Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to let TD-W8910G to act as wireless bridge?, connect wirelessly to w/less router

views

TScrazyito
post Apr 20 2014, 01:58 PM, updated 10y ago

Getting Started
82 posts

As the topic suggests, I wish to expand the range of my wireless network so that the 2nd floor PCs can have a stronger signal, and my 1st floor desktop computer can connect to it via ethernet cable. My main router is at the Ground floor and this TD-W8910G will be placed at 1st floor.

I've searched the web and know that we can do that using firmware like DD-wrt, Tomato or OpenWrt. But this model is not in their supported device lists. So I'm wondering can I use these firmwares too? Or is there any other way I can do this?

WebWalker
post Apr 20 2014, 03:04 PM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

Only Wifi router that have Wifi extender feature capable to do repeater work - make the WIFI signal stronger or wider.

If you WIFI router doesn't has that feature, you might consider to get WIFI repeater, and I think it is quite cheap nowadays.
h@ksam
post Apr 20 2014, 03:31 PM

@ is a
3,444 posts

for wireless extension i.e no connection of cable between main and secondary router, a repeater or WDS router will do the job just fine,

the W8910G is unfortunately not supported by custom firmwares to enable repeating/WDS

if you're able to pull the LAN cable from main router to the first floor, then your TD-W8910G could be converted as an access point.

a basic guide here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

GL
TScrazyito
post Apr 20 2014, 04:38 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(WebWalker @ Apr 20 2014, 03:04 PM)
Only Wifi router that have Wifi extender feature capable to do repeater work - make the WIFI signal stronger or wider.

If you WIFI router doesn't has that feature, you might consider to get WIFI repeater, and I think it is quite cheap nowadays.
A repeater will only solve my 1st problem (increase the strength of the signal for 2nd floor PCs), but won't solve my 2nd problem (connect 1st floor PC to it using ethernet cable) right? Or I can connect a secondary router to the repeater?

This post has been edited by crazyito: Apr 20 2014, 04:40 PM
TScrazyito
post Apr 20 2014, 04:53 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(h@ksam @ Apr 20 2014, 03:31 PM)
for wireless extension i.e no connection of cable between main and secondary router, a repeater or WDS router will do the job just fine,

the W8910G is unfortunately not supported by custom firmwares to enable repeating/WDS

if you're able to pull the LAN cable from main router to the first floor, then your TD-W8910G could be converted as an access point.

a basic guide here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

GL
Too bad, that means there's no way I can do it wirelessly with this router.

Yes, a LAN cable will solve all my problems, but I still prefer wireless because pulling a cable from ground to 1st floor doesn't look nice biggrin.gif. If pull it along the corner and ceiling, i will need a long cable. Looks like I still have to stick with this option. *sigh*

Anyway, thx for your help and the link thumbup.gif
ihavenoidea
post Apr 20 2014, 05:09 PM

Regular
1,274 posts

QUOTE(crazyito @ Apr 20 2014, 04:53 PM)
Too bad, that means there's no way I can do it wirelessly with this router.

Yes, a LAN cable will solve all my problems, but I still prefer wireless because pulling a cable from ground to 1st floor doesn't look nice biggrin.gif. If pull it along the corner and ceiling, i will need a long cable. Looks like I still have to stick with this option. *sigh*

Anyway, thx for your help and the link  thumbup.gif
Do consider homeplugs.
h@ksam
post Apr 20 2014, 06:55 PM

@ is a
3,444 posts

QUOTE(crazyito @ Apr 20 2014, 04:38 PM)
A repeater will only solve my 1st problem (increase the strength of the signal for 2nd floor PCs), but won't solve my 2nd problem (connect 1st floor PC to it using ethernet cable) right? Or I can connect a secondary router to the repeater?
a typical standalone repeater, does provide one LAN port and you should be able to connect your second router to it if you need more ethernet ports. Otherwise, connect your PC straight to the repeater or get a cheap USB wifi adapter.

pros - no-brainer setup, simple and hassle free
cons - highly sensitive to positioning for signal strength with main router, only one LAN port, not flexible on network options, price

the option I use is WDS, with one TP-Link router upstairs on a 2nd wifi network.

pros - 4 LAN ports on a single power point, able to separate into 2 Wifi networks with different SSID, more flexible on positioning, stronger external antennae (upgradable as well), considered the more superior networking protocol to repeater, cheapest option
cons - WDS is non-standardised, it may or may not work with other branded routers, might be sensitive to positioning for signal strength with main router

you could also choose Homeplug option as mentioned by 'ihavenoidea', requiring two power points and two homeplugs one on each floor, and then connect a short LAN cable from the main router to the homeplug on groundfloor, then another LAN cable from homeplug on first floor, to your secondary router.

pros - best option when it works, packet loss between routers is reduced to almost nothing, streaming HD content and transferring files between 2 floors will be a joy
cons - most expensive option, takes up power points, might not work as good (or not at all) if both the power points are on a separate phase

all three options are perfectly fine on internet speed, surfing and downloading when they are successfully deployed.

GL

TScrazyito
post Apr 22 2014, 10:24 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(ihavenoidea @ Apr 20 2014, 05:09 PM)
Do consider homeplugs.
Yea, I did search for the price, around RM100+. I would rather buy a longer cable and pull it to the 1st floor. biggrin.gif
TScrazyito
post Apr 22 2014, 10:36 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(h@ksam @ Apr 20 2014, 06:55 PM)
a typical standalone repeater, does provide one LAN port and you should be able to connect your second router to it if you need more ethernet ports. Otherwise, connect your PC straight to the repeater or get a cheap USB wifi adapter.

pros - no-brainer setup, simple and hassle free
cons - highly sensitive to positioning for signal strength with main router, only one LAN port, not flexible on network options, price
the option I use is WDS, with one TP-Link router upstairs on a 2nd wifi network.

pros - 4 LAN ports on a single power point, able to separate into 2 Wifi networks with different SSID, more flexible on positioning, stronger external antennae (upgradable as well), considered the more superior networking protocol to repeater, cheapest option
cons - WDS is non-standardised, it may or may not work with other branded routers, might be sensitive to positioning for signal strength with main router
you could also choose Homeplug option as mentioned by 'ihavenoidea', requiring two power points and two homeplugs one on each floor, and then connect a short LAN cable from the main router to the homeplug on groundfloor, then another LAN cable from homeplug on first floor, to your secondary router.

pros - best option when it works, packet loss between routers is reduced to almost nothing, streaming HD content and transferring files between 2 floors will be a joy
cons - most expensive option, takes up power points, might not work as good (or not at all) if both the power points are on a separate phase

all three options are perfectly fine on internet speed, surfing and downloading when they are successfully deployed.

GL
I'm currently using a TP-Link wifi adapter, but feel like sometimes it's not that stable.

For WDS, I need firmware like DD-wrt right? But my router is not in any of the firmwares lists. And as pointer out by h@ksam, my router is not supported by the custom firmware for repeating/WDS.

Homeplug is over my budget, I would rather go for cable.

Thanks for your help and detailed analysis on the 3 options thumbup.gif
JunJun04035
post Apr 23 2014, 06:57 AM

Sir Kalahari, Duke of Autocorrect
1,167 posts

QUOTE(crazyito @ Apr 22 2014, 10:24 PM)
Yea, I did search for the price, around RM100+. I would rather buy a longer cable and pull it to the 1st floor. biggrin.gif
all thos tedious whacking, encasing and pulling doesnt pay u a hundred bucks?

just 2 cents blush.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:57 PM