Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis Unifi VS Maxis Fiber , Which 1 Better?

views

IccyAsd
post Mar 7 2014, 01:08 PM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
Staff
819 posts

QUOTE(yhcyber @ Mar 7 2014, 09:33 AM)
Can i know which are a you live? RM118 is a very attractive price! that's why i am asking Maxis Fiber user input, its good to have different opinion, as i do not know how good is the line and service.... my experience on Maxis is only on Broadband CS, i am not sure if the Fiber CS will be another team \ department, any input will be a valuable to me.

We are just comparing this 2 provider as nowadays they are the 2 major player in the market (correct me if i am wrong), and, my area (Setapak) only have these 2 bloody provider also.... whistling.gif  whistling.gif  unless other player will bring up their infra ASAP so that the subscription fees and service quality will be much better due to competition.. rclxm9.gif  rclxm9.gif

More input pls~~ notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
Im from Subang/USJ area, the RM118 promotion is no more now back to RM148. I know a few person around my area switch to Maxis during the RM118 promotion none of them had any issue.
lwk523
post Mar 7 2014, 09:07 PM

Premium Q Trader
1,036 posts

QUOTE(even_steven @ Mar 5 2014, 12:11 PM)
If Maxis in Unifi area, they still use TM infra. Let say there are 10 ports available, 1 will be allocated to Maxis. And let say you encounter any technical issue, you report to Maxis and Maxis will report to TM. The time it take to solve your issue will be longer. Not to mention the tiki taka between TM and Maxis during the process to solve your issue. It's a nightmare.
Thank for sharing. Btw, Is that possible we can terminal upon their bad speed issue without pay the termination fee ?

smile.gif
jim_jim
post Mar 7 2014, 09:39 PM

39 posts

With the new policy which is expected to be implemented in May 2011, TM will have speed limit over a period of 1-2 hours for users who are heavily downloading in the network. Hopefully TM will inform or warn these heavy users(via email or phone) before restricting their speeds.
jim_jim
post Mar 7 2014, 09:42 PM

39 posts

any news from Tmnet - unifi after march got any new promotion? say like lower the price for unifi vip5, vip 10....
evalueshop
post Mar 7 2014, 10:00 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

QUOTE(yhcyber @ Mar 5 2014, 02:06 PM)
Both still uncapped as of today, however, Maxis is start to do some stunt on capping wireless broadband, it seems like it will comes to fixed line sooner or later....
agreed... I was using their BES68 package for 2 months only, they have started to capped from 30GB quota down to 4GB only. doh.gif

Although many users complained to SKMM, but it was not helpful. Their reason is we are without contract. cry.gif

Maxis ppl called me and said that they still provide you unlimited data, just that the speed drop only... rclxub.gif

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=2683022&hl=

This post has been edited by evalueshop: Mar 8 2014, 07:10 PM
piggy84
post Mar 7 2014, 11:48 PM

16 posts

Heard that maxis started quota already. Some get 100gb quota.. Please double confirm in maxis fiber thread
mcfeemo
post May 5 2014, 08:32 PM

Getting Started
294 posts

planning to downgrade to unifi 5mbps... or maxis fibre 10mbps... since now need to pay the bill by myself.. in dilemma
DiRecToRofSaTaN
post Aug 22 2014, 10:52 PM

Regular
1,113 posts

and maxis blocked torrent ?
gkong3
post Aug 24 2014, 01:05 AM

16 posts

Been using Maxis + ASTRO IPTV 10Mbps package since November, so close to a year now. Here are my findings thus far:

1. Bearing in mind that I live in Bangsar, I have experienced no interruption in service. That does not mean there weren't any, only that I did not experience them. Could be while I was asleep, could be when I was outstation, maybe even just plain out of the house. But the times I was personally at home, actively using the Internet? No disruptions noticed.

2. I don't play MMO games, so latency and lag are not deal-killers for me. Having said that, I've done ping tests in Jan of this year to Singapore (SingTel, NUS, SingPost), and they were between 12ms - 50ms, which I figure isn't half bad. Amsterdam is about 350ms, Australia's anywhere between 150ms - 300ms.

3. Maxis does NOT block torrents or other P2P. What it *does* do is heavily throttle the speed of such activity to about 50KBps - 60KBps between 8pm-2am (or 8:30pm-2:30am, as I more often discover). Which is different from blocking, how, you might ask. Well, it turns out if you pay just a little bit more for a 3rd-party VPN service, you can bypass the throttling entirely. And it does NOT throttle from 2am-8pm, so unless you really, really want to watch whatever-it-is that very night itself, you can quite happily set it up and go to sleep. When you wake up, even at 4am, it'll be done. I'm happy to report that my current VPN service is giving me 100% download speeds and up to 90% upload speeds most of the time.

4. You have to ask for a public-facing IP, otherwise Maxis by default puts you behind a NAT (private, non-routable) IP. Not critical unless you, like me, run services (SSH, RDP, DDNS) or want to monitor your CCTV. There is no reason for them to do it, though, so go ahead and ask for the public IP if you *do* need it. If you're using a VPN to tunnel out, you do *not* need a public IP - your VPN connection will give you one.

