by bb100, go to local jeweler first and get a hang of it.

For online, this looks pretty decent:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link).

Minor complain would be the arrow on the right (3 o'clock) seems to be shorter than the arrow on the left (9 o'clock). But it is still a pretty decent stone. This stone may not has the best video among all ACAs, but it indeed has the best value if we factor in the colour and clarity. It will be a pretty good buy I would say.

Price is USD 889. In Ringgit it would be around RM 3618.23, assuming exchange rate of 4.07. No GST will incur when import, so it is good. Memory Jewellery can go between RM 1000 to RM 1499. These days they are focusing on RM 1499 more, so we factor that in. So total will be approximately RM 5117.23. Is the price comfortable enough? If no, perhaps you can nego on the ring setting or go for slightly cheaper alternatives available. Buying online is always flexi. Also, some other jewellers also rely on supplier images and videos only, so since I most likely won't be getting any of the performance images from this jeweller, must well stick to the one who can provide.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Jul 1 2018, 12:05 AM
kambingkoh
post Jul 1 2018, 12:08 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(bb100 @ Jun 30 2018, 09:35 AM)
Coming back after a long disappearance from this topic, I found that round brilliants are still the to-go shape for Malaysians for their engagement rings, despite having higher price per carat.

No love for fancy shapes?
Haha. Round is still the top performer mah. Fancy shape is hard to get performance details online. The only jeweller I know who put some online is Brian Gavin Diamonds. There is one cushion shape lying around with some decent performance. For other shapes, what will be your recommendation?
kambingkoh
post Jul 1 2018, 01:19 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

One Utama Wah Chan is having promo:
https://www.facebook.com/145157325529014/po...48084651902930/

Also, Tomei is having roadshow at the old wing as well.

For those who wants to get engagement ring, can drop by to look see look see.
bb100
post Jul 2 2018, 12:34 PM

Editable...finally!
1,439 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 1 2018, 12:08 AM)
Haha. Round is still the top performer mah. Fancy shape is hard to get performance details online. The only jeweller I know who put some online is Brian Gavin Diamonds. There is one cushion shape lying around with some decent performance. For other shapes, what will be your recommendation?
I don't know much about other shapes except for princess cut and heart shape.

Ideal proportions for princess cut are more or less standard and they are widely available online so it is not a mystery.

The same, however, cannot be said for heart shape, as it is very much dependable on personal preferences. Some might like a fatter heart (also called a happy heart) with a L/W ratio of less than 1 while some might prefer an elongated heart shape. There are some general guidelines to adhere to when browsing for heart shape diamonds. These are what I learnt during my hunt.

- table: 55% to 60%
- depth: 58% to 62%
- girdle: medium to slightly thick. Thin girdles are not recommended as chipping might occur at the pointed tip.
- symmetry and polish: excellent. DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN EXCELLENT as the diamond might look lopsided. For example, one lobe might be larger than the other, or the cleft and point might not be aligned, etc. Symmetry also refers to the view of the internal reflections on each half of the diamond from the top. One half must be a mirror image (well, not exactly, but almost there) of the other for the diamond to have excellent symmetry.
- clarity: eye-clean VS1 and above. As the facets on a heart shaped diamond are larger than RBs, eye cleanliness is very important. A speck of black crystal inclusion inside the diamond, for example, might be reflected and magnified by the various facets and into the viewer's eyes, thus making the stone look very unsightly.
- colour: G and above. Heart shaped diamonds tend to retain body colour, no thanks to its large facets. So if you would like to have your stone appear colourless, do not go lower than G.
- L/W: between 0.8 to 0.95 for ring settings.

Things to look out for:
- bow-tie effect underneath the table. A bow-tie like dark appearance from the top view is a no-no. Common occurrence for other fancy shapes like pear, marquise and oval.
- bulged wings. A bulging heart shape at the sides of the stone makes it look rounded. Not very appealing.
- badly defined cleft. The cleft (notch which separates the lobes) must be well defined from the top. A badly defined cleft makes your heart look like a round diamond minus the sparkle.

Hope whoever interested in heart shaped diamonds for their engagement rings would find these comments helpful.

This post has been edited by bb100: Jul 2 2018, 12:37 PM
bHappyz
post Jul 3 2018, 09:56 AM

17 posts

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jun 27 2018, 05:19 PM)
I recommended this in one of the posts above:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link)

USD 2179. Minus USD 25 for new customer because purchase above USD 2000. Comes with lifetime upgrade.

Just for reference. Will check out others when I have more time.

