hirano
post Apr 1 2014, 11:25 PM

凸(`△´#)
3,260 posts

QUOTE(letze @ Mar 27 2014, 03:59 PM)
Great but simple resume should have

Full name (same as in IC)
Current Address
Formal email (like ahmad91@gmail.com, not dark_angel@gmail.com)
phone no that will be answered

Formal dress passport size picture (shirt + ties) remember to smile in the picture  smile.gif

Personal details
- IC no
- Nationality

- about yourself. keep it short, neat and clear.

Career objective
- your objective to work that will benefit the company

Educational background
1. Degree
2. Diploma/ Pre U
3. SPM

Experience
- Relevant working experience.

Company Name :
Tenure :
Position :
Work Description;
Project:

Skills
1. Application (Computer stuff -software)
2. Languages
3. Equipment (eg: Machines)

Attended Courses
- Any professional course that you went

Activities
- Some curriculum in University. Only put something that has an impact.

Job Preference
Available Time :
Expected Monthly Salary:

Reference
-your lecture/supervisor at practical.

Keep all this in 2 pages max. Good luck  icon_rolleyes.gif
No. Dont even bother to put your SPM in there. Employers wont even look at it, even if u are a fresh grad.
deadravel
post Apr 2 2014, 01:20 PM

free RAM =wasted RAM
2,763 posts

resume must attach picture de ar?
i think they will judge u by ur looks first b4 they see ur qualification. LOL
miaopurr
post Apr 2 2014, 08:01 PM

On my way
570 posts

these guys have covered almost everything. good tips.

as a person who used to review candidates, i skipped lengthy resumes.

This post has been edited by miaopurr: Apr 2 2014, 08:01 PM
letze
post Apr 2 2014, 08:38 PM

~Beyond The Hourglass~
925 posts

QUOTE(hirano @ Apr 1 2014, 11:25 PM)
No. Dont even bother to put your SPM in there. Employers wont even look at it, even if u are a fresh grad.
well some company request spm result even we are fresh grad with degree. Eg: Sony, Silterra etc.
TSnicefriendly
post Apr 3 2014, 10:50 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(letze @ Mar 30 2014, 01:38 AM)
Two of  my friends that I know get the job from applying through jobstreet and attend intv and then get the job. Never heard from them jobstreet will take away first month salary. If true lots of people will boycott jobstreet already.
You can just put below reference part "upon request". But better you put name, position, company, email and tel number of your references (Make sure your references know that they will give feedback about you when asked by someone)

Even if you don't list down your ref in resume, you still need to write in work application form (this form you will fill during interview). Usually employer ask 2 -3 persons to be your ref.

FB Id is not needed to include in the resume especially you are graduated in electronic engineering and I assume you're about to apply engineering job.
Unless you are applying a job that more based on your personality and need to meet people a lot, eg: sales, banking, management, store manager etc
Then yes you might need to include your fb id.

However, you can include your linkedin profile and update your info there. It is more professional.  smile.gif
Is it only small number of the companies will request for references? If yes, i will omit the references part and only provide it upon request.

Can i put some people that do not know me very well but they promised to become my referral person in my resume?
I worry some of the people they may forget about me and some may be not too close with me. Like some of my past lecturers, they have teach me before but they may already forget who am i.

QUOTE(J_pandapuppet @ Mar 31 2014, 02:04 PM)
Well, if the result of the image is clear and sharp, it's fine, because when you go for interview you have to submit the hardcopy.

Ans to Q1: No. If someone from the agent recruitment who contacted you for an interview, and after you finish the interview, results that the employer wanted to hire you, the payment should be bare by the respective employer. Not you. Because, they are the one who obtained the services from this recruitment agency to find suitable candidate to fill the job position, you are the only job seeker. In what circumstances, you are not the one who pay nor anything should be deducted from your first month salary. Those are bullshit and not legit. Any agent who told you that or make you sign any agreement who has that particular terms, well, I suggest you to walk away and focus on hunting. As for Jobstreet, there is no such thing. Jobstreet is a job portal for employer and jobseeker. Every advertisement you saw has been paid by the employer so that you get to look what you look at..hahaha..and an opportunity for the employer to find a list of suitable candidate before interview. Nothing is free  icon_rolleyes.gif  laugh.gif

Ans to Q2: For Reference part, the formality is to provide a contact, yes, email or contact number is necessary.

