Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

96 Pages « < 89 90 91 92 93 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Advice Wanted [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!!

views

kambingkoh
post Aug 19 2022, 01:18 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Hanapi-ap @ Aug 19 2022, 12:57 PM)
Where do people sell off or let go engagement ring? Oddly enough couldnt get any answer
Usually not easy. I saw people tried in caurosell, not sure success rate.

You can try and see if the shop got trade-in policy. Trade it for some item that can resell, maybe gold bar or something.
kambingkoh
post Aug 20 2022, 07:20 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(ebayer @ Aug 20 2022, 05:49 PM)
Hi sifu-sifu sekalian,

Any feedback on these diamonds:

https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=530208791

https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=520282984

Which one do you think is better? They are about the same price

Thanks in advance.
I like the proppotions of the E SI1 more.
kambingkoh
post Aug 30 2022, 10:55 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(axn992 @ Aug 29 2022, 11:57 PM)
https://gia.degemdiamond.com/gia/VSHIL036

Is this ok? How do I know whether it is lab grown or natural? Budget 10-15k. Any other options (0.4-0.5)? How about estrella?

I prefer platinum. Is it better than white gold?
I checked the hearts and arrows image, definitely not 100% hearts and arrows. However the proportions are decent enough. In real life you may not noticed too much difference I supposed if the diamond is cut to a better level of cut quality. Estrella may be better since they brand it as hearts and arrows, but the price should be higher too. For a virtual diamond and DeGem (brick-and-mortar) backing it up, I will say the diamond you asked has a fair price. Do note that this diamond has Faint fluorescence, which is actually nothing significant at this level, just that it is one of the factors that make the diamond price lower.

For your budget you can definitely go for 0.5ct, but don't have to be IF clarity, unless you want it. Btw, Estrella belongs to Diamond and Platinum, which owns by DeGem as well.

Personally, i will also prefer platinum overall white gold. They are actually rarer than gold if not mistaken, also, scratching it simply moves the platinum material around the same band, making a patina, while scratching a gold will make the gold trade paint with the surface you scratch against... This is what I read about before. In other words, scratching platinum is highly unlikely to let you lose platinum over the time, but scratching gold may. Anyway, take this with a pinch of salt.
kambingkoh
post Aug 30 2022, 10:20 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(axn992 @ Aug 30 2022, 08:14 PM)
Hi thanks for the reply. It is very informative. I went to DeGem and they recommended me to buy Forevermark diamonds. Are Forevermark diamonds good? Do they have GIA certification?

I got a quote for Forevermark ring
0.4CT
F
VS1
Triple Excellent
RM9800 with casing.

Is the price ok?
Forevermark will have a markup for their brand, they are graded by Forevermark themselves, and not relying on any third-party independent lab like GIA.

They have sufficient marketing, so if you want a brand that is known of internationally, then you can consider about it.

The price have to depends what design of the casing they provided, does it come with some side diamonds? Halo? Pave? All these can affect the final price of the casing.

RM 9800? I think without the 'branding', you can find some jewelers that can probably do it for you below 8k, together with a solitaire setting.

Here is an example. I filter it by LUMOS (ZCOVA in-house branding for their better diamonds), so I guess this diamond will meet LUMOS requirement.

user posted image

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Aug 30 2022, 10:24 PM
kambingkoh
post Sep 1 2022, 01:23 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(axn992 @ Sep 1 2022, 11:45 AM)
Good information. I am pondering between Estrella and Forevermark. With DeGem's ForeverMark, all casing comes in white gold which I don't really like. I went to Tiffany and Co yesterday and was presented with

I
ES
VVS1

RM16.1k

I like the Tiff and Co casing as it has a platinum finish and although the diamond color is I, it looks really nice. I'll head back to Estrella again and have a quick look and compare the price.

What are your thoughts on Tiffany and Co?
Do make sure Tiffany and Co is selling you a 3EX diamond, at the very least.

