Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Brunei economy crumbling? Oil exports down 25.7%!, currency peg with Singapore traps Brunei

views

rivost
post May 2 2014, 12:07 PM, updated 7y ago

0 posts

Last week, Brunei's Department of Economic Planning and Development (JPKE) reported that crude oil export was down 17.7% and LNG (liquefied natural gas) export fell 3.5% year-on-year for January 2014. Today, it reveals a worsening figures: for February, oil export plunged 25.7% while LNG export dived 11.1%. The country's total exports for the month dropped 15.1% due to decreases in major exports of oil and gas, according to statistics released. This is more serious than it was in January, when total exports fell 10.6%. Oil and gas account for over 90% of Bruneian exports.

user posted image
Data shows that something is wrong with Brunei starting September 2013

International trade plummeted 12% on the same period. This is again more severe than the January figure (-8.9%). Merchandise imports however, rose by 6.9% from B$219 million in January to B$234.2 million in February 2014. As Brunei's own industrial output declines, it is buying more mineral fuels, miscellaneous transactions and crude materials from other countries, of whose imports all witnessed a sharp rise. About 20% of Brunei's imports came from Singapore, followed by Malaysia at 17% and the United States at 8.5%.

In 2013, Brunei recorded a -1.8% full year GDP growth, the only country in Asia to experience an economic decline. GDP has been falling since Q3 2013, where it dropped 9.7% and Q4 2013, where it again fell 5.3%. The last time Brunei registered a GDP increase was in Q2 2013, a rise of 1.5%. Its currency, the Brunei dollar (BND), remains stable however, gaining 0.67% so far this year against the U.S. dollar. This is because of the currency interchangeable agreement between Brunei and Singapore where both peg their currency on a 1:1 basis. As Singapore is a more prominent economy of the two, Brunei's monetary policies are basically dictated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).

user posted image
Statistics again reveal something is wrong since September 2013, one month later, in October 2013, the Sultan of Brunei announced the implementation of Sharia

This is quite a problem for Brunei. The economy of Singapore is robust, as shown by a 4.1% growth in GDP last year, an impressive rate for developed economy. To fight inflation Singapore allows a gradual appreciation of its currency, so to make imports cheaper. The island-city has been shifting towards high-tech and R&D industries, which mean that an eventual stronger currency would only have a limited impact on its export competitiveness, as long as the technological leads remain. That isn't much of an issue because Singapore is the most high tech nation in Southeast Asia. It spent US$8.6 billion on R&D last year, as compared to Malaysia US$3.3 billion and Indonesia US$2.4 billion - ASEAN second and third biggest spenders.

Brunei's economy however, is faltering, having been in a state of stagnation since the 1997-98 Asian financial crisis. While it may be true that by forcing into the Singaporean policy of currency appreciation, imports become cheaper, but inflation is not an utmost concern for Brunei, since there hasn't been much economic growth for years. The latest stats from JPKE shows that Brunei actually had deflation, with CPI being -0.1% on March. This is where Brunei and Singapore's monetary goal conflicted. Singapore is fighting inflation, while Brunei is not. Following Singapore's currency appreciation policy may not be in Brunei's economic interest.

user posted image
Singapore-Brunei currency peg: damned if hold on, damned if delink

An unnecessary currency appreciation may be catastrophic to Brunei. It doesn't possess the technological advantage, and whatever non-oil industries Brunei has left could be devastated by the expensive currency. This was proven in Brunei's latest trade statistics, where machinery and transport equipment exports was down 29.8%, miscellaneous manufactures down 24%, chemicals down 16.5%, and miscellaneous transactions down 86.7%. A stronger currency is apparently hurting Brunei's export competitiveness.

That said, Brunei couldn't risk delinking or terminating its currency agreement with Singapore either. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) warns that Brunei's dwindling oil reserves may pose a severe threat to its economy. The country's oil and gas exports will decrease by 3.5 million tons of oil equivalent (Mtoe) between now and 2035 due to the maturing of its main fields, ADB said in a report. That is a 45% drop. Without adequate oil and gas revenues, Brunei's economy may not be sustainable. Therefore the country is basically trapped. Based on its current economic performance, if it ever try to depeg from the Singapore dollar, Brunei's currency would plunge sharply to the extent of destabilizing its economy. It is apparently aware of that, two weeks ago, Singapore and Brunei signed an agreement reaffirming their monetary peg.

SOS:

http://bt.com.bn/business/2014/05/02/brune...ports-down-15-1

http://brudirect.com/0-national/national/n...s-this-february
soundsyst64
post May 2 2014, 12:09 PM

I'm No-Longer-Noobs
3,725 posts

To malaysians who dislike living in malaysia, want hudud and don't care about country's economy, brunei is perfect place for you.
yujy
post May 2 2014, 12:09 PM

Casual
333 posts

Brunei ke arah negara taliban!
yinchet
post May 2 2014, 12:12 PM

If you wish for peace, prepare for war
Group Icon
Elite
1,157 posts

QUOTE(soundsyst64 @ May 2 2014, 12:09 PM)
To malaysians who dislike living in malaysia, want hudud and don't care about country's economy, brunei is perfect place for you.
rekaito90
post May 2 2014, 12:13 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

Taliban incoming.. Wait until US came and steal all your wasted oil resource.
rotloi
post May 2 2014, 12:13 PM

On my way
639 posts

what will Brunei become after oil demand is getting lesser and lesser? . It become Singapore?
yujy
post May 2 2014, 12:14 PM

Casual
333 posts

QUOTE(rotloi @ May 2 2014, 12:13 PM)
what will Brunei become after oil demand is getting lesser and lesser? . It become Singapore?
No way, no dumfuk investor will wanna invest in a taliban country.
lil_chocobo
post May 2 2014, 12:15 PM

On my way
596 posts

they are saving it first. wait till the price skyrocket, then sell.

i think so. luls.
patheon17
post May 2 2014, 12:15 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

hope their oil faster finish, wan to c hw a country depended so much on oil suddenly hav no oil n collapse
yinchet
post May 2 2014, 12:17 PM

Group Icon
Elite
1,157 posts

QUOTE(rotloi @ May 2 2014, 12:13 PM)
It is too late for them.
rivost

0 posts

QUOTE(lil_chocobo @ May 2 2014, 12:15 PM)
they are saving it first. wait till the price skyrocket, then sell.
i think so. luls.
they can't. you think it is petronas?

brunei's oil is controlled by shell. shell is a public company, it is responsible to shareholders in terms of profitability. it won't play such game.
ashportal

Enthusiast
750 posts

So many meleis worship this Brunei, go ahead n pindah now
faizalfaizal
post May 2 2014, 12:19 PM

31 posts

so how

when their economy collapse in the future what will happen

they will come and populate east malaysia?

or is it happening already
buy land in another country and migrate
Blackops981
post May 2 2014, 12:20 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

inb4 ini semua benda duniawi...gua confirm masuk syurga... afterlife... hngggggg
Hamsapguy
post May 2 2014, 12:21 PM

8 posts

so bila lagi nak pindah brunei ni? it's heaven for you all. hudud implemented already. best country.
yinchet
post May 2 2014, 12:24 PM

