> Lightning protection, Lightning proctection in house

views

weikee
post Apr 18 2014, 03:59 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(exkaizen @ Apr 18 2014, 03:27 PM)
huiyoo.... yeah I got one... but if installing cal-lab much cheaper than those at db... then have to get more cal-lab... biggrin.gif
To me is not about cost. So far Cal-lab proven and safe me few round of hassle. Use belkin before, it fry the belkin and also my equipment. I like protect the equipment in modular and need to be i just change the specific area.
weikee
post Apr 18 2014, 03:59 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(ObeLIsK @ Apr 18 2014, 03:58 PM)
I think he mentioned somewhere it's RM500 onwards for those at db...
I'm using 5  thumbup.gif
Ahh, you beat me...
SUSsupersound
post Apr 18 2014, 04:41 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(mrgoodgood @ Apr 18 2014, 02:30 PM)
No. Unifi signal comes through fibre optic cable, which is not susceptible  to lightning.
Is it? So signal transfer using optical don't have current hmm.gif

QUOTE(weikee @ Apr 18 2014, 03:22 PM)
Unifi is fiber friend. And TNB came replace the burned wires on the TNB poles.
Fiber optic or copper, it is just used to transfer data. And you need current to transfer data. You no need to have much, just extra 10-20A surge are more than enough to fry your appliance.
And if that extra surge of current are really going through electric pole, the damage done won't be just unifi equipment only. You will need to change 50% of the house appliances.

QUOTE(ashly @ Apr 18 2014, 03:26 PM)
I don't wish my house always strike by lightning sweat.gif
But it happened to me in my current house, my modem, CPU and monitor gone...  cry.gif

So I am thinking to add this protection in my new house  icon_rolleyes.gif
Just want to know more for this as I seldom heard people putting this at their house  hmm.gif
Use wireless modem and don't use network cable.
Now Streamyx TM improve the system already, their junction box now comes with auto reset ELCB(think unifi don't have yet), whenever there's thunder storm in my area, I sure can't go online. And once over, I can use it back.
liawei
post Apr 18 2014, 04:54 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(exkaizen @ Apr 18 2014, 03:16 PM)
interested on this... how much is the cost with installation for double story house with astro & streamyx? I have those belkin & cal-lab but if it can stop from surge at earlier stage much better and cost to buy belkin & cal-lab is not cheap as well if you need to buy more than one or two
Exactly. Blocking the surge current at the 1st entry point is definitely more effective.

Imagine this:

Belkxx or others:
1) protects only 1 power socket, how about those direct connections (not using socket) such as air-conditioner, water heater, CCTV, alarm panel, autogate? You can't protect them.
2) to protect more sockets, you need to buy more. Accumulated cost is even higher than whole house lightning surge protection.
3) surge current travelling from power DB --> MCB --> ELCB --> CB --> travel around the house --> meets the Belkxx --> Belkxx divert surge current via earth wire --> earth wire surge current travels back to socket --> DB --> Earth wire --> Earth pit...........Can you imagine: the thieves already broke into your house then only you chase them out?

Professional Surge Protection Device (SPD):
1) Protects everything uses electricity, be it plug/socket or direct connection
2) Imagine this: Block the thieves from entering your house

You know which method make more sense.

Srtarting from RM500 including professional installation with 16mm2 cable, and soil resistence test, electrical safety test by trained professionals to ensure your whole house is protected.

Please leave your details at Professional Lightning Surge Protection, we will come back to you with practical and affordable lightning surge protection solution.

This post has been edited by liawei: Apr 18 2014, 05:02 PM
mrgoodgood
post Apr 18 2014, 04:59 PM

Getting Started
201 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 18 2014, 04:41 PM)
Is it? So signal transfer using optical don't have current hmm.gif
Fiber optic or copper, it is just used to transfer data. And you need current to transfer data. You no need to have much, just extra 10-20A surge are more than enough to fry your appliance.
And if that extra surge of current are really going through electric pole, the damage done won't be just unifi equipment only. You will need to change 50% of the house appliances.
Use wireless modem and don't use network cable.
Now Streamyx TM improve the system already, their junction box now comes with auto reset ELCB(think unifi don't have yet), whenever there's thunder storm in my area, I sure can't go online. And once over, I can use it back.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question402.htm

Fibre optic uses light, not current, to transfer data.
liawei
post Apr 18 2014, 05:37 PM

16 posts

There are some misconceptions here. Let me explain:

1) ELCB is designed to cut off power in the event of current leakage, not surge current. It is not designed to arrest/divert surge current. Perhaps you had the ELCB tripped during lightning strike and you were just plain lucky that the surge current was not strong. In developed countries, it is mandated to have ELCB and SPD (surge protection device) installed in order to get CF for new houses. But in Asia countries, only ELCB made compulsory but SPD is not mandated.

Forget about the rocket science explanation, just remember in short:
ELCB : To protect human
SPD: To protect electrical items
Outdoor lightning rod: To protect building structure

2) Unifi (fiber optic) is immune to lightning surge

3) Streamyx (copper) is very prone to lightning surge damage. Surge current travel through the telephone copper wire and damage your modem, and further downstream. RJ11 surge protection is a must.

4) All surge protection devices rely heavily on the condition of earth connection. The best lightning surge protection is useless if the earth grounding is bad.

