Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

224 Pages « < 191 192 193 194 195 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

LYN Guitar Phreaks Club, I get up and nothin' gets me down...

views

+3kk!
post Feb 19 2018, 03:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ Feb 19 2018, 12:02 PM)
Its very interesting.

I've only had 2 hours to play with it so far, with the first half spent on setup, registering, downloading, updating, glancing at the user guide etc.

I skipped the factory presets and  built from scratch. What they say about the UI is mostly true - I pretty much blundered my way thru it, but somehow the controls seemed to do what I thought it would, n responded in intuitive ways.

Currently its running thru the power section of my Stonehead, so I don't load cab blocks (muffles the sound). I'm still learning how to dial sound on it, but I really like what I'm hearing so far. Managed to scrape together a couple of usable high gain (obviously biggrin.gif)  and clean patches - just need to figure out how to make it sound tighter.

To be honest, I can't vouch for the authenticity of the modelling tone, I'm not that familiar with most of the amps IRL. However, I really like what I'm hearing - this is something I could really use. And this is w/o even using cab models yet, let alone 3rd party IRs.

I feel this thing is the musical equivalent of Macguyver's swiss knife. Feature and routing options in abundance. There's a lot to soak in, but I like how I can now  dial in my sound  based on how I set up my DAW plugins, tweak the EQ and gainstaging at various points, and stick an LA2A in my signal chain (modeled, sure, but ok la still works sweat.gif) . I'm taking my time reading it up, talking to other users about their live rigs and setups. My next gig is not for another 2 months and there's more than one way to skin this cat.
wow thats a lot of work, im too dumb for these things. lol

authenticity dont need to care la, sounds good can use its good enough. cause frankly i dont think many have heard a marshall all out and ready to go.

but iirc these babies go for quite hefty a price no? why not the famous axe or kemper.

id really love to hear your giging experience with it man, always wondered how these babies do live
pleasuresaurus
post Feb 19 2018, 09:34 PM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

QUOTE(+3kk! @ Feb 19 2018, 03:27 PM)
wow thats a lot of work, im too dumb for these things. lol

authenticity dont need to care la, sounds good can use its good enough. cause frankly i dont think many have heard a marshall all out and ready to go.

but iirc these babies go for quite hefty a price no? why not the famous axe or kemper.

id really love to hear your giging experience with it man, always wondered how these babies do live
The Kemper and Axe FX are beyond me - both budget and practicality wise. I got me the Helix LT instead, which is a bit more affordable than the Helix Floor and the AX8, but still ahead feature-wise vs. the Helix HX. I was warned though by the sales guy, the expression pedal on this model can be a little manja. No biggie, I've never been much of an expressionist tongue.gif. And u have a point right there - as long as the sound is decent, the Pit will jump regardless of what's making the noise.

I'm curious about the live bit myself , will post updates on how it turns out. Going to have to bring it into the jamming studio and test it out with the band some time, give it a field trial. It would be as close enough a simulation to actual use: complete with random backline, random surges, random strangers, random stains sweat.gif . Can't risking having the neighbors sic the cops on my sorry ass.
+3kk!
post Feb 20 2018, 09:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ Feb 19 2018, 09:34 PM)
The Kemper and Axe FX are beyond me - both budget and practicality wise. I got me the Helix LT instead, which is a bit more affordable than the Helix Floor and the AX8, but still ahead feature-wise vs. the Helix HX. I was warned though by the sales guy, the expression pedal on this model can be a little manja. No biggie, I've never been much of an expressionist  tongue.gif. And u have a point right there - as long as the sound is decent, the Pit will jump regardless of what's making the noise.

I'm curious about the live bit myself , will post updates on how it turns out. Going to have to bring it into the jamming studio and test it out with the band some time, give it a field trial. It would be as close enough a simulation to actual use: complete with random backline, random surges, random strangers, random stains sweat.gif . Can't risking having the neighbors sic the cops on my sorry ass.
owh i didnt know there was an Helix LT, actually i dont know much about modellers and the different models they have. always see the Helix cost about the same as an Axe, so kinda had that impression they were all about the same.

sure man, looking forward to the updates, and congrats again.
pleasuresaurus
post Feb 22 2018, 01:23 PM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

Managed to get 2 hrs of studio time last night to test out the Helix LT.

A quick word on the device: the Helix layout is fairly similar to Fractal products in that it visually displays routing pathways that allows one to build a signal chain. All components within this chain are called "blocks" - amp block, delay block, distortion block, dynamic block etc. One simply chooses the relevant blocks and drop them anywhere along the chain to create one's rig. Each block is displayed as a square along the line of the signal chain.