Group Icon
Elite
1,157 posts

QUOTE(patheon17 @ May 2 2014, 12:15 PM)
hope their oil faster finish, wan to c hw a country depended so much on oil suddenly hav no oil n collapse
Already collapsed.
chemical industry drop over 90%, petroleum industry nearly dried up not sure how long it can sustain, and now relying on lng which is also not in good condition.
no other industry supporting their economy and burden by currency policy, can't compete at all with other SEA nation.
Clement1001
post May 2 2014, 12:24 PM

Enthusiast
894 posts

Worry Not !! The GOV of Brunei has discuss and come up with the the brilliant ideas to counter the Economy crisis. That is to implement HUDUD, hopefully the god will shine upon them once more.
patheon17
post May 2 2014, 12:26 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(yinchet @ May 2 2014, 12:24 PM)
Already collapsed.
chemical industry drop over 90%, petroleum industry nearly dried up not sure how long it can sustain, and now relying on lng which is also not in good condition.
no other industry supporting their economy and burden by currency policy, can't compete at all with other SEA nation.
i wan it to completely dry up, n they lose 95% of their gdp, then dat time will b fun to watch icon_idea.gif icon_idea.gif
lopo90
post May 2 2014, 12:26 PM

On my way
549 posts

So when sh1t hits the fan. what will the royal family do?

just run off and don't give a sh1t about the rakyat?
katijar
post May 2 2014, 12:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,161 posts

think their priority is to go Heaven.
yinchet

Group Icon
Elite
1,157 posts

QUOTE(lopo90 @ May 2 2014, 12:26 PM)
So when sh1t hits the fan. what will the royal family do?

just run off and don't give a sh1t about the rakyat?
As worse it come they will just join Malaysia.
Ardam

Getting Started
111 posts

Just a small hiccups, no worry. Brunei can withstand that.
sI Taufu
post May 2 2014, 12:29 PM

getting higher and higher
1,597 posts

if they NEVER cancel HUDUD, it will collapse.
ander7724
post May 2 2014, 12:32 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

Already collapsed.
i visited this country many times, it's clean, peaceful, moderate and of course... boring. i wonder if this is the reason (oil running dry) the king applied hudud because oil is running out and he scared
people will revolve or something?

This post has been edited by ander7724: May 2 2014, 12:32 PM
lopo90
post May 2 2014, 12:33 PM

On my way
549 posts

QUOTE(yinchet @ May 2 2014, 12:28 PM)
sure protest 1...
Hamsapguy
post May 2 2014, 12:35 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(ander7724 @ May 2 2014, 12:32 PM)
i visited this country many times, it's clean, peaceful, moderate and of course... boring. i wonder if this is the reason (oil running dry) the king applied hudud because oil is running out and he scared
you sir got a point
yinchet
post May 2 2014, 12:38 PM

Group Icon
Elite
1,157 posts

QUOTE(ander7724 @ May 2 2014, 12:32 PM)
Yup, one of the reason the king go for hudud is to control his ppl from going revolve him.
but how long can he maintain it is a big question to answer.
as he have limited money to run a country.

QUOTE(lopo90 @ May 2 2014, 12:33 PM)
sure protest 1...
Dun think so lor.

This post has been edited by yinchet: May 2 2014, 12:39 PM
arubin
post May 2 2014, 12:39 PM

Holy Pastafarian
642 posts

What if we like living here and care about the economy but just dislike the gomen and are unhappy that they rigged the election to win with a minority vote?

Oddly enough, I want GST though...suck it poorfags. tongue.gif
sniper on the roof
post May 2 2014, 12:43 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,394 posts

QUOTE(Clement1001 @ May 2 2014, 12:24 PM)
Worry Not !! The GOV of Brunei has discuss and come up with the the brilliant ideas to counter the Economy crisis. That is to implement HUDUD, hopefully the god will shine upon them once more.
More like when in desperate times, religion is often used to quell dissent and give folks a false sense of superiority.

MARTON
post May 2 2014, 12:44 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

sumpah tak kesah pun...
yinchet
post May 2 2014, 12:47 PM

Group Icon
Elite
1,157 posts

QUOTE(arubin @ May 2 2014, 12:39 PM)
What if we like living here and care about the economy but just dislike the gomen and are unhappy that they rigged the election to win with a minority vote?

I believe poor fag wont be hit that badly unless they are going for expensive stuff.
Those rich fags with lots pf luxury car going to hit badly with already expensive road tax, insurance and now maintaining the car going to be more expensive.
yinchet
post May 2 2014, 12:49 PM

Group Icon
Elite
1,157 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ May 2 2014, 12:43 PM)
More like when in desperate times, religion is often used to quell dissent and give folks a false sense of superiority.
Lately taiwan ppl so powerful to show its politician who the master.
whyamiblack
post May 2 2014, 12:49 PM

34 posts

QUOTE(arubin @ May 2 2014, 12:39 PM)

So how does hudud solves this problem? Oh wait it's superior law right rolleyes.gif
satan6666
post May 2 2014, 12:57 PM

24 posts

gift from god for implementing hudud, god is great!
jcax
post May 2 2014, 12:57 PM

13 posts

how much were u paid to bash brunei? must u bash it once a week? boring la for ppl in k to read it everyday. attack other country la.
sniper on the roof
post May 2 2014, 01:02 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,394 posts

QUOTE(dejavu99 @ May 2 2014, 12:56 PM)
ok lets take a look at it this way. non muslims in bunei already force to stfu and cannot challenge islamic law.

there will always be reasonably minded/progressive/moderate muslims in brunei who are against the hudud and are aware of the sultan and his "pious' lifestyle. but what can they do? if they voice criticism will they be accuse as murtads/kafirs/munafiqs/hypocrites/liberal muslims/apostates etc?? unsure.gif

Einjahr rivost sniper on the roof ander7724
Thats the thing when religion becomes law. You dont get to question religious dogma.
feynman
post May 2 2014, 01:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 12:17 PM)
they can't. you think it is petronas?

brunei's oil is controlled by shell. shell is a public company, it is responsible to shareholders in terms of profitability. it won't play such game.
It's a JV. The government owns half of the company.

arubin
post May 2 2014, 01:05 PM

Holy Pastafarian
642 posts

QUOTE(whyamiblack @ May 2 2014, 12:49 PM)
So how does hudud solves this problem? Oh wait it's superior law right rolleyes.gif
I tak sokong hudud pun...but I dun see what's the fuss behind this. PAS want to implement, they are welcome to try. I dun see why people are blaming DAP for this. This is a democracy after all, and PAS has a right to put forward its own motions.

If anything, I blame UMNO and BN. PAS are a minority party. Hudud will not pass without their support.

QUOTE(yinchet @ May 2 2014, 12:47 PM)
I believe poor fag wont be hit that badly unless they are going for expensive stuff.
Those rich fags with lots pf luxury car going to hit badly with already expensive road tax, insurance and now maintaining the car going to be more expensive.
Good. Richfags also escape paying tax via various sneaky methods. Now your BMW and Mercedes and handbags all get tax. AHAHAHA. rclxms.gif

I drive small car with good fuel economy, dun like to buy branded stuff, lead simple lifestyle with some geeky tech toys (kena GST, but that's OK...I still can afford)...I happy.