To me, T&Co is like one of the more famous brands for branded engagement rings. Wear it on hand, nobody will know it is a Tiffany ring since it looks pretty generic. Nonetheless, if my other half wants this and if I can afford it, then I will definitely getting one of these rings. If I am the one making the decision, then I will probably use the custom ring road. To put it simpler, it is like buying an Alienware PC or a custom gaming PC.
kambingkoh
post Sep 1 2022, 02:11 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(axn992 @ Sep 1 2022, 02:05 PM)
I guess when you say 3EX, you meant Excellent in precision of cut, polish and symmetry. Is that correct?
yeap
kambingkoh
post Sep 2 2022, 02:55 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(axn992 @ Sep 2 2022, 11:12 AM)
Hi guys,

Just confirming that price is non-negotiable in Tiffany and Co. Is that right?
I think it is negotiable. You can try. I never try before.
kambingkoh
post Sep 4 2022, 10:15 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(piggy2008 @ Sep 4 2022, 09:14 PM)
Dear Sifus,

Im planning to buy an engagement ring budget RM3k or less, Is this ring from Wah Chan worth it or should i buy something from Zcova and if so what is the recommendation? Your input is much accpreciated. Thanks in advance!

user posted image
The proportions seem alright, medium blue fluorescence can help to negate some possible "yellow" tint of the L colour diamond. To me, neither diamond nor white gold has much resell value, so I will just say buy something that you feel comfortable with and fits your budget.

Alternatively, if you can top up around 10% (approximately RM 3300), you can consider getting a lab-grown diamond from ZCOVA, together with a 14k ring setting. While 14k is not that standard in Malaysia market, it is quite common in counties like US. 14k uses less gold than 18k (58.5% vs 75%), hence cheaper price.

user posted image

Of course, this is just some quick search from their website, it is best if you can ask them personally and let them know your requirements. Maybe they can help to find a decent diamond that is slightly lower in colour and clarity and fit in into your budget.
kambingkoh
post Sep 16 2022, 08:03 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Sep 16 2022, 01:15 PM)
I read the first few pages, many said get the proposal ring that your gf or future wife likes. Noobie question, isn't proposal normally a suprise hence the proposal ring is a surprise as well?  How to know whether she will like it or not?  biggrin.gif
If you say don't know whether she likes the ring design or not, some companies will provide you the diamond first, or put on a temporary setting, after proposal only bring her go choose or design the setting she likes.

As for the diamond shape - round, princess, cushion... Sometimes gf may hint you. Sometimes you have to know her well enough to know what she likes. Sometimes she just doesn't mind whatever at all. Round is the most common one if no idea.

If you are still not comfortable with the diamond shape, then just get her a placement ring - a ring with cheaper materials like silver and cubic zirconia (diamond look alike stone, usually use for fashion rings). They are not too expensive to own, possibly like 3 digit figure, such as this:
https://shopee.com.my/product/316708917/110...70-1663329774.9

After that, shop the real deal with her.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Sep 16 2022, 08:04 PM
kambingkoh
post Sep 19 2022, 02:30 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Sep 19 2022, 01:29 PM)
Went to look-see at few shops in a mall, Poh Kong, Tomei and Wah Chan. The sales assistant at Wah Chan seems to have more knowledge on diamonds among the three, at least to a noobie like me. Wah Chan says that for resizing, they have to send the ring to KL for about 3 weeks. Well known companies like Wah Chan, Poh Kong won't swap the diamond, right?  biggrin.gif

Another question is, with the 10 digits GIA no, it is sufficient for me to check it online? Thank you
Don't think they will swap, they have been in this business for far too long to do that to spoil their reputation. Just make sure you check the inscription when you get it back.

As long as you got the full cert number, you can check it online.
kambingkoh
post Sep 19 2022, 04:45 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Sep 19 2022, 03:49 PM)
Using these 2 examples to educate myself, which is more preferable, or skip both? Both having feather inclusion (defect), is that a major cause of concern? In terms of Fluorescence, I suppose faint is better than medium blue? Thank you

0.45 carat
Color M
Clarity VVS1
Cut Excellent
Fluorescence Faint
Feather

0.40 carat
Color L
Clarity VS2
Cut Excellent
Fluorescence Medium Blue
Twinning Wisp, Feather, Crystal
VVS1 basically is overkill. A feather in VVS1 is nothing to be worried about. If can, I will try to lower the clarity to VS range and up the diamond colour. Personally I like VS1 because it gives me a peace of mind, but usually VS2 will be fine as well. You can ask further details from the jeweler that serves you and see if they can find out where is the inclusion, and whether the inclusion is "dark" in colour, which can be more obvious, compared to transparent inclusions.

The more fluorescence it has, the lower the price of the diamond will be, assuming other factors are constant.

I think it will be best to see what is your budget and using that, you scout for your options. While ZCOVA is a good place to begin, you can also try DeGem Gia diamond website, which is also pretty decent. DeGem website sells typical GIA diamond at a reasonable price and their ring settings are definitely on the cheaper site.