Ans to Q3: No. No one should oblige to include this. If you are not going to be in some hooray-happy-party-socialize job, leave it, even if you do, it's pretty stupid thing to do isn't it.
I heard that some employers will ask other professional company to do background check on the job applicants, is this true?
Will this company only check the background of job applicant by contacting the referral person listed in resume? Or this kind of company will actually work like a detector which do background check with their own methods and exposing all the privacy of the job applicant to their future employer?

QUOTE(epsilon_chinwk86 @ Apr 1 2014, 12:17 PM)
spell check and grammar check lol. And consistency. Standardize all your fonts n sizes. Can use different sizes but make sure it is consistent like title size 14, normal text size 12. Dont mix up the font type.

Dont suka suka bold n italics here n there.

And most importantly

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Once an interviewee made mistake on the product we made. She's hot but in the end still didn't get hired biggrin.gif
So people who is hot or nice looking will have the tendency of getting a job easier compare with others? biggrin.gif

letze
post Apr 3 2014, 11:05 PM

~Beyond The Hourglass~
925 posts

QUOTE(nicefriendly @ Apr 3 2014, 10:50 PM)
Is it only small number of the companies will request for references? If yes, i will omit the references part and only provide it upon request.

Can i put some people that do not know me very well but they promised to become my referral person in my resume?
I worry some of the people they may forget about me and some may be not too close with me. Like some of my past lecturers, they have teach me before but they may already forget who am i.
That's ok. even tough your lec may forget you but they will give +ve feedback about their student when asked.

epsilon_chinwk86
post Apr 4 2014, 07:56 AM

On my way
601 posts

I heard that some employers will ask other professional company to do background check on the job applicants, is this true?
Will this company only check the background of job applicant by contacting the referral person listed in resume? Or this kind of company will actually work like a detector which do background check with their own methods and exposing all the privacy of the job applicant to their future employer?
So people who is hot or nice looking will have the tendency of getting a job easier compare with others? biggrin.gif
If they dont screw up badly and the interviewers are a bunch of horny males then yes.
v1n0d
post Apr 4 2014, 08:08 AM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

QUOTE(nicefriendly @ Mar 25 2014, 03:44 PM)
How a resume can be considered as a good one and have higher chances of getting a job?
One word - concise.

What information i should put into my resume and how detail the information it should be?
Only what is relevant to the job you're applying for. A medal you won in Form 2 is irrelevant.

Are there any information that all employers like to see or they must see?
Your educational background and working experience are very important. Also, your contact details should be clearly visible at a glance.

Is it good to make a resume too long?
No. Most companies have to sift through stacks of resumes, so a short one that cuts to the point is preferred. Also, spell check, nothing says poor quality to detail like a badly worded resume.

Do i need to include a lengthy checklist of all my skills and knowledge?
Remember KISS - Keep It Short & Sweet.

I am using the head photo from my casual photo, do i need to include a formal passport photo?
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to include a picture in your resume. It only encourages people to judge you based on your appearance, and I suggest you do away with this if you want the focus of your resume to be your accomplishments.

Also, I suggest looking up online resume templates and customizing one to suit your needs. Using a generic one just exhibits a lack of effort.
miaopurr
post Apr 4 2014, 09:25 AM

On my way
570 posts

what's the difference if u omit or leave it there in ur CV? just maintain it. up to the interviewers if the choose to contact ur referees or not. as a potential employer, i don't need to trouble myself to contact candidates for their referees.

nope. why don't u call ur lecturers and ask their consent before naming them as referees? at least, it'll refresh their memory.

usually they'll just contact the names u provide in ur CV. some companies require ur referees to complete some questionnaire. they don't hire a third party to background check u. maybe in security industry or military contractors, i dunno. that's why, u name those who actually know u as ur referees.

at least should look presentable la. want to be professional, then act professional.
TSnicefriendly
post Apr 6 2014, 04:15 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Apr 4 2014, 08:08 AM)
One word - concise.
Only what is relevant to the job you're applying for. A medal you won in Form 2 is irrelevant.
Your educational background and working experience are very important. Also, your contact details should be clearly visible at a glance.
No. Most companies have to sift through stacks of resumes, so a short one that cuts to the point is preferred. Also, spell check, nothing says poor quality to detail like a badly worded resume.
Remember KISS - Keep It Short & Sweet.
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to include a picture in your resume. It only encourages people to judge you based on your appearance, and I suggest you do away with this if you want the focus of your resume to be your accomplishments.
Also, I suggest looking up online resume templates and customizing one to suit your needs. Using a generic one just exhibits a lack of effort.
If my CGPA result is not too good, only medium level, should i put it into my resume?