For performance, cut, and price, I think the best deal is from WhiteFlash. Beats all stores I have visited thus far, as far as Hearts and Arrows are concerned. But you can try to visit Solitaire Club at selected Wah Chan stores. Since the diamonds are branded as some other brand, I am not sure will they hike up the price or not. Perhaps you can try to FB msg them first.

Update:
Personally, I really like this one:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link).

It is not their signature ACA, but rather their Premium Select line which focuses on GIA stones.

The only thing i dont like is the calculated ideal weight is only 0.693ct. It doesn't matter if this diamond is a 0.69ct, but since it says it is a 0.7ct, I will feel abit cheated despite the difference is only 0.007ct.. haha, maybe is just me. Anyway, the price is really good and justifies it. But too be safe, I would ask the sales consultant to check on its fire and make sure it is fireball enough. You can always get in-touch with them at night time as US is morning that time.
Thanks bro, the 0.7 seems great choice.
Will have to make the tough decision soon hahaha.
kambingkoh
post Jul 3 2018, 07:56 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(bHappyz @ Jul 3 2018, 09:56 AM)
Thanks bro, the 0.7 seems great choice.
Will have to make the tough decision soon hahaha.
No problem. Good luck!
xerofear
post Jul 3 2018, 10:03 PM

41 posts

Ok done reading, learning and taking notes of all 103 pages of this thread.

I'm in the market atm looking to craft together an engagement ring. Planning to pop the question end of the year, so I have a bit off leeway to search around a bit. Budget is RM 5 to 5.5k for ring + setting. Planning to do customize solitaire setting so I'm looking at 3.5k-4k or so for the diamond.

With that in mind, some questions towards sifu @kambingkoh. Browsing through WhiteFlash, I came upon this diamond.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-3213721.htm

That diamond seems to have everything going for it, good depth, crown angle, pavillion angle albeit at the higher end of the limit. The ASET tells a different story though. So I'm curious as to why this particular diamond seems to not have the fire as compared to other ACA diamonds by WhiteFlash although having good proportions

Edit - How do I tag someone?

This post has been edited by xerofear: Jul 3 2018, 10:16 PM
kambingkoh
post Jul 3 2018, 11:54 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(xerofear @ Jul 3 2018, 10:03 PM)
Ok done reading, learning and taking notes of all 103 pages of this thread.

I'm in the market atm looking to craft together an engagement ring. Planning to pop the question end of the year, so I have a bit off leeway to search around a bit. Budget is RM 5 to 5.5k for ring + setting. Planning to do customize solitaire setting so I'm looking at 3.5k-4k or so for the diamond.

With that in mind, some questions towards sifu @kambingkoh. Browsing through WhiteFlash, I came upon this diamond.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-3213721.htm

That diamond seems to have everything going for it, good depth, crown angle, pavillion angle albeit at the higher end of the limit. The ASET tells a different story though. So I'm curious as to why this particular diamond seems to not have the fire as compared to other ACA diamonds by WhiteFlash although having good proportions

Edit - How do I tag someone?
This is how you tag someone: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2674338/all

This diamond proportions is well-within good proportions. However, the pairing between the total diamond depth and the table width % usually is deep (>=61.7% to 62%) + small (less than 56 or slightly over abit) OR shallow (>=60% to 61.3%) + wide (>=56.7% to 58%)... something like that. Just my observation for some decently cut diamonds that i come up with it. The numbers are made up for reference only, so take it with a pinch of salt.

However, after calculating the what is the ideal weight of this diamond, it seems that it is actually only 0.393ct! Meaning this diamond has cheated up to 0.41ct just to cross the 0.4ct mark i supposed. Nonetheless, this diamond's video looks rather good on my phone screen, however, there is too much penalty in terms of ASET and IdealScope. So I won't really recommend this one. You can see the weak light return at the border of the of the diamond based on the ASET image. Nonetheless, it is still better than a lot of diamonds in the market. Some are straight white in the center of the table, therefore this diamond is categorized as Expert Selection and not A Cut Above. For ACA, there go through strict process by their in-house staff - a few of them, before reaching a conclusion whether a stone is good enough to carry the ACA brand. With this, you will find that the ACAs are some of the best stone you can find.

And back to your question. Yes proportions are there, but how they get the numbers? It is actually based on the average number of 8 different sections of the diamond. Like the crown angle is 34.9, for ACA, one side can be 34.8 while the other side can be 35, so average is 34.9. However, for this Expert Selection, it can be one side 34.5 and the other side is 35.3 so as you see, there are lesser precision in terms of cutting, and hence affect the overall performance, but then, we still get 34.9 on paper. Other parts like paviliom angle is also based on a few sections of the pavilion and then average it.