Whether you should skip both diamonds really require more details of how the diamond look like, such as whether it has good arrows or not, and good proportions or not. Excellent cut can consists of good and bad diamonds.
kambingkoh
post Sep 21 2022, 07:53 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(axn992 @ Sep 20 2022, 09:58 PM)
user posted image

Is this diamond ok?
Proportions seem okay for me. I punched the figures into diamond screener cut estimator: https://www.diamondscreener.com/cut-estimator/... the image of similar diamonds provided are not the best, but not too shabby either. That being said, check the hearts of at least the arrows of the diamond to make sure they align nicely.

I don't see any inclusion description, but VS2 usually is fine, although there still can be some rare cases it is not.

Do note that this diamond is not graded by GIA or AGS. Don't know what certificate is that, so I will say so your own due diligence accordingly.

With the above, if the price is right, you can consider.
kambingkoh
post Sep 22 2022, 09:14 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(LetsGooooo @ Sep 22 2022, 12:14 AM)
Hi Sifus, appreciate your thoughts and feedbacks on this lab grown diamond.

Besides, would like to know your thoughts on lab grown vs mined diamonds as there are still people out there that prefer the latter when the property compounds are the same for both, where price for lab grown is way cheaper if comparing apple to apple.

user posted image
Nice proportions.

Some people may not know the difference. And the word "natural" appeals to alot consumers... Think skincare products.

Sooner people prefer natural because of how it was formed inside mother earth... I would think this looks antique vase and normal vase... Both also vase right.

Some may think natural looks prettier, but this is probably because they don't know the compound is the same and skeptical about it.

If you think logically... There is no way you don't prefer lab grown for is cost-effectiveness... But we humans tend to overpay for stuff for various reasons, such as branding, which honestly, makes me feel good too, even when I know inside it could just be OEM from some generic factory.

At the end of the day, only you know what you want. Just that lab-grown, try to aim for higher carat weight as lower carat weight does not carry a big significance in terms of price... For example a 0.3ct... at least to me. You still save money, but it could be less than RM 1k, depending on where you buy.
kambingkoh
post Sep 23 2022, 07:17 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(chukiat @ Sep 23 2022, 05:07 PM)
user posted image

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6352612995
Hello sifus...
Can ask if the above diamond is ok?
Was quoted 15k just for this diamond.
Please advice me as i am kinda clueless.

TQVM
Proportions are nice.

Price is slightly expensive if include solitaire ring.

Try to compare against ZCOVA and see.

user posted image

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Sep 23 2022, 07:17 PM
kambingkoh
post Sep 24 2022, 07:05 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Sep 24 2022, 04:17 PM)
Which brand carry lab grown diamond rings in Malaysia, those with physical store?
Love & co got some lab growns, but the cert I am not sure whether is IGI or not. SK jewelry, which is their parent company should have some too. You can find these 2 store brands in shopping centers.

The other brand is Gordon Max. You can Google it up.

I think iDo jewelry may also take in some lab grown, you can WhatsApp them and ask.

ZCOVA also carry lab grown, but I am not sure whether they keep some ready stock or not.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Sep 24 2022, 07:06 PM
kambingkoh
post Oct 2 2022, 05:15 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Oct 2 2022, 12:23 PM)
Anyone here has experience buying from DeGem via online/shipping? Is the lead time conforming to their stated time?

I brought my GF to look-see wedding bands at Poh Kong and also to get her ring size. After that we also self measure her finger circumference, diameter to check with the ring chart. First observation, there is a huge 4 size difference. Maybe our self measurement is not accurate enough. Second observation, most of the physical shops that I been (on my own), only carry small ring size for diamond rings, so will have to rework on the setting anyhow.
Based on the time estimate, I think is possible for them to send out in 3 weeks. DeGem online lets you choose the ring size accordingly as well. Since you visited Poh Kong, I think you can consider visiting DeGem as well to get the correct ring size.
kambingkoh
post Oct 2 2022, 11:01 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Oct 2 2022, 05:32 PM)
There is no DeGem store here, but based on their customization tool, looks ok, within my budget and can pick the setting design and size. Later need to check if they follow the same sizing as Poh Kong. Else any alteration will have to send by post. I visited 3 poh kongs, 2 wah chans and 1 SK  sweat.gif Thank you.
Try and see if there is Diamond & Platinum, they belong to the same group of companies.
kambingkoh
post Oct 4 2022, 09:38 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Oct 3 2022, 01:03 AM)
Interesting, I see that they carry the same diamonds in their website but Diamond & Platinum has a slightly cheaper setting.