QUOTE(miaopurr @ Apr 4 2014, 09:25 AM)
what's the difference if u omit or leave it there in ur CV? just maintain it. up to the interviewers if the choose to contact ur referees or not. as a potential employer, i don't need to trouble myself to contact candidates for their referees.
nope. why don't u call ur lecturers and ask their consent before naming them as referees? at least, it'll refresh their memory.
usually they'll just contact the names u provide in ur CV. some companies require ur referees to complete some questionnaire. they don't hire a third party to background check u. maybe in security industry or military contractors, i dunno. that's why, u name those who actually know u as ur referees.
at least should look presentable la. want to be professional, then act professional.
Actually in my past resume, i do not include any referee name because i am not aware of this section until i was told by the forumer here. So now i have to find several referees but i really can't find someone that really know me very well. All my lecturers that teach me last time, they handled 200+ of student each year, it is quite difficult for them to remember me. For the manager and supervisor that responsible of my industrial training, i heard that they have leaved the company quite some time ago and i dont have their private contact number.

v1n0d
post Apr 6 2014, 06:00 PM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

QUOTE(nicefriendly @ Apr 6 2014, 04:15 PM)
If my CGPA result is not too good, only medium level, should i put it into my resume?
Actually in my past resume, i do not include any referee name because i am not aware of this section until i was told by the forumer here. So now i have to find several referees but i really can't find someone that really know me very well. All my lecturers that teach me last time, they handled 200+ of student each year, it is quite difficult for them to remember me. For the manager and supervisor that responsible of my industrial training, i heard that they have leaved the company quite some time ago and i dont have their private contact number.
The key is in highlighting what you want to project. Like an essay, you write your resume in such a way that you steer the readers attention where you want it to go. Since you're worried about your low CGPA, draw the focus towards your job experience or any additional skills you may have. In essence, you compensate for your lack of good grades with your working experience.

A good resume is one that is tailored for the position your applying for because of all the little changes you can make to make the company more interested in calling you for an interview. Very few people understand this bit, and I dare say it could have cost them the opportunity of a lifetime.
evolove15
post Apr 7 2014, 09:41 AM

something
687 posts

Unless you are handsome/pretty, don't bother putting a picture there. It does you no good.
evolove15
post Apr 7 2014, 09:59 AM

something
687 posts

QUOTE(nicefriendly @ Apr 6 2014, 04:15 PM)
Usually I do not put my references on my resume as well. If they request, I will provide.

Just get one or two references, even your supervisor from a part-time job is better than nothing. If you are unable to provide any reference, it shows that you are not good enough that people remember you.

Your manager/supervisor who left, you can try to contact the company/uni and see if they can provide a personal email. They should have them on file.

- Your resume should be simple, point-form.
- DO NOT use Jobstreet template. It is so generic, if nothing exceptional I will put it aside.
- Put your details in order of importance.
For example mine:
- Name/Contact details (Email, Nationality, Phone, IC no.)
- Skills/Expertise
- Professional Experience
- Certifications/Courses
- Education Details

Your hobbies are of no importance to the company. You can write how good of a team player, or fast learner you are, but without prove those are just words. They have no value to a hiring manager. They are just looking for people with a specific skill set to fill the position. Your resume is just to get you an interview. You can talk all about your background/hobbies if they are interested.

As someone with minimal working experience, your resume should be no longer than 2 pages. If you have more, you're doing it wrong.
TSnicefriendly
post Apr 9 2014, 12:04 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Apr 6 2014, 06:00 PM)
The key is in highlighting what you want to project. Like an essay, you write your resume in such a way that you steer the readers attention where you want it to go. Since you're worried about your low CGPA, draw the focus towards your job experience or any additional skills you may have. In essence, you compensate for your lack of good grades with your working experience.

A good resume is one that is tailored for the position your applying for because of all the little changes you can make to make the company more interested in calling you for an interview. Very few people understand this bit, and I dare say it could have cost them the opportunity of a lifetime.
Thanks for the tips. I did not realize about this point also.
I will tailor my resume for each company that i apply.

QUOTE(evolove15 @ Apr 7 2014, 09:41 AM)
Unless you are handsome/pretty, don't bother putting a picture there. It does you no good.
Ok, then i will remove my picture from my resume.

