4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Project Dream Home :), Building my dream home from scratch

views

TSsuann821
post Apr 23 2014, 04:21 PM, updated 10y ago

41 posts

Hello all!

For the past months, this forum has given me a lot of valuable information to help ease the stress of building my new house. Like a few of the forum members who have documented their journey and helped me heaps with their postings, I'm inspired to start one too so that others can benefit from it like how I've gained from the rest. smile.gif

To cut the story short, I'm building a single storey house on an 3,655 sqft empty land (bungalow lot).
My single storey build-up is around 1,920 sqft.
Living
Dining
Kitchen
Study Room
Master Bedroom + Toilet + Wardrobe
Room 1 + Toilet
Room 2
Room 3 (Utility)
Guest Toilet

We have just finalised the construction drawing with my architect and we are ready to build!

Looking at this timeline:
July - Engage Contractor
August - Start Building
September - Building
October - Building
November - Building
December - Completion, move in!

That's all for now. Not much learnings yet, will post as I go along. smile.gif

This post has been edited by suann821: Jul 2 2014, 11:17 AM
TSsuann821
post Apr 23 2014, 04:21 PM

41 posts

People I've engaged:

Architect

Ou Yang Yu Jin from Ou Yang Architect
Address: Block C, P-65 Plaza Floor, Kelana Square, 17, SS7/28 Kelana Jaya.
Email: yujin.oya@gmail.com

This post has been edited by suann821: Apr 23 2014, 04:27 PM
Kevin Chan
post Apr 23 2014, 04:46 PM

Regular
1,997 posts

don't miss the STORE room ... your mom/wife will love you !!

happy journey ... not many people get to build house from ground up ! rclxms.gif
TSsuann821
post Apr 23 2014, 08:40 PM

41 posts

Laundry room = store room + ironing room + maids room (if I can afford one in future). smile.gif

Actually from the looks of it as of now, I have too many storage space. My boyfriend is worried and quite against it - he knows me too well, the more space I have, the more I will buy. Hahaha.
cdspins
post Apr 23 2014, 09:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

Wau... good for you. But how come single storey? 3 Bedrooms for a bungalow lot is a bit wasted. The amount of space you can have with double storey....
TSsuann821
post Apr 23 2014, 09:30 PM

41 posts

I know. sad.gif I wanted at least a 1.5 storey house but we have very limited budget.

Due to a certain complications, long story cut short, we are forking out every penny from our own pocket first before we apply for a bank loan for the house.

So to build a 1,932 sqft house, I estimate:
1932 sqft x RM120 for build up, wiring, and basic finishing = RM231,840
Miscellaneous add-ons = RM50,000
Furnitures = RM50,000
I'm already looking at a total of RM331,840 cash there already.

This post has been edited by suann821: Apr 23 2014, 09:31 PM
SUSsupersound
post Apr 23 2014, 09:40 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

You bought the land first or what?
Rather than you burst your budget, I think is better for you to apply loan first.
I doubt you can still have rm120 psqf, every extra rm10 also can kill you already.
Building a single storey and 1.5 storey will have different price because of pillars and beams to be used are different.
SUSsupersound
post Apr 23 2014, 09:43 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(cdspins @ Apr 23 2014, 09:23 PM)
Wau... good for you. But how come single storey? 3 Bedrooms for a bungalow lot is a bit wasted. The amount of space you can have with double storey....
When you grow older you will know big house are a burden.
TS are right on this(support her), about 1900-2200sqf are optimum for a family of 4 with 3-4 rooms.
Now I'm staying in double storey house, climb up and down for cleaning are a pain doh.gif
cdspins
post Apr 23 2014, 09:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 23 2014, 09:43 PM)
When you grow older you will know big house are a burden.
TS are right on this(support her), about 1900-2200sqf are optimum for a family of 4 with 3-4 rooms.
Now I'm staying in double storey house, climb up and down for cleaning are a pain doh.gif
At different stage, we may need different house biggrin.gif
When just starting a new family, 3 rooms is okay, but when a new member is added, then the grandparents will come to visit, take care and you need additional rooms for them.

If you have more children then it is good to have their own space.

But then when old, the children leave home to start their own family, and we will prefer single floor as no need to climb floor and easy to clean....

There is no Best solution, have to improvise as we go loo. laugh.gif
SUSsupersound
post Apr 23 2014, 09:56 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(cdspins @ Apr 23 2014, 09:52 PM)
At different stage, we may need different house  biggrin.gif
When just starting a new family, 3 rooms is okay, but when a new member is added, then the grandparents will come to visit, take care and you need additional rooms for them.

If you have more children then it is good to have their own space.

But then when old, the children leave home to start their own family, and we will prefer single floor as no need to climb floor and easy to clean....