Everyone else can suck it. tongue.gif
leonhart88
post May 2 2014, 01:08 PM

Regular
1,686 posts

brunei only 700k population la..why malaysian not migrate there become rich? they say brunei=Norway
toughguy

Getting Started
53 posts

Employed or assigned best people for the job is important.
Countries that doesn't follow this rule can see their going down one by one.
The one will suffer are rakyat. Even if country bankrap, persons in power still have biliions in their banks.

feynman

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

Brunei has enough oil lah................it has not even gone deep sea.
Don't know why you people talk kok.
feynman
post May 2 2014, 01:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

QUOTE(leonhart88 @ May 2 2014, 01:08 PM)
brunei only 700k population la..why malaysian not migrate there become rich? they say brunei=Norway
rivost
post May 2 2014, 01:11 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(feynman @ May 2 2014, 01:08 PM)
Brunei has enough oil lah................it has not even gone deep sea.
Don't know why you people talk kok.
oil won't finish, problem is going deeper and deeper the cost would be higher and higher. minus payments to gov't cronies minus tributes to sultan minus this and that not really cost-effective to invest in such operation.

and brunei already go deep sea, those are where most of its fields lie. beyond that is disputed territories, china will go wacko

user posted image

This post has been edited by rivost: May 2 2014, 01:19 PM
feynman
post May 2 2014, 01:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 01:11 PM)
oil won't finish, problem is going deeper and deeper the cost would be higher and higher. minus payments to gov't cronies minus tributes to sultan minus this and that not really cost-effective to invest in such operation.
Then you are wrong. The time is not right yet but it will go deep because margins are high.

Heard of Gumusut kakap?
Balaclava
post May 2 2014, 01:19 PM

5-Star Swagger
941 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ May 2 2014, 12:43 PM)
#biblethumping
rivost
post May 2 2014, 01:25 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(feynman @ May 2 2014, 01:19 PM)
Then you are wrong. The time is not right yet but it will go deep because margins are high.

Heard of Gumusut kakap?
80% of its fields are already in deepwater, so how deep to go again?

next time oil hit $150 the shale revolution will be at full force, since the technology is already available.
feynman
post May 2 2014, 01:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 01:25 PM)
80% of its fields are already in deepwater, so how deep to go again?

next time oil hit $150 the shale revolution will be at full force, since the technology is already available.
adui....Ampa and Champion are in shallow waters lah.....These 2 fields have much hydrocarbons. Bolom talk about Magpie and Gannet yet.

Seria onshore is still producing despite being the oldest field. It has produced more than 1B barrel till date.

If oil does reach $150 a barrel, Upstream companies have all the more incentive to go deep.

This post has been edited by feynman: May 2 2014, 01:31 PM
leonhart88
post May 2 2014, 01:33 PM

Regular
1,686 posts

QUOTE(feynman @ May 2 2014, 01:09 PM)
10 yrs ago i studied geography 600k, where 200k?
leonhart88
post May 2 2014, 01:34 PM

Regular
1,686 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 01:11 PM)

and brunei already go deep sea, those are where most of its fields lie. beyond that is disputed territories, china will go wacko

user posted image
then is it good if i invest company like nam cheong? opportunity to become rich to become rich if invest in this kind of company?

This post has been edited by leonhart88: May 2 2014, 01:35 PM
rivost
post May 2 2014, 01:35 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(feynman @ May 2 2014, 01:29 PM)
adui....Ampa and Champion are in shallow waters lah.....These 2 fields have much hydrocarbons. Bolom talk about Magpie and Gannet yet.

Seria onshore is still producing despite being the oldest field. It has produced more than 1B barrel till date.

If oil does reach $150 a barrel, Upstream companies have all the more incentive to go deep.
they are already extracting those for decades. you think they are still untapped?

also, aren't you forgetting something?

user posted image
feynman
post May 2 2014, 01:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

QUOTE(leonhart88 @ May 2 2014, 01:33 PM)
Obviously you did not study hard enough.....go study again.
feynman
post May 2 2014, 01:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 01:35 PM)
they are already extracting those for decades. you think they are still untapped?

also, aren't you forgetting something?

user posted image
Adui....first you got shallow waters wrong......now you get where the delineation of international borders wrong.

Those two fields are still producing and they still have recoverable reserves. Which comes back to the point where they have not gone deep sea. Production is still in the shallow waters.

Brunei has deep sea territory. Deep water starts at 150 meters and more. Those areas are not disputed territories. Heard of block L and M ?

This post has been edited by feynman: May 2 2014, 01:41 PM
rivost
post May 2 2014, 01:42 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(leonhart88 @ May 2 2014, 01:33 PM)
it is complex, i saw some data saying 600k+ too. but the most widely accepted is 400k.

ever heard an expat said it could possibly be 600k+, but brunei is a country where race is very important. their so-called 'national philosophy' states that malays must be the dominant race, so the demographics can be 'tweaked' to drop foreigners if needed. after all, they already made half their chinese stateless thus the % of malay citizens look very high.

This post has been edited by rivost: May 2 2014, 01:55 PM
vuetnam
post May 2 2014, 01:43 PM

Regular
1,259 posts

Hudud supporters can go Brunei biggrin.gif
chokia
post May 2 2014, 01:44 PM

Chartered Member
3,617 posts

QUOTE(Toyoi @ May 2 2014, 01:03 PM)
Diam lah. "Perlis of the East" sooner or later becum our 15th new state tau! LoLLL!!!
Yeah then our ringgit peg to sgd 1= rm1 = bnd1

win!
teehk_tee
post May 2 2014, 01:46 PM

ไม่เป็นไร Mai Bpen Rai
5,331 posts

user posted image

so when is malaysia absorbing brunei?
crapp0
post May 2 2014, 01:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,414 posts

They will become the next afghanistan, luckily its brunei who is going down this path. If not, malaysia will follow suite.
rivost
post May 2 2014, 01:53 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(feynman @ May 2 2014, 01:39 PM)
Adui....first you got shallow waters wrong......now you get where the delineation of international borders wrong.

Those two fields are still producing and they still have recoverable reserves. Which comes back to the point where they have not gone deep sea. Production is still in the shallow waters. 