Expert Selection can be good as some really just missed ACA by a little only. However, those really good ones I found that they are priced close to ACA if not mistaken, in this case, taking ACA perhaps can be all better option.

Hope this helps?

Good luck!
xerofear
post Jul 4 2018, 02:59 PM

41 posts

Thanks for the insight kambingkoh. Now applying learnt knowledge to practicality, I went and chose a few diamonds from WhiteFlash. Would require feedback if I'm on the right path regarding my analysis of these particular diamonds.

Diamond 1 (AGS-104100163012) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-4006518.htm
- Depth: 61.6%, Table: 55.6%, Crown Angle: 34.7, Pavillion Angle: 40.7 Proportions within range, HCA: 1.1
- Idealscope image: Slight misalignment on arrow at 2 o'clock arrow, slight asymetrical arrow base at 7 o'clock arrow
- ASET image: Some blue between 5 o'clock and 6 o'clock arrow. Duller return?

Diamond 2 (AGS-104099694019) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-3994071.htm
- Depth: 61.8%, Table: 55.9%, Crown Angle: 34.7, Pavillion Angle: 40.8 Proportions within range, HCA: 1.4
- Idealscope image: Very slightly smaller arrow head at 6o'clock arrow
- ASET image: Some blue between 3-4, 5-6, 7-9, 11-12 arrows.

Diamond 3, 'Pie' Carat tongue.gif (AGS-104099797015): https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-3999643.htm
- Depth: 61.2%, Table: 57%, Crown Angle: 34.4, Pavillion Angle: 40.8 Proportions within range
- Idealscope image: Very minor dark spots in a ring around the arrows. Spread of dark spots very even so provides good interesting contrast?
- ASET image: Can see the dark "ring" more obviously here

Personal comment: My god this diamond is so symmetrical

Diamond 4 (AGS-104098959006): https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-3981476.htm
- Depth: 61.8%, Table: 55.7%, Crown Angle: 34.8, Pavillion Angle: 40.9 Proportions within range
- Idealscope image: Very minor dark spots in a ring around the arrows, even smaller than prev diamond
- ASET image: Some blue on the right face in between the arrows. Duller return?

Comments appreciated
kambingkoh
post Jul 4 2018, 04:41 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(xerofear @ Jul 4 2018, 02:59 PM)
Thanks for the insight kambingkoh. Now applying learnt knowledge to practicality, I went and chose a few diamonds from WhiteFlash. Would require feedback if I'm on the right path regarding my analysis of these particular diamonds.

Diamond 1 (AGS-104100163012) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-4006518.htm
- Depth: 61.6%, Table: 55.6%, Crown Angle: 34.7, Pavillion Angle: 40.7 Proportions within range, HCA: 1.1
- Idealscope image: Slight misalignment on arrow at 2 o'clock arrow, slight asymetrical arrow base at 7 o'clock arrow
- ASET image: Some blue between 5 o'clock and 6 o'clock arrow. Duller return?

Diamond 2 (AGS-104099694019) https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-3994071.htm
- Depth: 61.8%, Table: 55.9%, Crown Angle: 34.7, Pavillion Angle: 40.8 Proportions within range, HCA: 1.4
- Idealscope image: Very slightly smaller arrow head at 6o'clock arrow
- ASET image: Some blue between 3-4, 5-6, 7-9, 11-12 arrows.

Diamond 3, 'Pie' Carat tongue.gif (AGS-104099797015): https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-3999643.htm
- Depth: 61.2%, Table: 57%, Crown Angle: 34.4, Pavillion Angle: 40.8 Proportions within range
- Idealscope image: Very minor dark spots in a ring around the arrows. Spread of dark spots very even so provides good interesting contrast?
- ASET image: Can see the dark "ring" more obviously here

Personal comment: My god this diamond is so symmetrical

Diamond 4 (AGS-104098959006): https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...ond-3981476.htm
- Depth: 61.8%, Table: 55.7%, Crown Angle: 34.8, Pavillion Angle: 40.9 Proportions within range
- Idealscope image: Very minor dark spots in a ring around the arrows, even smaller than prev diamond
- ASET image: Some blue on the right face in between the arrows. Duller return?

Comments appreciated
Wow. You chose some very nice diamonds. I am at work now so i can only see them tonight. Get back to you again!
bb100
post Jul 4 2018, 09:46 PM

Editable...finally!
1,439 posts

QUOTE(xerofear @ Jul 4 2018, 02:59 PM)

Comments appreciated
Diamonds 1, 2 and 3 are of VVS clarity. Need or not? Why pay extra for something which you can't see?

228 Pages « < 101 102 103 104 105 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0176sec    0.41    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:55 PM