Spent the first hour with a 1/4" mono out plugged into the FX return of a guitar amp, which is essentially what I do at home. Nothing new, the sound was alright but still felt a bit brittle. It was later that I realized I should have tried using a preamp block instead of an amp block - the 2 overlapping power sections (from the amp block and the physical amp itself) may have been the cause of the brittleness. Still need to test this out.

After almost an hour, decided to unplug the 1/4" mono out and try the XLR mono out instead, which is routed straight into the jamming studio's PA system.

My gawd....

The improvement in sound quality was staggering. The sound really opened up, wider than a college chick on a first date. First time in my life an obscenely loud noise made me sigh biggrin.gif (it was at this point I realized I should have tried using a preamp block rather than an amp block).

I was running a Peavey 5150 amp+cab block at this point, and it so happened to be one of the few high gain amps in the device that I have had IRL experience with. The approximation is better than decent. It was able to convey not just the overdriven gain,it also captured small details I remembered like the slight honk of the speakers, the "impending doom" feeling of its palm-muted chugs (ok,so maybe that one is a lil subjective la sweat.gif).

Spent the next remaining hour doing more chugging and went through a bunch of other amp simulations. I enjoyed the Marshall JCM 800 2204 model, another piece of hardware I've had IRL experience with. Very pleasant, very musical, and very usable sound to my ears.

The studio guy is an old hand, but has never heard of the Helix, thought it was a Boss GT1000. His feedback from sitting and listening in at the controls was very favorable - note definition and clarity was good, even through the walls of the live room. Afterlistening to it on monitor headphones, he commented that the output sound was like something that had been properly EQ'd and mixed for recording.

Anyway, enough of descriptions, here's a vdo to give an idea of what the Peavey 5150 sounded like (as u can see, I don't give clean tones the time of day tongue.gif). Pardon my sloppy playing, poor recording and humming from poorly earthed wiring.

TL;DR - the Line6 Helix LT is worth a try.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by pleasuresaurus: Feb 22 2018, 01:31 PM
LeaSe*lineR
post Feb 25 2018, 01:19 PM

On my way
622 posts

best dah tu smile.gif bila you start to venture reamp function no turning back lah haha many great things boleh buat dengan interface ni

pleasuresaurus
post Feb 26 2018, 10:54 AM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

QUOTE(LeaSe*lineR @ Feb 25 2018, 01:19 PM)
best dah tu smile.gif bila you start to venture reamp function no turning back lah haha many great things boleh buat dengan interface ni
Still got a lot to learn about its workings, but I can see myself annoying the neighbors with this for another few years tongue.gif
+3kk!
post Feb 26 2018, 11:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ Feb 22 2018, 01:23 PM)
Managed to get 2 hrs of studio time last night to test out the Helix LT.

A quick word on the device: the Helix layout is fairly similar to Fractal products in that it visually displays routing pathways that allows one to build a signal chain. All components within this chain are called "blocks" - amp block, delay block, distortion block, dynamic block etc. One simply chooses the relevant blocks and drop them anywhere along the chain to create one's rig. Each block is displayed as a square along the line of the signal chain.

Spent the first hour with a 1/4" mono out plugged into the FX return of a guitar amp, which is essentially what I do at home. Nothing new, the sound was alright but still felt a bit brittle. It was later that I realized I should have tried using a preamp block instead of an amp block - the 2 overlapping power sections (from the amp block and the physical amp itself) may have been the cause of the brittleness. Still need to test this out.

After almost an hour, decided to unplug the 1/4" mono out and try the XLR mono out instead, which is routed straight into the jamming studio's PA system.

My gawd....

The improvement in sound quality was staggering. The sound really opened up, wider than a college chick on a first date. First time in my life an obscenely loud noise made me sigh  biggrin.gif (it was at this point I realized I should have tried using a preamp block rather than an amp block).

I was running a Peavey 5150 amp+cab block at this point, and it so happened to be one of the few high gain amps in the device that I have had IRL experience with. The approximation is better than decent. It was able to convey not just the overdriven gain,it also captured small details I remembered like the slight honk of the speakers, the "impending doom" feeling of its palm-muted chugs (ok,so maybe that one is a lil subjective la sweat.gif).

Spent the next remaining hour doing more chugging and went through a bunch of other amp simulations. I enjoyed the Marshall JCM 800 2204 model, another piece of hardware I've had IRL experience with. Very pleasant, very musical, and very usable sound to my ears. 

The studio guy is an old hand, but has never heard of the Helix, thought it was a Boss GT1000. His feedback from sitting and listening in at the controls was very favorable - note definition and clarity was good, even through the walls of the live room. Afterlistening to it on monitor headphones, he commented that the output sound was like something that had been properly EQ'd and mixed for recording.