QUOTE(evolove15 @ Apr 7 2014, 09:59 AM)
Usually I do not put my references on my resume as well. If they request, I will provide.

Just get one or two references, even your supervisor from a part-time job is better than nothing. If you are unable to provide any reference, it shows that you are not good enough that people remember you.

Your manager/supervisor who left, you can try to contact the company/uni and see if they can provide a personal email. They should have them on file.

- Your resume should be simple, point-form.
- DO NOT use Jobstreet template. It is so generic, if nothing exceptional I will put it aside.
- Put your details in order of importance.
For example mine:
- Name/Contact details (Email, Nationality, Phone, IC no.)
- Skills/Expertise
- Professional Experience
- Certifications/Courses
- Education Details

Your hobbies are of no importance to the company. You can write how good of a team player, or fast learner you are, but without prove those are just words. They have no value to a hiring manager. They are just looking for people with a specific skill set to fill the position. Your resume is just to get you an interview. You can talk all about your background/hobbies if they are interested.

As someone with minimal working experience, your resume should be no longer than 2 pages. If you have more, you're doing it wrong.
Is it convenient to put some people who have work together with me last time but they are not my supervisors or lecturers into the reference part?
All of them are working now, but i dont know how high their position now.

This post has been edited by nicefriendly: Apr 9 2014, 12:07 AM
neozetta
post Apr 9 2014, 10:23 AM

Getting Started
73 posts

Hello,

I am finding job currently and my CGPA result is not too good i can say only medium level. My field is in electronic engineering, previously i worked in my school as assistant for several years and never work outside except a 3 months industry training during my study. 7 months ago i have submitted resume to several company to ask for job but i get no reply so far. Now want to try again.
I got some questions regarding writing a resume:

How a resume can be considered as a good one and have higher chances of getting a job?
What information i should put into my resume and how detail the information it should be?
Are there any information that all employers like to see or they must see?
Is it good to make a resume too long?
Do i need to include a lengthy checklist of all my skills and knowledge?
I am using the head photo from my casual photo, do i need to include a formal passport photo?
Thank you so much...
I assume you send letter?

Don't worries about writing a top class resume, your resume should be clean and straight to the point. You could also make your resume special by putting in extra stuff like your aim of the careers (wanna find big money, wanna be success, etc) and reason of why you choose their company (saw their portfolio, think they are awesome. Big company, etc.)
If this is your first job, don't ask too much of salary. Get the job, start learning, and most importantly, enjoy your work.

I almost forgot, put in references (your lecture, intern boss) contacts. Some company will call.

This post has been edited by neozetta: Apr 9 2014, 10:24 AM
evolove15
post Apr 10 2014, 09:09 AM

something
687 posts

QUOTE(nicefriendly @ Apr 9 2014, 12:04 AM)
Is it convenient to put some people who have work together with me last time but they are not my supervisors or lecturers into the reference part?
All of them are working now, but i dont know how high their position now.
If they have a professional working relationship with you, it would be suitable to put as a reference. The higher standing they are, the better. Your reference will change over time when you gain more working experience.

One important thing to take note is make sure to inform him/her before hand, just for a heads up. It looks bad if the company calls them up and they have no idea who you are or have nothing good to talk about.

Give them a call earlier to see if they would be willing to be your referrer so they can prepare what good things they can say about you.

Good luck.
flyf
post Apr 10 2014, 06:52 PM

12 posts

Let me tell u this.

A good piece of photo worth 50% of your resume.

Maybe 70%.

No. Not your kiddy secondary school one with your blazer kind.
SUSTheOwl
post Apr 12 2014, 06:34 PM

Casual
320 posts

Good thing you changed your avatar. This avatar definitely gives the audience a positive idea of you - courageous,go-getter,adventurous,zorro, hero,cowboy-indians saga,riding away from the sunset towards success, riding into the sunset toward retirement haha I think must be the former.

A much better avatar than the previous one of some baby animal,moving so slowly and looking so timid and helpless. An avatar gives people an impression of you. We choose an avatar that says something about us.
TSnicefriendly
post Apr 17 2014, 12:26 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(neozetta @ Apr 9 2014, 10:23 AM)
I assume you send letter?

Don't worries about writing a top class resume, your resume should be clean and straight to the point. You could also make your resume special by putting in extra stuff like your aim of the careers (wanna find big money, wanna be success, etc) and reason of why you choose their company (saw their portfolio, think they are awesome. Big company, etc.)
If this is your first job, don't ask too much of salary. Get the job, start learning, and most importantly, enjoy your work.