Brunei has deep sea territory. Deep water starts at 150 meters and more. Those areas are not disputed territories. Heard of block L and M ?
didn't quite bother to measure the meters when looking at the map.

you referring to this?

user posted image

let's hope they found a good reserve there laugh.gif but even so petronas will share some profit ratio as agreed in 2009.

in addition, some of their problem is internal. brunei increasingly demand a lot of terms from shell, such as local employment quota, even though the locals are rather inefficient. they have also setup a national oil company (http://www.pb.com.bn/) and start making things harder and harder for shell. so don't expect shell to make any further big investment. it may drag on for even decades.
rivost
post May 2 2014, 01:58 PM

0 posts

car is very cheap, some family 4-5 cars laugh.gif

QUOTE(Toyoi @ May 2 2014, 01:52 PM)
most probably brunei pop. is around 350K - 400K only

that's why brunei annual car sales is +20K units or so. korrek??

wonder why Potong call Brunei as its active export market...LoLL

PROTON mengeksport pelbagai model kereta nasional ke 20 negara yang mempunyai pasaran aktif antaranya Australia, Indonesia, Mesir dan Brunei dengan model yang paling popular ialah Persona.
ruffstuff  hmm.gif  hmm.gif  doh.gif
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

rivost
post May 2 2014, 02:00 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Toyoi @ May 2 2014, 01:57 PM)
looks like somebody is learning the trick from petronas bit by bit...berkongsi ilmu lettew
hmm, no.

malaysia is still ok. brunei is horribly inept laugh.gif

their national oil company may even fail and petronas swallows up brunei's reserves. maybe badawi already predicted that last time?
feynman
post May 2 2014, 02:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 01:53 PM)
didn't quite bother to measure the meters when looking at the map.

you referring to this?

user posted image

let's hope they found a good reserve there laugh.gif but even so petronas will share some profit ratio as agreed in 2009.

in addition, some of their problem is internal. brunei increasingly demand a lot of terms from shell, such as local employment quota, even though the locals are rather inefficient. they have also setup a national oil company (http://www.pb.com.bn/) and start making things harder and harder for shell. so don't expect shell to make any further big investment. it may drag on for even decades.
L and M are not developed yet.

LBD is certainly a core concern but Shell still has enough motivation to stick around. The margins are good.

Without revealing too much, PB is nothing lah.

QUOTE(Toyoi @ May 2 2014, 01:54 PM)
he he he...no wonder dr mamak last time so damn angry pak lah surrender some oil blocks to brunei...looks like that's the block issit??  biggrin.gif
yup Those are the two blocks.
kumanosuke
post May 2 2014, 02:04 PM

Enthusiast
709 posts

QUOTE(yinchet @ May 2 2014, 12:28 PM)
what ? need to feed another 400k ppl ?

shocking.gif
Artus
post May 2 2014, 02:07 PM

Regular
1,978 posts

I think Brunei has no choice but to depeg its Brunei dollar from the Singapore dollar. Singapore's policy of continued appreciation of its currency is only in the interest of Singapore, so it is silly for Brunei to continue suffering economically with too strong a currency like in the case of Greece.

This Brunei problem is a good lesson for those ignorant Malaysians who often wrongly think that having a strong currency is always a good thing.

rivost
post May 2 2014, 02:08 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(feynman @ May 2 2014, 02:03 PM)
L and M are not developed yet.

LBD is certainly a core concern but Shell still has enough motivation to stick around. The margins are good.

Without revealing too much, PB is nothing lah.
yup Those are the two blocks.
pb is nothing? they are awarded the block despite not having the technical expertise. either dependent on petronas or project stuck.

that is the thing, shell has good motivation to stay but no longer so confident or determine to make big investment. this can also partly be attributed to brunei's political issue. therefore you have brunei's negative oil and gas stats now. the sultan will not change his stance i can tell you.

This post has been edited by rivost: May 2 2014, 02:09 PM
memekfalui
post May 2 2014, 02:09 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

What is with you and all the Brunei deteriorating thread, you got beef with Hassanal Bolkiah? laugh.gif
TheHitman47
post May 2 2014, 02:11 PM

Nuke
1,053 posts

QUOTE(ashportal @ May 2 2014, 12:17 PM)
So many meleis worship this Brunei, go ahead n pindah now
lol, still see many cainis here.
shouldnt we pindah spore now?.
rivost
post May 2 2014, 02:13 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Artus @ May 2 2014, 02:07 PM)
I think Brunei has no choice but to depeg its Brunei dollar from the Singapore dollar. Singapore's policy of continued appreciation of its currency is only in the interest of Singapore, so it is silly for Brunei to continue suffering economically with too strong a currency like in the case of Greece.

This Brunei problem is a good lesson for those ignorant Malaysians who often wrongly think that having a strong currency is always a good thing.
lets bet the rate of an independent bnd?

1bnd = 1rm? laugh.gif
advocado
post May 2 2014, 02:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

Hudud FTW. so they can claim money & properties of people just like the Nazis did on the jews.
Artus
post May 2 2014, 02:19 PM

Regular
1,978 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 02:13 PM)

1bnd = 1rm? laugh.gif
That would be too drastic. A 20% devaluation from the Singapore dollar may probably do the work.

t3arsCulprit
post May 2 2014, 02:21 PM

Enthusiast
765 posts

Already collapsed.
Refining Industry?
teehk_tee
post May 2 2014, 02:25 PM

ไม่เป็นไร Mai Bpen Rai
5,331 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 02:13 PM)

1bnd = 1rm? laugh.gif
malaysia is actually pretty undervalued against SGD.
1BND to 1.8MYR should be good.
Yung_Psyke
post May 2 2014, 02:27 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

you guys dont tok tok bad about brunei ok!, they holy pipur!, god will help them..o wai
leonhart88
post May 2 2014, 02:28 PM

Regular
1,686 posts

QUOTE(teehk_tee @ May 2 2014, 01:46 PM)
user posted image

so when is malaysia absorbing brunei?
why malaysia wanna curi from brunei? malaysia also has steal sipadan and ligitan from Indonesia, i wonder sabah and sarawak stolen from where? because demographic of malaysia too far.
K.I.T.T
post May 2 2014, 02:32 PM

On my way
510 posts

QUOTE(faizalfaizal @ May 2 2014, 12:19 PM)
so how

when their economy collapse in the future what will happen

they will come and populate east malaysia?

or is it happening already
buy land in another country and migrate
soh diaorang merge dengan malaysia pastu election time soh diorang gi undi PAKATAN RAKYAT. BN menang election kerana kampung feldA/gov servant /sabah sarawak support BN. Kalau populasi Brunei tu mampu mengatasi support 3 ni PAKATAN BOLEH MEMERINTAH.

Taktik ni DAP nak pakai sekiranya dapat majoriti power di malaysia kelak. Gabungan DAP dan PAP mampu mengatasi majoriti melayu islam tu sendiri
Artus
post May 2 2014, 02:32 PM

Regular
1,978 posts

QUOTE(teehk_tee @ May 2 2014, 02:25 PM)
malaysia is actually pretty undervalued against SGD.
1BND to 1.8MYR should be good.
If Brunei change the pegging from Singapore dollar to the Malaysian ringgit then, in theory,it would benefit Sarawak and Sabah because trade between Singapore and Brunei would go down due to currency conversion costs between Singapore dollar and Brunei dollar.
t3arsCulprit
post May 2 2014, 02:33 PM

Enthusiast
765 posts

QUOTE(leonhart88 @ May 2 2014, 02:28 PM)
why malaysia wanna curi from brunei? malaysia also has steal sipadan and ligitan from Indonesia, i wonder sabah and sarawak stolen from where? because demographic of malaysia too far.
Say properly.. Sipadan and Ligitan is belongs to Malaysia.. Not stealing from Indonesia.. Okay?
t3arsCulprit
post May 2 2014, 02:34 PM