Anyway, enough of descriptions, here's a vdo to give an idea of what the Peavey 5150 sounded like (as u can see, I don't give clean tones the time of day tongue.gif). Pardon my sloppy playing, poor recording and humming from poorly earthed wiring.
TL;DR - the Line6 Helix LT is worth a try.

nice stuff, tho i think the recording and youtube doesnt to it any justice.

It has some very good low end punch, worthy of some good head banging. Funny tho how both of us describe the same thing ; the Peavy 5150 has always been the aggressive wall of sound to me. then again i use 6 string guitars and my metal chops are useless.

The bolded part is what i find exceptionally true about these units, my humble Line6 pod GX throws out better recording tones than the amp. Not anywhere due to the amps fault, as the line6 eliminates the process of mic'ing. I was recoding something for practice on the AC15 and damn, it sounded distant and far, bad mic placement, then i have to start playing "guess the spot for good tone" with my amp.

what guitar you using if you dont mind me asking?
quarantined
post Feb 26 2018, 02:08 PM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

Nice little demo there. pleasuresaurus.

Do try out some third party IRs! Also Line 6 just released Helix 2.50 update, be sure to try that as well. New Friedman amp!!!
LeaSe*lineR
post Feb 26 2018, 02:39 PM

On my way
622 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ Feb 26 2018, 10:54 AM)
Still got a lot to learn about its workings, but I can see myself annoying the neighbors with this for another few years tongue.gif
haha no need to kacau neighbours cucuk straight computer with good headphones and start looping until get good sound tongue.gif

Bonchi
post Feb 26 2018, 03:47 PM

KittehPowah
1,649 posts

any sifu here can provide opinions on boss SD-1, OD-3 and OS-2? im looking for an OD-1's bright tone but so far the shops around me got no stocks to test except for the OD-3 which i find a little bassy. i have the tube screamer in my arsenal but still looking for something brigther for more aggressive crunches.
pleasuresaurus
post Feb 26 2018, 04:26 PM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

QUOTE(+3kk! @ Feb 26 2018, 11:13 AM)
nice stuff, tho i think the recording and youtube doesnt to it any justice.

It has some very good low end punch,  worthy of some good head banging. Funny tho how both of us describe the same thing ; the Peavy 5150 has always been the aggressive wall of sound to me. then again i use 6 string guitars and my metal chops are useless.

The bolded part is what i find exceptionally true about these units, my humble Line6 pod GX throws out better recording tones than the amp. Not anywhere due to the amps fault, as the line6 eliminates the process of mic'ing. I was recoding something for practice on the AC15 and damn, it sounded distant and far, bad mic placement, then i have to start playing "guess the spot for good tone" with my amp.

what guitar you using if you dont mind me asking?
I may have gone a wee bit overboard with the low-end chunk in that one (could have sworn I gated/hpf it sweat.gif). I suppose recording from a modeller simplifies things considerably. Traditional recording would probably be able to yield even better results, however getting a great sound out of it really requires a lot of time and effort and resources. Everything from multiple mics to placement to room to multiple cabs to multiple speakers to multiple takes...But when it jadi it really jadi la kan? Some ppl argue that effects modellers make us lazy. On the other hand, it frees us up to focus on the more important aspect of making good music. I'm all for laziness!!! tongue.gif

That's a Lionheart custom 7 string I'm using.

QUOTE(quarantined @ Feb 26 2018, 02:08 PM)
Nice little demo there. pleasuresaurus.

Do try out some third party IRs! Also Line 6 just released Helix 2.50 update, be sure to try that as well. New Friedman amp!!!
Thx man. Eh ya kan, there's that Placater model that simulates a Friedman BE-100 dirt channel. To be honest I kinda kept the IR side of things on hold for now because of the way I'm set up. I plug directly into the power amp input of my current rig, so using a cab block (which is where the IR goes) muffles the sound. Eventually I got to get my hands on a decent FRFR speaker to be able to really make the best of this device. Still sniffing around for a reasonable one. Laney IRT-X was a good candidate but it seems shops don't carry them, citing Laney intending to pull out from the MY market. There goes customer support sweat.gif

There was actually a 2.52 update that came out a few days ago, but that one was buggy and a number of users upgrading from 2.12 were complaining that their devices kept crashing. I'll just hang on to this 2.50 for a while until its all fixed and done.

