Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

University Studying Architecture at UCSI

views

TSshatehou
post Apr 21 2014, 01:30 PM, updated 10y ago

Getting Started
279 posts

Anyone here studying architecture at UCSI? how are facilities/lecturers? i tried googling and found several bad reviews about the place which made me skeptical, but then again most of them were 3-4 years back .couldnt find any recent ones, so how is the place now?

This post has been edited by shatehou: Apr 21 2014, 01:31 PM
azarimy
post Apr 21 2014, 03:59 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

what sort of bad reviews?
TSshatehou
post Apr 21 2014, 04:49 PM

Getting Started
279 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Apr 21 2014, 03:59 PM)
what sort of bad reviews?
when i find threads about ucsi, and also i read at the ucsi confession page, some students there say management there is bad ,etc, but most of them are old comments though
azarimy
post Apr 21 2014, 05:01 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(shatehou @ Apr 21 2014, 08:49 AM)
when i find threads about ucsi, and also i read at the ucsi confession page, some students there say management there is bad ,etc, but most of them are old comments though
u shouldnt generalise. university management is different from the schools itself. in fact, a bad experience in one particular department of a university doesnt mean the entire university is bad. and sometimes, it's just a matter of expectations. some people expect too much. just because u paid RM50k for a degree doesnt mean u can make anyone in the university lick ur boots (figuratively speaking) wink.gif.

have u read my architecture thread pinned on this section?
TSshatehou
post Apr 21 2014, 05:47 PM

Getting Started
279 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Apr 21 2014, 05:01 PM)
u shouldnt generalise. university management is different from the schools itself. in fact, a bad experience in one particular department of a university doesnt mean the entire university is bad. and sometimes, it's just a matter of expectations. some people expect too much. just because u paid RM50k for a degree doesnt mean u can make anyone in the university lick ur boots (figuratively speaking) wink.gif.

oo i see, thanks for the advice , and yeah i read ur thread about architecture awhile ago smile.gif
SoZa
post Apr 21 2014, 07:48 PM

Getting Started
134 posts

I studied architecture there

What's good
-accreditation
-passionate lecturer
-multiple recognition

What's bad
-facility, studio and study area
-security, snatch thief hotspot area
-parking
TSshatehou
post Apr 21 2014, 09:32 PM

Getting Started
279 posts

QUOTE(SoZa @ Apr 21 2014, 07:48 PM)
I studied architecture there

What's good
-accreditation
-passionate lecturer
-multiple recognition

What's bad
-facility, studio and study area
-security, snatch thief hotspot area
-parking
oo i see, how bad is the facility ? messy/dirty? btw is it compulsory to stay at the hostel there when studying architecture if u live nearby (20 -30 minutes away) ? because i heard studying architecture requires staying overnight /etc ? is it true?
azarimy
post Apr 21 2014, 09:36 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(shatehou @ Apr 21 2014, 01:32 PM)
oo i see, how bad is the facility ? messy/dirty? btw is it compulsory to stay at the hostel there when studying architecture if u live nearby (20 -30 minutes away) ? because i heard studying architecture requires staying overnight /etc ? is it true?
i've been to UCSI recently, and i can say their facilities is quite adequate. for your information, sufficient facilities for education is a compulsory requirement for accreditation by LAM. since they're already been accredited, rest assured that it has met the standards set.

architecture do not REQUIRE one to stay overnight. it's the student and their poor time management that causes it. alternatively, u could just work at home.
TSshatehou
post Apr 21 2014, 10:09 PM

Getting Started
279 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Apr 21 2014, 09:36 PM)
i've been to UCSI recently, and i can say their facilities is quite adequate. for your information, sufficient facilities for education is a compulsory requirement for accreditation by LAM. since they're already been accredited, rest assured that it has met the standards set.

architecture do not REQUIRE one to stay overnight. it's the student and their poor time management that causes it. alternatively, u could just work at home.
i see, thanks again for your info ~ you've been really helpful to me ^^
douglas_loon
post Apr 21 2014, 10:57 PM

Casual
340 posts

Oh goodie! Seems shatehou and I are in the same boat for the time being. biggrin.gif
TSshatehou
post Apr 21 2014, 11:01 PM

Getting Started
279 posts

QUOTE(douglas_loon @ Apr 21 2014, 10:57 PM)
Oh goodie! Seems shatehou and I are in the same boat for the time being. biggrin.gif
lol u plan on going there too? xD
SoZa
post Apr 21 2014, 11:59 PM

Getting Started
134 posts

QUOTE(shatehou @ Apr 21 2014, 09:32 PM)
The facility is just unsatisfactory, most of us prefer to not work at home because of motivation, student are more pumped up when working with together but the facility does not allow us to do so such as studio locked at 6, aircond stop working at 10 which shouldn't be a problem if there is fan in the studio and sitting in the common area is very limited.

No its not compulsory to stay at hotel, they don't encourage student staying at hostel by converting those of them into a boutique hostel.

You can find accommodation around the area, many houses rented out for student

Its not necessary to overnight doing work, but at night its quiter and calmer to do work and we can focus better
SoZa
post Apr 22 2014, 12:02 AM

Getting Started
134 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Apr 21 2014, 09:36 PM)

Sir, a little birdie told me Taylor's is having problem with accreditation, how true is it?
azarimy
post Apr 22 2014, 08:06 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(SoZa @ Apr 21 2014, 04:02 PM)
Sir, a little birdie told me Taylor's is having problem with accreditation, how true is it?
not exactly a problem, but they're quite late in the reaccreditation process. they should've sat for the accreditation visit by end of last year. not sure what's the hold up.

it's not entirely unusual. UTM lapsed their accreditation for about 6 months in 2011.

the only problem is if they fail it.
douglas_loon
post Apr 22 2014, 03:38 PM

Casual
340 posts

QUOTE(shatehou @ Apr 21 2014, 11:01 PM)
lol u plan on going there too? xD
Not sure but USCI is in one of my IPTS if I don't manage to enter the locals. smile.gif
azarimy
post Apr 22 2014, 03:52 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(SoZa @ Apr 21 2014, 03:59 PM)
The facility is just unsatisfactory, most of us prefer to not work at home because of motivation, student are more pumped up when working with together but the facility does not allow us to do so such as studio locked at 6, aircond stop working at 10 which shouldn't be a problem if there is fan in the studio and sitting in the common area is very limited.

No its not compulsory to stay at hotel, they don't encourage student staying at hostel by converting those of them into a boutique hostel.

You can find accommodation around the area, many houses rented out for student

Its not necessary to overnight doing work, but at night its quiter and calmer to do work and we can focus better
this is not a unique problem. even IPTAs we have this problem too. previously UTM only allows studio access till 6pm (negotiable to 12am) and only during weekdays. only recently the student body got strong enough to negotiate full 24/7 studios, and even so, it only applies to 30% of the studios.

remember, some universities dont even have a dedicated studio space wink.gif.
EduSpiral
post Apr 27 2014, 11:17 PM

Your online education advisor
654 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Apr 21 2014, 05:01 PM)

I agree. With so many students in one university, there is bound to be one unhappy student. UCSI's quality is generally good and they comply with the requirements for accreditation by LAM.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:50 PM