Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hi-Fi Focal Users Club

views

liquidgal
post May 22 2014, 06:41 AM

Enthusiast
809 posts

QUOTE(munak991 @ Apr 28 2014, 07:27 PM)
Focal spirit one price tag can get a lot better headphone already.
Once I put on, I find uhhhhh is this good headphone??
Just tried Focal Spirit Pro and Solo 6 BE in Singapore few days ago.
The headphone is really quite decent at its price. The unique sound signature is really quite "France", very beautiful mid and treble, smooth, soft and clean. The quantity of bass is not really a lot but still acceptable for me. As a close back and foldable headphone at its price range, I would say it's quite competitive. But of course if to compare to home units, there are a lot more better. It's quite easy to drive, tested using ibasso dx90 with build in headphone amp. So, I would recommend it for portable use.

Solo 6BE has really really impressive bass. Couldn't hold the impact biggrin.gif
Treble part seems to be a little bit too bright for me when listening to Matsuri-Kitaro. Might due to it's still new, or cable, power source? not so sure.
But I would say, it's really worth the price. So wanted to grab it home tongue.gif
liquidgal
post Jul 2 2014, 01:10 AM

Enthusiast
809 posts

Focal Spirit Professional
A close back headphone with most elegant and beautiful sound, so poisonous especially for female vocal. It has the typical French sound. Can imagine yourself having a French meal with a glass of wine when listening to it.
Apart from the killing sound, it has a very attractive outlook with fine build quality. Convenient for outing as it is not too bulky and foldable. It comes with a straight cable that has microphone and a coiled cable purely for music appreciation or monitoring. Cable is detachable.

user posted image

user posted image
liquidgal
post Oct 16 2016, 06:05 PM

Enthusiast
809 posts

Focal Elear
user posted image

This headphone has received a lot of good review. Tyll Hertsens from Inner Fidelity even claimed that it is "the best sub-$1000 headphone on the planet."
Is it true? I'm quite curious.

user posted image

~First Impression~

Amp: Audio-GD HE-9 (custom made)
DAC: Audio-GD Master-7
Source: Musical Paradise MP-Berry mk2 (with Rune Audio)

I received my Elear 2 days ago. It's still new and just burned-in for 12 hours, but I can already feel the potential of the world first open-backed, full-range drivers with aluminium/magnesium ’M’-shaped domes.

Lively ambiance, solid imaging, stunning dynamic, superb PRaT...
Overall sound signature is more to warm side, but it doesn't sound soft or mellow. It's also not a bassy headphone, but the impact of music is so real, punchy and tight.

Please don't forget the Elear was just out of box. I'm quite sure that the smoothness and sound stage will be improved after burn-in for 200 hours.

user posted image

~Comparison with HD800 & HE-560~

HD800 overall sounds brighter. It has more spacious sound stage, better resolution, transparency and details. It can perform orchestra and symphony very well. Elear is another signature. Treble is darker and mids is fuller.

HD800 still the king of sound stage and details, but the kick of Elear is very lively and solid, like in front of your face. In comparison, imaging of HD800 is more backward and separate to left and right.

HiFiMAN HE-560 is another competitor around this price range. It has the smoothness and airiness of typical HiFiMan house sound. Sound stage is wider and more backward than Elear. Compare with Elear, the treble is more extended but might sound a bit bright. Mids wise, Elear is more lush and forward and HE-560 is more flater.

HD800 is still my favourite for orchestra and HE-560 is fantastic for chamber music and newage, but both of them are super difficult to be driven well. They will sound bright, thin and harsh if not pairing with a proper amp.

However, the 80ohm Elear is much easier to drive. It will sound "listenable" even just pair with a DAP. I like the lively sounding very much. I really enjoy it especially for vocal, jazz and acoustic music.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.41    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:03 PM