QUOTE(LeaSe*lineR @ Feb 26 2018, 02:39 PM)
haha no need to kacau neighbours cucuk straight computer with good headphones and start looping until get good sound tongue.gif

This is BRILLIANT! Exactly what I was hoping for, thanks man, u saved me the trouble! I was wondering how reamping would work on this device. Man, really this saves up a lot of studio time and effort la. My only gripe is now my reamp box is useless cry.gif

This post has been edited by pleasuresaurus: Feb 26 2018, 04:28 PM
LeaSe*lineR
post Feb 26 2018, 07:27 PM

On my way
622 posts

Not sure about your model, but those top end helix beside usb output, ada xlr out as well so can work as interface, reamp box and DI ... 3 in 1 package lol

Start play around with those IR bro haha

+3kk!
post Feb 27 2018, 12:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ Feb 26 2018, 04:26 PM)
I may have gone a wee bit overboard with the low-end chunk in that one (could have sworn I gated/hpf it sweat.gif). I suppose recording from a modeller simplifies things considerably. Traditional recording would probably be able to yield even better results, however getting a great sound out of it really requires a lot of time and effort and resources. Everything from multiple mics to placement to room to multiple cabs to multiple speakers to multiple takes...But when it jadi it really jadi la kan? Some ppl argue that effects modellers make us lazy. On the other hand, it frees us up to focus on the more important aspect of making good music. I'm all for laziness!!!  tongue.gif

i thought it sounds fine, then gain bass tends to sound good on recordings in general laugh.gif

tell me about it, sometimes i wonder why bother with big amps at all

but im a sucker for those babies, sigh
quarantined
post Feb 27 2018, 02:30 PM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

if you can devote yourself to them nice big amps, thats great! I just cant see myself buying high gain amps, don't play enough of heavy stuff so a good modeler comes in handy for those once in a blue moon moments.

i updated mine yesterday, both the new amps, friedman and lonestar rocks!

pleasuresaurus
post Feb 27 2018, 08:02 PM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

I was about to say I'm getting to old for big tube amps, but then remembered I've been downsizing my rig as far back as 10 years ago biggrin.gif. I guess sayang also la, having to lug around a fairly sensitive piece of hardware that weighs 15-20 kg hither tither.

quarantined bro, wat amp/speaker are u playing ur helix out of? I haven't even gotten around to fiddling with the new models yet, still toggling between mesa/archon/engl/5150/slo100 sweat.gif

This post has been edited by pleasuresaurus: Feb 27 2018, 08:12 PM
+3kk!
post Feb 28 2018, 09:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

quarter life crisis, need big iron and firepower lol

now im thinking of a mark V:25
quarantined
post Feb 28 2018, 10:59 AM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ Feb 27 2018, 08:02 PM)
quarantined bro, wat amp/speaker are u playing ur helix out of? I haven't even gotten around to fiddling with the new models yet, still toggling between mesa/archon/engl/5150/slo100 sweat.gif
just using my old altec lansing PC speakers through the headphone jack. Too lazy to fire up my amp at home.. lol

it still sounds pretty good, sufficient in my tiny room la

havent fiddle with any FR monitors and probably would require your guidance on that smile.gif in studios i plug in to amp effects loop with various results, gotta try using the XLR though.
pleasuresaurus
post Feb 28 2018, 11:43 PM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

I gave the friedman amp block a fiddle just now, eh not bad la. Its got all these subtle switches like C45 and HBE and stuff that I haven't fully grasped, but its got a nice big rock kinda sound. It cleans up fairly ok too, so much so that it may lend to a reasonable single amp-block channel using snapshots. I was initially thinking of using the Marshall 2204 block for my rock stuff, and now this came along pulak sweat.gif
quarantined
post Mar 1 2018, 05:28 PM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

yeah i love how easy to clean up by rolling down the volume, one time in a jam i tried turn on two overdrives and a compressor along with the amp model for leads ad then turning the vol down for cleans, and it does that beautifully. Big reason why i purchased it because i prefer not switching channels or pedal hopping.

the 2204 mod was my go to for Rock too until this update now we have more options: the BE for a heavier darker sound, and the Lonestar for some classic Prog leads \m/

Dont play much of the metal models but i do like the Archon a lot.

*Meanwhile, can we talk about Gibson? Their recent news is just sad..

This post has been edited by quarantined: Mar 1 2018, 06:06 PM
+3kk!
post Mar 2 2018, 12:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(quarantined @ Mar 1 2018, 05:28 PM)
yeah i love how easy to clean up by rolling down the volume, one time in a jam i tried turn on two overdrives and a compressor along with the amp model for leads ad then turning the vol down for cleans, and it does that beautifully. Big reason why i purchased it because i prefer not switching channels or pedal hopping.

the 2204 mod was my go to for Rock too until this update now we have more options: the BE for a heavier darker sound, and the Lonestar for some classic Prog leads \m/

Dont play much of the metal models but i do like the Archon a lot.

*Meanwhile, can we talk about Gibson? Their recent news is just sad..
gibbies?

they have been rather silly for a while now, not surprising they are in trouble

i heard they sacked a few of the CS bois and kinda stopped doing the usual CS gigs

224 Pages « < 191 192 193 194 195 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0285sec    0.45    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:24 PM