Enthusiast
765 posts

QUOTE(Artus @ May 2 2014, 02:32 PM)
If Brunei change the pegging from Singapore dollar to the Malaysian ringgit then, in theory,it would benefit Sarawak and Sabah because trade between Singapore and Brunei would go down due to currency conversion costs between Singapore dollar and Brunei dollar.
Bruneian will find it expensive to spend their money in Malaysia then.. sweat.gif
s2peMocls
post May 2 2014, 02:34 PM

On my way
672 posts

Seems to be a common trend whenever a country becomes more Islamized.
Artus
post May 2 2014, 02:39 PM

Regular
1,978 posts

QUOTE(t3arsCulprit @ May 2 2014, 02:34 PM)
Bruneian will find it expensive to spend their money in Malaysia then..  sweat.gif
When economy is in trouble, currency devaluation is the price to pay to get back up again. It's a good tool anyway. Countries that don't have this tool (example: Greece and Brunei) would have to suffer for a considerably longer time compared to countries that control over their own currencies (example: Thailand and Malaysia).

t3arsCulprit
post May 2 2014, 02:40 PM

Enthusiast
765 posts

QUOTE(yinchet @ May 2 2014, 12:38 PM)
Yup, one of the reason the king go for hudud is to control his ppl from going revolve him.
but how long can he maintain it is a big question to answer.
as he have limited money to run a country.
Dun think so lor.
But how Hudud law can control ppl from revolve him??

I thought that is the islamic law??
leonhart88
post May 2 2014, 02:40 PM

Regular
1,686 posts

QUOTE(t3arsCulprit @ May 2 2014, 02:33 PM)
Say properly.. Sipadan and Ligitan is belongs to Malaysia.. Not stealing from Indonesia.. Okay?
If prabowo become president in 2014, Indonesia will attack Malaysia to get back Ambalat, sipadan and ligitan

http://politik.kompasiana.com/2013/03/03/p...bah-538755.html
ryanliew87
post May 2 2014, 02:41 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

risau apa ??? langit nanti jatuh duit ma...u tak percaya ??
K.I.T.T
post May 2 2014, 02:42 PM

On my way
510 posts

QUOTE(Artus @ May 2 2014, 02:39 PM)
When economy is in trouble, currency devaluation is the price to pay to get back up again. It's a good tool anyway. Countries that don't have this tool (example: Greece and Brunei) would have to suffer for a considerably longer time compared to countries that control over their own currencies (example: Thailand and Malaysia).
things hapend to negara brunei will hapend to pengeluar minyak lain?
leonhart88
post May 2 2014, 02:42 PM

Regular
1,686 posts

QUOTE(Artus @ May 2 2014, 02:32 PM)
what benefit?so brunei will import from sabah and sarawak? sabah and sarawak have what? what I know Singapore will find it cheaper to import from Brunei
teehk_tee
post May 2 2014, 02:44 PM

ไม่เป็นไร Mai Bpen Rai
5,331 posts

QUOTE(Artus @ May 2 2014, 02:39 PM)
it'll be better for them to peg against myr as a devaluation tool rather than a free float / managed float without significant capital controls
better as in less negative shocks in the system.

either way, malaysia is inclined to benefit on the increasing trade dependence on neighbors, that includes import of primary goods, and export of talent.
feynman
post May 2 2014, 02:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 02:08 PM)
pb is nothing? they are awarded the block despite not having the technical expertise. either dependent on petronas or project stuck.

that is the thing, shell has good motivation to stay but no longer so confident or determine to make big investment. this can also partly be attributed to brunei's political issue. therefore you have brunei's negative oil and gas stats now. the sultan will not change his stance i can tell you.
Are you in Brunei?

This is where you have absolutely no idea how things are in Brunei. But it really doesn't matter, because even if you knew more, it won't change a thing.

Due to confidentiality requirements. I can't divulge more than what I have shared.
Artus
post May 2 2014, 02:52 PM

Regular
1,978 posts

QUOTE(leonhart88 @ May 2 2014, 02:42 PM)
what benefit?so brunei will import from sabah and sarawak? sabah and sarawak have what? what I know Singapore will find it cheaper to import from Brunei
If you ask Sabah and Sarawak have what, then you should ask Singapore have what? It's all about trade. If a merchant in Johor finds if cheaper to buy from Singapore than Kuala Lumpur, it would buy from Singapore. What are the considerations involved? Transportation costs and currency conversion costs. Sabah and Sarawak are nearer to Brunei than Singapore, so the transportation costs can be lower and with a lower currency conversion costs due to the pegging of the Brunei dollar to the Malaysian ringgit, then the change may benefit Sabah and Sarawak. The only problem standing in the way of better trade is our current cabotage policy.

http://www.sapp.org.my/economy/110113_fmt_...tage_policy.asp

Hamsapguy
post May 2 2014, 02:53 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(feynman @ May 2 2014, 02:51 PM)
Are you in Brunei?

This is where you have absolutely no idea how things are in Brunei. But it really doesn't matter, because even if you knew more, it won't change a thing.

Due to confidentiality requirements. I can't divulge more than what I have shared.
baik tak cakap anything at all, waste time reading this only
feynman
post May 2 2014, 02:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,649 posts

QUOTE(Hamsapguy @ May 2 2014, 02:53 PM)
baik tak cakap anything at all, waste time reading this only
Tak suka jangan baca lah. I'm paid enough to not engage in unsubstantiated talks.

This post has been edited by feynman: May 2 2014, 02:55 PM
leonhart88
post May 2 2014, 02:55 PM

Regular
1,686 posts

QUOTE(Artus @ May 2 2014, 02:52 PM)
If you ask Sabah and Sarawak have what, then you should ask Singapore have what? It's all about trade. If a merchant in Johor finds if cheaper to buy from Singapore than Kuala Lumpur, it would buy from Singapore. What are the considerations involved? Transportation costs and currency conversion costs. Sabah and Sarawak are nearer to Brunei than Singapore, so the transportation costs can be lower and with a lower currency conversion costs due to the pegging of the Brunei dollar to the Malaysian ringgit, then the change may benefit Sabah and Sarawak. The only problem standing in the way of better trade is our current cabotage policy.

http://www.sapp.org.my/economy/110113_fmt_...tage_policy.asp
Indonesia(Kalimantan) is even nearer to Brunei.
Artus
post May 2 2014, 02:56 PM

Regular
1,978 posts

QUOTE(teehk_tee @ May 2 2014, 02:44 PM)
it'll be better for them to peg against myr as a devaluation tool rather than a free float / managed float without significant capital controls
better as in less negative shocks in the system.

either way, malaysia is inclined to benefit on the increasing trade dependence on neighbors, that includes import of primary goods, and export of talent.
Yes, it is better for Brunei to peg to the ringgit because Singapore is obsessed with keeping its dollar strong in order to combat inflation and therefore a further rise of the Singapore dollar may cause more misery for Brunei.