5) Don't be surprised, 20% of the houses I visited have electrical safety problems. Some example of the problems:
- earth resistance very high.
- missing earth continuity from socket to DB
- wrong polarity in the socket
- wrong selection of CB, ELCB
- many more.......

People simply take safety for granted.

This is Bolehland, endless possibilities.
SUSsupersound
post Apr 18 2014, 05:43 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(mrgoodgood @ Apr 18 2014, 04:59 PM)
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question402.htm

Fibre optic uses light, not current, to transfer data.
Still, it need to do conversion, right?
mrgoodgood
post Apr 18 2014, 05:51 PM

Getting Started
201 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 18 2014, 05:43 PM)
Yes, and the electrical current doesn't appear from nowhere. It comes from, guess what, the electrical poles.

You should really eat the humble pie and accept a new knowledge/concept here.
liawei
post Apr 18 2014, 05:57 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 18 2014, 05:43 PM)
Since the fiber optic doesn't carry any currents from the port (the TM green box) outside your house to your fiber termination unit inside your house, you are safe. Any decoding/conversion done within your house is safe.
SUSsupersound
post Apr 18 2014, 08:14 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(liawei @ Apr 18 2014, 05:57 PM)
Since the fiber optic doesn't carry any currents from the port (the TM green box) outside your house to your fiber termination unit inside your house, you are safe. Any decoding/conversion done within your house is safe.
But why just the phone related stuffs only fried?
This is something we really look in to it.
As said, if it is from the main electric cable, the damage will be more, but if the damage like isolated like this, I highly doubt it.
If we don't make it clear then same sheet will happen again.
Till today, I fried 4 motherboards, 4 display cards, 4 power supply, 3 modems and 1 cordless phone. All of them are covered under warranty, so FOC, MBs only the network port fried which affecting display card and power supply.
An electrician when have a first glance check already can tell from where the frying job starts.
weikee
post Apr 18 2014, 08:22 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

Auto gate board also fried. Fridge usually won't fry easy because less electronic board. Best of all he using belkin protect the network equipments... It proof again the reliable of belkin.

Fiber will not transmit current or voltage because is only transmit light.

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 18 2014, 08:14 PM)
But why just the phone related stuffs only fried?
This is something we really look in to it.
As said, if it is from the main electric cable, the damage will be more, but if the damage like isolated like this, I highly doubt it.
If we don't make it clear then same sheet will happen again.
Till today, I fried 4 motherboards, 4 display cards, 4 power supply, 3 modems and 1 cordless phone. All of them are covered under warranty, so FOC, MBs only the network port fried which affecting display card and power supply.
An electrician when have a first glance check already can tell from where the frying job starts.
SUSsupersound
post Apr 18 2014, 08:31 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Apr 18 2014, 08:22 PM)
Auto gate board also fried. Fridge usually won't fry easy because less electronic board. Best of all he using belkin protect the network equipments... It proof again the reliable of belkin.

Fiber will not transmit current or voltage because is only transmit light.
Yup, fiber optic does not transmit current during digital stage.
But it will be interesting to know the actual cause on this.
Autogate board need to check the operating voltage, if low voltage type, sure it will blow fast.
And if the lightning really strike the pole, the TNB digital meter will be first to go. Happen to my house once which ended up I got 75% of discount for my bill.
weikee
post Apr 18 2014, 08:51 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Apr 18 2014, 08:31 PM)
Yup, fiber optic does not transmit current during digital stage.
But it will be interesting to know the actual cause on this.
Autogate board need to check the operating voltage, if low voltage type, sure it will blow fast.
And if the lightning really strike the pole, the TNB digital meter will be first to go. Happen to my house once which ended up I got 75% of discount for my bill.
If using non electronic meter it will survive lightning strike.
SUSsupersound
post Apr 18 2014, 09:05 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Apr 18 2014, 08:51 PM)
If using non electronic meter it will survive lightning strike.
Yup, but TNB now are slowly phasing out analog meters.
Even the reading blown, once reset the main fuse, I still have power thumbup.gif
soR
post Apr 18 2014, 09:26 PM

Regular
1,140 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Apr 18 2014, 03:24 PM)
I got 4 cal-labs.
how is the setup of this cal lab?
weikee
post Apr 19 2014, 08:04 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(soR @ Apr 18 2014, 09:26 PM)
how is the setup of this cal lab?
No need to setup, just plug between the wall socket and your equipment. If need more points, just put the extension between the wall socket and the extension.
soR
post May 3 2014, 01:13 PM

Regular
1,140 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Apr 19 2014, 08:04 AM)
No need to setup, just plug between the wall socket and your equipment. If need more points, just put the extension between the wall socket and the extension.
socket - calLab - equiment?
is it like an extension?
weikee
post May 3 2014, 02:15 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(soR @ May 3 2014, 01:13 PM)
socket - calLab - equiment?
is it like an extension?
Yes, make sure tour house / socket earth is working.
exkaizen
post May 12 2014, 08:29 PM

An Area No Kishi !!!
1,555 posts

Got my house installled with SPD.. hopefully it wilk protect all equipment in my house.
megahertz
post May 12 2014, 08:38 PM

i always smiling, problem?
1,843 posts

any1 know how much need to spend if i want SPD installed in my house?

9 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.15    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:36 AM