Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Linux Job In Malaysia

views

TSsnooper
post Apr 20 2014, 03:02 PM, updated 10y ago

4 posts

Hi Gurus,

Hopefully i posted in the right thread.
Bit of myself , I'm a Web Developer that been working a lot on window xp and window 7 alongside with other PHP / server scripting.
I'm looking for some new challenge in my life.
Currently i'm looking for a new job. Looking for a better life. As you know life is getting harder each day thanks to Ajis Gor , everything seems to be naik harga

I found a few in Jobstreets which is good , but then i have a roadblock.
Always in job for Web Developer in certain company , listed Linux is one of the requirement.
May i ask which distro that came to your mind? or whats the normal Linux distro that been using in your company ?

I wanna pick up this skill and remove my roadblock and challenge myself. Will Ubuntu sufficient? or BSD such as those in Macbook?
Please advice ~~~

This post has been edited by snooper: Apr 20 2014, 09:59 PM
amyhs99
post Apr 20 2014, 07:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,807 posts

CentOS or Redhat smile.gif
TSsnooper
post Apr 20 2014, 10:01 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(amyhs99 @ Apr 20 2014, 07:49 PM)
CentOS or Redhat  smile.gif
Thanks for the replied Buddy ~~~
Lord Tiki Mick
post Apr 21 2014, 03:51 AM

Regular
1,018 posts

QUOTE(amyhs99 @ Apr 20 2014, 07:49 PM)
CentOS or Redhat  smile.gif
Is there any big difference between both of them? Both are using RPM aren't they?
amyhs99
post Apr 21 2014, 10:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,807 posts

Basically RHEL, CentOS, Fedora is the same thing. CentOS is like a RHEL without corporate support. Fedora always gets the latest features.

Read more:
http://www.danielmiessler.com/study/fedora_redhat_centos/

smile.gif

This post has been edited by amyhs99: Apr 21 2014, 10:03 AM
TSsnooper
post Apr 21 2014, 10:09 AM

4 posts

QUOTE(amyhs99 @ Apr 21 2014, 10:03 AM)
Basically RHEL, CentOS, Fedora is the same thing. CentOS is like a RHEL without corporate support. Fedora always gets the latest features.

Read more:
http://www.danielmiessler.com/study/fedora_redhat_centos/

smile.gif
Just some point of view here to share , would really grateful if anyone could share out what their thoughts.
Isn't that BSD such as Mac osx also possible to run Apache, PHP etc... , from your point of view , if the Job requirement stated Linux is one of the requirement.
Can BSD such as Mac osx fit into the picture.

if i learned CLI through BSD , this applies to requirement for Linux as well isnt ? Since both are from same mother ( Unix )
temptation1314
post Apr 21 2014, 10:45 AM

Specials : 1,000,000 Spam Post Attack
2,287 posts

Maybe you can try applying and see if you are able to pick them up.

I'm currently a linux admin with zero knowledge on linux totally. Pick them up as I learn and work in the company itself.
amyhs99
post Apr 21 2014, 10:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,807 posts

QUOTE(snooper @ Apr 21 2014, 10:09 AM)
Just some point of view here to share , would really grateful if anyone could share out what their thoughts.
Isn't that BSD such as Mac osx also possible to run Apache, PHP etc... , from your point of view , if the Job requirement stated Linux is one of the requirement.

if i learned CLI through BSD , this applies to requirement for Linux as well isnt ? Since both are from same mother ( Unix )
Apache and PHP can be run many platforms include BSD Linux Unix MacOS.
Just learn during your job, google is always there for help. rclxms.gif

I also have 0 knowledge with linux with i start my linux support job.
TRUNASUCI
post Apr 21 2014, 02:11 PM

Enthusiast
832 posts

learn CLI is very2 good and a fundamental of all UNIXES.. but in this case u need to divide into 2-3 thing.

1- apps level.. like u said, apache PHP etc , it can run on many platform including windows

2- platform - unix, linux, bsd, have some similiarites, unix basics.. but also have different especially on package management, file system structure etc..

the company stated Linux because they use it and want someonwe know how to handle and troubleshoot any problem on it. If u capable to troubleshoot both platform and apps on it.. u're qualified..

Lord Tiki Mick
post Apr 21 2014, 03:12 PM

Regular
1,018 posts

Basically BSD and Linux is similar. If you can use Linux, you can also comprehend Unix (Solaris, BSD, etc). It's just that some programs have the same name, but doesn't actually have the same command line options. I'm not sure whether unixes using package manager or not though.
angch
post Apr 21 2014, 08:28 PM

On my way
635 posts

If a company looking for a Web Developer lists Linux as a requirement, that normally means the server side is Linux, and that generally means one of the more stable distros, e.g. centos, ubuntu lts. IMHO, the easiest way to get acquainted as a *Developer* (not sysadmin) to Linux, is to use Vagrant http://www.vagrantup.com/ or similar VM based solutions to try to deploy your code *consistently* on a production platform.

Then familiarize yourself with the whole git/hg etc related development workflow. If you have that down pat, no one cares about what desktop you run (stick with whatever you're productive with).
TSsnooper
post Apr 22 2014, 11:48 AM

4 posts

Hi Gurus,

Thanks for all the replies here and indeed inspiring.
Venturing into new job and one of the requirement Linux as a roadblock indeed shielded myself from many great opportunity out there.

Thanks also for sharing from many here especially temptation1314 & amyhs99 ... it's also happy to seeing that you guys made a breakthrough, i think i'll just going to give it a shots applying those job with *nix and also at the same time sharpening those *nix skill on the other hand.
wodenus
post Apr 24 2014, 04:47 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(snooper @ Apr 22 2014, 11:48 AM)
Hi Gurus,

Thanks for all the replies here and indeed inspiring.
Venturing into new job and one of the requirement Linux as a roadblock indeed shielded myself from many great opportunity out there.

Thanks also for sharing from many here especially temptation1314 & amyhs99 ... it's also happy to seeing that you guys made a breakthrough,  i think i'll just going to give it a shots applying those job with *nix and also at the same time sharpening those *nix skill on the other hand.
http://www.lpi.org/ <-- the best qualification ever.
malleus
post Apr 30 2014, 08:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(wodenus @ Apr 24 2014, 04:47 PM)
http://www.lpi.org/ <-- the best qualification ever.
wodenus' no longer advocating to go freebsd instead? smile.gif
wodenus
post Apr 30 2014, 03:54 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(malleus @ Apr 30 2014, 08:24 AM)
wodenus' no longer advocating to go freebsd instead? smile.gif
Yea lol... it's been ages since I used it.. different tools I guess, fbsd was a good router box when no one could buy any routers, but now they are all cheap so smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.55    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:37 PM