There is no Best solution, have to improvise as we go loo. laugh.gif
That's why I now looking for land and build my own house thumbup.gif
keanyao
post Apr 23 2014, 10:02 PM

Getting Started
84 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 23 2014, 09:56 PM)
That's why I now looking for land and build my own house thumbup.gif
That good for u... Haha got any location u looking for ur land... I just have a land (bungalow lot) at rawang wanting to sell it.... Cause I prefer condo more than landed.... U can PM me..
SUSsupersound
post Apr 23 2014, 10:04 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(keanyao @ Apr 23 2014, 10:02 PM)
That good for u... Haha got any location u looking for ur land... I just have a land (bungalow lot) at rawang wanting to sell it.... Cause I prefer condo more than landed.... U can PM me..
Looking for Seremban land only icon_rolleyes.gif
cstkl1
post Apr 23 2014, 10:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
6,799 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 23 2014, 09:40 PM)
Rather than you burst your budget, I think is better for you to apply loan first.
I doubt you can still have rm120 psqf, every extra rm10 also can kill you already.
Building a single storey and 1.5 storey will have different price because of pillars and beams to be used are different.
+1 super sound advice.
SUSsupersound
post Apr 23 2014, 10:07 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(cstkl1 @ Apr 23 2014, 10:04 PM)
+1 super sound advice.
Buy the land only, max loan 50%.
Buy the land and build house directly, 90% maximum(if you entitle for it)
But the procedure are freaking complicated, as of bank officer rclxub.gif
TSsuann821
post Apr 23 2014, 10:22 PM

41 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 23 2014, 09:40 PM)
it is a rather long and complicated story, dont want to touch on that. the outcome of the story is that we will be building the house, single storey. i actually have about rm400k allocated, so if the price stretch from rm120 to rm150 per sqft, i can still cover. just trying not to spend too much. smile.gif

my boyfriend and i are just starting to build a family, so a big house is really not necessary at this point of time. 1,932 sqft is already very big compared to many condo units nowadays. plus, with the rooms allocation i have, it is good enough for a small family. perhaps 20 years down the road if situation calls for and we have surplus money, can tear down and build next time. for now, i rather not stretch my budget to the maximum and feel financially tight about everything else.

This post has been edited by suann821: Apr 23 2014, 10:25 PM
Fazab
post Apr 23 2014, 10:51 PM

On my way
518 posts

QUOTE(suann821 @ Apr 23 2014, 10:22 PM)
it is a rather long and complicated story, dont want to touch on that. the outcome of the story is that we will be building the house, single storey. i actually have about rm400k allocated, so if the price stretch from rm120 to rm150 per sqft, i can still cover. just trying not to spend too much. smile.gif

my boyfriend and i are just starting to build a family, so a big house is really not necessary at this point of time. 1,932 sqft is already very big compared to many condo units nowadays. plus, with the rooms allocation i have, it is good enough for a small family. perhaps 20 years down the road if situation calls for and we have surplus money, can tear down and build next time. for now, i rather not stretch my budget to the maximum and feel financially tight about everything else.
Try to leave some land at one side, so that later in your life can add a double storey annex to become a 1.5 storey house.
Also can consult your architect to make the pillar and beams stronger, bigger foundation etc. , then can add extra floor later on .

ozak
post Apr 23 2014, 11:46 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,545 posts

You don't need a big house if you feel not neccessary. Yes, it is a burden and waste time and resource to manage big house. You can try with a small house first.

You have a plenty of choice given it you built your own house. Try ask your architect to have a space for future expansion. Draw out some future expansion for an example to see. So when you need it, add some space or room.
SUSsupersound
post Apr 23 2014, 11:58 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

Ok then, I keep quiet on the loan(still if can take it).
rm120-150 I think is kind of too optimistic as those are considered 3rd grade job(boss local, workers all Indon/Banglas), 1st grade job would be darn expensive, at least rm200.
Try to confirm the actual cost all in first then only decide what to do next.
3655sqf is what width and length?
When you have surplus of money, better use it for others rather than rebuild the house.
paskal
post Apr 24 2014, 08:23 AM

armchair commando couch potato
2,796 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 23 2014, 11:58 PM)
Ok then, I keep quiet on the loan(still if can take it).
rm120-150 I think is kind of too optimistic as those are considered 3rd grade job(boss local, workers all Indon/Banglas), 1st grade job would be darn expensive, at least rm200.
Try to confirm the actual cost all in first then only decide what to do next.
3655sqf is what width and length?
When you have surplus of money, better use it for others rather than rebuild the house.
freckin expensive up there.
over here basic house with basic equipment could be had for ~RM85 per sqft. basic house, good equipment ~RM95/sqft. full spec with good quality finishing is around ~RM105/sqft.

TS do post your house plan once it's released by your architect.
SUSsupersound
post Apr 24 2014, 09:53 AM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(paskal @ Apr 24 2014, 08:23 AM)
freckin expensive up there.
over here basic house with basic equipment could be had for ~RM85 per sqft. basic house, good equipment ~RM95/sqft. full spec with good quality finishing is around ~RM105/sqft.

TS do post your house plan once it's released by your architect.
So you are trying to convince TS on the pricing, we are at central Malaysia while you are using Kedah's price to compare hmm.gif
Also, in central, most ID will songlap 50-200% from the original price, so it is not that easy to get your price over here. Even in Seremban cheapest also need rm100 shocking.gif

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0294sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:48 PM