In one of your old post, you meantioned about depth max 62% and table frrom 55-58% for a decent diamond. This refers to the cut. Would you pick VG but with none flourescent, or EX with a medium blue one. Both colour is J. I would assume that EX is prefered over VG in this case becauce Cut is one of the big 4C, while flourescent is not. Or am I misguided here? Thank you.

What are your thoughts on micro pave halo setting? For a small carat diamond, it does make the apppearance look bigger.
The old post is based on WhiteFlash parameters for their ACA diamonds. In reality, different brands will have slightly different parameters. Personally, I don't mind a diamond that go above 62% depth, but not too far apart. Same goes for the table percentage of the diamond.

As for VG vs EX, I will go with EX as that is one of the main requirements for a good diamond. Fluorescence is alright as long as it doesn't affect the overall appearance of the diamond... Internet source says it may have a chance to make a diamond looks milky, but in reality, we have to see case-by-case basis. So if someone tells you that EX is more important compared to fluorescence, I don't think you are being misguided IMO.

Micro pave halo setting to me looks elegant, but the wearer probably need to dress up abit to match it, at least that's what i think. For a wedding ring, it seems suitable because the bridge will most likely dress up nicely in a wedding dress. For day-to-day basis, I prefer non-halo. Halo does make the overall appearance looks bigger.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Oct 4 2022, 09:39 AM
kambingkoh
post Oct 31 2022, 08:56 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(niamapunksai @ Oct 30 2022, 12:44 AM)
Hi all sifu here,

This diamond ring from Diamond & Platinum (Estralla) caught my eye. It comes with IGI cert and Sarine Light Performance Report.

1 piece of 0.3 ct
16 pieces of 0.04 ct
3 ex
F colour
VVS2
IGI Cert No. : 537233868

It cost RM8k inclusive of the platinum ring, is it a good buy?

user posted image
Looks nice. But I will say the price is a bit expensive. Comparing to a typical GIA 0.3 F VVS2 Non Florescence with side diamonds in platinum from ZCOVA, the price will more or less be around RM 6200. I am just choosing a random diamond without look into the specs too much because typically 4Cs are the main attributes that determine the price. Then again, sometimes some diamonds with higher cut precision (better hearts and arrows overall) will be slightly more expensive from supplier (if my memory serves me right), albeit nothing too drastic. The jeweler may also mark up the price a little if the hearts and arrows is good.

user posted image

Now, if we compare against WhiteFlash, https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp (affiliate link), this cost USD 922 (wire transfer), which converts to RM 4,387.99 on Wise (https://wise.com/my/). Assuming the price for the ring setting is also same as ZCOVA, which is RM 3150, your total will be RM 7537.99, slightly cheaper than Diamond and Platinum, one color grade higher, but more footwork for you (finding jeweler and getting it set to a ring). There is also another F VVS2 from WhiteFlash, but the price difference is quite minimal, so we just assume the price is more or less the same. I do provide setting service for people that buy diamonds from WhiteFlash, and I think I can do with RM 3150 as well for a ring that is somewhat similar (not inclusive diamond).

WhiteFlash is graded by AGS so you can compare this with DeGem's Brilliant C if you want to "look and feel" of something graded by AGS. Just visit DeGem (which is btw, the sister company of Diamond and Platinum).

Overall, IMO, I think that the price is slightly on the expensive side, but if you think that it is compatible with those that sell high precision diamonds, like WhiteFlash, then I think the price differences is acceptable. If you want to compare against a generic GIA diamond an custom made into a ring setting, then I think the price is not that worth it. 1.8k difference is quite substantial to me. So, try to digest and make a decision that is best for both of you. Good luck.
kambingkoh
post Nov 8 2022, 07:44 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(jasperng @ Nov 2 2022, 03:07 PM)
Hi Kambingkoh sifu

I see you use whiteflash when checking out the diamond . Issit more cheaper to buy from whiteflash and do setting locally ?  For setting which place is recommended ?
You can try ask boa jewels, Ido jewellery, ZCOVA, or probably even Lazo.

I also do ring settings for some WhiteFlash customers.

96 Pages « < 89 90 91 92 93 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0310sec    0.39    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:35 PM