Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware Print Server for HP Deskjet K209a

views

TSqhalidx
post Apr 21 2014, 12:04 PM, updated 10y ago

Getting Started
148 posts

Hello,
my home pc is current using HP Deskjet Ink Advantage All-in-One Printer - K209a printer. Since one of my family member has bought a new pc, he wanted to use the printer and don't want him messing with my pc so i looking for a print server that support that model. A few model i've saw on a few lowyat store, between this two.

1-Single USB2.0 Port MFP and Storage Server TL-PS310U
2- Dlink 3 Port USB DPR-106

could anyone help in choosing a print server or any other compatble model in the market for it? icon_question.gif
netmatrix
post Apr 21 2014, 01:06 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

Unfortunately print servers is a trial and error and somewhat a gamble really.

What is does is emulate USB port over LAN so u can use all the functions. At times the driver might work and might not. The problem i have when configuring these things are usually the time out settings. Some printers are instantaneous and can detect network delays as timeout and the printer will somewhat hang.

And i used that RM200 unit with 2 USB and 1 LPT top of price range model. Still have problems linking it to KX-1121 & an OfficeJet fax machine. Weird time outs. Only the KX1121 is listed in printer support list. The officejet is not.

So its really a gamble more than anything if the printer is not listed in support list.
TSqhalidx
post Apr 21 2014, 01:33 PM

Getting Started
148 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Apr 21 2014, 01:06 PM)
Unfortunately print servers is a trial and error and somewhat a gamble really.

What is does is emulate USB port over LAN so u can use all the functions. At times the driver might work and might not. The problem i have when configuring these things are usually the time out settings. Some printers are instantaneous and can detect network delays as timeout and the printer will somewhat hang.

And i used that RM200 unit with 2 USB and 1 LPT top of price range model. Still have problems linking it to KX-1121 & an OfficeJet fax machine. Weird time outs. Only the KX1121 is listed in printer support list. The officejet is not.

So its really a gamble more than anything if the printer is not listed in support list.
is that so, that is kinda frightening since i don't have much to spend on uncertain things. maybe i'll think about it first, many thanks by the way
netmatrix
post Apr 21 2014, 01:36 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

QUOTE(qhalidx @ Apr 21 2014, 01:33 PM)
is that so, that is kinda frightening since i don't have much to spend on uncertain things. maybe i'll think about it first, many thanks by the way
Why not u install the printer on her computer instead?
trix
post Apr 21 2014, 01:44 PM

Enthusiast
798 posts

Why not just share the printer from your pc?
Or if your router has a usb port, check if it has a print server function
Scanning function might not work though, you need usb over ip function for that (eg tplink wr1043nd supports this)
TSqhalidx
post Apr 21 2014, 04:09 PM

Getting Started
148 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Apr 21 2014, 01:36 PM)
Why not u install the printer on her computer instead?
we are not home on the same occasion plus the we came to a compromise that the printer will stay on the living room as everyone can use it. As for using the router, my streamyx router doesn't have that capability. rclxub.gif
h@ksam
post Apr 21 2014, 08:13 PM

@ is a
3,444 posts

all this fuss over a inkjet? yawn.gif

those items you mentioned are quite pricey, I'd rather source another basic inkjet, even bought a second hand unit shipped to my house for RM70 as a spare scanner.

the thing about inkjets is they are completely worthless once the ink tanks run out, these manufacturers make most of their money from selling catridges and these catridges never last.

if you insist on just one and only printer for everyone to use, should consider buying a basic wireless or LAN mono laser, which saves money on toners in the long run.

something like this is awesome on the wallet,

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officew...inter-brhl2135w

was even on offer for RM150 a few days back.

unfortunately I can't locate any similar item at same price in Malaysia, buying printers here is not just expensive but limited in choices.

awhile back, I was looking for a wireless multi-function Samsung laser and no has it here, I remember the words on the packaging, Made In Malaysia while opening one back in Australia, how pathetic.

This post has been edited by h@ksam: Apr 21 2014, 08:16 PM
TSqhalidx
post Apr 22 2014, 10:38 AM

Getting Started
148 posts

QUOTE(h@ksam @ Apr 21 2014, 08:13 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
since its is a family matter what can i do sweat.gif . thanks for the suggestion though
JunJun04035
post Apr 22 2014, 03:56 PM

Sir Kalahari, Duke of Autocorrect
1,167 posts

simple, you used face this problem last time when sharing a printer in a houseful of college student

everybody get the printer installed on the their computer and done.

everyone who need to print pls go to the living room, connect the printer usb and print.

end of story
WebWalker
post Apr 22 2014, 04:01 PM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

If you interest in certain print server, check the product website.
Usually they will mentioned which printer/model are supported.

OR

Bite the bullet, just get a printer with network support.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0127sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:11 PM