5. They say there is a 100GB cap; however, the cap is not yet implemented. I don't believe that they ever can or will implement it, but who knows?

The one thing that I will inject a note of caution about is this: Maxis' Home Services made a loss last year. A big one; RM307 million. They'll have to do all sorts of things in order to make money, and it's hard to say what will be what a year from now. It used to be said that nobody ever got fired for buying IBM, so maybe it's true nobody ever got fired for going UniFi (or even hanging on to that Streamyx account).

edit: fixed silly typos (2AM, not 2PM)

edit 2: Whoops! From approximately 2am - 3am on 5 September 2014, there was an outage. Intermittent, but an outage nonetheless.

This post has been edited by gkong3: Sep 5 2014, 05:01 PM
brandonkl
post Aug 24 2014, 03:21 AM

-
579 posts

I have been using Maxis Fiber 20 MB for 2 months. So far I have never experienced any disruptions or anything less than 18 MB download and upload speed whenever I am on-line. Occasionally I do get speed up to 40 to 50 MB especially after midnight. I always do a speedtest whenever I am on-line. I don't play games and I used about 120 GB per month in the last 2 months. So far no complains about Maxis.
nujteel
post Aug 24 2014, 07:02 PM

Getting Started
74 posts

As we are pretty sure that Unifi is considerbly stable as they have provided the Fibre Optic services for quite a long time. I think most of the user in this threat is going to get some insight of the Maxis Home Fibre which is challenging for the market share now with high speed and cheaper price.

Appreciate any existing Maxis Fibre users here can share there experience expecially their location, i.e, Bangsar, Taman Midah, Batu 11, etc as it will be a good reference for user that in the same area as a consideration key whether to take up the plan or vice versa. Hmmm.... hmm.gif
kcp88
post Sep 3 2014, 08:24 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(gkong3 @ Aug 24 2014, 01:05 AM)
Been using Maxis + ASTRO IPTV 10Mbps package since November, so close to a year now. Here are my findings thus far:

4. You have to ask for a public-facing IP, otherwise Maxis by default puts you behind a NAT (private, non-routable) IP. Not critical unless you, like me, run services (SSH, RDP, DDNS) or want to monitor your CCTV. There is no reason for them to do it, though, so go ahead and ask for the public IP if you *do* need it. If you're using a VPN to tunnel out, you do *not* need a public IP - your VPN connection will give you one.

edit: fixed silly typos (2AM, not 2PM)
Huh? Does Maxis Home Fiber comes with a fixed public IP?

This post has been edited by kcp88: Sep 3 2014, 08:25 PM
raynman
post Sep 4 2014, 04:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,153 posts

QUOTE(kcp88 @ Sep 3 2014, 08:24 PM)
Where did he said that it comes with a FIXED public IP?

gkong3
post Sep 5 2014, 05:05 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(raynman @ Sep 4 2014, 04:35 AM)
QUOTE(kcp88 @ Sep 3 2014, 08:24 PM)

Where did he said that it comes with a FIXED public IP?
Indeed, there is no actual need for a fixed public IP, because DDNS will fix the issue, anyway. And Maxis kills the connection every 2 days, so you will lose your Internet connectivity for 1-2 mins while your router reconnects you. This is stupid, and I have absolutely no idea why they do it.
dkk
post Sep 5 2014, 08:18 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
11,400 posts

Does it come with private IP? DDNS wouldn't fix that.
echoesian
post Sep 5 2014, 09:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,257 posts

For those early subscribers for RM118 offer, do you guys still paying the same amount of fee now?
shinyew
post Oct 1 2014, 10:33 PM

21 posts

user posted image
Speed at night by maxis home fiber

This post has been edited by shinyew: Oct 1 2014, 10:34 PM
SUSErgoProxi
post Oct 3 2014, 11:30 AM

Aren't I just good enough to eat?
2,702 posts

QUOTE(shinyew @ Oct 1 2014, 10:33 PM)
user posted image
Speed at night by maxis home fiber
how 'bout durin' workin' hours?

This post has been edited by ErgoProxi: Oct 3 2014, 11:30 AM
shinyew
post Oct 6 2014, 11:17 PM

21 posts

QUOTE(ErgoProxi @ Oct 3 2014, 11:30 AM)
how 'bout durin' workin' hours?
Before 8pm is max speed at 10mb
jinike
post Oct 20 2014, 12:35 PM

Getting Started
267 posts

QUOTE(shinyew @ Oct 6 2014, 11:17 PM)
Before 8pm is max speed at 10mb
no point before 8pm is normal speed, most people using internet is during after work, which is between 8pm -2am...

I was thinking to subscribe to maxis home fibre, I am staying at klang, bdr botanic, is there anyone here using maxis fibre ? if no good, I might as well not to subscribe to maxis fibre .... hmm.gif

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0527sec    0.34    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:59 PM