I almost forgot, put in references (your lecture, intern boss) contacts. Some company will call.
Thank for the example.
I think i will apply the job online, like through jobstreet or directly send email to the company with my resume attach to the email.

With a medium level CGPA result in engineering, if i put expected salary RM2000, is this salary considered high or low for first job applicant like me?

QUOTE(evolove15 @ Apr 10 2014, 09:09 AM)
If they have a professional working relationship with you, it would be suitable to put as a reference. The higher standing they are, the better. Your reference will change over time when you gain more working experience.

One important thing to take note is make sure to inform him/her before hand, just for a heads up. It looks bad if the company calls them up and they have no idea who you are or have nothing good to talk about.

Give them a call earlier to see if they would be willing to be your referrer so they can prepare what good things they can say about you.
Good luck.
So normally at which stage of the hiring process the company will call the referrer? Will the company call the referrer even before they contacted the job applicants? Or they will call the referrer only when they have high certainty that they will hire the job applicant?

I ask this because in order to increase the chances of success i plan to apply to multiple companies at once, but i afraid the referrer will get too many phone call from multiple company. Will this happen?

QUOTE(flyf @ Apr 10 2014, 06:52 PM)
Let me tell u this.

A good piece of photo worth 50% of your resume.
Maybe 70%.

No. Not your kiddy secondary school one with your blazer kind.
How can be considered a good piece of photo?
Actually my outer appearance is not too good and not too ugly. But some time when i dont smile i feel my face look like very angry. I afraid if i put photo, it is not that good.

QUOTE(TheOwl @ Apr 12 2014, 06:34 PM)
Good thing you changed your avatar. This avatar definitely gives the audience a positive idea of you - courageous,go-getter,adventurous,zorro, hero,cowboy-indians saga,riding away from the sunset towards success, riding into the sunset toward retirement haha I think must be the former.

A much better avatar than the previous one of some baby animal,moving so slowly and looking so timid and helpless. An avatar gives people an impression of you. We choose an avatar that says something about us.
Yeah, you are correct.
Hopefully my resume will give the same impression to the companies that i apply.
Thanks for teach me the impression thingy. I am actually not good at this.

SUSTheOwl
post Apr 17 2014, 02:06 AM

Casual
320 posts

QUOTE(nicefriendly @ Apr 17 2014, 12:26 AM)
Thank for the example.
I think i will apply the job online, like through jobstreet or directly send email to the company with my resume attach to the email.

With a medium level CGPA result in engineering, if i put expected salary RM2000, is this salary considered high or low for first job applicant like me?
So normally at which stage of the hiring process the company will call the referrer? Will the company call the referrer even before they contacted the job applicants? Or they will call the referrer only when they have high certainty that they will hire the job applicant?

I ask this because in order to increase the chances of success i plan to apply to multiple companies at once, but i afraid the referrer will get too many phone call from multiple company. Will this happen?
How can be considered a good piece of photo?
Actually my outer appearance is not too good and not too ugly. But some time when i dont smile i feel my face look like very angry. I afraid if i put photo, it is not that good.
Yeah, you are correct.
Hopefully my resume will give the same impression to the companies that i apply.
Thanks for teach me the impression thingy. I am actually not good at this.
Hey bro,you're beginning to sound like Hamlet "To be or not to be,that is the question". He tarried around and wasted so much time in the end he did not do anything.

Let me try to answer your questions (you show so much lack of self-confidence. Just go ahead and apply. Are you a man or woman? Be a MAN,for goodness sake) :-

1) Just apply.

2) What's the market rate now? Ask for market rate. Dun care about your CGPA,whatever that is bcs during my time we never used this cgpa thingy as we followed the British system of terms,not semesters and exams at the end of each academic year. We did not do exams 2 or 3 times a year at the end of each sem. I really have no idea what a cgpa is. Your cgpa can be 2 for all I care as long as you can do the job.

3) Most employers prefer to talk directly with you (hence the interview) than call any referee. How you carry yourself and how you speak/answer questions will help them gauge your suitability so behave like a MAN during the interview. If you're going to be timid and behave like a sissy no need to waste time attending an interview.

4) Send in your best shot,a smiling photo.

5) Dun tell me you're going to send in this avatar together with your application? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by TheOwl: Apr 17 2014, 02:10 AM

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0219sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:37 AM