Frozen_Sun
post May 2 2014, 03:04 PM

12 posts

Why so much negativity for Brunei? Hopefully, their economy will recover soon smile.gif
ashportal
post May 2 2014, 03:08 PM

Enthusiast
750 posts

QUOTE(TheHitman47 @ May 2 2014, 02:11 PM)
lol, still see many cainis here.
shouldnt we pindah spore now?.

Nothin to do with cainis la brother, it just these meleis know over there the Sultan will spoonfeed his rakyat, so these meleis worship him. Summore they have hudud. I know some of my frens who mati2 want migrate Brunei.

rivost
post May 2 2014, 03:20 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(feynman @ May 2 2014, 02:51 PM)
Are you in Brunei?

hmm.gif

lol.

its ok, you keep your secret, mr. FBI agent. i'm not interested to hear.

This post has been edited by rivost: May 2 2014, 03:24 PM
NismoConcept
post May 2 2014, 03:22 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

The moment u declare u are Taliban Bako Haram state, you are doomed
Timemuffin
post May 2 2014, 03:26 PM

Getting Started
95 posts

What Brunei have now is the wetdream Msia affirmative action policies wish to achieve.
rivost
post May 2 2014, 03:35 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Timemuffin @ May 2 2014, 03:26 PM)
What Brunei have now is the wetdream Msia affirmative action policies wish to achieve.
msia sure is happy to have such lab rat laugh.gif

and boy, they are fast copier. suddenly all rules such as non-muslims banned from 35 words, non-muslims cannot drink in public overseas, etc coming out.
lilzany
post May 2 2014, 03:38 PM

Regular
1,474 posts

Brunei mampus gua sikit pun tak kisah. I think the Sultan might migrate and leave elsewhere with his money.
[email protected]
post May 2 2014, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
211 posts

Am i missing something? All the ppl bashing hudud enlighten me: if the sultan cancel hudud is it going to magically make the economy better? Or u guys just bashing your islamic boogeyman of the month?
rivost
post May 2 2014, 03:51 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Artus @ May 2 2014, 02:56 PM)
Yes, it is better for Brunei to peg to the ringgit because Singapore is obsessed with keeping its dollar strong in order to combat inflation and therefore a further rise of the Singapore dollar may cause more misery for Brunei.
peg to ringgit won't work too. malaysia devalues its currency trying to make exports more competitive. imagine more expensive imports knock in for bruneians, who already suffer from economic stagnation?
ray123
post May 2 2014, 03:52 PM

Senior Citizen
2,458 posts

QUOTE([email protected] @ May 2 2014, 03:44 PM)
Am i missing something? All the ppl bashing hudud enlighten me: if the sultan cancel hudud is it going to magically make the economy better? Or u guys just bashing your islamic boogeyman of the month?
It's not about hudud, it's about the Sultan enforcing an Islamic legal system designed to keep him in power with little recourse for the citizens to affect changes. He will never relinquish control and under their system, there is no way for him to be forced to reform.
sniper on the roof
post May 2 2014, 03:54 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,394 posts

QUOTE(ray123 @ May 2 2014, 03:52 PM)
It's not about hudud, it's about the Sultan enforcing an Islamic legal system designed to keep him in power with little recourse for the citizens to affect changes. He will never relinquish control and under their system, there is no way for him to be forced to reform.
This.
rivost
post May 2 2014, 03:57 PM

0 posts

and supposedly it is not a malaysian concern, but so many people go "wah, wah, my dreamland, my hero".

now let them see the real scenario of their dreamland.
aLittleMisfit
post May 2 2014, 03:57 PM

Honorary Lifetime Misfit
863 posts

ramaiiiiii
suguss
post May 2 2014, 04:00 PM

26 posts

So many malaysians drooling over singapore. Why aren't u packing yr bags yet?
ryanliew87
post May 2 2014, 04:00 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

So brunei is officially dream/wet/fap land for msian??? Syok weh
Kal-el
post May 2 2014, 04:01 PM

Regular
1,204 posts

rclxms.gif thumbup.gif
northel
post May 2 2014, 04:13 PM

23 posts

i am disappointed with fellow malaysians bashing each other. why so much racial comments? why cant u guys just appreciate what we have now? i m sure there is SG-wannabe cainis as well. then i can see there is german-wannabe ppl as well. takkan u call them to migrate to those countries? why migrate when we still have chance to change our country to be better?
pickett plot
post May 2 2014, 04:20 PM

0 posts

Anything related to islam will be bashed in/k.
Welcum to malaysia.
CeDhhVss
post May 2 2014, 04:21 PM

Getting Started
69 posts

nobody want to invest in brunei since yesterday....

mariah carey pun x nak dtg...
Artus
post May 2 2014, 04:23 PM

Regular
1,978 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 03:51 PM)
peg to ringgit won't work too. malaysia devalues its currency trying to make exports more competitive. imagine more expensive imports knock in for bruneians, who already suffer from economic stagnation?
Well, they have to decide if they want economic stagnation + deflation or inflation? If they want full control then have a full central bank like us. But a small country is not suitable to have a independent central bank. Singapore also should not have central bank but they want to have one so they have to play the appreciation ponzi game until one day sure get into a very high inflation situation because cannot appreciate the dollar any further. Small economies like HK and Macau only have currency boards.

Parrot
post May 2 2014, 04:48 PM

Casual
422 posts

Sooo...

How long do you reckon before Brunei runs out of oil? Because it'll be funny when that happens.
prophetjul
post May 2 2014, 04:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,011 posts

QUOTE(Parrot @ May 2 2014, 04:48 PM)
Sooo...

How long do you reckon before Brunei runs out of oil? Because it'll be funny when that happens.
Don't need to run out for the show to happen.

It only needs to reduce drastically.
pgkia8
post May 2 2014, 04:53 PM

Getting Started
190 posts

Its ok, they got hudud.
Parrot
post May 2 2014, 04:58 PM

Casual
422 posts

QUOTE(prophetjul @ May 2 2014, 03:51 AM)
Don't need to run out for the show to happen.

It only needs to reduce drastically.
Oh yeah, forget the Sultan's little Sharia, when the economy goes down the shitter people are going to be even angier.

Interesting times.
DDG_Ross
post May 2 2014, 05:02 PM

20 posts

They lower their oil export on purpose, as they know their oil reserve remains stagnant

But they are also actively increases their oil exploration effort and opening up previously unprofitable oil well

- insider info

CyberSetan
post May 2 2014, 05:05 PM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,328 posts

They probably will abandon hudud and turn the country into South East Asia's Las Vegas once oil ran out.

...or it can become Somalia of SEA, if hudud persist even if there is no more oil.

This post has been edited by CyberSetan: May 2 2014, 05:08 PM
[email protected]
post May 2 2014, 05:22 PM

Getting Started
211 posts

I still don't see the connection with their economic problems though. Sure, it's a way for the Sultan to stay in power but I see no cause and effect between hudud and the economy while most of the posts here are making it seem like there is a connection.
Parrot
post May 2 2014, 05:29 PM

Casual
422 posts

QUOTE(CyberSetan @ May 2 2014, 04:05 AM)
...or it can become Somalia of SEA, if hudud persist even if there is no more oil.
A civil war? Nah. The population is neither well-armed or politically strong enough to develop any opposition. In a way it reminds me of those brainless blobs that reelected BN after receiving measly handouts. The non-muslims are more likely to pusssy out than play Sharia house with the Sultan.

