post Apr 20 2014, 06:30 PM, updated 10y ago

Casual
363 posts

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/18/tech/mob...vach/index.html

Smartphone innovation has stalled, but that's OK
Business Insider
By Steve Kovach, Business Insider
April 18, 2014

(CNN) -- Here's a short message to smartphone makers before you try to wow us with a bunch of glitzy features in your next device: Don't do it.
It's been more than seven years since Apple introduced the original iPhone and reset our expectations for what a smartphone should be. But Steve Jobs was right on the money. It took some five years for the competition to catch up to the iPhone.

Now, with newly launched high-end devices like the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S5, it almost doesn't matter which phone you buy anymore. The best ones are all pretty much on par with each other.

Recent reviews of the HTC One and Galaxy S5 had a common theme: They're both great devices, but neither has any sparkling features that make them worth upgrading to unless you're in dire need of a new smartphone.

Some critics have gone so far as to say smartphone innovation has stalled.

I think that's a good thing.

There's a reason the three best phones on the market -- the iPhone 5S, Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One -- seem boring on the surface. They all focus on simple stuff most people care about: screen size and quality, camera, design and battery life.

Meanwhile, the me-too smartphone manufacturers seem desperate when they try to stand out with absurd or gimmicky features like 41-megapixel cameras (Nokia), customized designs (Motorola) and awkward volume and power controls on the back of the device (LG).

After years of flashy phone launches, it's easy to feel jaded about the state of innovation today. "The new iPhone is boring!" the pundits scream with every new release. But they're missing the big picture.

The best smartphone makers know what matters most to users, and they focus on those items. And over the course of just a few years, our standards for what makes a good smartphone have gone way up. Innovation may not happen overnight, but that doesn't mean it has completely stopped.

If you step back and look at the evolution of smartphones as a whole, you can see we've come a long way in a relatively short time. It's not because manufacturers tried to reinvent the smartphone with every new release but because they focused on what matters.

For example, the original iPhone was a major dud by today's standards. It couldn't record video. It didn't have an app store. You could use the keyboard only in portrait mode. The screen was pixelated and dim. You had to sync it with your computer if you wanted to update the software. But with every new iPhone and release of iOS, those things got better.

Today's iPhone 5S, with its sharp screen and vibrant content ecosystem, feels like something out of a dream compared with its ancestor. Now, imagine what smartphones will be like after another seven years of iterative improvements.

Companies that try too hard to differentiate their new phones with "wow" factors end up hurting smartphone innovation in the long run. The best example of this is probably last year's Galaxy S4, which came packed with so many over-the-top features like touchless gestures and eye tracking that consumers complained it was too hard to use.

Samsung backtracked with the Galaxy S5 and either turned off many of those features or made them an optional download. The result was a streamlined phone that was much more refined.

It's easy for pundits like me to lament the end of smartphones with every major new release, but it's the so-called boring phones that are arguably driving innovation forward. They're focusing on what matters instead of trying random gimmicks and hoping one sticks.
SUSManyGer
post Apr 20 2014, 06:43 PM

Getting Started
81 posts

waiting for infrared camera smart phone...
blacktone77
post Apr 20 2014, 06:49 PM

Getting Started
162 posts

what people most want now are ease of use,longer battery life and most important less bloatware...
SUSaltimi
post Apr 20 2014, 06:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,173 posts

agreed
idoblu
post Apr 20 2014, 06:52 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

No new innovation from Apple, other makers also got nothing to copy LOL
SUSFindingGamerWife
post Apr 20 2014, 06:54 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Samsung is leading the market not because innovation has stalled, but because its competitors are going backwards

- lack of removable batteries
- lack of sd card 64gb
- lack of flexibility to change os/break
- lack of free apps

all this will be the death of every non samsung phones non chinese non sony phones (and even then they produce garbage sometimes)
fabianz03
post Apr 20 2014, 06:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,649 posts

All I want is smooth UI and long lasting batteries
Sylf
post Apr 20 2014, 06:56 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

those bloody big companies should reduce the freaking phone price.

high end phone here cost 2k+ which is about a person's monthly salary
red streak
post Apr 20 2014, 06:56 PM

Doto 2 Pinoy Slayer
1,482 posts

I want battery life T_T
[+]
post Apr 20 2014, 06:57 PM

Regular
1,935 posts

waiting 1 that can project 3D hologram
flyf
post Apr 20 2014, 07:00 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(FindingGamerWife @ Apr 20 2014, 06:54 PM)
Samsung is leading the market not because innovation has stalled, but because its competitors are going backwards

- lack of removable batteries
- lack of sd card 64gb
- lack of flexibility to change os/break
- lack of free apps

all this will be the death of every non samsung phones non chinese non sony phones (and even then they produce garbage sometimes)
+99
MR_alien
post Apr 20 2014, 07:01 PM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,300 posts

project ara
kehadapan
post Apr 20 2014, 07:01 PM

Casual
426 posts

gimme good battery life, and exceptional camera

then my money is yours
alien3d
post Apr 20 2014, 07:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

Mored battery life...1 days.. 4 core.is more then enough lol
LiMi
post Apr 20 2014, 07:09 PM

Enthusiast
735 posts

it's pretty amazing if u stand back and look at the whole picture

how long did it took for PC to have 4GB RAM since PC was invented? Now smartphones have 3 GB in them! in less than 7 years!
We've been spoiled by the light-speed innovation on a yearly basis. it's only 7 years since the smartphone revolution, things have settled down and most innovations will be incremental.

Best hope for more innovation is project ara or wearable devices
SUSgtasaboss
post Apr 20 2014, 07:19 PM

Requiem
601 posts

nope, theres still innovations like
-borderless screen
-battery slots
-stronger casing
-hardware longevity
-wireless peripherals
-ease of use
-power consumption
-voice/action commands
left to be found
SoZa
post Apr 20 2014, 07:24 PM

Getting Started
134 posts

Google project ara is coming
bakry
post Apr 20 2014, 07:24 PM

Casual
385 posts

QUOTE(gtasaboss @ Apr 20 2014, 07:19 PM)
nope, theres still innovations like
-borderless screen
-battery slots
-stronger casing
-hardware longevity
-wireless peripherals
-ease of use
-power consumption
-voice/action commands
left to be found
No offence, but I don't think those count as innovations. Improvements or features, yes. But not innovations. To be counted as an innovation, it has to be something totally revolutionary.

syockit
post Apr 20 2014, 07:26 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

I want somebody to reboot this:

I need the extra screen real estate.
danny_sp15
post Apr 20 2014, 07:32 PM

==============
3,045 posts

Nokia's 41MP isnt just a gimmick. That shit is amazing.

2 Pages  1 2 >
Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0154sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:34 AM