Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Laptop Does Not Power Up

views

TSsci-fi
post Apr 18 2014, 04:34 PM, updated 10y ago

3 posts

Hi, I have a laptop that cannot power up. It's a HP, a bit about it - there is no indicator LED on the adapter "brick", but there is a white LED at the power jack on the laptop. If power brick connects to laptop with power on wall socket switched on, it should light up this next to jack's LED. (refer to pic)

Now, over history the laptop battery has already kaput, so I have used the adapter direct connect to wall power socket (battery taken out) with no problem until one day it no longer works.

Problem is that with adapter connected to laptop and wall outlet & the wall socket switched on, the laptop no more light up the LED at the power jack. The laptop is as dead as a ghost. No reaction at all, just like no electric despite wall socket connected and switched on.

user posted image
(Picture not mine)
(The white LED like in the picture will not light up when power is connected. In working condition last time, this LED will light up whenever power is flowed to laptop, regardless whether laptop boot up or not)

Now, my first suspicion is the adapter "brick" kaput. Since the brick does not have any LED, I cannot know if it is problematic.

To test, I have another HP laptop (not so new), my faulty laptop also HP and specify 19V DC. The other working laptop is different model than the faulty one, but also is 19V DC. So what I do is I cut the adapter wire of the other laptop (working), and I also cut the wire from the faulty adapter, just the connector part. Then I join the faulty laptop's adapter's connector wire to the working laptop's adapter. Reason because the 2 laptops have different size connector. doh.gif (I planned to join it back later using tapes for the original wire) So now after I have join together I plug the connector to the faulty laptop, with the "brick" adapter from the working laptop. Switch on wall power. To my disappointment, still same. NO LED at the jack. Switch start button, nothing.

So with this I concluded it is NOT adapter problem.

So I proceeded to open up the faulty laptop and I removed the wire from the connector jack to motherboard because I thought it might be jack is problem. And then I use hand to join the wire from adapter directly to the 2 wires that connect power to motherboard. Now I switch on, STILL DEAD like a ghost!

I am rclxub.gif Please help.

This post has been edited by sci-fi: Apr 18 2014, 04:44 PM
alexchew_2020
post Apr 18 2014, 04:43 PM

MOD
3,363 posts

send to shop... mobo dead sweat.gif
atty
post Apr 18 2014, 04:43 PM

Getting Started
228 posts

hmm if you dont see any LED from the laptop, it's usually a mobo problem, since you have already tested with another AC Adapter.

But if you wanna be totally sure you can try removing RAM, HDD, CDROM and see if you get any power LED when trying to turn on the laptop.

If still doesn't, then i'd say it's the mobo.
joefbi
post Apr 18 2014, 06:06 PM

joefbi a.k.a roketx
2,558 posts

yeah..mobo power LED can turn on even minimal hardware. only by using mobo, RAM and CPU u can see POST screen.

when NO led at all, i suspect power supply. but since you already test with other working supply still no sucsess, i now suspect the mobo to be fault.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0133sec    0.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:39 PM