Of course, I'm not ruling out the prospect of an uprising, but Brunei is still pretty livable. It's going to take a lot of economic decline for something like that to ever happen, provided there is enough willing locals left to pull it off.

This post has been edited by Parrot: May 2 2014, 05:34 PM
jaymansion
post May 2 2014, 06:15 PM

27 posts

Yes..go lick hudud....it's tasty....
apj8188
post May 2 2014, 06:15 PM

Getting Started
198 posts

Apa nak takut? Hudud kan ada.
Spectreoutreach
post May 2 2014, 06:22 PM

Enthusiast
834 posts

QUOTE(Parrot @ May 2 2014, 05:29 PM)
A civil war? Nah. The population is neither well-armed or politically strong enough to develop any opposition. In a way it reminds me of those brainless blobs that reelected BN after receiving measly handouts. The non-muslims are more likely to pusssy out than play Sharia house with the Sultan.

Of course, I'm not ruling out the prospect of an uprising, but Brunei is still pretty livable. It's going to take a lot of economic decline for something like that to ever happen, provided there is enough willing locals left to pull it off.
but won't that invite outsider to seize control of the country ? sweat.gif
patheon17
post May 2 2014, 06:25 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(Frozen_Sun @ May 2 2014, 03:04 PM)
Why so much negativity for Brunei? Hopefully, their economy will recover soon smile.gif
because only like dis then the ppl of brunei will go against their sultan, wat their sultan is doing nw is to isolate and enforce stupid laws so dat he can keep his power n rule over brunei for the rest of his life.

he is no diff than kim jong un, doing all he can to desperately keep in power
AngAng26
post May 2 2014, 06:30 PM

6 posts

huehuehue demand decrease .. waiting for them to drink oil and smoke gas..
meistsh_musical
post May 2 2014, 06:31 PM

Ahbeng
1,111 posts

QUOTE(patheon17 @ May 2 2014, 07:25 PM)
because only like dis then the ppl of brunei will go against their sultan, wat their sultan is doing nw is to isolate and enforce stupid laws so dat he can keep his power n rule over brunei for the rest of his life.

he is no diff than kim jong un, doing all he can to desperately keep in power
brunei small, korea large
kim prefer military, brunei prefer what? nothing his can do with small with big town
patheon17
post May 2 2014, 06:35 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(meistsh_musical @ May 2 2014, 06:31 PM)
brunei small, korea large
kim prefer military, brunei prefer what? nothing his can do with small with big town
so nw hold into power sucking all the money until the petrol money die off, then dat time bruneians will b very angry n revolt against their useless rulers, but dat time will b too late, brunei left wif nth n infrastructure worse than a 3rd world country
meistsh_musical
post May 2 2014, 06:39 PM

Ahbeng
1,111 posts

QUOTE(patheon17 @ May 2 2014, 07:35 PM)
so nw hold into power sucking all the money until the petrol money die off, then dat time bruneians will b very angry n revolt against their useless rulers, but dat time will b too late, brunei left wif nth n infrastructure worse than a 3rd world country
n take over by sarawak n sbah
become 1 part of malaysian
HITMAN316
post May 2 2014, 06:40 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

Tak payah takut, kan ada agama, ada Hudud, ada Syariah. Benda-benda ini jauh lebih penting daripada ekonomi.
patheon17
post May 2 2014, 06:42 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(meistsh_musical @ May 2 2014, 06:39 PM)
hahaha, over najis's dead body icon_idea.gif icon_idea.gif
rivost
post May 2 2014, 06:50 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(meistsh_musical @ May 2 2014, 06:39 PM)
singapore and brunei are actually the de jure vassal state of malaysia, but singapore has grown too powerful and influential for now.

perhaps time has present itself for malaysia to 'take care' of brunei? if smart and 'do something' maybe will get new territory laugh.gif laugh.gif
meistsh_musical
post May 2 2014, 06:56 PM

Ahbeng
1,111 posts

QUOTE(patheon17 @ May 2 2014, 07:42 PM)
hahaha, over najis's dead body icon_idea.gif  icon_idea.gif
rclxub.gif

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 07:50 PM)
singapore and brunei are actually the de jure vassal state of malaysia, but singapore has grown too powerful and influential for now.

perhaps time has present itself for malaysia to 'take care' of brunei? if smart and 'do something' maybe will get new territory laugh.gif  laugh.gif
we know hudud law country, they never success in anything
patheon17
post May 2 2014, 07:20 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 06:50 PM)

perhaps time has present itself for malaysia to 'take care' of brunei? if smart and 'do something' maybe will get new territory laugh.gif  laugh.gif
wats the use if get another perlis? laugh.gif
jpoplover101
post May 2 2014, 07:22 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

QUOTE(patheon17 @ May 2 2014, 07:20 PM)
A perlis with damn amount of oil. Can increase our GDP with leaps and bounds, we became kuasa dunia besar dy rclxms.gif
jAkUn
post May 2 2014, 07:23 PM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(patheon17 @ May 2 2014, 08:20 PM)
u will get the rich-oil-sea surrounding the new "Perlis"
tongue.gif
patheon17
post May 2 2014, 07:27 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(jpoplover101 @ May 2 2014, 07:22 PM)
A perlis with damn amount of oil. Can increase our GDP with leaps and bounds, we became kuasa dunia besar dy  rclxms.gif
QUOTE(jAkUn @ May 2 2014, 07:23 PM)
u will get the rich-oil-sea surrounding the new "Perlis"
tongue.gif
but wat if the perlis hav no more oil left? icon_rolleyes.gif
jAkUn
post May 2 2014, 07:28 PM

Casual
326 posts

QUOTE(patheon17 @ May 2 2014, 08:27 PM)
but wat if the perlis hav no more oil left?  icon_rolleyes.gif
lots and lots of em still deep down inside..
patheon17
post May 2 2014, 07:28 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(jAkUn @ May 2 2014, 07:28 PM)
lots and lots of em still deep down inside..
shocking.gif shocking.gif really??
jpoplover101
post May 2 2014, 07:30 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

QUOTE(patheon17 @ May 2 2014, 07:27 PM)
still got lots of oil there. enough for a 100 years
rivost
post May 2 2014, 07:31 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(patheon17 @ May 2 2014, 07:27 PM)
in worse case....

timber and agricultural land! laugh.gif

patheon17
post May 2 2014, 07:38 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(jpoplover101 @ May 2 2014, 07:30 PM)
still got lots of oil there. enough for a 100 years
another 100 years of 'prosperity' for brunei, and 100 years of rule for the sultan
leonhang
post May 2 2014, 07:41 PM

Getting Started
242 posts

I suggest Singapore go buy Brunei.

Singapore need more lands, Malaysia don't.
rivost
post May 2 2014, 07:48 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(leonhang @ May 2 2014, 07:41 PM)
I suggest Singapore go buy Brunei.

