Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

My sweet and sour pork always not crispy .

views

TSmissysleepy
post Apr 24 2014, 11:05 PM, updated 10y ago

Enthusiast
718 posts

I have use rice flour and baking soda bi carbonate to make the batter and it is crunchy but the moment i stir it with the tomato sauce, its not crunchier anymore. I have tried in some restaurant like four seasons in empire subang , their pork is still crunchier even with the sauce on it. Anyone knows if im using rice flour , corn flour and baking soda mixture mix with egg white to make the batter is correct method?
TheEvilMan
post Apr 25 2014, 07:23 AM

囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧
668 posts

add a lil bit of plain flour, rice flour usually provide a more chewy and gummy texture, think about the japanese rice cake texture, plain flour on the other way, make a solid crunchy finish. Also remember, flour > egg wash > batter. Apart from that, always make sure ur meat is dry, if u wash it before hand, use a towel or kitchen paper to dried the extra moist before u draw in egg wash and batter.

Another thing about the batter, try to keep the egg content low, because egg will soften the texture instead of making it crispy

This post has been edited by TheEvilMan: Apr 25 2014, 08:28 AM
TSmissysleepy
post Apr 25 2014, 01:29 PM

Enthusiast
718 posts

QUOTE(TheEvilMan @ Apr 25 2014, 07:23 AM)
add a lil bit of plain flour, rice flour usually provide a more chewy and gummy texture, think about the japanese rice cake texture, plain flour on the other way, make a solid crunchy finish.  Also remember, flour > egg wash > batter.  Apart from that, always make sure ur meat is dry, if u wash it before hand, use a towel or kitchen paper to dried the extra moist before u draw in egg wash and batter.

Another thing about the batter, try to keep the egg content low, because egg will soften the texture instead of making it crispy
usually i make the batter like this. I will add egg whites , rice flour, corn starch, water and baking soda as the batter mixture.

I add the meat into the batter and wait for it to absorb the batter. The batter i made is not very dilute. If the mixture is too runny, i add more rice flour and corn starch to make it more emulsifying . Most probably I made a mistake by adding water into the batter but without some water i don't think i can't stir into a mixture because egg white is too little. Maybe i need like 3 eggs instead. Which method is preferablemeat add into the batter and then have it soak up before frying vs meat dipped into egg white and follows by flouring just like frying a chicken (no batter)?By the way, I only use egg white instead of egg wash because i find the yoke enrobed the meat and lose its texture.

Whether i should add 3 of these flour together? Plain Flour, Corn Flour and rice flour or just plain flour + corn flour?

This post has been edited by missysleepy: Apr 25 2014, 01:31 PM
sevendogz
post Apr 25 2014, 01:32 PM

Regular
1,273 posts

not too much of the batter mixture, just make sure the oil is deep enough and very very hot, fry for shorter time
harvin6
post Apr 25 2014, 01:33 PM

On my way
516 posts

baking soda will expand it...try puttting corn flour
TheEvilMan
post Apr 25 2014, 01:41 PM

囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧
668 posts

try avoid using rice flour, rice flour provide sticky kind of texture and often soft (try imagine the texture of a chinese onion pancake), water isn't the issue unless u're using warm water, try use cold water and mix in plain flour and egg with some baking powder will do.
K1963
post Apr 25 2014, 04:22 PM

38 posts

The trick is wipe dry the meat n first absorb in corn flour. Then put into egg batter n next to plain flour, and fried in oil.
SUSmeistsh_musical
post May 7 2014, 10:25 PM

Ahbeng
1,111 posts

restaurant have less sauce that why can feel the crunchy

TSmissysleepy
post May 8 2014, 04:50 PM

Enthusiast
718 posts

QUOTE(meistsh_musical @ May 7 2014, 10:25 PM)
restaurant have less sauce that why can feel the crunchy
Yes, i begin to see where this fusion coming from now. Thanks.
SUSjolokia
post May 8 2014, 06:20 PM

So Hot It Burns..!!!
3,274 posts

I seen Choi Lan show, he says that Sweet & Sour Pork sauce should be thick & merely at bottom of the plate, not like watery gravy, sauce should just coating the meat not soaking it.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0118sec    0.46    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:08 AM