Singapore need more lands, Malaysia don't.
singapore would not want a sharia state who is also so focused on race. too far, very hard to govern. bintan, batam or johor are much preferable.

for malaysia, absorption of brunei means opening up sarawakians traveling to northern sarawak / sabah. currently they need to bypass brunei, whose immigration checkpoints are inefficient and who impose tarrifs on commercial vehicles.
leonhang
post May 2 2014, 07:55 PM

Getting Started
242 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 2 2014, 07:48 PM)
singapore would not want a sharia state who is also so focused on race. too far, very hard to govern. bintan, batam or johor are much preferable.

for malaysia, absorption of brunei means opening up sarawakians traveling to northern sarawak / sabah. currently they need to bypass brunei, whose immigration checkpoints are inefficient and who impose tarrifs on commercial vehicles.
But if they joined Sabah and Sarawak, the natives there won't like it since most of Brunei are Muslims. Well, if Singapore buys it, they can turn it into non-sharia state, since they are quite a lot of liberals in Brunei as well, just not as many as the non-liberals.

I don't know that, how does this actually works, you mean only the Brunei side has proper roads to drive to Sabah ?
rivost
post May 2 2014, 08:01 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(leonhang @ May 2 2014, 07:55 PM)
But if they joined Sabah and Sarawak, the natives there won't like it since most of Brunei are Muslims. Well, if Singapore buys it, they can turn it into non-sharia state, since they are quite a lot of liberals in Brunei as well, just not as many as the non-liberals.

I don't know that, how does this actually works, you mean only the Brunei side has proper roads to drive to Sabah ?
known as the pan borneo highway, it is the most effective form of traveling there.

user posted image

they should have bypass brunei and just connect sabah and sarawak directly, but of course funding issue.
diversity
post May 2 2014, 08:12 PM

Regular
1,149 posts

rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
jonoave
post May 2 2014, 08:39 PM

Casual
471 posts

QUOTE(yinchet @ May 2 2014, 07:28 AM)
Maybe:

"This is a test from god, we must work harder. in**-*****, we will prevail."

Who is the "we"? hmm.gif
jonoave
post May 2 2014, 08:43 PM

Casual
471 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ May 2 2014, 08:02 AM)
Thats the thing when religion becomes law. You dont get to question religious dogma.
This is the part where most ppl who call for religious law don't get. All they keep saying is "if you don't do wrong, no need scared."

It has happen many times throughout history, from old kings and emperors appointing priests to declare them as god-kings, to Church corruption and scandal.

Dunno why this ppl refuse to learn or just want to tutup mata to history.

Already, in present state, ppl very hesitant to question when words come out from the religious ppl. When these words become law, who dares to question?
rivost
post May 2 2014, 09:48 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(jonoave @ May 2 2014, 08:43 PM)
This is the part where most ppl who call for religious law don't get. All they keep saying is "if you don't do wrong, no need scared."

It has happen many times throughout history, from old kings and emperors appointing priests to declare them as god-kings, to Church corruption and scandal.

Dunno why this ppl refuse to learn or just want to tutup mata to history.

Already, in present state, ppl very hesitant to question when words come out from the religious ppl. When these words become law, who dares to question?
who know you will get this news one day

user posted image

Bruneians to build stairs to reach heaven

laugh.gif
vuetnam
post May 2 2014, 09:56 PM

Regular
1,259 posts

why I have bad feeling that China will expand its territory and absorb Brunei..... hmm.gif
robertchoo
post May 2 2014, 10:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,753 posts

In b4 ini semua salah LGE!
ray123
post May 2 2014, 10:23 PM

Senior Citizen
2,458 posts

QUOTE([email protected] @ May 2 2014, 05:22 PM)
I still don't see the connection with their economic problems though. Sure, it's a way for the Sultan to stay in power but I see no cause and effect between hudud and the economy while most of the posts here are making it seem like there is a connection.
It's no different than a secular dictator enacting draconian laws to keep his country in line. Brunei can't even give the excuse of sanctions like the conditions on Venezuela and North Korea. Their woes stem from just sheer incompetence on the part of the Brunei leadership.

It's not about Islam, it's about theocracy in general. If you disagreed with something your local imam or ustaz is preaching, would you dare to stand up and tell him that he's wrong? I sincerely doubt it.
jonoave
post May 2 2014, 10:40 PM

Casual
471 posts

QUOTE([email protected] @ May 2 2014, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE(ray123 @ May 2 2014, 05:23 PM)
It's no different than a secular dictator enacting draconian laws to keep his country in line. Brunei can't even give the excuse of sanctions like the conditions on Venezuela and North Korea. Their woes stem from just sheer incompetence on the part of the Brunei leadership.

It's not about Islam, it's about theocracy in general. If you disagreed with something your local imam or ustaz is preaching, would you dare to stand up and tell him that he's wrong? I sincerely doubt it.
Noted phrase when the Church was corrupted and held power over Europe:

"If you're against us, you're against God."

Foosh, how you want to lawan?

You see some politicians also like to hide behind phrases like, "Only god knows I'm telling the truth. That is enough." In US there is the tradition of people declaring to tell the truth by placing their hand on Bible, and some in Malaysia start to follow the trend.

You see how easy it is to hide behind a theocracy veil.

If you read back history, many kings and emperors in the past declare themselves as god-kings or chosen ones to rule on earth. The second in power is usually the priests who helps to spread the image of the divine king and the people will usually follow the wise words from these priests, who "act" as the bridge between human and their deities. That's why people don't dare to question for fearing divine retribution, and the king can do as he wants because he is the "chosen one". The priests also get benefits as they are "special people" who can communicate with the deities, from the king who give them a lot of power (thus second in hierarchy) and from people who usually will give a lot of offering to the the priests (meant for the deities) and kings.

Einjahr
post May 2 2014, 10:59 PM

24 posts

once Sabah's major oil finds is translated into petrodollars, brunei oil revenue will definitely slide even further
rivost
post May 3 2014, 09:59 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(vuetnam @ May 2 2014, 09:56 PM)
why I have bad feeling that China will expand its territory and absorb Brunei..... hmm.gif
China: Sorry, one Xinjiang I already headache
vuetnam
post May 3 2014, 03:18 PM

Regular
1,259 posts

QUOTE(rivost @ May 3 2014, 09:59 AM)
China: Sorry, one Xinjiang I already headache
china kan control the spartly and paracel islands, they can just invade brunei, like what russia do to crimea
Freeloader
post May 5 2014, 09:12 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

Wonder how long Brunei can continue to peg to SGD.
vuetnam
post May 5 2014, 09:23 PM

Regular
1,259 posts

QUOTE(Freeloader @ May 5 2014, 09:12 PM)
Wonder how long Brunei can continue to peg to SGD.
if I not mistaken, it already pegged into SG dollar, I think they wun separate from SG dollar for now hmm.gif hmm.gif hmm.gif

need /k/ financial expert to explain
HangPC2
post May 8 2014, 10:01 PM

Casual
382 posts

Berpegang kepada Islam di akhir zaman seperti genggam bara api
katijar
post May 8 2014, 10:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,161 posts

No oil? Thats ok. They will all go Heaven.

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1061sec    0.80    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st September 2020 - 11:48 AM